Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #1501
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Sent you one, spleen.

Good game. I knew I was in trouble when you started laying down the long routes.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #1502
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Pocket Planes: I ended up with two Starship Engines as a result of the Comic-Con event, but no Starship Body. If anyone is interested in a trade, let me know.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #1503
Barkeep49
Coordinator

DK what level are you at?
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #1504
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
DK what level are you at?

Just hit Level 21. I'm flying to all of the Class 2 and 3 cities in South and Central America, and I'm in the process of filling out North America as well. I've got terminals in Chicago, New York, and L.A. as well as a handful of U.S. Class 2 cities.

Current fleet is as follows:
1 Mohawk (2x extended range, runs exclusively between Lima and Easter Island)
4 Birchcraft (2 Passenger, 2 Cargo)
4 Pearjets (2 Passenger, 2 Cargo)
6 AeroEagles (3 Passenger, 3 Cargo)

The FogBuster (8-seater, Class 3) opens up at level 20, and I have the parts to build two of them, but I need to rearrange my hubs before I can use them properly. Currently all my cargo runs through Caracas and all my passengers run through Bogota, but those are Class 2 cities.

Probably more information than anyone here wanted, but too bad.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #1505
wahoomac
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Pocket Planes: I ended up with two Starship Engines as a result of the Comic-Con event, but no Starship Body. If anyone is interested in a trade, let me know.

I got an extra Starship Body, if you want. I ended up with a full set + the extra body, so I don't need anything back.

Wahoo_Mac on Game Center.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #1506
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoomac View Post
I got an extra Starship Body, if you want. I ended up with a full set + the extra body, so I don't need anything back.

Wahoo_Mac on Game Center.

Thank you sir.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 07-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #1507
Barkeep49
Coordinator

So DK has a pretty firm Hub system. I've been going with a different tact: I generally try to fill a plane with the farthest distance possible. If I can't fill a plane this way I choose the nearest city I can brake even flying to (normally requires 2 or 3 slots) and then fill the rest with the most expensive non-layover passengers/cargo I can. Anyone have thoughts about which is the better method?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #1508
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
So DK has a pretty firm Hub system. I've been going with a different tact: I generally try to fill a plane with the farthest distance possible. If I can't fill a plane this way I choose the nearest city I can brake even flying to (normally requires 2 or 3 slots) and then fill the rest with the most expensive non-layover passengers/cargo I can. Anyone have thoughts about which is the better method?

I'm doing something similar to you, except I don't generally deal with layovers much. I have mostly been letting the plane site idle for a job-refresh and hope to be able to launch the plan, full, then. I get good value for every minute in the air, but the more time spent idle is probably very inefficient.

I'd like to go with the hub strategy, but I have trouble pulling the trigger on it.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #1509
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I will say this much for the Hub approach; layovers become a bit of a balancing act. I'm actively trying to keep my layovers between 75% and 90% of capacity. This seems to provide me with the opportunity to usually fill my planes with cargo or passengers all headed to the same destination as soon as they have disembarked their current load in Caracas or Bogota. That being said...

1. Balancing gets a bit tricky when I'm pushing 90% of layover capacity, and sometimes I have to specifically return to my hub with planes at less-than-capacity to relieve the pressure (assuming I can't find enough cargo or passengers to fill out the plane specifically with Bogota or Caracas as their destination).

2. When I get under 75% threshold, I find myself filling out a plane with less-valuable, locally generated passengers or cargo, in order to get the 25% bonus and still build my layover levels back up.

3. It gets really annoying when one of your hubs is closed due to bad weather. I've had half my fleet stuck on the ground before when this happens.

4. There is a limit to how much a hub can support, even with a level 3 upgrade (that's where I'm at with both of my hubs), and I believe I am pretty much at that threshold with my current fleet. I have to move my hubs to bigger cities before I can expand my fleet any further.
Allegiances:
Awards:

Last edited by DataKing : 07-18-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #1510
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I've got a couple apps that started crashing every so often, but now crash all the time before I can do anything. Is there a common fix for this? Or is it just that my 3G can't handle them (even though they used to be able to fine)?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #1511
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I've got a couple apps that started crashing every so often, but now crash all the time before I can do anything. Is there a common fix for this? Or is it just that my 3G can't handle them (even though they used to be able to fine)?

Which apps are they?

Did you recently update these apps?

It may be possible that your 3G can't handle them, no matter what you do. I'd be willing to guess that's the cause of it but just wanted to ask to be sure.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #1512
spleen1015
Coordinator

Great game, brit. You almost had me. I got the last 2 cards I needed to finish my last route the turn before you went to 0 wagons. Very lucky, I was.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #1513
britrock88
Pro Starter

Yeah, nice game. A shame I couldn't knock you off with a 45-car route!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #1514
AnalBumCover
College Starter

One of my planes was flying upside down!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #1515
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

New Star Soccer did this for me. Was a really fun time waster but not enough so to go on the forums and get a fix. Shame though really enjoyed that one.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #1516
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
New Star Soccer did this for me. Was a really fun time waster but not enough so to go on the forums and get a fix. Shame though really enjoyed that one.

Double tap the home key to bring up active apps, hold down on one, close the ones you're not using. I was told to do this daily. No clue if it's valid or not but I haven't had any crashes for a couple of weeks.

Last edited by rowech : 07-19-2012 at 09:50 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #1517
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Double tap the home key to bring up active apps, hold down on one, close the ones you're not using. I was told to do this daily. No clue if it's valid or not but I haven't had any crashes for a couple of weeks.

Thanks but my problem is problem a glitch that happened when I ordered the pay version. Now every time I attempt to start up New Star Soccer it brings up the "Enter Apple Password" notification box and then after I enter it crashes. I tried deleting and reloading and it still does the same thing. Maybe I will head over to their forum tonight its not like I am doing anything super productive.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #1518
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Pocket Planes: a little time-saving trick I accidentally discovered. When loading a plane, tap and hold the Load button and after about a second the plane will fill available spots with passengers and cargo going to the same destination city.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #1519
QuikSand
lolzcat

My 6yo daughter and I are enjoying Pocket Planes a good bit, thanks for the tip, all.

We're still mired in the 1-2 seat stages, so anyone who has junk that's giftable, I'm Quik$and and in the FOFC group (whatever that means).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #1520
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

spleen: Thanks for handing me my tuckus in TTR. I very obviously don't get the strategy of that game (hell it was only halfway into our game that I learned you didn't have to pick from the face-up cards :facepalm. You up for playing again? I'll challenge if you are.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #1521
britrock88
Pro Starter

GG, spleen. Quite a number of cross-country tickets you were able to punch there. I'm going to wait a couple days to send you a new one so I can get through studying/exams first.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #1522
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Pocket Planes: a little time-saving trick I accidentally discovered. When loading a plane, tap and hold the Load button and after about a second the plane will fill available spots with passengers and cargo going to the same destination city.

Tried this but didn't work - maybe just for larger planes?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #1523
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Tried this but didn't work - maybe just for larger planes?

Check to make sure you hate the latest version. This functionality came with the most recent patch.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #1524
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Which apps are they?

Did you recently update these apps?

It may be possible that your 3G can't handle them, no matter what you do. I'd be willing to guess that's the cause of it but just wanted to ask to be sure.

New Star Soccer
Euchre Online
Dice Soccer crashes every so often, but is still playable.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #1525
QuikSand
lolzcat

Still way behind the hotshots in Pocket Planes, but I bet I outpace you all in pink aircraft. My daughter loves the painting and costumes, and is solid with flight strategy as well. We just broke into Bogota and Caracas, and can start using level 2 airports more wisely. Fun game.

Last edited by QuikSand : 07-26-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #1526
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Busted out my first Class 3 aircraft yesterday (Fogbusters) in order to cash in on the Olympics in London.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 07-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #1527
rowech
Pro Starter

What is he general opinion of Splashtop?n is it a safe program to use? How much info would splashtop get off my computer?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #1528
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Don't know much about Splashtop. I use RDP Lite on my iPad to remote desktop. I use it in conjunction with the Cisco VPN software to remote desktop from my iPad into my work computer. Works like a champ. Actually, I can use both on my iPhone, too, but the screen is so small it ends up requiring a bit of navigation...too much.

On the game front, either Touch Arcade or TUAW did a little thing last week about the game 10000000 (7 0's). It's a $1.99 universal app that is a spin on the match-3 game. Kind of like Puzzle Quest, you match the items to make attacks, unlock doors, or gather materials to make your weapons and such stronger. It's simple in design and concept but I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did Puzzle Quest. The web-version of the iTunes store link is here: App Store - 10000000

Ah, it was Touch Arcade. This is the review I read that got me into it: 10000000 Review | Touch Arcade

Edit to add:Touch Arcade also did an interview with the guy that made the game as a part of their podcast, in case anyone is interested: http://toucharcade.com/2012/08/01/th...y-eight-games/

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 08-01-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #1529
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,

Amazon today released an Amazon Instant Video app for iPad only. As on the Roku and other devices, Amazon Prime members stream the Prime Instant Videos for free. Or, you can rent or buy any of the other videos from the Amazon Instant Video store. If you buy or rent them, you can download them to the iPad for offline viewing (or so I've read--haven't tried it yet).

If this ever comes to Apple TV, I might trade out my Roku for an Apple TV. I'm surprised that Amazon offers the app and that Apple allows it...this is one thing that used to be "Amazon Fire only." It's nice to see it on the iPad now, too.

/tk
Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #1530
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
On the game front, either Touch Arcade or TUAW did a little thing last week about the game 10000000 (7 0's). It's a $1.99 universal app that is a spin on the match-3 game. Kind of like Puzzle Quest, you match the items to make attacks, unlock doors, or gather materials to make your weapons and such stronger. It's simple in design and concept but I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did Puzzle Quest. The web-version of the iTunes store link is here: App Store - 10000000

Ah, it was Touch Arcade. This is the review I read that got me into it: 10000000 Review | Touch Arcade

Edit to add:Touch Arcade also did an interview with the guy that made the game as a part of their podcast, in case anyone is interested: The TouchArcade Show - Bonus - Interview With Eighty Eight Games | Touch Arcade

/tk

10000000 is a great game. Very addicting....
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #1531
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the heads up, tk
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #1532
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Dola,

Amazon today released an Amazon Instant Video app for iPad only. As on the Roku and other devices, Amazon Prime members stream the Prime Instant Videos for free. Or, you can rent or buy any of the other videos from the Amazon Instant Video store. If you buy or rent them, you can download them to the iPad for offline viewing (or so I've read--haven't tried it yet).

If this ever comes to Apple TV, I might trade out my Roku for an Apple TV. I'm surprised that Amazon offers the app and that Apple allows it...this is one thing that used to be "Amazon Fire only." It's nice to see it on the iPad now, too.

/tk

Yep. The only downside is that the iPad app doesn't support Airplay Mirroring to Apple TV.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #1533
QuikSand
lolzcat

Pocket Planes update.

Game has mostly run its course for me, though I'm still at it. We started in Central America, and now cover the major cities in both NA and SA, plus Honolulu and most recently into London, Lagos, and Istanbul. I am enthralled by loading up for the big super flight, even though I suspect it's an imperfect strategy overall.

Would be game for making a team effort on a global event at some point,mthat might be an interesting twist. for now, thinking Honolulu to Tokyo is my main goal.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #1534
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

On a related note, I've been playing Tiny Tower for ages and am still playing it. My tower is up to 148 floors, I've gotten all the achievements, and only have 2 of the "weekly" challenges left. I admit, I don't play it "a lot," but I play when I need to calm down...there is something I find oddly relaxing about stocking, finding homes for residents, trying to get the "optimal" residents, etc. Nimblebit has made two recent updates which are kinda cool:
1) you can now save VIPs. This makes it so that you can save up to 5 VIPs, such as real estate agents or construction workers, which is particularly helpful
2) You can now trade in bux (a lot of bux) to select which type of floor will be built, or you can select a random floor for just the cost of building the floor (no extra bux).

I've played so much that I only have 2 or 3 types of each floor type left that I can build. I don't know what I'm going to do when I've built all the floors that there are to build...

/tk
Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #1535
Izulde
Head Coach

Kairosoft releases Cafeteria Nippon for IOS.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #1536
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Hell yes. Something better, finally!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #1537
Izulde
Head Coach

Yeah I haven't bought it yet, but it's got to be better than the shitfest couple releases they had prior to this. Venture Towns and Epic Astro Story both sucked the big one.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #1538
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Yeah I haven't bought it yet, but it's got to be better than the shitfest couple releases they had prior to this. Venture Towns and Epic Astro Story both sucked the big one.

I am playing it right now. Definitely much much MUCH better than Veture Towns and Epic Astro.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #1539
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I like match-3 games with RPG elements. I bought 10000000, then saw another one called Puzzle Dungeons that I bought too but both these were of the "switch two tiles to make matches" type of match-3 game and I have now realized that I like these games much more when you trace a line of similar items, à la Dungeon Raid. Now I think I've found one that's pretty awesome: Puzzle Craft.

Part town build, part match-3 line sequence game, it is very neat. You collect items by matching up, then use the collected items to improve your town. You can either harvest or mine, two places where you collect different types of items. You can after that hire people that will make you collect items faster, or build buildings that will allow you to increase what types of good items will appear when you play. Every mini game is a finite number of turns, so in that, it's a bit more casual, no clock battle per se.

I like it a lot, it's selling for 99 cents...

FM
Old 08-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #1540
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
CURSE YOU FM!

I'm addicted.

For my front-three, I have

MID Steve Jeopary
FWD Ray Beeze - CF
FWD Antonio Lucacci

Damn near unstoppable because of the Through Ball mechanic, and Ray Beeze's 1-1-1-2-6-7 stat!

Breeze and Jeopardy together just rock. I put them together somewhere in Season 2, and I've finished Season 4 without ever replacing them, just bringing in new center forwards. Since Season 5 is "Coming Soon" I'm getting bummed that I can't figure out how to do multi-player. It keeps telling me to use the most recent version, but when I go to the app store, there's no update for it.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #1541
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Epic Meal Time game is pretty fun if you like the show.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #1542
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I like match-3 games with RPG elements. I bought 10000000, then saw another one called Puzzle Dungeons that I bought too but both these were of the "switch two tiles to make matches" type of match-3 game and I have now realized that I like these games much more when you trace a line of similar items, à la Dungeon Raid. Now I think I've found one that's pretty awesome: Puzzle Craft.

Part town build, part match-3 line sequence game, it is very neat. You collect items by matching up, then use the collected items to improve your town. You can either harvest or mine, two places where you collect different types of items. You can after that hire people that will make you collect items faster, or build buildings that will allow you to increase what types of good items will appear when you play. Every mini game is a finite number of turns, so in that, it's a bit more casual, no clock battle per se.

I like it a lot, it's selling for 99 cents...

FM
You might like Cradle of Rome 2 (which I guess is selling for 4.99 now; I know I got it for either free or .99).
Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #1543
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Just got PuzzleCraft (99cents), which is combi Match-3 game with a townbuilding aspect. There is IAP involved but I haven't reached a stage yet where I actually need to spend real money to progress.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #1544
QuikSand
lolzcat

There's a global Pocket Planes event in Delhi for the next few days, Elisa and I are going after the bonus as part of the FOFC flight crew. We were already there, now upgraded our airport there, we're in.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #1545
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
Just got PuzzleCraft (99cents), which is combi Match-3 game with a townbuilding aspect. There is IAP involved but I haven't reached a stage yet where I actually need to spend real money to progress.

I'm addicted to PuzzleCraft right now. Great game and well worth $0.99. I'm at the point where I get a bunch of diamonds and gold nuggets as well as cows and apples. My next step is to get a City Hall.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #1546
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I'm addicted to PuzzleCraft right now. Great game and well worth $0.99. I'm at the point where I get a bunch of diamonds and gold nuggets as well as cows and apples. My next step is to get a City Hall.

Dang, you must be playing a whole lot more than I do. I've yet to see diamonds and cows in my game... But I really like it. I find it casual, yet with a purpose. And all the bonus you get in game make it fun to play the minigames without feeling like you absolutely have to spend realy money...

FM
Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #1547
Raiders Army
Coordinator

That's true, but it's pretty easy to get to the diamonds/gold and apples/cows. (BTW the apples look like tomatoes to me)

Strategy-wise, workers are your best bet. Don't buy the workers in the hire workers screen. They really make it easy to get materials.

I'm having a hard time getting enough building blocks and dirt at this point. I have diamonds/gold and apples/cows appearing sporadically when I mine/farm, which makes it easier. I don't even use many tools at this point.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #1548
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Got my castle yesterday in PuzzleCraft. Nice game and I didn't have to do any in-app purchases to get everything. Still working on getting all the workers though.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #1549
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Got my castle yesterday in PuzzleCraft. Nice game and I didn't have to do any in-app purchases to get everything. Still working on getting all the workers though.

that's cool. I've really slowed down my Puzzle Craft playing lately as I just rediscovered Junk Jack.

JJ is a Terraria type 2D mining/crafting/farming/breeding type of game. They added breeding or at least I realized it was in the game with the latest update. I'm playing it kinda hardcore in that I'm not looking on the web to get the crafting recipes. In game, you get them from crates you find while digging, so I'm digging around and learning. Not even up to farming or breeding yet but looking forward to it...

FM
Old 09-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #1550
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The iOS App of the Week at Starbucks this week (until Tuesday) is Scribblenauts Remix. I found this out from a number of Apple-related websites that said it was worth picking up. It's normally 99 cents, so I guess it isn't that much of a deal, but if you have a Starbucks near you, you might want to try to get a code. Scribblenauts Remix Site (beware the site makes noise at you by default and you have to hit TWO off switches...this alone makes me not want to pay them 99 cents). Apparently the game is for iPhone and iPad and uses iCloud synchronization to allow seamless switching between devices.

Anyway, I have 3 codes to give. If you want a code, post here in the thread. First 3 get 'em. Valid only in the US app store, per the back of the card...

/tk