Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #1501
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
By decline, do you mean less are being made or the ones being made aren't any good? Or both?

Probably both now that you say it, but I was referring to the decline of their percentage of total television.

1999 was topped by Who Wants To Be A Millionaire but otherwise most of the non-sports entries were standard scripted series.

Also, as far as streaming goes, that also fits in with the same fragmentation that cable created before. It just makes it that much harder for anything to get any sort of critical mass.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:33 PM   #1502
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Tua has declared!

Time for the Lions to wheel and deal and trade out of the 3rd overall spot! Then again, I am sure Quinntricia would screw it up somehow. I hate that I hate the Lions GM and head coach, but I do. They are awful.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #1503
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Tua has declared!

Time for the Lions to wheel and deal and trade out of the 3rd overall spot! Then again, I am sure Quinntricia would screw it up somehow. I hate that I hate the Lions GM and head coach, but I do. They are awful.

Trading up to the 3 spot for Tua would be dumb. He always seemed overrated to me and now has a worrying injury history.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #1504
sabotai
General Manager

Matt Rhule to Carolina, and the Giants are hiring Joe Judge, NE Special Teams Coordinator, as their next HC.

Giants subreddit is acting like the sky is falling and they're the new Browns, but I don't hate the hire as I don't know much about him.

Honestly, I was very worried about Matt Rhule, being as he's spent just about his entire coaching career in college. And Carolina just gave him a 7-year, $60M deal.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #1505
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think I'd much prefer a college HC over an NFL special teams co-ordinator? I don't know anything about him either, but if we're knocking experience I know which one I'd be infinitely more concerned about.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:10 PM   #1506
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

As a giants fan I am skeptical of the hire at best. He was also the Pats WR coach and as a unit they were awful. It screams of him being hired just because he comes from the pats, but BBs coaching tree isn’t all that impressive.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #1507
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
As a giants fan I am skeptical of the hire at best. He was also the Pats WR coach and as a unit they were awful. It screams of him being hired just because he comes from the pats, but BBs coaching tree isn’t all that impressive.

It certainly is not!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #1508
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I think I'd much prefer a college HC over an NFL special teams co-ordinator? I don't know anything about him either, but if we're knocking experience I know which one I'd be infinitely more concerned about.
I'm not sure about that. I think I'd prefer the coach have been an NFL OC/DC - but Special Teams (a la John Harbaugh) is OK as well. I think having experience running a unit of professional players is very helpful when becoming a head coach. We have examples of both types from this year with Kingsbury in AZ and LaFleur in GB. Given I live in AZ, I've followed both pretty close. I think Kliff could end up being a pretty good coach, but he wasn't nearly as buttoned up as LaFleur in running a program. College is such a different animal with practice restrictions, younger players, simpler schemes and not really having to deal with players making more than you (atleast above the table ). Rhule seems like a pretty smart guy, but I'm not sure he's prepared to run a locker room of 53 professionals. Now, if you were a coordinator in the NFL and then become a college coach - I think that's different. But Rhule has been in college nearly his whole coaching career.

Last edited by Arles : 01-07-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #1509
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I'm not sure about that. I think I'd prefer the coach have been an NFL OC/DC - but Special Teams (a la John Harbaugh) is OK as well.

Put me in this camp as well, fwiw.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #1510
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. I think I'd prefer the coach have been an NFL OC/DC - but Special Teams (a la John Harbaugh) is OK as well. I think having experience running a unit of professional players is very helpful when becoming a head coach. We have examples of both types from this year with Kingsbury in AZ and LaFleur in GB. Given I live in AZ, I've followed both pretty close. I think Kliff could end up being a pretty good coach, but he wasn't nearly as buttoned up as LaFleur in running a program. College is such a different animal with practice restrictions, younger players, simpler schemes and not really having to deal with players making more than you (atleast above the table ). Rhule seems like a pretty smart guy, but I'm not sure he's prepared to run a locker room of 53 professionals. Now, if you were a coordinator in the NFL and then become a college coach - I think that's different. But Rhule has been in college nearly his whole coaching career.

To be fair, Kliff was a FAILED college coach as well. At least Rhule won at the college level at multiple stops.

But I agree I think NFL experience is a must in today's NFL.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #1511
Atocep
Coordinator

I think the NFL does a terrible job of hiring by using success as a coordinator to narrow down coaching candidates. The skills needed to be a successful head coach don't match up very much with what's needed to be a successful coordinator. Organization, Motivation, talent evaluation, and communication are the top skills for head coaches while Xs and Os tend to top everything else as a coordinator.

Judge was very high on WVU's list last year and after Holgorsen the WVU athletic department was strongly looking for an improvement in the Organization, motivation, and communication areas.

The thing I like about Rhule is he's one of the few top college candidates that really isn't married to a particular system. His success has been based more on the skills listed above more than having a great system or superior talent.

Both are leaps of faith in different ways, but I'd rather see my team hire one of these guys than jumping back into the cycle of retreads.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #1512
RainMaker
General Manager

Rhule has a pretty nice resume. Takes terrible teams and turns them around. It's not a recruiting thing either. Like that Baylor team this year was starting most of the guys who were on their 1-11 squad.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:12 PM   #1513
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. I think I'd prefer the coach have been an NFL OC/DC - but Special Teams (a la John Harbaugh) is OK as well. I think having experience running a unit of professional players is very helpful when becoming a head coach.

I think this is a bit of a disingenuous comparison, to be honest. Harbaugh had 30 years in football including being a position coach multiple times, plus 9 years as the Eagles ST coordinator (and the bloodlines if you think that makes a difference). Ironically he wasn't the ST coordinator when he got hired as the Ravens HC, as he thought he'd never get a head coaching job that way.

Compared to a guy who has 4 years as a ST coordinator, assistant jobs before that and a year as a position coach (dual responsibility, but still) for the unit that is widely being blamed for the Pats being out of the playoffs? Yeah, I don't really see it. I'd definitely take Rhule every day of the week, given overall experience and the job he's done two tough places as an HC, even if it is in college.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:29 PM   #1514
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I think the NFL does a terrible job of hiring by using success as a coordinator to narrow down coaching candidates. The skills needed to be a successful head coach don't match up very much with what's needed to be a successful coordinator. Organization, Motivation, talent evaluation, and communication are the top skills for head coaches while Xs and Os tend to top everything else as a coordinator.

Completely agree with this. I'm dumbfounded that NFL teams continue to fixate on this concept that good coordinator equates to good head coaching candidate.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:40 PM   #1515
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The best thing about the majority of these coaching hires is that we will have a firm answer as to whether they were a mistake within 3 years.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:50 PM   #1516
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seems like Carolina should move up to #3 and take Tua or Herbert I’d think. Or at least trade up to #32 and grab whatever QB is left(Eason, Fromm,etc).
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:14 AM   #1517
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Seems like Carolina should move up to #3 and take Tua or Herbert I’d think. Or at least trade up to #32 and grab whatever QB is left(Eason, Fromm,etc).

The Lions need to take Tua or trade down.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #1518
QuikSand
lolzcat

Miami is surely in the mix for Tua, they have been enchanted for quite some time. I'm not sure what fever there will be for him, given his injury, and the way Burrow just stole his spotlight this season.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:48 PM   #1519
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The best thing about the majority of these coaching hires is that we will have a firm answer as to whether they were a mistake within 3 years.

But will we? Was Belichick a mistake in Cleveland? After three years?
Old 01-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #1520
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sources - Eagles quarterback Josh McCown played with torn hamstring against Seahawks
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #1521
AlexB
Pro Starter

That was an impressive drive
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:15 PM   #1522
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well don't think many people were predicting Tenn up 14-0 at the half...
Old 01-11-2020, 08:54 PM   #1523
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Well don't think many people were predicting Tenn up 14-0 at the half...

Ravens would be looking somewhat better if they could manage not to drop wide open passes.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #1524
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here is Bill Cowher finding out he was selected for the HOF

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-11-2020 at 09:18 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:19 PM   #1525
cuervo72
Head Coach

Saw that live. It was a good TV moment.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:32 PM   #1526
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I'm really liking Arthur Smith's play calling the past two weeks.

Also, does Lamar Jackson get tagged with the can't win big/playoff/important/etc. games label after last year and this year? And as I write this, I acknowledge there is quite a bit of time left still.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 01-11-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #1527
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I'm really liking Arthur Smith's play calling the past two weeks.

Also, does Lamar Jackson get tagged with the can't win big/playoff/important/etc. games label after last year and this year? And as I write this, I acknowledge there is quite a bit of time left still.

Hard to put this one all on him. Tons of drops, o-line got no push on the 4th down tries, the throw to Andrews was a bit high but he could have caught it. He looks a little off, but the whole team does.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #1528
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

hahahahahahahaha

literally as I type that he throws an all time terrible pass.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:38 PM   #1529
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Vrabel is a hell of a coach. Is he the first from the Belichick tree to be great?
Old 01-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #1530
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Vrabel is a hell of a coach. Is he the first from the Belichick tree to be great?

Not really from the Belichick tree is he? Unless you count time as a player.

I'm all in on him as the next big NFL coach after watching the Titans last week and and this week. His teams are prepared and well coached.

Last edited by Atocep : 01-11-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #1531
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Ravens are getting absolutely dominated on the line on both sides of the ball. This is nuts.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:48 PM   #1532
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Hard to put this one all on him. Tons of drops, o-line got no push on the 4th down tries, the throw to Andrews was a bit high but he could have caught it. He looks a little off, but the whole team does.

I don't disagree that it shouldn't be put all on him. That being said, it's usually the quarterback that takes the blame, regardless of performance.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:52 PM   #1533
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I don't disagree that it shouldn't be put all on him. That being said, it's usually the quarterback that takes the blame, regardless of performance.

Oh yeah. Ravens twitter is gold right now. People saying they need a different QB and such.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #1534
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh yeah. Ravens twitter is gold right now. People saying they need a different QB and such.

I'd gladly give them Trubisky plus any other player on the Bears roster in exchange for Jackson.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:00 PM   #1535
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Not really from the Belichick tree is he? Unless you count time as a player.

I'm all in on him as the next big NFL coach after watching the Titans last week and and this week. His teams are prepared and well coached.

My bad. I thought he was a position coach in NE.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:11 PM   #1536
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Let's not forget how the Ravens fans booed him off the field in the playoffs last year.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:19 PM   #1537
bhlloy
Coordinator

His receivers have flat out let him down to be fair. Funny to compare this to all the excuses made for Brady, who at least has Edelman.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:37 PM   #1538
Thomkal
Head Coach

So if I had a vote for GM of the year, it would probably go to the Titans GM who traded for Tannehill. What a rags to riches story for Tannehill.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:39 PM   #1539
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So if I had a vote for GM of the year, it would probably go to the Titans GM who traded for Tannehill. What a rags to riches story for Tannehill.

And what an indictment of Adam Gase.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:41 PM   #1540
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I wonder ... how many QBs have won 2 playoff games in a row with 160 yards total passing?
Old 01-11-2020, 11:10 PM   #1541
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Lions need to take Tua or trade down.

Drafting an often injured QB to replace a QB with a bad back would be a typical Lions move since no Tight Ends are available at 3. Fortunately, Quinn and Patricia got told to win now or else so that won't be happening and the new GM can draft Trevor Lawrence in 2021 after this season's 3-13 or worse.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:25 PM   #1542
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I wonder ... how many QBs have won 2 playoff games in a row with 160 yards total passing?

Only a pair of Hall of Famers.

Bob Griese appears to have had 99 total yards passing combined between the 1973 Conference championship and Super Bowl.

Terry Bradshaw wasn’t too far ahead of Tannehill, with 179 yards combined between the 1974 Conference Championship and Super Bowl.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:37 PM   #1543
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Only a pair of Hall of Famers.

Bob Griese appears to have had 99 total yards passing combined between the 1973 Conference championship and Super Bowl.

Terry Bradshaw wasn’t too far ahead of Tannehill, with 179 yards combined between the 1974 Conference Championship and Super Bowl.

So, like, 46 years. Daaaaamn.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-11-2020 at 11:37 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:49 AM   #1544
bhlloy
Coordinator

The narrative already seems to be putting the blame squarely on Lamar, that's just not the game I watched. I guess it's always going to be shocking when the MVP QB has a below average game in the playoffs and loses, but man. The Ravens just did not show up to play across the board.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #1545
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

If teams try and all out completely to stop the run Tannehill is quite capable with Brown, Davis,Sharpe and Smith of throwing for 400+ yards . In the end the Titans are that hot team that has a ton of confidence which breeds “momentum”. Also, there opponents are not taking them seriously I think too.

Last edited by Galaril : 01-12-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #1546
QuikSand
lolzcat

Baltimore is reeling...
Old 01-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #1547
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Baltimore is reeling...

?
Old 01-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #1548
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sorry, I wasn't fully clear. In addition to being the first name of a football team, "Baltimore" also refers to an American city in Maryland. That's my reference above, thread title notwithstanding.

The city, in recent years weighed down by a rampant crime problem, public corruption, and many lingering elements of systemic racism and bias, managed to rally around the football team in a pretty public way. Not as a true substitute for the policy and leadership that might help the City through these difficult times, but as a focus for optimism... a bit like New Orleans and their Saints, post-Katrina.

The Ravens' collapse and elimination has hit the city hard. There were 12 shootings in the city last night, I believe five fatal. I work in Maryland politics, and am already hearing a lot from various non-sports people that the city really "needed" to have something to rally around.

Baltimore is reeling.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #1549
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The narrative already seems to be putting the blame squarely on Lamar, that's just not the game I watched. I guess it's always going to be shocking when the MVP QB has a below average game in the playoffs and loses, but man. The Ravens just did not show up to play across the board.

He had shaky moments, but his receivers were horrible, way too many drops and they got owned at the LOS.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #1550
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Sorry, I wasn't fully clear. In addition to being the first name of a football team, "Baltimore" also refers to an American city in Maryland. That's my reference above, thread title notwithstanding.

The city, in recent years weighed down by a rampant crime problem, public corruption, and many lingering elements of systemic racism and bias, managed to rally around the football team in a pretty public way. Not as a true substitute for the policy and leadership that might help the City through these difficult times, but as a focus for optimism... a bit like New Orleans and their Saints, post-Katrina.

The Ravens' collapse and elimination has hit the city hard. There were 12 shootings in the city last night, I believe five fatal. I work in Maryland politics, and am already hearing a lot from various non-sports people that the city really "needed" to have something to rally around.

Baltimore is reeling.

Oh, I thought you meant something specific had happen with the team this morning.