Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
There ya go. Twenty percent.

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #1502
Logan
Head Coach

20% too long?

That was my puzzled guess when I read that.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #1503
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
20% too long?

That was my puzzled guess when I read that.

I'll take your word.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #1504
korme
Go Reds

Philadelphia (1993) - It was ok, not as good as I was expecting it to be. Young Tom and Denzel deliver as usual, but many parts felt contrived. 7/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #1505
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
There ya go. Twenty percent.

My man!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #1506
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
American Gangser - 9/10 Yes it was long, but I love Denzel Washington and I really loved this movie.

We're gonna watch it this weekend.

I watched

Disco Godfather - 3.0/10

I was expecting it to be similar to the Dolemite movies but it wasn't. A lot of music and dancing, but I was expecting more fight scenes and was dissapointed when I only saw 1, but then again I fell asleep through the last part of it so there might have been more.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #1507
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
I'm way younger than Bucc and I give the stink-eye when I hear all the rave about sci-fi movies

Bucc didn't specify scifi alone. I gathered he was including scifi in all its forms, including its original written medium. And to that I say fie on him. Scifi books are terrific.

I tend to agree with you both that scifi movies are rather hit and miss.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #1508
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
We're gonna watch it this weekend.

I watched

Disco Godfather - 3.0/10

I was expecting it to be similar to the Dolemite movies but it wasn't. A lot of music and dancing, but I was expecting more fight scenes and was dissapointed when I only saw 1, but then again I fell asleep through the last part of it so there might have been more.

Never heard of that one.. but now I know to stay away from it!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #1509
Flasch186
Coordinator

Balls of Fury 3/10

not absolutely terrible but not average either. funny in parts and I love the lead but it aint very good.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #1510
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Balls of Fury 3/10

not absolutely terrible but not average either. funny in parts and I love the lead but it aint very good.

The chick in it was worth +2 atleast.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #1511
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I have been in a WW2 mode lately and watched Saving Private Ryan again. The opening 24-minutes get more fun to watch the more times you see it, esp. frame by frame. And the same scene was a great rush to play in Medal of Honor. Conversely, I rarely cry when watching movie scenes but the one scene that gets me everytime is when Ryan's mother goes out on the porch and collapses when priest gets out of the car. The grief to know that your son is dead and to think that she will be told that three of her sons are dead is indescribable for me. 9.5/10
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:55 AM   #1512
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I have been in a WW2 mode lately and watched Saving Private Ryan again. The opening 24-minutes get more fun to watch the more times you see it, esp. frame by frame. And the same scene was a great rush to play in Medal of Honor. Conversely, I rarely cry when watching movie scenes but the one scene that gets me everytime is when Ryan's mother goes out on the porch and collapses when priest gets out of the car. The grief to know that your son is dead and to think that she will be told that three of her sons are dead is indescribable for me. 9.5/10

Fun to watch? I don't think any part of that movie is fun to watch. It's fantastic and in my opinion, the best war movie ever made. The scene that is tough for me to watch is when they're all huddled around trying to save the medic and they can't do a thing for him. That one is tough for me.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #1513
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I was talking specifically about the opening 24-minutes. I've seen that enough times that I can appreciate the artistry and production values.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #1514
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Saving Private Ryan is an excellent movie. I never liked the very end where they have that old guy Ryan standing in front of the grave marker crying. Like the pile of stones scene at the end of Schindler's List, I felt it completely unnecessary and a bit jarring.

I remember seeing it for the first time with a friend of mine who can't tolerate gore of any kind. He gets sick at the sight of it. We were standing in line for the movie and he asks another friend, "This is war movie. You think it will be gory?" My friend replied, "Come on. It's Speilberg, how gory can it be?" Needless to say, I remembered my one friend at about the 20 minute mark. I looked over and he just sitting, slumped in his seat, pale as a ghost, sweating whith his mouth hanging open.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #1515
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
My man!

What the fuck is a microwave?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #1516
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Saving Private Ryan is an excellent movie. I never liked the very end where they have that old guy Ryan standing in front of the grave marker crying. Like the pile of stones scene at the end of Schindler's List, I felt it completely unnecessary and a bit jarring.

i could not disagree more about the ending of schindlers list.

those were the real people portrayed, their families, or descendants

i actually think it is almost offensive to find that "completely unnecessary".
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #1517
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
American Gangser - 9/10 Yes it was long, but I love Denzel Washington and I really loved this movie.

And we ended up watching it last weekend and I agree with you, I love Denzel and loved the movie.

The first part of it was a little slow for me, but I realize it was all background for how Denzel's character became a gangster. After that all hell breaks loose and all I could say was damn, he was one crazy ass ruthless SOB.

8.5/10
Old 03-14-2008, 11:11 PM   #1518
MikeVic
Head Coach

Doomsday - 9/10
What a crazy jacked-up movie!! Don't think when you go watch it, and you'll be entertained very much. Wondering what else this movie has. I really don't want to say any more, as the trailers really don't prepare you for this crazy movie. If every movie made was like this, that wouldn't be very good. But a movie here-or-there, and it's just frickin' awesome. I think people will either love it or hate it.

From a couple of weeks ago:

Jackie Moon - 9/10
It is what it is. A very funny Will Farrell movie. There's one scene that just made me tear with laughter, so that gives it an automatic 5/10. There's some pretty alright secondary story stuff, and a lot more funny scenes. I enjoyed the movie throughout.

Last edited by MikeVic : 03-14-2008 at 11:12 PM.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #1519
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Done

Updating The Unofficial FOFC Movie Guide

Last edited by thealmighty : 03-15-2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: letting people know what done means if they don't already
thealmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #1520
MikeVic
Head Coach

Where was the guide again? Maybe link it in your sig?
Old 03-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #1521
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Ask and you shall receive: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=63021
Old 03-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #1522
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Thank you.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #1523
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hmm, is that link updated? I don't see my last two movies on there.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #1524
Lorena
Unregistered

Spiderman 3 - 7.5/10

The first time I watched the movie, I felt there was too much Mary Jane, so I watched it again this morning. My feeling the second time around was pretty much the same. If 20 minutes of the Mary Jane scenes were replaced with villain scenes, I would give it closer to a 9.

Spoiler

Mary Jane storyline aside, the movie was well done and the CGI fight scenes were great, especially the ones with Sandman.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #1525
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Spiderman 3 - 7.5/10

The first time I watched the movie, I felt there was too much Mary Jane, so I watched it again this morning. My feeling the second time around was pretty much the same. If 20 minutes of the Mary Jane scenes were replaced with villain scenes, I would give it closer to a 9.

Spoiler

Mary Jane storyline aside, the movie was well done and the CGI fight scenes were great, especially the ones with Sandman.

My biggest gripe with the movie was Harry's story arc.

Spoiler
Old 03-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #1526
MikeVic
Head Coach

Spoiler
Old 03-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #1527
korme
Go Reds

Yes, a Spiderman 3 discussion cannot go by without mentioning the ridiculousness that was Peter Parker dancing through that place like he was the coolest cat in town.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #1528
Johnny93g
College Starter

I thought Spiderman 3 was just terrible. One of the worst comic book based movies of all-time. The logic, the story, almost everything about it made no sense. Spidy 1 was very good. Spidy 2 was at the least entertaining, but Spidy 3 should challenge for worst movie of 07.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #1529
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The only redeeming quality of all Spiderman movies was Bruce Campbell.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #1530
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i could not disagree more about the ending of schindlers list.

those were the real people portrayed, their families, or descendants

i actually think it is almost offensive to find that "completely unnecessary".

Offensive? Huh.

I was really just thinking from a storytelling perspective. I really feel I I got the horror and the weight of what happened through watching the movie itself. The last 5 minutes or whatever just didn't feel necessary to me. Clearly it was important to Speilberg, you, and probably many others.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #1531
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:

Good idea. Sig link being added.

Quote:
Hmm, is that link updated? I don't see my last two movies on there.

The thread is being updated to the "DONE" at this time.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #1532
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Offensive? Huh.

I was really just thinking from a storytelling perspective. I really feel I I got the horror and the weight of what happened through watching the movie itself. The last 5 minutes or whatever just didn't feel necessary to me. Clearly it was important to Speilberg, you, and probably many others.

i might have slightly overreacted, but i thought it was a good way to show the "real world" implications, that they werent fictional people, and here is the direct effect of this man's actions.

i agree with you about saving private ryan though
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #1533
Flasch186
Coordinator

Elizabeth 8/10

Now that I actually sat down and watched the whole thing, and paid attention I can see the movie is excellent. It probably could've been longer and delved into some of the personalities of supporting players more and their stories but what it did, it did well. I look forward to seeing the new sequel that just came out.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #1534
Lorena
Unregistered

Platoon - 8/10

For a movie that's over 20 years old, it holds up very well. Charlie Sheen does an excellent job as the protagonist and I couldn't help but feel sorry for a lot of the characters. Drugs, alcoholism, and lots of stressed out soldiers that do some pretty awful things.

We watched several behind the scenes documentaries and the actors were put through hell. Several actors said Oliver Stone was one of the hardest people to work for but in the end, a lot of them owe him their career. One of the documentaries had Vietnam Vets that talked about their struggles and how this movie helped them get over what happened.

Well worth what we paid for.

Last edited by Lorena : 03-16-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #1535
MikeVic
Head Coach

Enchanted - 8/10

A solid feel-good movie. Some funny stuff with the prince, a very nice ballroom scene, and some good music. Not sure what else there is to say. Really a fairy tale movie with reality affecting it. I enjoyed it and felt happy after.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #1536
Lorena
Unregistered

Sooo... MikeVic, how was Southland Tales?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #1537
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Sooo... MikeVic, how was Southland Tales?

Decided to watch Enchanted tonight instead. Wanted a happy movie, and I don't know much about Southland Tales other than liking the cast a lot.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:10 PM   #1538
Atocep
Coordinator

Horton Hears a Who - 7.5/10

Surprisingly good movie. I expected to hate this (couldn't imagine how they could stretch the story out to a full movie), but Jim Carrey was oustanding and really stood out as the voice of Horton. The movie does a great job of remaining faithful to the book and definitely has a Dr. Seuss feel to it while doing enough to at least keep adults interested.

Not something I'd recommend to someone without children, but this is about as good as it gets as far as children's movies go, IMO. A great story with an important lesson to be learned.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:45 AM   #1539
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Across The Universe - 6/10

The pace of the movie was relatively slow, and it felt like they only worked the story in to accomodate the plethora of Beatles hits that were in the movie. Good thing if you're a Beatles fan, bad thing if you actually wanted to watch a movie.

Meet The Spartans - 4/10

The first 30 minutes were fun and amusing. Eventually all the jokes become tiresome, and the movie dissolves into a crapfest after that.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #1540
MikeVic
Head Coach

Southland Tales - 7.5/10
Hard movie to give a score to, imho. A very confusing, abstract movie with a lot of Revelations references. I liked some of the ideas, story, scenarios, artistic scenes, and funny scenes, but felt that it was a bit too confusing. Some of the scenes left you thinking "uhh ok?"

It was kind of weird that the movie started at chapter 4 of some bigger story too. Apparently there are graphic novels out there that act as chapters 1-3. I don't like that. Maybe the movie would make more sense if I had read those.

Having said all of that, the movie still managed to keep my attention for almost two-and-a-half hours, and it certainly helped that almost every role was played my a known actor or actress, including some of my favs.

If you've seen Donnie Darko and liked it, then give this movie a shot. I've also found the movie to make more sense after reading through this site: http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feat...sis/index.html.

Last edited by MikeVic : 03-18-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: bolding
Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #1541
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Transformers - 7/10 - I bought the HD DVD verison for like $15 from Best Buy and it looked superb. Wife finally said, "so that's what an HD TV is all about?". Decent movie, less action than I had thought.

I am Legend - 9/10 - I love Will Smith and this movie didn't disappoint. Again, watching movies now on my new TV with the Toshiba upconvert probably adds a point since everything looks so crisp and clean.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #1542
Lorena
Unregistered

I know this is a "movies" thread, but we watched:

Carnivale Season 1 and 2 - 9/10

I'm gonna group these together because the story line is basically the same. This takes place back in the 30's where Ben Hawkins, a refugee, travels with a carnival which has a bearded lady, mother and daughter cooch dancers, a tarot card reader, and others who are led by a small person, Samson. While traveling he discovers he has the power of healing, but at a price. On the other end of the spectrum, preacher Justin thinks he need to do God's will and does everything in his power to accomplish that.

I was a little apprehensive about watching this show knowing it was cancelled but it was worth it.. the show was unbelievably tense at times. We finished Season 2 last night and wow, what an ending. It makes you wonder what would have happened if they continued the show.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #1543
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I love Carneval. Great series, too bad about the cancellation. I liked it better than Deadwood.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #1544
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
I love Carneval. Great series, too bad about the cancellation. I liked it better than Deadwood.

Yes, absolutely! We're watching Deadwood Season 1 and I don't feel the urge to finish it like I did with Carnivale. The only thing that makes it watchable for me is the crude bar owner.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #1545
Lorena
Unregistered

dola,

I think Carnivale was cancelled because the producers wouldn't go down to 2 million per episode. I'm sure most of the money was spent on sets and costumes, as they were very authentic, so in a way I don't blame them.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:59 AM   #1546
korme
Go Reds

Chinatown (1974) - Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown. Decided to finally watch this after the basketball fiesta ended, and am glad I did. It was a very complicated and twisting plot, but it held my interest for the solid 2 hours.
Some crazy revelations and all in all I don't know if the ending was satisfying, then again I don't know any other way to end the movie with a better result. I want to wear a big white patch on my nose and see if anyone gets the reference. 8/10
Old 03-22-2008, 02:19 AM   #1547
Izulde
Head Coach

Horton Hears A Who - 10/10

Easily the most hilarious children's film I've watched in years. I was roaring with laughter through the whole movie.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #1548
rowech
Pro Starter

300 -- This movie is overrated. It's not a bad movie, really awesome visually, but how many slow motion sword scenes does one movie need to have? I'd still much rather watch Braveheart and Gladiator. (7/10)
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #1549
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We Own The Night - 9/10

EXCELLENT movie! Wow, we have had a great movie weekend thus far. Next up: Dan In Real Life
Old 03-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #1550
MikeVic
Head Coach

I loved Chinatown. Haven't seen it in a couple of years, but I first saw it in a film class I took and bought it shortly thereafter.