Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #1551
mckerney
Coordinator

The Steam Controller certainly looks like an interesting concept if nothing else.

Dual trackpads - high resolution and in place of analog sticks. Both are clickable and the resolution "approaches that of a desktop mouse"
Haptics - "dual linear resonant actuators...capable of delivering a wide range of force and vibration, allowing precise control over frequency, amplitude, and direction of movement...delivering in-game information about speed, boundaries, thresholds, textures, action confirmations, or any other events about which game designers want players to be aware... As a parlour trick they can even play audio waveforms and function as speakers."
Touch Screen - the center front of the controller will have a clickable touch screen. "When a player touches the controller screen, its display is overlayed on top of the game they’re playing, allowing the player to leave their attention squarely on the action, where it belongs."
Buttons - 16 buttons total (including clickable trackpads/touch screen), 8 of which will be usable without moving your thumbs off the trackpads. All buttons are placed symmetrically to allow for left and right handedness switchable via a software checkbox.
Shared Configurations - "Legacy mode" allows the controller to function as a keyboard and mouse. A configuration tool can be used to bind all functions, and configs can be shared via the steam community.
Openness - The controller is designed to be hackable. "We plan to make tools available that will enable users to participate in all aspects of the experience, from industrial design to electrical engineering."
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #1552
mckerney
Coordinator

Will be really interesting to read what he thinks. Never know until you get your hands on it, but to me the Steam Controller really doesn't look like it would work well with something like Super Meat Boy.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #1553
Izulde
Head Coach

I think it'd be better with analog sticks, personally.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #1554
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I think it'd be better with analog sticks, personally.

The track pads look like they'd work pretty well for playing something with a mouse based UI like a a turn based strategy game on a TV and seems like maybe it would work ok for an FPS. As far as a third person action game or 2D platformer just from the look of the controller it seems like it'd be problematic unless it actually handles much better than you'd think it would.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #1555
Grover
Pro Starter

Picked up UnderRail, which is still in alpha for $10.

Awesome little turn-based RPG set in a post-apocalyptic world. Tons of fun and customization for characters.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #1556
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

Will be really interesting to read what he thinks. Never know until you get your hands on it, but to me the Steam Controller really doesn't look like it would work well with something like Super Meat Boy.

His blog post of his experience with it.

Quote:
If you were to ask me if I would play games with the Steam Controller…I would say yes. If you were to ask me to choose between Steam Controller and a 360 controller, I would choose 360. Don’t take that as slight to the controller though because it’s more about the comfort of familiarity over functionality. I would choose a 360 controller because I have several thousand hours experience using it, however if tomorrow all game controllers were wiped off the earth and the only option was the Steam Controller, I don’t think this would be a bad thing. In fact, I don’t think gaming would miss a beat. I’m excited to see what final hardware feels like because I think with the upcoming iterations of the controller we’ll see something that is different, but still feels good.

TL;DR; Great Start, needs some improvements, but I could play any game I wanted with it just fine.

Gamasutra - Select game developers used the Steam Controller. Here's what they said

Quote:
"It doesn't feel like a trackpad"

Chris Remo, designer and writer at The Cave developer Double Fine had a hands-on of the Steam Controller at the San Francisco studio.

Remo played a couple different games: Double Fine's upcoming point-and-click adventure game Broken Age and the already-released platform-adventure game The Cave.

"We just plugged it in, and it worked," he said. "We didn't have special support for it or anything. It worked really, really well. I was really impressed with the mouse imitation. It doesn't feel like a trackpad."

Remo said the controller has a tiny speaker in it that offers audio feedback – a subtle "tick" sound that increases and decreases in speed (he compared it to the Wheel of Fortune wheel's sound), depending on how you use the track pad. If you "fling" your thumb across the trackpad – if it's mapped to the mouse – the ticking increases in speed, and slows down as the virtual momentum of your action slows.

"It sounds like there's actually a mechanical device in there, which really makes it feel mechanical, but not in a clunky way," Remo said. "It just feels really high-tech and precise. … I can't stand trackpads on laptops, and this felt really good to me. There was almost no learning curve as far as accuracy goes."

Remo added that he doesn't really consider the pads to be "trackpads," which, to players and developers, often represent poor feedback. "This is just the opposite of that," he said.

"I don't know if this would necessarily be my first choice for a first-person shooter, because I'm such a mouse-and-keyboard guy normally, but I'd also really like to try it," he said.

Sounds kind of odd reading how it works from looking at it, really must be one of those things you need to try yourself.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #1557
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Hadn't seen it mentioned yet, but Sid Meier's Air Patrol is a fantastic little game given that it's only $4.99. I'm sure at some level it's a proof-of-concept for something in a future version of Civ, but he did a great job of making it a fun timewaster.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #1558
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Hadn't seen it mentioned yet, but Sid Meier's Air Patrol is a fantastic little game given that it's only $4.99. I'm sure at some level it's a proof-of-concept for something in a future version of Civ, but he did a great job of making it a fun timewaster.

Ace Patrol, for anyone searching
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #1559
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Ace Patrol, for anyone searching

Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #1560
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Thanks for the correction.

That was for anyone doing what I was doing... "is he sure that was on Steam?"

Then did the search for Sid and took a moment to realize the slight name difference (was trying to figure out why it didn't show up in the first search).

I was having a blonde moment.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #1561
PilotMan
Head Coach

So I am still intrigued by Lords of Football. And it's on sale, get the whole thing with expansions for about 13 bucks. Is the game worth that?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #1562
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
So I am still intrigued by Lords of Football. And it's on sale, get the whole thing with expansions for about 13 bucks. Is the game worth that?

I don't know anything about how it plays, but you can get a Steam key for the base game without DLC from Indie Gala for $6.24.

Lords of Football
Old 10-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #1563
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I'm a sucker for deals on Steam, but I just can't get past the Metacritic reviews. When the mid-60s is your highest score, you've got issues.

Lords of Football for PC Reviews - Metacritic
Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #1564
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, you know, I right there with you, but you know a lot of that was right at release, and maybe with the additions that might make it better. I see the Super Training add on adds some humor, so maybe the game took a humor tack away from true to life stuff. idk, I'm still tempted.

Like Steam?

Old 10-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #1565
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yeah, you know, I right there with you, but you know a lot of that was right at release, and maybe with the additions that might make it better. I see the Super Training add on adds some humor, so maybe the game took a humor tack away from true to life stuff. idk, I'm still tempted.

Would love to see some feedback if you do decide to take the plunge. It's a fun idea for sure.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #1566
PilotMan
Head Coach

I posted this in the Steam group, but wanted to get it here too.

Quote:
If you head over to Greenlight you can help support OOTP in their efforts to get both OOTP and Franchise Hockey on Steam. Just search for OOTP and you'll find the games. Get out the vote guys and help them out!

Here is part of the email from Markus ~

Today we're launching Steam Greenlight campaigns for Out of the Park Baseball 14 and Franchise Hockey Manager. We'd like to ask everyone to vote for both games and help us get approved to sell OOTP 14 and FHM on Steam, in addition to continuing to use our existing web stores. Voting on Greenlight doesn't commit you to buying anything, so it doesn't matter if you've already bought one or both games from us.

Like Steam?

Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #1567
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

More importantly.

Steam Greenlight :: Red Baron

VOTE THIS DAMMIT.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #1568
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
More importantly.

VOTE THIS DAMMIT.

Meh....

It's just flying airplanes and shit.

Like Steam?

Old 10-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #1569
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It doesn't even have Snoopy and his doghouse.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #1570
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Meh....

WITH MACHINE GUNS!

AND PRUSSIANS!

(They have a kickstarter up that's totally not gonna hit its goal, too)
Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #1571
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
More importantly.

VOTE THIS DAMMIT.

OH HELL YES!

I spent so much time flying these games way back when...
Old 10-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #1572
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

ditto, even though I sucked at it
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #1573
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Fallen Enchantress: LH

HUGE update today!

http://forums.elementalgame.com/448478/page/1/
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #1574
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Meh....

lol, awesome.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #1575
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Oh god.

Assuming it's actually him, guess who posted with some (surprise) naysaying on the Kickstarter comments for Red Baron?

None other than Derek Smart.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #1576
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh god.

Assuming it's actually him, guess who posted with some (surprise) naysaying on the Kickstarter comments for Red Baron?

that which is dead can never die
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #1577
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh god.

Gotta fill me in on that one.

Like Steam?

Old 10-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #1578
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Indie Game Developer.. more likely to explode then a bunch of epileptic jugglers working with seven vials of nitroglycerin. Has made a ton of games, some of which have been awe inspiring in scope and reach.. and vomit inducing in how far they fall short.

Known for getting into HUUUUUUUGE flamewars on Usenet and later on other computer gaming forums:

The redemption of Derek Smart | Polygon is a good way to get a view on this guy.

edit: one of the old "internet legends" is that if you make a disparaging comment on any Derek Smart game or on Derek Smart himself, he'd show up to argue with you.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-24-2013 at 07:07 PM.
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #1579
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Indie Game Developer.. more likely to explode then a bunch of epileptic jugglers working with seven vials of nitroglycerin. Has made a ton of games, some of which have been awe inspiring in scope and reach.. and vomit inducing in how far they fall short.

Known for getting into HUUUUUUUGE flamewars on Usenet and later on other computer gaming forums:

The redemption of Derek Smart | Polygon is a good way to get a view on this guy.

edit: one of the old "internet legends" is that if you make a disparaging comment on any Derek Smart game or on Derek Smart himself, he'd show up to argue with you.

His name has been mentioned too much today. He is bound to show now!!!! WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #1580
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The following quote sums up his asinine attitude well enough for me...

Quote:
"When I look at my bank account, I just laugh."
Old 10-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #1581
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

double dola: and I LOVE the fake review stickers on his Battlecruiser Game.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #1582
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Meh....

Love it

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #1583
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Is that why we haven't heard anything from Dave Dial is a long, long time?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #1584
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Lots of good deals on the Halloween sale......

Halloween Sale 2013
Old 10-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #1585
Grover
Pro Starter

Just picked up The Walking Dead for $6.24. Hell of a lot better than paying for each episode as they came out last year.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #1586
MrBug708
Head Coach

So...worldwide basketball manager tycoon...?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #1587
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
So...worldwide basketball manager tycoon...?

Saw that as well. Not sure what to think of that, but I suppose it doesn't have to be much for $8.99.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #1588
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If it's anything like the previous game in the series (world basketball manager)

RUN AWAY, FAR FAR AWAY
Old 11-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #1589
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm personally looking forward to universal worldwide mega basketball tycoon manager coach god, which is the next one in the series.

If the previous game in the series sucked, just add more words to the next one. Seems legit.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #1590
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just got invited into the Steam sharing beta.. anyone else doing the beta and if so, how is it? I'm going to install the client tonight and see if my neighbor can get to my games.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #1591
Arles
Grey Dog Software

So, I think this is national "Worst day of the year to buy from Steam" day. For the first time in months, not one game on my wishlist is on sale and there's a chance atleast 75% of them have some kind of discount over the next week
Old 11-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #1592
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yeah, my vacation starts Thursday. the good news, I'll have a ton of free time to put a small dent in my backlog. the bad news, I'll have a ton of free time to make the backlog get even bigger.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #1593
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Anyone get Redshirt yet?
Old 11-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #1594
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Anyone get Redshirt yet?

I was interested too, but I read a few read reviews/impressions that were well written that basically ripped the entire game. By all accounts it is basically a $20 Facebook simulator set in space for some odd reason. I don't even use my own Facebook account with any regularity.

Last edited by dubb93 : 11-26-2013 at 05:17 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #1595
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
it is basically a $20 Facebook simulator set in space for some odd reason.

This is one of the most unusual descriptions I've ever seen for a game. The game's actual website is even weirder:

Quote:
Redshirt is the comedy sci-fi sim about social networking aboard a space station, starring the station's most ambitious low-ranking peon: you! Navigate the professional and interpersonal politics of the ubiquitous "Spacebook" to curry favor among friends and colleagues. As intense intergalactic conflict rages around you, it's up to you to accrue those all-important "likes" on your status updates!

WTF?!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #1596
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Anyone get Redshirt yet?

I have it. It's a bit disappointing. There's too much Facebook, and not enough sci-fi. I was hoping for more of a sci-fi version of Academagia.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #1597
Capital
High School Varsity

Anyone remember when Steam sales went live last year?
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #1598
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post

Rumor: Upcoming Steam sale dates leaked | Joystiq
Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #1599
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post

It's usually at 10am PST.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #1600
oykib
College Starter

Dola

The site usually gets slammed. You might want to try the Steam app if you have it. The mobile seems to run off of a different server.