Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2011, 07:42 AM   #1551
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The use of the letter M comes from the Roman numeral M representing 1000.

Seems to have been transplanted to represent Millions now, but is still used for Thousand in advertising (the only area I know of that still uses it that way).

Also used in banking/finance.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #1552
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Haha...Carlos Silva. What a joke.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #1553
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn this was an Onion article:

To Create Winner, You Have to Find Winners - NYTimes.com
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #1554
Butter
Coordinator

Reds are having a bit of a difficult spring. Arroyo was diagnosed with mono, Cueto has had problems with forearm "tightness", and Homer Bailey has been put on the DL with an unknown shoulder issue. Also, the arms they have brought in to shore up the bullpen haven't looked like much, and Aroldis Chapman just gave up 4 runs and 5 hits while recording no outs to the Giants the other day. One wonders if he was working on a third pitch in that game, but I didn't get to see it so I don't know.

Not inspiring confidence in leading up to opening day. Hitting by all accounts has been on track though, so we'll see what happens.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #1555
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Good story on the Mariners plan to handle the loss of announcer Dave Niehaus. Basically #2 guy Rick Rizzs moves to the bulk of pbp, with a rotating cast of former anncrs/analysts filling the second chair this season. There isn't any way to really "replace" such a figure, I think this is about as good a plan for a year as anyone could have come up with. It won't be the same but at least it'll feel somewhat familiar.
Off Base salutes iconic baseball broadcasters through loss of Dave Niehaus - ESPN
Old 03-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #1556
molson
General Manager

Ahh, the final day and final posts of a 32-page journey through the baseball offseason. Very excited for the season.

Last edited by molson : 03-30-2011 at 05:30 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #1557
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Reds are having a bit of a difficult spring. Arroyo was diagnosed with mono, Cueto has had problems with forearm "tightness", and Homer Bailey has been put on the DL with an unknown shoulder issue. Also, the arms they have brought in to shore up the bullpen haven't looked like much, and Aroldis Chapman just gave up 4 runs and 5 hits while recording no outs to the Giants the other day. One wonders if he was working on a third pitch in that game, but I didn't get to see it so I don't know.

Not inspiring confidence in leading up to opening day. Hitting by all accounts has been on track though, so we'll see what happens.

Most guys are doing stuff in spring training that they don't have the situations to try in the regular season. Don't worry too much. I'm not saying they will win the Central but I'll be shocked if they're not close to the top.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #1558
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I saw a Bronson Arroyo CD at the dollar tree yesterday. I bet it was awesome.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #1559
DanGarion
Coordinator

I was going to create a 2011 season thread, but I'll leave that to someone else who wants to update the post title throughout the season. I'll leave you with this gem about Jose Canseco though.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote