Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #1551
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
No, but they're generally losing strikes for their pitcher. Having been an umpire for around 12 years, you're likely to assume that someone who is framing a pitch is doing it for a reason (i.e. it wasn't a strike). Sure, it's not always going to be that way and you are going to call some framed pitches strikes, but it's not helping your pitcher get a strike call generally speaking.

Are you seriously trying to equate reffing girl's softball with umpiring a MLB game?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #1552
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
No, but they're generally losing strikes for their pitcher. Having been an umpire for around 12 years, you're likely to assume that someone who is framing a pitch is doing it for a reason (i.e. it wasn't a strike). Sure, it's not always going to be that way and you are going to call some framed pitches strikes, but it's not helping your pitcher get a strike call generally speaking.
If only there was hard data (and visual plots for the less math inclined) that conclusively show certain catchers getting more strike calls.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #1553
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Xbox sponsors that data
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #1554
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Are you seriously trying to equate reffing girl's softball with umpiring a MLB game?

To be fair, he probably demonstrates the same level of competency of most MLB umpires.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #1555
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
If only there was hard data (and visual plots for the less math inclined) that conclusively show certain catchers getting more strike calls.

My friend who is a MLB umpire said the same thing. Framing is something catchers are taught, but a good umpire at the pro level isn't going to fall for any framing. If anything, they're going to think the opposite (it's a ball).
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #1556
Travis
Pro Rookie

I was taught that as well by guys who had played/coached at the MLB levels (who did winter camps around here). The subtle frame would maybe gain you a call, but if you were obvious with your movement or attempt to frame, it was more likely to lose you a close call than to gain it. You were better off to set up a bit more to one side of the plate prior to the pitch (body and glove) and show less movement (ie: pitcher hit his spot) on those close calls than to keep your body central and catch the ball outside of your frame.

Granted, this was more than a few years ago now, but it was something definitely drilled into us by the instructors to try and give your pitcher every chance at getting a borderline pitch called his way.

Should it be that way, no, they should be using all available technology to get the calls right. But until they do, it'll be a part of the game.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #1557
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Quote:
My friend who is a MLB umpire said the same thing. Framing is something catchers are taught, but a good umpire at the pro level isn't going to fall for any framing. If anything, they're going to think the opposite (it's a ball).

:woosh:
Old 08-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #1558
cartman
Death Herald

The Rangers will likely set the record for most players used in a season. The record for overall players is 59 and for pitchers is 37. Due to all of their injuries, they have used 58 players, and 36 of those pitchers. And this is before the September 40 man roster goes into effect.

Rangers chasing dubious record - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN
Old 08-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #1559
cartman
Death Herald

Dola,

If the Rangers can avoid the injury bug next year, and the Astros continue to progress, the AL West is going to be a brawl next season. You've got the A's and Angels battling it out for best record in baseball, with the Mariners lurking not too far back.

Last edited by cartman : 08-27-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #1560
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good old Ned. It's ridiculous how the attendance argument keeps getting brought up. You'd think our manager wouldn't be dumb enough to make comments like this. Nice to see someone put him in check.

On a glorious night for the Royals, Ned Yost manages to dump on the fans | The Kansas City Star

I can't believe how much people are worked up into a lather about Ned saying something silly. I think people are just acting mad to be mad, which is silly considering the game last night.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #1561
lungs
Pro Rookie

Cut Ned some slack, he is used to Milwaukee.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #1562
larrymcg421
Head Coach

OMG Andrelton Simmons!

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #1563
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
OMG Andrelton Simmons!

Yeah, that was sick. Granted it was the catcher running but still, especially since the tying run was on third.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #1564
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Second magical comeback in two nights.

Detroit loses again.

Please God, don't wake me from this dream. I'm not sure I could handle it.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:10 AM   #1565
kingfc22
Head Coach

Stay hot Buster Posey!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #1566
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Second magical comeback in two nights.

Detroit loses again.

Please God, don't wake me from this dream. I'm not sure I could handle it.

I don't know if I would call last night "magical" but it certainly was helpful with Detroit and Seattle both losing. Lead in the division is 2.5 and 2nd Wild Card is 2.0

SI

Old 08-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #1567
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I don't know if I would call last night "magical" but it certainly was helpful with Detroit and Seattle both losing. Lead in the division is 2.5 and 2nd Wild Card is 2.0

SI

When you haven't had a real shot at getting into the playoffs in three decades and one of your players turns a loss into a win with one swing, it's magical.

Saw that Detroit is now out if the season ended today. Crazy.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #1568
Jas_lov
College Starter

I like how a month ago everyone said Detroit and Oakland were locks for the ALCS and now one could have to play in a one game playoff and the other might miss the playoffs entirely.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #1569
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

If you want to geek out on umpire stuff, Jayson Stark wrote a good article with lots of good resource links for umpire stats.

Fun and fascinating umpire statistics - Jayson Stark Blog - ESPN
Old 08-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #1570
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok, let me try to be less snarky. Since Pitch F/X data started coming out and showing exactly where a pitch crosses home plate, places like Statcorner and BP have run algorithms determining the probability of a pitch in that exact location, against a batter that side of the plate, is called a strike. MLB Umpires, for all the complaining people do, rarely blatantly blow a definite strike or ball. But for all those pitches near the edge of the zone that are called a strike 30% of the time, or 50%, or 70%, they see whether it was indeed called a strike. And year after year the same catchers (Lucroy, the Molina's, David Ross, Brian McCann) get a whole lot more of those pitches called strikes than others (Ryan Doumit, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Carlos Santana, Chris Iannetta, Gerald Laird, AJ Pierzynski) to the point it can't possibly be a fluke (especially seeing as the numbers back up what scouts have been saying.)

If you prefer more visual evidence, this article on Christian Vazquez has a cool scatter plot and .gifs of him stealing strikes up, down, inside and outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I was taught that as well by guys who had played/coached at the MLB levels (who did winter camps around here). The subtle frame would maybe gain you a call, but if you were obvious with your movement or attempt to frame, it was more likely to lose you a close call than to gain it. You were better off to set up a bit more to one side of the plate prior to the pitch (body and glove) and show less movement (ie: pitcher hit his spot) on those close calls than to keep your body central and catch the ball outside of your frame.

Granted, this was more than a few years ago now, but it was something definitely drilled into us by the instructors to try and give your pitcher every chance at getting a borderline pitch called his way.
Of course, subtlety and body positioning is the name of the game. Look at the .gif's in the Vazquez article linked above - everything is quiet and stationary except the glove hand, which moves early to the spot the ball will be (making it look like the pitcher hit the spot), and then quickly, but not obscenely, pulling it back toward the strike zone and holding it for the split second while the umpire is making his call. But pitch framing is definitely real, and it's definitely a(n underrated) skill. No matter how many umpires want to claim it doesn't affect them at all, the evidence is clear and conclusive that it does at the margins. (And again, I actually think umpires do a very, very good job on balls and strikes. My only gripe with them are the ones who want to start confrontations and throw people out early.)
Old 08-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #1571
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Dola,

If the Rangers can avoid the injury bug next year, and the Astros continue to progress, the AL West is going to be a brawl next season. You've got the A's and Angels battling it out for best record in baseball, with the Mariners lurking not too far back.

And a whole offseason of likely improvmement, too. The Angels and A's have had some injury issues, too, although certainly not to the extent the Rangers have had. It's going to be a nutty 2015 for sure.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #1572
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Did anyone post this last year? Just saw it on another forum. An Infomercial for Hunter's Hitters: Hunter Pence's Unorthodox Baseball Camp - Extra Mustard - SI.com
Old 08-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #1573
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

MLB Network host is probably psychic, predicts Buster Posey home run

This is worth watching if only to see his reaction in studio after the fact.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #1574
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yusmeiro Petit, best pitcher in MLB history.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #1575
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When you haven't had a real shot at getting into the playoffs in three decades and one of your players turns a loss into a win with one swing, it's magical.

Saw that Detroit is now out if the season ended today. Crazy.

But that was 2 nights ago. Last night was the 6 run 8th. There wasn't one swing that turned the loss into a win. Hence my contention that last night wasn't really magical. Though there is a lot of luck involved in the singles train and wishing on the BABIP fairy.

SI

Old 08-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #1576
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Yusmeiro Petit, best pitcher in MLB history.

SI

Old 08-29-2014, 12:15 AM   #1577
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

SI
I remember when he was first coming up through the minors with ridiculous numbers and the saber community was in love with him. Scouts on the other hand said his stuff just wasn't that good though and would have a tough time making it in the bigs. They seemed to be right - for a while. Looks like he's finally figured out how to make his pedestrian stuff work at the MLB level.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:26 AM   #1578
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The curveball is the big thing. It's been an extremely effective pitch, and he's using it well.

That being said, I fully expect it to disappear at any moment.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #1579
Easy Mac

Jonny Venters needs Tommy John again. His third surgery. Has Dr. Andrews just gotten worse or is something else happening, because it seems like more players are having things go wrong quickly after a repair.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #1580
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Jonny Venters needs Tommy John again. His third surgery. Has Dr. Andrews just gotten worse or is something else happening, because it seems like more players are having things go wrong quickly after a repair.

I'd suspect issues with rehab before I'd be overly concerned about Andrews.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #1581
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I always wonder - what happens when Dr. Andrews dies? The guy is getting up there.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #1582
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I always wonder - what happens when Dr. Andrews dies? The guy is getting up there.

He is just one of many I'd assume. His crew of guys is probably top notch.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #1583
Easy Mac

From what I understand, Andrews "does" all of the surgeries himself.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #1584
hoopsguy
General Manager

Cubs kid brigade doing damage to Cardinals tonight.

Soler - 2 homers, including a 430'+ bomb in the 7th to break open a close ballgame.

Baez - 2 run double to break 2-2 tie in 7th.

Alcantara - homer in 8th.

Hendricks - no-decision, finishes August 4-0.

Ramirez - scoreless inning, brings ERA down to 1.05 on season.

Just fun looking at differences in roster between opening day and now, and seeing some wins while these kids are getting their feet wet at big league level. They aren't all going to pan out, but if I have a choice between watching Javy Baez try to figure it out or Darwin Barney be Darwin Barney ... well, it isn't close.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:59 AM   #1585
RainMaker
General Manager

I am really excited about the Cubs future. Especially since we haven't even seen the best prospect yet. Little concerned about Baez but at least his power is showing.

Found this funny too:

Yep, That's An Idiot's Dong Featured On ESPN.com [NSFW]
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #1586
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I just spent the last 15 minutes reading about AP Photo Kills as I was unaware of this phenomenon.

(The comments are fun, too: "Best Glans in Baseball", "What's the big deal? There are 43K dicks in Busch Stadium every night", and "Tiny dicks on ESPN? What is this, First Take?")

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-30-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #1587
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Stay hot Buster Posey!!!

THIS!
Old 08-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #1588
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I am really excited about the Cubs future. Especially since we haven't even seen the best prospect yet. Little concerned about Baez but at least his power is showing.

Found this funny too:

Yep, That's An Idiot's Dong Featured On ESPN.com [NSFW]

I think Baez will be fine, but he'll likely develop slower than the rest. Soler is much more MLB ready that Baez at this point but Baez easily has the highest ceiling of any of the Cubs prospects, Russell and Bryant included.

Baez is seeing 4.2 pitches per plate appearance (Rizzo is a 4.0 for comparison) so he's not just a hacker up there swinging at everything. He's just a kid that needs to develop his pitch recognition skills.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #1589
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And just like that the Royals have managed to let that lead slip away

SI

Old 08-31-2014, 07:06 PM   #1590
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Royals on a big stage tonight. Here's to hoping for a big win

SI

Old 08-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #1591
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Royals on a big stage tonight. Here's to hoping for a big win

SI

Got my brother-in-law and his wife visiting from KC this weekend. Everyone is watching the game.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #1592
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The 9th was fun. The 10th not so much. And now a giant squall line is going to stop play for a couple of hours, I suspect

SI

Old 08-31-2014, 11:48 PM   #1593
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The 9th was fun. The 10th not so much. And now a giant squall line is going to stop play for a couple of hours, I suspect

SI

And people wondered why Royals fans are so skittish. 105,000 fans show up over the past three days and they end up seeing those three games. Incredibly disappointing.

Good news is that, despite the bad stretch, we're still tied for the division lead and have a good chance to right the boat vs. the Rangers.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #1594
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's weird to have a suspended game for 3 weeks. It's a game the Indians can pretty much bank in the standings but won't show up for a while (Royals with an 8.0 WE% on that one)

SI

Old 09-01-2014, 01:37 AM   #1595
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I know I'm all Angels, so I probably overstate it. But Matt Shoemaker is one of the stories of the year IMO.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #1596
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wasn't easy, but the Royals got the much needed win against the woeful Rangers. Just got to keep it going over the next two games.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #1597
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Must be football season; no mention of the no hitter today.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:23 AM   #1598
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Must be football season; no mention of the no hitter today.

It was the phillies. They only get mentioned if a fan throws a shoe at a nun.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #1599
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
A little over a fifth of the way through the season and Ellsbury is rocking 1 HR.
Figured I'd revisit this and the other FA signings with our series vs. the Yankees... Ellsbury's actually turned the power on post ASB, up to 14 HR's now. His defense has actually only been average, but he's stayed healthy and put up 4.0 WAR so far. Gonna give the Yankees a win for Year 1.

Cano's HR power has fallen in half, at least partially due to Safeco, but he's been huge for the Mariners, 5.2 WAR and they're actually in a playoff race. More than worth it this year, but still crazy that he'll be getting paid $24m/y until he's 41.

Royals dodged a bullet with Beltran turning them down. He's missed 35ish games, and actually been so bad in field he's at -0.2 WAR.

Shin Soo-Choo's barely been any better, at 0.2 WAR. His BABIP is down, but last year's walk and K rates looks to be an outlier, although he has been battling an ankle injury almost all year.

Curtis Granderson somehow has a .249 BABIP and 0.6 WAR. Gotta assume he'll bounce back some going forward though.

Brian McCann's actually got a 1.7 WAR thanks mostly to his pitch-framing skills, but he's managed to be worse with a .245 BABIP, but that's in line with his next couple seasons. Doubt he's worth $68m over the next 4 years.

Cardinals clearly made the right SS decision, taking Jhonny Peralta and his current 5.1 WAR over Stephen Drew and his .167 batting average.

Nelson Cruz has probably been the best signing, although he has fallen off some from his scorching start.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #1600
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Saw a stat they threw up during the Royals game tonight. Tonight, the Rangers set a new MLB record for number of players used in a season (60) and tied the MLB record for pitchers used in a season (37).

Yikes.