Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2007, 08:50 AM   #1601
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I guess I can understand how Blake and Chris became good friends on the show. But it made me thinnk even more that Phil was completely out of his element, not just on the show but as a contestant. He never made a connection with the audience, and I'm guessing he never really made much of a connection with any of the other contestants, either. He was just "there."

I didn't get that feeling about Phil, at all. His exit and farewell song seemed like one of the most emotional, for the rest of the group, that I have seen on AI.

From the way the three remaining women were crying, I got the feeling that they were closer to Phil than the two other guys. I would guess that Phil was more like the big brother of the house and probably quite a bit more mature, with his military experience/working class/married/father, while the other two guys were a little more youthful.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #1602
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Whatever happened to the typical release schedule - first single is the uptempo, radio-friendly rocker, then you follow that with the ballad to suck the chicks in. Even if this album isn't a typical rock album, I'm assuming there's something on there that would have been more appropriate for a rock week on AI. But maybe they thought they would do better by going for something softer that might appeal to AI fans more? Who knows.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #1603
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess I can understand how Blake and Chris became good friends on the show. But it made me thinnk even more that Phil was completely out of his element, not just on the show but as a contestant. He never made a connection with the audience, and I'm guessing he never really made much of a connection with any of the other contestants, either. He was just "there."

Even though he performed well the last few weeks, I've felt like he was just "there" and wanting to go home for a long time now. His goodbye clip/performance just reiterated that for me. I think his mind was preoccupied with how much he was missing in his baby's life. If so, I give him tremendous credit for doing as well as he did.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #1604
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I didn't get that feeling about Phil, at all. His exit and farewell song seemed like one of the most emotional, for the rest of the group, that I have seen on AI.

From the way the three remaining women were crying, I got the feeling that they were closer to Phil than the two other guys. I would guess that Phil was more like the big brother of the house and probably quite a bit more mature, with his military experience/working class/married/father, while the other two guys were a little more youthful.

I'd buy that if they didn't have the same kind of send-off of every single contestant. I mean, Chris Sligh was tearing up when people were being sent home in the top 11 or so.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #1605
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Let the whoring begin!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #1606
Ksyrup

I read elsewhere several comments about Jordin smiling during one of the "singouts" last night, and then when she saw the camera on her, she quickly got sad and made a tear roll down her face. Apparently this upset some people. I guess I missed it. Anyone catch that?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #1607
Ksyrup

Some funny comments from a buddy of mine:

When did Bon Jovi turn into Bryan Adams?

Maybe Chris R's tour can be sponsored by Breathe Right Nasal Strips

Taylor Hicks looks like George Clooney and Rovert DeNiro had a baby, and apparently in the spirit of giving, he donated 30 pounds to Kelly Clarkson

The Robin Thicke and Growing Pains joke is almost too easy to write
Old 05-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #1608
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I read elsewhere several comments about Jordin smiling during one of the "singouts" last night, and then when she saw the camera on her, she quickly got sad and made a tear roll down her face. Apparently this upset some people. I guess I missed it. Anyone catch that?
Yes, I actually did notice that.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #1609
Ksyrup

Is anyone else having font issues on this particular page? It appears to be tied to my posting of the tour schedule. I tried modifying it, but I can't get it to change. It's just on this page, though - it changes the font on all posts on this page to small italics. I hope it's only affecting me, because it's annoying.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:17 AM   #1610
rkmsuf
Head Coach

haha, you have font envy
Old 05-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #1611
Ksyrup

It's bizarre. I guess you aren't seeing it? It even affects the posts before that one. I hope when we get to the next page it goes away.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #1612
Logan
Head Coach

I see it. Good job dickhead, you broke FOFC.

Last edited by Logan : 05-03-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #1613
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

way to go, asshat
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #1614
Logan
Head Coach

Just delete the post, no one actually cares about the tour.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #1615
Ksyrup

It's gone. And you know you want to see the tour. Just admit it. PM me for the link.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #1616
JeeberD
General Manager

Awww, they're not coming to Dallas? What ever will I do?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:59 PM   #1617
Ksyrup

I hesitate to make this spoiler info since it's printed in the USA Today and thus cuts against my argument in the Captain America thread, but Wade and I need a break from each other, so I'm giving in just this once...

Spoiler
Old 05-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #1618
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Anyone know that length of delay FOX uses for this "live" show. I thought it was like 10-15 seconds. Some claim it's way more.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #1619
Ksyrup

Uh....

Paris Bennett’s debut CD, “Princess P” drops today.

The CD features guest spots by her mom, Jamecia Bennett, and her grandmother, Ann Nesby on the tune, “Best Friends.” Kevin Covais raps on the song, “Can I Rap.”
Old 05-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #1620
Ksyrup

This is part of the spoiler I posted above, but since it's not part of the competition, I'm going to post it because I have a question:

Group Number: “How Deep is Your Love” with beat boxing.

Isn't this the Hollywood Week number that Blake did with the foursome? They're ghoing to resurrect this with the Blake and the 3 chicks? Ugh. We saw it once, it was really well done, come up with something fresh.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #1621
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Just a quick prediction (and remember I always get these wrong) from the song choices.

LaKisha should know better by now. She's taking on too much.

Blake is getting cocky, and he needs to introduce something completely new with the beat boxing or he'll stagnate.

Jordin and Melinda have big opportunities here. I hope this is a preview of the final show.

I have a nasty cold and I haven't slept the last couple of nights, so I hope I'm somewhat sharp tonight. I'm trying out some aromatherapy in addition to a standard decongestant. I thought I sounded good in the shower today, so something's obviously wrong with my hearing.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #1622
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Kevin Covais raps on the song, “Can I Rap.”

no.

No.

NO.

Aww, GodinheavenNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #1623
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

At last, I understand what Bee Gee stands for: Be Gentle. Yeah, I know it has something to do with Barry Gibb as well, who seems to have settled into a pleasant senility. And you know what? I totally get it.

He and his brothers created complex melodies and an endless variety of great songs for decades. I'd be smiling, too, if my work still held up in my old age. Barry, your mentoring skills leave a lot to be desired, but you should take a well deserved bow.

Tonight, the quartet of Idol aspirants butchered the living daylights out of Bee Gee tunes. They murdered them in every way possible, and I can only hope that when Simon is kicking back in his hotel room reviewing the tapes late this evening, he doesn't put the remote through the television screen in frustration. It was Amateur Idol. Just not want you want to see from the four singers who really have deserved a place in the final four.

Each Idolist took on two Bee Gee tunes, so the rankings will look a little different tonight.

1. Melinda Doolittle, Song 2 (How Can You Mend a Broken Heart). The arrangement was a bit stilted, but that was by design as Melinda wanted to belt out a riff in her comfort zone. It's like shooting clay pigeons with a Bush Era Shock-and-Awe Cluster Bomb. I think the girl is incapable of a truly bum note. Even though I think I've seen this performance before, the rules allow it, so the pro is going to get the good review. Score of 87.

2. Blake Lewis, Song 2 (This is Where I Came in). It's been about a month since I was reminded that Blake has a nice voice when he finds the right melody. He recovered well from a horrendous beginning. Like Randy, I wish he had left the beat-boxing out of this one, it interrupted a solid performance and lowered the score, which probably would have been #1 for the night otherwise. Score of 84.

3. Jordin Sparks, Song 1 (To Love Somebody). On most nights, this would have been quickly forgotten. It was a solid, but immature performance. If Jordin could just learn one tenth of what Blake understands about song arrangement, she could hit these out of the park. Her transitions are very bad. They will improve with experience. I have no doubt this girl has a big future in music, whether she wins here or not. Score of 82.

4. Jordin Sparks, Song 2 (Woman in Love). She oversang it, but I don't think she was as out of tune as Paula thought. It was somewhat unpolished and unconvincing. I'm a bit disappointed, because I thought this would be the song of the evening going in. Score of 80.

5. Melinda Doolittle, Song 1 (Love You Inside and Out). It was okay, in key, but just not very entertaining. She has such a good lower register, I'm surprised she didn't show it off in the first half of this song. And that meant boredom, ennui, and maybe even listlessness. Her worst of the season. Score of 74.

6. LaKisha Jones, Song 2 (Run to Me). The poor girl's voice just broke at the end of the song. She obviously has laryngitis. She rearranged the song to limit the big notes, but by the end she was just hoarse and shouting. It's almost unfair to be judging her at this stage, because a real performer would shut it down for a week or two right now. Score of 50.

7. LaKisha Jones, Song 1 (Staying Alive). Oh, oh, oh, oh, not this week, ironic choice. Again, we actually saw her hit the chorus nicely in rehearsal. She completely changed the arrangement so that she was actually singing backup to the chorus, probably in deference to her voice problem. The arrangement was rough. There just wasn't anything in this performance to hang on to. Score of 42.

8. Blake Lewis, Song 1 (You Should be Dancing). This was pure indulgence. I don't think it would even work in the club scene. I was reminded of a college talent show. Just all the difference in the world from last week's very solid beat-boxing arrangement and this complete abortion of an attempt. This is a pure dance song, not a performance song. Score of 31.

Average Scores tonight:

1. Jordin Sparks 81.
2. Melinda Doolittle 80.
3. Blake Lewis 57.
4. LaKisha Jones 46.

Average Scores this Season:

1. Melinda Doolittle 90.
2. Jordin Sparks 80.
3. Blake Lewis 75.
4. LaKisha Jones 72.

Expected Bottom 2: Melinda and LaKisha.
Who Should Go: LaKisha.
Who Will Go: LaKisha.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:43 AM   #1624
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

lol, trash Bon Jovi with major venom last week and then praise the freaking Bee Gees?

Next Solecismic release..... Front Office Lounge Lizzard (you too, can be like Disco Stew)
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:07 AM   #1625
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

That's "Brothers Gibb," if ya'll interested.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:45 AM   #1626
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I think the show really exposed the contestants this week, when they should be protected. Very inferior, and it makes you wonder if any of these people can truly be stars once the cameras are off and they are in the regular pool of singers around the world trying to make a buck.

I truly believe that Melinda is the most professional of all the singers, but has the least long term potential. She sings each song perfectly, but devoid of any star quality and anything that "matters" today. So basically she is Reuben without the charisma, does great in the show but no one would buy her album or go see her in concert.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:37 AM   #1627
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Like Randy, I wish he had left the beat-boxing out of this one, it interrupted a solid performance and lowered the score

See...I don't quite get this. He only beat-boxed once during the song, at the very end. How did that "interrupt" his performance?

He did make that song sound VERY current, though. I could have sworn I've heard Maroon 5 sing it before...

Last edited by JeeberD : 05-09-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:56 AM   #1628
Ksyrup

If I had only listened to the mentoring sessions and not watched the show, I would have sworn the mentor this week was Sean Connery.

As a fan of rock music, I feel totally vindicated. They could have had a 2-song performance week of hair metal music that would have gone over better than last night's crapfest. That was truly awful. Not deserving of a 2-song night at all.

It seems fairly obvious that, just like last week when Simon undeservedly bashed Phil and then Chris (who deserved it), we're seeing who he/they want to be in the finals now. He bashed Melinda pretty hard for the first time this year, while falling all over Jordin's pretty mediocre first song. And by the time of her second song, they were running out of time so the negative comments for Jordin really didn't have time to stick.

Speaking of which, is it too much to ask AI to run another 15-30 minutes longer so that we can get a proper discussion of the performances by the judges? I only want to hear what Simon has to say, yet consistently, since he goes last, he gets the fewest words in. Last night was ridiculous. If Dancing With the Stars can run an extra 10-30 minutes when necessary, I don't see why the highest-rated show can't either.

Anyway...getting back to Blake - this is the second time he's run a particular type of performance into the ground. For the first few performances, I thought he did a good job of mixing the beat boxing with straight singing. And then he hit it big with the Who's Your Daddy song and parlayed that into 4 straight weeks of the same performance. Then when that stagnated, he pulled out the beat boxing again and now has run that into the ground. I actually liked the second song a lot, mostly because it was a Bee Gee's song I've never heard, but also because I liked that he arranged it in an 80s new wave-type style. I'm not sure I'd call that arrangement "modern," but it was different and it worked.

LaKisha...with Melinda and Jordin in the competition, I'd have rather seen Phil this week. She's just not necessary and she's overmatched at this point, laryngitis or not.

Oh, and I liked how Barry Gibb described every song as having a male falsetto vocal part, as if each one was the only song in his collection that had falsetto. "This choice really surprised me because it was originally written in falsetto for a male voice." REALLY?????!!!!! Cracked me up every time.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:10 AM   #1629
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, and I liked how Barry Gibb described every song as having a male falsetto vocal part, as if each one was the only song in his collection that had falsetto. "This choice really surprised me because it was originally written in falsetto for a male voice." REALLY?????!!!!! Cracked me up every time.

Same for me and Mrs. Eaglesfan. We made a game of it, trying to name any songs of theirs that didn't have a male falsetto voice.

Overall, not a good night. I agree that it's time for LaKisha to go and Blake should also be in the bottom 2. I liked Jordin very early in the auditions and I think she has to be the favorite to win it at this point and have the best post idol career (although I think Blake will have a nice post idol career as well.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:25 AM   #1630
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
I'm trying out some aromatherapy in addition to a standard decongestant.

This sentence and "I program hardcore text sim football games" should never be uttered by the same person.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #1631
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Was it just me or did Barry forget his poly grip? His upper dentures were falling out all night!
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #1632
Ksyrup

My wife made a similar comment - "Are any of those his original teeth?" He looked like he was speaking through a mouthpiece.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:44 AM   #1633
kurtism
High School Varsity

"Run to Me" ruined by the recent cover done by Matthew Sweet and Susannah Hoffs (yum). Not a big LaKisha fan anyway, but stacking her version of the song up against Sweet didn't do her any favors in my mind.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #1634
Ksyrup

Dialidol's results are not all that shocking to me. I'm hoping they do a bottom 2 tonight, because with as big a spread as they're showing between the top 2 and bottom 2, it would be easy to tell whether Dialidol had it right or not.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #1635
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Dialidol's results are not all that shocking to me. I'm hoping they do a bottom 2 tonight, because with as big a spread as they're showing between the top 2 and bottom 2, it would be easy to tell whether Dialidol had it right or not.

That is quite striking.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #1636
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I think it's safe to say that this season has no breakout performers, and is easily the most boring. Having 3 of the same type of singer in the final 4 is just awful.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #1637
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
I think it's safe to say that this season has no breakout performers, and is easily the most boring. Having 3 of the same type of singer in the final 4 is just awful.

But at the same time there is a part of me that thinks once they get her in a studio, coach her up, etc. that Jordin could be with the big two idol winners (Clarkson and Underwood) as far as commercial success... She has a lot of growing to do, but as Randy like sto annoyingly point out she is only 17... much of her problems really resolve around arrangement, song selection, etc, etc that she can be coached on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #1638
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wow, why did he sing? That was freaking awful. I almost would have rather listened to Sanjaya over that. That has to be one of the worst performances by a "special guest" on this show ever.

As for LaKisha leaving, that was predictable. Now will it be Jordin or Blake joining Melinda in the finale?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:22 PM   #1639
Ksyrup

Well, tonight there was definitely no bottom 2/3, and no tie-in to the votes, so we have no idea whether Blake was actually the 2nd-worst vote getter. I really wanted to see if DialIdol had it, too.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #1640
Logan
Head Coach

I'm willing to bet they were right. There's no need to "shock" anyone by having Melinda up there as the last to be saved, as there wasn't much doubt that Lakisha was gone.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #1641
Swaggs
Coordinator

That was one of the oddest live performances I have ever seen in my life.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:02 PM   #1642
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
As for LaKisha leaving, that was predictable. Now will it be Jordin or Blake joining Melinda in the finale?

If you believe DialIdol, Melinda and LaKisha were very close in the bottom 2, and Jordin and Blake were miles ahead of both of them, but close to each other, for the top 2. Next week's vote-off should be pretty interesting.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:57 AM   #1643
JeeberD
General Manager

Hey K, I saw this while looking for results from last night's show and it sounds like something that might be right up your alley...as long as there's enough rock bands.

http://www.reuters.com/article/telev...32955120070510

"Idol" team searching for next big American band

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "American Idol" creator Simon Fuller is teaming with Fox for another music competition, this time featuring aspiring bands.

The network has given the green light to the series, tentatively titled "The Search for the Next Great American Band." Sources speculated that Fox might air it in the fall when "Idol" is off.

"American Band" will feature music groups of all ages, styles and genres competing for the "Next Great American Band" title and a recording contract.

Like "Idol," there will be a series of auditions nationwide, and a panel of judges will narrow down the hopefuls to 10 semifinalists who will perform in front of a live studio audience.

Each week, the bands will be challenged to take on different music themes and styles. Viewers will vote for their favorites via telephone and text messaging and determine who stays in the competition.

There have been several band-themed reality series. They have focused primarily on building brand-new groups ("Popstars," "Making the Band") or adding a member to an existing band ("Rock Star," "Pussycat Dolls," "R U the Girl").

"American Band" will be produced by 19 Entertainment and FremantleMedia North America, the firms behind "Idol."

Old 05-10-2007, 07:00 AM   #1644
Ksyrup

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I haven't been so excited by an AI announcement since...I don't know when. I'm not sure I've ever been excited by an AI announcement before. They announced it during the show last night.

This is really the only way to do a rock-themed reality show. The idea of taking an existing band and adding a member during a contest just rings hollow to most rock fans. But being a nobody and winning a competition based on performance, that's where it's at.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-10-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:58 AM   #1645
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't trust any "American Idol" spinoff after the tragic failure of "American Juniors."
Old 05-10-2007, 08:08 AM   #1646
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I haven't been so excited by an AI announcement since...I don't know when. I'm not sure I've ever been excited by an AI announcement before. They announced it during the show last night.

Almost 400 posts in this thread beg to differ.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:11 AM   #1647
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I don't trust any "American Idol" spinoff after the tragic failure of "American Juniors."

Don't forget America's Got Talent. That's Simon's show, anyway. I can't wait for Jerry Springer!
Old 05-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #1648
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Each week, the bands will be challenged to take on different music themes and styles. [/i]

Aaaaaaannd.. they probably lost me. Do I really want a band that can play all different styles?

"We normally play Death Metal but, this week, we are going to bring the house down with music from Oklahoma"
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #1649
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Aaaaaaannd.. they probably lost me. Do I really want a band that can play all different styles?

"We normally play Death Metal but, this week, we are going to bring the house down with music from Oklahoma"

I'm with you on that, but the "reality" is (haha), that the only way to make a show out of this that will attract a large enough audience to justify the hype (particularly since AI has a reputation to uphold) is to make them play covers in a variety of genres. My happiness about this is that this should - and I emphasis should - mean that instead of listening to God-awful R&B, disco, and standards music, we'll get more musician-based music. I don't care if it's not limited to rock - I'd take listening to an actual country band over listening to a vocalist sing a song with the band as an after-thought. Obviously, though, I'm hoping this will be heavy on rock standards, if anything.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #1650
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Hopefully, polka, folk, speed metal, and techno will be some of the required genres. I really don't see how you can have a band competition over different genres -- the essence of a band is its genre.