Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #1601
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Great article in the NY Times today. Fun to hear how all the older generation of Royals staff/players is getting excited about this team. A lot of people probably haven't heard the story about how HOF'er Denny Matthews got the broadcasting job for the Royals.

Loyal to the Royals, Hoping for a Renaissance

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-03-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #1602
lungs
Pro Rookie

Not only are the Brewers pissing away their playoff chances and looking horrible in doing it, scouting director Bruce Seid passed away unexpectedly yesterday at 53.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #1603
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Curious what the Yankee fans think of the Jeter stuff at this point. The patch thing just seems ridiculous to me. He's retiring, not dying.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #1604
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And it isn't like the Yankees have never had a player as good before. How ridiculous.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #1605
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I still want some team to stiff him on the stupid farewell gifts

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #1606
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Y'all Haters.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #1607
cuervo72
Head Coach

Did this pbp guy for the ARZ/SD game win a contest or something?
Old 09-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #1608
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Cardinals in first and catching fire!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #1609
miked
College Starter

Lots of Jeter haters. He certainly does not deserve every accolade he's ever gotten, but jeez. The guy has almost 3500 hits (6th all time), a career average of .310, he's won a bunch of WS as captain of the team, and most importantly, he's managed to stay clear of nearly every bit of drama that his peers have been sucked in to. All while playing in a big market where cameras are on him 24/7. It's probably safe to say he's one of the greatest players of his generation and he's been going at it for 20 seasons. It's obviously over the top, but shouldn't we celebrate players like Jeter? Blah, and I'm not a Yankee fan so that made me ill.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #1610
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I still think it's a stretch to consider him "one of the greatest players of his generation."

Consistent...yes.
Durable...yes.
Would I want him "going to war with me" if I was a baseball player...yes.

But I think some of this "farewell tour" stuff is BS that he wouldn't be getting if he played for say...the Royals.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #1611
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Cardinals catching fire!

From your mouth to God's hears.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #1612
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Cardinals in first and catching fire!

The way the Brewers are playing I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards put them out of their misery this weekend.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #1613
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Potential Cubs lineup next year.

C Castillo, probably. Schwarber is likely not ready.
1B Rizzo
2B Baez
SS Castro
3B Bryant
RF Soler
CF Alcantra
LF Coughlan

It's a big leap to assume ALL of the kids will play consistently well, and it's the Cubs, but that's a scary everyday lineup there.

They've got some surprisingly pretty good young starting pitching. Get maybe one or two starters, add some more reliable arms in the bullpen, and I actually have a glimmer of hope next year.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-04-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #1614
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I still think it's a stretch to consider him "one of the greatest players of his generation."

Consistent...yes.
Durable...yes.

But I think some of this "farewell tour" stuff is BS that he wouldn't be getting if he played for say...the Royals.

I'm not even a Yankee fan and he's definitely one of the greatest players of his generation. It's not like he hit .275 and is hanging on just to get 3,000 hits. Sure, the gold gloves were a little suspect but he's definitely one of the best players of his generation.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #1615
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Potential Cubs lineup next year.

C Castillo, probably. Schwarber is likely not ready.
1B Rizzo
2B Baez
SS Castro
3B Bryant
RF Soler
CF Alcantra
LF Coughlan

It's a big leap to assume ALL of the kids will play consistently well, and it's the Cubs, but that's a scary everyday lineup there.

They've got some surprisingly pretty good young starting pitching. Get maybe one or two starters, add some more reliable arms in the bullpen, and I actually have a glimmer of hope next year.

The Cubs will start their rise next year and then in the following year they might be favorites for NL Central Champs.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #1616
Ramzavail
College Starter

I just got my Baez player t-shirt
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #1617
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Consistent...yes.
Durable...yes.

Is it comparable to what Cal Ripken got after he announced his retirement halfway through the season?

Cal Ripken's farewell tour - baltimoresun.com
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #1618
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:

Consistent...yes.
Durable...yes.

I'm not a big fan of the farewell tours, either.

On a personal level, I am beyond pleased with the level of baseball he, Teixeira, Sabathia, ARod and the trove of quick fixes the Yankees have added this year. 77th out of 79 players in OPS - WTG Jeets!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #1619
Blackadar
Retired

Jeter is both overrated and still one of the best players of his generation. He's done a great job at getting on base and providing a valuable bat for his team. His longevity is remarkable as his career production and durability. He's also been a role model and by all account a clubhouse leader in a clubhouse that often has turmoil. He will fully deserve his spot in the Hall of Fame.

At the same time he's an awful fielder, his Gold Gloves are a joke, his career WAR averages out to be 3.5 per season (good, but not awesome) and he stuck around too long. He's always been overhyped and overvalued by Yankee fans and has never deserved as high of a ranking in the MVP races as he's received.

No steroid comments - no one knows if he used them or not, so saying that he was clean in a dirty era can't be substantiated.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #1620
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm perfectly happy for all the accolades the Yankees want to heap on Jeter and he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

But I don't recall a farewell tour for Craig Biggio, who is pretty comparable stat-wise. Or any of the people who are probably considering part of a small hall that retired in the last 10 years (Maddux, Randy Johnson, Griffey, etc)? We saw one for Chipper Jones (huh?), Mariano Rivera, and now Jeter. Is David Ortiz next? Again, I get the team(s) a player played for doing something like that but not every team in the league.

SI

Old 09-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #1621
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm perfectly happy for all the accolades the Yankees want to heap on Jeter and he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

But I don't recall a farewell tour for Craig Biggio, who is pretty comparable stat-wise. Or any of the people who are probably considering part of a small hall that retired in the last 10 years (Maddux, Randy Johnson, Griffey, etc)? We saw one for Chipper Jones (huh?), Mariano Rivera, and now Jeter. Is David Ortiz next? Again, I get the team(s) a player played for doing something like that but not every team in the league.

SI

Exactly.

The "leaguewide farewell tour" phenomenon is ridiculous.

Unless you're like say...Babe Ruth/Michael Jordan...a transcendent, game-changing talent.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-04-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #1622
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Exactly.

Unless you're like say...Babe Ruth/Michael Jordan...a transcendent, game-changing talent.

It's just marketing to sell more tickets. "COME SEE JEETS IN HIS LAST GAME IN OAKLAND!!!" It will keep happening because it sells tickets.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #1623
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Exactly.

This.

I mean if we are going to do this for every "one of the greatest players of his generation" there are going to be far more farewell tours than we've currently gotten. Of course there is a 'small greatest players' and 'big greatest players' as there is a small Hall and a big Hall. I mean, I don't remember Frank Thomas getting a "Farewell Tour". Will Adrian Beltre have one? (though Albert Pujols probably will, I'd imagine).
Old 09-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #1624
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Look at career WAR (from Baseball-Reference), I came across the curious case of Alex Rodriguez. He's 12th All Time in career WAR at 116. I think we all knew he was putting up some great numbers (yes, yes... he was on the steroids), but I didn't realize he was putting up THESE types of numbers.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #1625
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Look at career WAR (from Baseball-Reference), I came across the curious case of Alex Rodriguez. He's 12th All Time in career WAR at 116. I think we all knew he was putting up some great numbers (yes, yes... he was on the steroids), but I didn't realize he was putting up THESE types of numbers.

I've often wondered what the 2001 Mariners would have done if he stayed there after becoming a free agent. They won 91 games in 2000 with him, and 116 in 2001 without him.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #1626
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
This.

I mean if we are going to do this for every "one of the greatest players of his generation" there are going to be far more farewell tours than we've currently gotten. Of course there is a 'small greatest players' and 'big greatest players' as there is a small Hall and a big Hall. I mean, I don't remember Frank Thomas getting a "Farewell Tour". Will Adrian Beltre have one? (though Albert Pujols probably will, I'd imagine).

It is because he plays for the Yankees. If he didn't his career would be similar to George Brett without the pine tar incident, a hall of famer for sure and great team guy who spent his career in one spot, but not an all time great. Playing for the Yankees brings it to a whole other level, being the captain, winning 5 titles, etc...puts him along side the legends.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #1627
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
The way the Brewers are playing I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards put them out of their misery this weekend.

If there is any time for the Brewers to come out of it, now is the time. (but I hope not)
Old 09-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #1628
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's just marketing to sell more tickets. "COME SEE JEETS IN HIS LAST GAME IN OAKLAND!!!" It will keep happening because it sells tickets.

This.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #1629
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Just looking at how the MILB season went this year and saw this guy who racked up 131 RBIs:

Marquez Smith

I feel bad for guys who consistently put up good MILB numbers but for some reason don't get the call-up. Must be very frustrating to be him.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #1630
Butter
Coordinator

Lots of talk on the Reds boards that he'll get named Reds Minor League Player of the Year.

If he's 29 and in advanced A ball, he must really be dedicated. The words "Crash Davis" were used in conjunction with this guy.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #1631
cuervo72
Head Coach

Noticed that he was in A ball...but what's the story here? He spent 3 seasons in AAA, and looks to have done pretty well before the Cubs look like they gave up on him.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #1632
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Huge week for the Royals. Three games against the Yankees this weekend and three games against the Tigers after that. The Boys in Blue can make life on themselves really hard or really easy on themselves depending on how these two series go.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #1633
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

I can understand opposing teams using it for marketing, the part that gets me is the Yankees retiring his number with a month left and putting a patch on their hats.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #1634
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Listen to NY sports radio. If the Yankees dare to "disrespect" the captain the airwaves would go crazy. This way they can sell tickets for a team out of the playoff race, sell uniforms and patches, and pacify a fanbase that would otherwise be screaming about missing the playoffs two years running.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #1635
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Ron Washington quits Rangers to deal with personal matters.

BREAKING: Ron Washington resigns as Rangers manager, citing an “off-the-field personal matter” | HardballTalk
Old 09-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #1636
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Listen to NY sports radio. If the Yankees dare to "disrespect" the captain the airwaves would go crazy. This way they can sell tickets for a team out of the playoff race, sell uniforms and patches, and pacify a fanbase that would otherwise be screaming about missing the playoffs two years running.
I guess I don't see how waiting until a guy retires to "retire" his jersey is disrespectful, but I've never seen eye to eye with the mouthbreathers who call in to sports radio. But I also would've moved him to 3B when they signed A-Rod, and dropped the guy hitting .259/.307/.307 over the last 2 seasons from 2nd in the lineup. No doubt the guy's a Hall of Famer, but the "selfless captain" narrative is a joke, and the narcissism on display this year makes me believe the "Yeah, Jeets" stories.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #1637
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

Washington has done a good job managing the Rangers in his time, but he has always seemed to be a bit troubled. I wonder if this goes back to the coke thing? Anyway, hope he is able to deal with his personal issues and gets back to baseball.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #1638
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh I get that - I guess I'm just being the grumpy old man.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #1639
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Oh I get that - I guess I'm just being the grumpy old man.

It's not just you. In KC, the sports radio airwaves were lit up with people complaining about the fact that the Royals were doing it. George Brett was a better player than Jeter and he didn't get a farewell tour. It's just stupid.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #1640
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Gonna miss Washington as the coach. First manager to win a playoff series, and took them to back-to-back World Series. Injuries decimated the team this year. Just hope what took him away from the game isn't too serious.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #1641
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I wonder if this goes back to the coke thing?
It's hard not to immediately wonder if this is the case. Which is probably unfair to Washington - it might be something else that he just doesn't want to share (at this time at least) with the general public.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #1642
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Dola - the Rangers are saying it's not related:

Quote:
The Rangers declined to discuss the personal matter that led Washington to step down. Daniels was willing to say that it was not a repeat of what happened in 2009, when Washington tested positive for cocaine. Daniels said this personal matter did not involve substance abuse but declined to shed any other information.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/932343...ington-resigns
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #1643
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

WOOHOO! Big Game and Davis silencing Yankees Stadium tonight! First time Royals have ever beat the Yankees 1-0 on the road.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #1644
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Bad news for the Blue Jays (slight) playoff hopes, as Melky Cabrera injured his pinky sliding back into first base and is out for the season.

Also, Allen Craig should be shut down for the rest of the season. He looks worse than Will Middlebrooks at the plate.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #1645
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I still want some team to stiff him on the stupid farewell gifts

SI

I hope the Orioles farewell gift to him is clinching the AL East when the Yankees are in town next weekend.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #1646
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sweet. Looks like they're going to be able to finish the SF-DET game tonight. Was worried for a bit that it was going to be stopped before being official. Don't want to see that with Detroit down 7-0 in the fourth inning.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #1647
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Stay hot Buster Posey!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
THIS!

Ok. Out of pure superstition now!
Old 09-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #1648
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, that blows. Time to see how long Duffy is out

SI

Old 09-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #1649
Jas_lov
College Starter

Teams have been giving Paul Konerko retirement gifts. It's just more publicized with Jeter. Tomorrow the Yankees are having a special day in Jeter's honor. Probably bring out a bunch of his old teammates, Torre, there's nothing wrong with a team and baseball honoring one of its greatest players.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #1650
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Teams have been giving Paul Konerko retirement gifts. It's just more publicized with Jeter.

That's not an endorsement. That's a further indictment of how stupid this all is.