Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #1651
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I'm enjoying Castles of Burgundy as a two-player game, but I think it's a bit too dice-luck dependent, different rules are necessary to alter the tile universe for a two-player game, and I think the mechanism for turn order is flawed.

It is hard to beat the strategy of doing everything to ensure you can play last in the last turn of a phase so that you can use a ship to grab first in the turn order for the first turn of the next phase.

I've only played twice, but this confuses me greatly. I find the luck of the dice greatly mitigated and even more so with the use of workers. I've done a game where one player was always last and yet won. Again, I need more plays of it, but what you are saying is going against my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I had a first printing and never had any issues with the punching. Sometimes I think people dont know how to punch very well.

The only time I was more careful with a game was Samurai Battles. The first edition had some serious component issues in some cases.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #1652
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I've only played twice, but this confuses me greatly. I find the luck of the dice greatly mitigated and even more so with the use of workers. I've done a game where one player was always last and yet won. Again, I need more plays of it, but what you are saying is going against my experience.

The only time I was more careful with a game was Samurai Battles. The first edition had some serious component issues in some cases.

I find being careful to cause more problems. Quick and decisive punches seem to work best in general.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #1653
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

With the two-player game, it's sometimes clear what you need to do, and the value of going first in a phase and getting that one tile off the board is absolutely huge. As such, either you need some dice luck or you need to stockpile a few workers. I think with more than two players, that problem goes away.

Some work (not that much) needs to go into a separate rules set for two players. Everything's there to make it a very good game for two, though.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #1654
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
I find being careful to cause more problems. Quick and decisive punches seem to work best in general.

With many copies of the first edition, from what I heard, that would have resulted in the top layer tearing badly on many pieces.

Of course, wishy-washy punching can lead to bed-wetting and, ultimately, trouble forming lasting attachments.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #1655
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
With many copies of the first edition, from what I heard, that would have resulted in the top layer tearing badly on many pieces.

Of course, wishy-washy punching can lead to bed-wetting and, ultimately, trouble forming lasting attachments.

Im like chit punching Ninja though

I probably just got lucky with my copy.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #1656
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Two days in a row a reviewer has said the AEG version of Trains, wasn't a Dominion clone, is the best deck builder they have played, and both said is the best game they have played so far this year. Granted the last one isn't difficult due to this year's no show for good games but still. Its score on BGG is kind of pedestrian for a game with so few of votes, but its standard deviation is rather low so the opinion is rather consistent.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #1657
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Looking for some thoughts on the following games for a future purchase...

Finca
Fresco
Jamaica
Kingdom Builder
Kingsburg
Libertalia
Takenoko

I primarily play with wife and/or kids (12/8). We enjoy most types of games but while I haven't introduced them to any worker placement games yet, I have played a couple on IOS myself (Stone Age/Agricola) and have come to the (premature?) realization that I'm not really a big fan of the genre. That may exclude a couple of the above.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #1658
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

0/7, haven't played any of them...sorry I'm no help.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #1659
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I own but haven't played Takenoko yet, but I think it would be one of the better picks. Kingsburg is going to need its expansion if you are looking for long term replay. It is a decent game. I think I rated it a 6.5 and said the expansion would move it into the 7 range. I only played it once and repeated plays would help since dice games can take some plays to really get a feel about them due to a more random game play. I haven't played the others so I merely have vibes about them.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #1660
tarcone
Coordinator

I really want Jamaica. I think your family would enjoy that game.

Game Day yesterday. 4 of us gathered in my basement. Kemet was the game on tap. I will give a quick review.
The art work is awesome. Very well done. Very ancient Egypt feeling. It looks outstanding.

The components are very nice. Thick VPs. The board is beautiful. The creatures are outstanding. I really like them. They look great on the board with your army. The little troops are great looking. Each faction looks different. They are a tad flimsy and Im worried over time that their legs may come off the bases. The cards are good quality. Thick. But, if you sleeve, you will want to. I can see them bending with lots of play. The power tiles are very thick stock. Very sturdy. Nicely put together.

The game itself is a lot of fun to play. It promotes battle. Eack battle the attacker wins they get a permanent VP. Games are too 8 (or 10) VPs. So attacking is important. The game is balanced in regards to start location. The Nile goes right down the middle of the board. Which made for something that I didnt like. But this may be due to this being our first game. It almost played as a one vs. one on the East side of the Nile and one vs. one on the West side of the Nile. Im sure this will change the more we play. Their are ways to earn temporary VPs. And they are temporary. They come and go as the game goes on. I liked that.
The power tiles were a cool mechanic. I would almost call them a tech tree. We had different tacks to acquiring the tiles. I went after the attack tiles 1st. And ignored the defense tiles completely. I did lose and that was one of the reasons why. The guy who won, got some really good tiles. That really strengthed his position. He had lots of attack and defense modifiers. But they werent so overpowering you couldnt beat him. And they are other things that help offset those.
The battle resolution system is based on army strength, creature attributes, battle cards and power tile modifiers. It is a solid battle resolution system. It reminded us of Game of Thrones. There was also damage and protection numbers ont he battle cards that determined if you lost men.
The action point system was cool as well. It was fluid. Things changed in that department. And it determined how many men you could recruit, if you could teleport or use divine intervention cards. Nicely done.
The divine intervention cards are nice little wild card. They add some cool things tot he game.

My group really liked this game. It took about 2 1/2 - 3 hours to play with rule explanation and play. But the more we play and are more comfortable with the game, I dont think it goes more then 2 hours. After all, you only need 8 or 10 VPs.

Kemet is a blast. I recommend it. This one is a great addition to my collection.

One guy had to leave, so 3 of us played Manhattan Project. Im not really a fan of this game. Just not my cup of tea I guess. But the other guys like it, so I play it and just enjoy myself.

That was it. A very enjoyable day. I cant wait to get Kemet to the table again.

And for Ticket to Ride. Someone suggested the Nordic Nations. I would really research that one before buying. I have heard it is difficult and the countries and city names make it difficult for the US based player. But that is just 2nd hand info. I may be wrong.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 08-08-2013 at 04:25 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #1661
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post

Finca
Fresco
Jamaica
Kingdom Builder
Kingsburg
Libertalia
Takenoko

Thumbs up for Kingsburg. I play this with wife and son (now 11) and it is a frequent choice for them on game nights. Game-flow is good, rules are pretty straightforward, and there's enough strategy to keep it interesting.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #1662
britrock88
Pro Starter

Takenoko is fun and not overly complex, but there's one thing that cripples the game. Playing for panda objectives (one of three classes) appears to be a highly dominant strategy. So I would say pick it up, play a few times, then decide if you want to counteract that strategy. The fortunate thing is you can just assign fewer points to panda objectives; it's not a mechanical issue, and therefore not a game-breaker--just something to work around.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #1663
Danny
Head Coach

If you focus only on panda objective I will beat you. That said I would agree they are the most powerful of the three but in order to win you need other players to contribute to your objectives which only happens with the other two.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #1664
Danny
Head Coach

You also need to roll the right things, so yiu need a balance. You want every single action to go toward an objective with nothing wasted. And again have other players contribute to your goals and then pounce on to finish them up.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #1665
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
...Kemet was the game on tap...

Glad to hear a great review on Kemet, it's been on my radar for a little while now. How does the Nile running down the middle of the board affect the game play? You simply can't cross it? I've read that the board is incredibly well balanced, so the two separate 1v1 areas of the board seems odd to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
And for Ticket to Ride. Someone suggested the Nordic Nations. I would really research that one before buying. I have heard it is difficult and the countries and city names make it difficult for the US based player. But that is just 2nd hand info. I may be wrong.

The names are definitely different, but we haven't had much trouble with them. Butchering the pronunciation usually doesn't impact the opponent understanding where you're playing
Old 08-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #1666
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Played Legendary with the expansion tonight. It's a huge, meaty expansion, effectively doubling the amount of heroes, masterminds and schemes. Tonight was a 5 player game against Mephisto, who's big on Wounds (if you're familiar with Dominion, think Curse cards). It'll take a few more plays to get used to the new heroes and their synergy, but tonight we used Angel (focuses on drawing cards), The Punisher (kind of a wildcard, big on KO'ing your own cards and has some abilities that affect the other players), X Force Wolverine (like the vanilla game's Wolverine, he's big on drawing cards and doing damage), Jean Grey (her cards focus almost exclusively on rescuing Bystanders), Colossus (similar to the Hulk in that he's all about Wounds) and Nightcrawler. Nightcrawler adds an interesting mechanic called Teleport - you can choose to set aside any of his cards instead of using them on a given hand, and instead draw them at the end of your turn after you've drawn your next hand. Mephisto beat us, but it was largely because a couple of the guys at the table were selfish. The Scheme we had was Weapons Grade Plutonium, and we ended up getting a measley henchman with 6 pieces of plutonium (if 4 leave the playing field, you lose). On two separate occasions two different players had the ability to take down the henchmen, and both opted to take out the Mastermind for more points. Eventually the henchman escaped and we lost the game.

We closed with King of Tokyo with the Power Up expansion. As always, a great game. The expansion tends to make the game last longer, as hearts (healing) are much more desirable. Still a short play, less than an hour for sure.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #1667
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Glad to hear a great review on Kemet, it's been on my radar for a little while now. How does the Nile running down the middle of the board affect the game play? You simply can't cross it? I've read that the board is incredibly well balanced, so the two separate 1v1 areas of the board seems odd to me.

I wasnt very clear on the Nile. There are harbors that you use to cross the Nile. So you definitely can cross the Nile. The board is very balanced. We played a 4 player game and we were all the same distance away from each other. But, I guess, the Nile distracted us from crossing it or created a false border. I think when we play it more, things will shake out a little differently.

I think this is one you should get. The quality of the game is outstanding. The game play is great. We really enjoyed it.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #1668
cschex
High School Varsity

Yeah, one of the most impressive things about Kemet is the board layout and how every space is reachable in 3 moves from every other space, which solves issues that games like Game of Thrones have in the there are no "obvious" moves base on your location.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #1669
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

This game looks fantastic - Kingdom Death: Monster

[IMG][/IMG]

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 08-09-2013 at 12:04 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #1670
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Played Legendary with the expansion tonight. It's a huge, meaty expansion, effectively doubling the amount of heroes, masterminds and schemes. Tonight was a 5 player game against Mephisto, who's big on Wounds (if you're familiar with Dominion, think Curse cards). It'll take a few more plays to get used to the new heroes and their synergy, but tonight we used Angel (focuses on drawing cards), The Punisher (kind of a wildcard, big on KO'ing your own cards and has some abilities that affect the other players), X Force Wolverine (like the vanilla game's Wolverine, he's big on drawing cards and doing damage), Jean Grey (her cards focus almost exclusively on rescuing Bystanders), Colossus (similar to the Hulk in that he's all about Wounds) and Nightcrawler. Nightcrawler adds an interesting mechanic called Teleport - you can choose to set aside any of his cards instead of using them on a given hand, and instead draw them at the end of your turn after you've drawn your next hand. Mephisto beat us, but it was largely because a couple of the guys at the table were selfish. The Scheme we had was Weapons Grade Plutonium, and we ended up getting a measley henchman with 6 pieces of plutonium (if 4 leave the playing field, you lose). On two separate occasions two different players had the ability to take down the henchmen, and both opted to take out the Mastermind for more points. Eventually the henchman escaped and we lost the game.
Is the expansion worth it? My son and I have a blast playing the original Legendary.

Also, the DC version is on sale at Amazon for $29. Has anyone had any experience playing it?

Amazon.com: DC Comics Deck Building Game: Toys & Games
Old 08-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #1671
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
This game looks fantastic - Kingdom Death: Monster

You need to fix your link. There was much discussion on BGG about the quality of gameplay though. New designer, no publisher, longer development time due to still play testing the game, etc. Sedition Wars went through a similar hype phase and the game is already on its third edition of rules in under a year.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #1672
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Is the expansion worth it? My son and I have a blast playing the original Legendary.

Also, the DC version is on sale at Amazon for $29. Has anyone had any experience playing it?

Amazon.com: DC Comics Deck Building Game: Toys & Games

The new expansion fixes the common complaint of the game being easy. I think the biggest complaint about the DC is it is a little too free form in its theme. Stuff like you can have Superman using the Bat mobile while using Wonder Woman's lasso.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #1673
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The names are definitely different, but we haven't had much trouble with them. Butchering the pronunciation usually doesn't impact the opponent understanding where you're playing

LOL! It could be a game in itself .
Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #1674
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
The new expansion fixes the common complaint of the game being easy. I think the biggest complaint about the DC is it is a little too free form in its theme. Stuff like you can have Superman using the Bat mobile while using Wonder Woman's lasso.
Any thoughts on this one?

Amazon.com: Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars: The Card Game: Toys & Games

My son's birthday is coming up in a month and he wants another deck builder with the Marvel/DC/Star Wars theme.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #1675
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
You need to fix your link. There was much discussion on BGG about the quality of gameplay though. New designer, no publisher, longer development time due to still play testing the game, etc. Sedition Wars went through a similar hype phase and the game is already on its third edition of rules in under a year.

Fixed... I'll be following this closely - hope it stacks up to the hype it's received (over 2 mil from KS!)

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 08-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #1676
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

My son's birthday is coming up in a month and he wants another deck builder with the Marvel/DC/Star Wars theme.

The Star Wars game is more about deck construction before the game starts versus the deck building that happens in game. I haven't played any of the LCGs, but I went and researched all of them in case I wanted to pick one up. I liked that both sides had their own victory conditions. Battles are resolved in a similar fashion to Starcraft which I like. There is the tension of sending guys out to fight versus holding them back so you can have the one game piece flipped to your side. The theme likely keeps it as the LCG I would get if I did get one. It is near the Top 150 on BGG so I can't imagine it being that bad or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Fixed... I'll be following this closely - hope it stacks up to the hype it's received (over 2 mil from KS!)

I just pause on stuff like it because not having a publisher means you might not have a good person telling you your game is crap or what needs to be better. I'm also curious to know if all of the miniatures are prebuilt or not. Cool Mini or Not is the one helping with the game, but they are also tied to the Sedition Wars game as well, so yeah.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #1677
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Finca
Fresco
Jamaica
Kingdom Builder
Kingsburg
Libertalia
Takenoko

I primarily play with wife and/or kids (12/8). We enjoy most types of games but while I haven't introduced them to any worker placement games yet, I have played a couple on IOS myself (Stone Age/Agricola) and have come to the (premature?) realization that I'm not really a big fan of the genre. That may exclude a couple of the above.

A couple that I'm familiar with
Kingsburg. Not one of my favorites. I think Alien Frontiers is very similar, and to me much preferred to Kingsburg. It seemed to be more accessible for new and likely younger gamers, so I'll say if you're looking for Kingsburg, take a look at Alien Frontiers.

Libertalia. This is a one of my favorites of last year. Quick, accessible, different every time, and fun. Mostly played with gamers with a lighter preference, but IMO it is quick enough and has enough teeth to have the occasional appeal for those who prefer deeper games. My daughter and nephews like this one a lot, and my wife enjoys it as well. Well at least my wife will play it.

I've got to run now, but I'll pop back in with probably more than you really want to know about Kingdom Builder.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #1678
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

Finca
Fresco
Jamaica
Kingdom Builder
Kingsburg
Libertalia
Takenoko

Ive played five of those and own 4 (and used to own the 5th).

First the bad, I am not crazy about Fresco and this mostly due to one thing. Instead of most worker placements where you take turns placing meeples, everyone preselects where all their meeples will go behind their screen. This can really bog the game down depending on who you play with, but even I was tempted to take a while to try and perfectly plan it out.

Now for the good. Kinsgburg base game is decent, but it shines with the expansion. Of course you then have to spend $53 or so to get the full experience. Kingdom builder is good when played as a quick filler. I wont play this will people who over analyze it. Finca is a fun little game, but I wouldnt say anything is spectacular about it. Takenoko is fantastic and the best of the 5 for me as a family / casual players game. It looks gorgeous, is easy to play and actually has a fair amount of tactics and strategy.

Also, I havent played them, but have watch reviews and I would Libertalia or Jamaica would be fine choice if playing with 4+ people. I rarely do which is why I did not really consider adding them to my collection.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #1679
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
A couple that I'm familiar with
Kingsburg. Not one of my favorites. I think Alien Frontiers is very similar, and to me much preferred to Kingsburg. It seemed to be more accessible for new and likely younger gamers, so I'll say if you're looking for Kingsburg, take a look at Alien Frontiers.

Libertalia. This is a one of my favorites of last year. Quick, accessible, different every time, and fun. Mostly played with gamers with a lighter preference, but IMO it is quick enough and has enough teeth to have the occasional appeal for those who prefer deeper games. My daughter and nephews like this one a lot, and my wife enjoys it as well. Well at least my wife will play it.

I've got to run now, but I'll pop back in with probably more than you really want to know about Kingdom Builder.

Reread your post closer. Based on your criteria, I would recommend Takenoko and Jamaica.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #1680
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm going to need more plays to be sure, but it seems like it will be. The new schemes are a bit more complex and (though we've only played one) seem more difficult. Have very little feel for the new heroes. Nightcrawler's teleport seems like it could be overpowered, since there's no limit to the number of times you can set aside his cards, nor to the number you can set aside.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 08-09-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #1681
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:

In addition to what Matt said above, I'll add this is the one FF LCG I still own and actively keep up with. The main things to know is that if you're wanting to have "equal" decks 2 core sets might be the best purchase, but it is absolutely playable for casual games with 1. I enjoy the different victory conditions and the theme quite a bit.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #1682
Danny
Head Coach

I have no personal interest in the LCG model at all, but if you are ok with that then Star Wars TCG is probably a good one.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #1683
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
In addition to what Matt said above, I'll add this is the one FF LCG I still own and actively keep up with. The main things to know is that if you're wanting to have "equal" decks 2 core sets might be the best purchase, but it is absolutely playable for casual games with 1. I enjoy the different victory conditions and the theme quite a bit.

I forgot to add about the possible 2 Core set issue. It is just part of the nature of the FFG LCG beast. Again, one Core set might be fine. At least play it with one to see if you like it and then go from there.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #1684
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Reread your post closer. ...

Not sure what I'm missing. We need one of those hand whooshing over the head smilies.

I did promise to get back to talk up Kingdom Builder. This is one of the games where I'll say one should be wary of the reviews on BGG. There are a number of reviews slamming this game, primarily saying things along the lines of "It plays itself", "there are no meaningful decisions", and "You are at the mercy of the cards you draw". These are pretty well misguided. I've played this game a lot. It is one of my wife's favorites. With that said I'll elaborate a bit.

KB is initially a very accessible game that new players can understand in pretty short order. While they understand it, they probably won't be very good at it. This is where most players run into issues with the game "playing itself" and taking away decisions. This can happen, especially if you are new to the game or not very experienced. The game plays quickly enough that it begs to be "played again". I've played many back to back KB games. Once you have a couple of games under your belt, you will start to pick up on little tricks or tactics. You'll continue to pick these things up as you play the game. There is definitely skill involved here, as my wife will beat me nine times out of ten.

So there is definitely a lot more to this game than is evident in one play. I really enjoyed learning the game with my wife, as our skills developed over time and together with additional plays. She still beats me, but she at least has to play well to do it.

Also to the original poster discussing worker placement games. If you are interested in giving the genre another try through a lighter offering, take a look at Ninjato. A fun and interestingly themed worker placement game combined with some very accessible mechanics like push your luck and set collection.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #1685
Danny
Head Coach

I meant that I re-read your post closer
Old 08-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #1686
tarcone
Coordinator

Not a fan of kingdom builder. I player a couple games only. But this is one I wouldnt buy. I would play it, if my group wanted to. But I judge games on if I would buy it. Because I would. And this is a game I Hsve no interest in buying.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #1687
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think Kingdom Builder is a try before you buy. I know I wouldn't like it, but many do so it is tough to just say to avoid it or buy it. Offhand I am just seeing reviews of it versus actual playthroughs.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #1688
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Have you played the expansions, Capitals, Caves, Crossroads or Nomads, and if so, how much do they add? I see that there is a big box edition scheduled for later this year at a relatively decent price point for what you get.

As far as area control games go, has anyone played Eight Minute Empire? It looks promising as well for a unique filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Not sure what I'm missing. We need one of those hand whooshing over the head smilies.

I did promise to get back to talk up Kingdom Builder. This is one of the games where I'll say one should be wary of the reviews on BGG. There are a number of reviews slamming this game, primarily saying things along the lines of "It plays itself", "there are no meaningful decisions", and "You are at the mercy of the cards you draw". These are pretty well misguided. I've played this game a lot. It is one of my wife's favorites. With that said I'll elaborate a bit.

KB is initially a very accessible game that new players can understand in pretty short order. While they understand it, they probably won't be very good at it. This is where most players run into issues with the game "playing itself" and taking away decisions. This can happen, especially if you are new to the game or not very experienced. The game plays quickly enough that it begs to be "played again". I've played many back to back KB games. Once you have a couple of games under your belt, you will start to pick up on little tricks or tactics. You'll continue to pick these things up as you play the game. There is definitely skill involved here, as my wife will beat me nine times out of ten.

So there is definitely a lot more to this game than is evident in one play. I really enjoyed learning the game with my wife, as our skills developed over time and together with additional plays. She still beats me, but she at least has to play well to do it.

Also to the original poster discussing worker placement games. If you are interested in giving the genre another try through a lighter offering, take a look at Ninjato. A fun and interestingly themed worker placement game combined with some very accessible mechanics like push your luck and set collection.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #1689
Danny
Head Coach

Id wait for the big box if you want it. Queen's expansions are overpriced, but the big box' are actually great value.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #1690
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Have you played the expansions, Capitals, Caves, Crossroads or Nomads, and if so, how much do they add? I see that there is a big box edition scheduled for later this year at a relatively decent price point for what you get.

As far as area control games go, has anyone played Eight Minute Empire? It looks promising as well for a unique filler.

Eight minute empire is good game. I chose to keep it in my collection. It plays quickly and is easy to play, but has enough decisions to keep it interesting.

Not sure if anyone wants to spend this much, but there is a combo deal at amazon for Eight Minute Empire + europe board expansion and CIty of Iron. I believe this is the only way to still get the europe board

500 Service Unavailable Error

City of iron is a great euro

Last edited by Danny : 08-10-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #1691
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm playing Space Empires tomorrow. Any hints/strategies people would like to share would be great. I've never played before.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #1692
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Pick a tech and run with it. Movement tech can be great, but you don't have an advantage until movement 4 or 5. Fighter tech can be great, but you want to heavily invest in it if you gotcha troupe. Make sure you have mine sweepers with attack fleets if you are playing with mine rules.

I never used tactics much. Attack and defense I only invest n if I am pursuing ship size. Cloaking tech for raiders can be great fun.

The other item is invest in infrastructure.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #1693
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Played a couple of games with co-workers recently:

The Resistance. This was a tonne of fun, and I ended up going out and purchasing my own copy. It won't get a lot of play because it requires 5+ people, but I think it will be perfect for certain situations, and at $20 it didn't take a large bite out of the pocketbook either.

Tales of the Arabian Nights. This game was pretty hilarious but is not really much of a game. It's more an exercise in rolling dice and looking up values in tables. Everything is completely random. I'd enjoy playing it again, but the returns would diminish dramatically with every additional play I suspect. So, not one I'd ever want to purchase, but certainly a game I wouldn't hesitate to jump in on if others were playing it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 08-13-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Addded link to BGG
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #1694
Danny
Head Coach

Tales is an activity, not really a game, but its fun
Old 08-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #1695
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

This is a longshot, but I'll throw it out there. My favorite table-top game right now is History Maker Baseball by PLAAY.com games. Next month on 9/14, the game designer Keith Avallone is coming to my town (Oceanside, CA) to host a day-long pre-play of the MLB 2013 Playoffs. I'm hoping there might be some of you in the Southern California area that may want to participate, as the more people we get, the more successful and fun the event will be.

HMB is different than most modern card & dice games in that the players are described by "qualities", not by ratings. These qualities are then checked on each dice roll and the game book drives the action. Additionally, the game incorporates "outside the lines" events that can change the makeup of a player and/or team throughout a series or season. You can read more about it on the website: HISTORY MAKER BASEBALL Big League Baseball Board Game. It's not meant to be a strict replay-focused game like Strat, Dynasty League, Replay, APBA, etc. It's designed to allow for some interesting variations in player performance, and also allow the game player to step into the role of manager with the ability to influence team-chemistry, give a struggling pitcher a pep-talk, etc. It's really a blast to play.

Keith is pretty confident that with about 75% of the season completed, the player quality definitions will be largely the same as if he waited for the season to end. So he is going to create the 2013 player cards before the season is over, allowing gamer's to play along with the end of the season and the playoffs if they want. Of course he's also hoping this event will help with sales and getting the word out about the game.

If anyone is interested, you can contact me (padresfanmods at mac dot com) and I can fill you in on the rest of the details!!

Al
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #1696
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I was able to snag Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island. Really looking forward to playing this one co-op and solo.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 08-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #1697
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Should get my copy of Suburbia in today. Anyone who already has it know of any easy to miss rules/tile misunderstandings? The rules seem extremely simple, so the only thing I anticipate being tough would be interpreting some of the tiles.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #1698
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The icons are very straightforward. The manual is four pages and there is a player aid listing all of the tiles and their meanings. They also list the secret goals but don't show a description likely due to how easy they are to figure out. Miscreant and Miser are for being the lowest on the respective Reputation and Income tracks. Those are the only two that raised questions. It is honestly one of the easiest games to open up, read the rules, and start playing. Keeping track of the bonuses is really the only possible annoying aspect.

Last edited by Matthean : 08-14-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #1699
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

So far I'm going with FFG announcing a new version of Battlelore set in Terrinoth as being the news of GenCon.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #1700
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The icons are very straightforward. The manual is four pages and there is a player aid listing all of the tiles and their meanings. They also list the secret goals but don't show a description likely due to how easy they are to figure out. Miscreant and Miser are for being the lowest on the respective Reputation and Income tracks. Those are the only two that raised questions. It is honestly one of the easiest games to open up, read the rules, and start playing. Keeping track of the bonuses is really the only possible annoying aspect.

Just ordered this as well. Is there any good way to keep track of things? I saw a few homemade scoring tracks on BGG that might be helpful.