Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #1651
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Is Fallen Enchantress: LH worth it at 19.99?

The Humble Store has it for $10 and it is worth it.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #1652
Tasan
College Starter

Is Call of Juarez any good/comparable to Red Dead Redemption? RDR not coming to PC was a big bummer for me and I'd love to play some wild west shooter.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #1653
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Is Call of Juarez any good/comparable to Red Dead Redemption? RDR not coming to PC was a big bummer for me and I'd love to play some wild west shooter.

It's not comparable to RDR at all, but it is a good FPS.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #1654
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Lots of good reviews on it. Also there is a demo. The thing I don't like about it is that it's a checkpoint and no quick save game. Pisses me off when games don't have qs.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #1655
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Picked up Shadown run. Not disappointed so far. Love the cyberpunk setting, shades of Fallout 1/2 and definte XCom combat.

Not enamored with the skill system so far, but it seems to still allow for a wide range of ways to play the game. I think I dislike the interface for it more than anything.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #1656
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Do we expect Rome TW II to get any cheaper than 50%?

I know it's still got issues, but I've got faith that they'll fix enough of them with patches.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-30-2013 at 06:10 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #1657
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Do we expect Rome TW II to get any cheaper than 50%?

It won't during this sale. Might get it for $24 if GMG has it half off and eligible for a discount code.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #1658
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
It won't during this sale. Might get it for $24 if GMG has it half off and eligible for a discount code.

Anybody know if it's enjoyable in its current state?

I read all about the launchday issues.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #1659
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

I know there have been some fixes, can't say I've been following closely enough to know if it's worth playing now. After watching Angry Joe's review of it though I'd have to read amazing things about it for me to pick it up.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #1660
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

Stay far, far away. Even after 7 patches the game isn't done yet and from many accounts isn't that much fun anyway.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #1661
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Stay far, far away. Even after 7 patches the game isn't done yet and from many accounts isn't that much fun anyway.

I so want it to be good though.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #1662
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

I so want it to be good though.

Considering Rome TW is my favorite of the series, so did I. But after getting burned on Empire, I'm forever in a "wait and see" mode with the series now and I'm quite glad I didn't give in to temptation on this one.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #1663
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Is Fallen Enchantress: LH worth it at 19.99?

$8 for the next 2 hours 45 minutes on GMG with voucher code TAREM-4PLAY-VOUCH.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/4-play/
Old 12-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #1664
Thomkal
Head Coach

Bought Civ 5: Brave New World today for my nephew at 50% off...only to watch it go 75% off two hours later
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #1665
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Considering Rome TW is my favorite of the series, so did I. But after getting burned on Empire, I'm forever in a "wait and see" mode with the series now and I'm quite glad I didn't give in to temptation on this one.

I took the plunge at $29.99 and it's plays fine so far.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #1666
Radii
Head Coach

How is NBA 2k14 on PC? Its on flash sale for the next 2 hours, I'm not actively looking for a basketball game right now but if the PC version is solid I could see dumping some time into it when I'm done w/ current games.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #1667
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I enjoyed 2k11 and 2k12 on the PC quite a bit.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #1668
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
How is NBA 2k14 on PC? Its on flash sale for the next 2 hours, I'm not actively looking for a basketball game right now but if the PC version is solid I could see dumping some time into it when I'm done w/ current games.

They're solid games on the PC just don't expect patch support. Definitely worth $15 if you're looking for a PC basketball game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #1669
Thomkal
Head Coach

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/12/03/st...games-at-once/
Old 12-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #1670
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Picked up Brutal Legend for $1.99.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #1671
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I picked up Starbound on early access for $15 - we'll see how it is but I love the concept of Terraria in space and unlimited procedurally generated planets is just cool.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #1672
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

would love to hear your thoughts on Starbound. since really interesting (although I would never pay decent money for an early access game)
Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #1673
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I promised never to pay early access money or kickstarter again. So many of them are just flat out scams at this point.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #1674
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I really hate all the early access games, especially without the ability to filter them out. The only thing Steam has gotten wrong.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #1675
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am not a fan of early access games either. I have bought some on the cheap, but have no intention of really playing them until they're complete.

I don't want to spend time playing a half-made game and then either get annoyed with functions that don't exist or bugs that are still being worked out to the extent that I give up on the game for good, or play the early version so much that by the time it's actually complete I no longer have interest.

Mount & Blade is a good example. That was essentially an "early access" game for years. I paid around $12 for it and definitely got my money's worth. I had a lot of fun with it and played it a ton for a while there. I have never, however, played the final version of the game and likely never will.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #1676
Blackadar
Retired

For those who don't like early access games, there's a simple solution.

Don't buy them. I don't. But I like Early Access. (keep reading)

Personally, I rarely go in for any early access game. My game time is limited so I prefer to play things that are polished. But at the same time, I think that early access can have some definite benefits. I've played games in alpha/beta that I thought were great. Kerbal Space Program, for instance, is a wonderful early access game that I enjoyed thoroughly. I've put it down for the last year and I'll pick it up again when it's done, but I already got my money out of it.

For many Early Access games I'm in wait and see mode. Right now my Steam wishlist includes Project Zomboid, Underrail, Craft the World, Banished and Legends of Eisenwald - all early access games. Frankly, I like that these are on Steam because I see a constant flow of feedback, reviews, responses from the developer and so forth. I get to see how the developer interacts with the consumer. I get to see many reviews - some trollish, some fanboyish and some in the middle. It's not hard to identify what is what to separate the wheat from the chaff. So Early Access has a major benefit for me - I get better feedback as a consumer than I would otherwise. And developers get to release their (hopefully mostly intact) game, get feedback on it and start to get some cash flow in the door to polish it up. I don't see any problem with that so long as it's clearly disclosed.

---

As for Kickstarter, I've been selective about what I've funded and I've been generally happy thus far. I've backed games like Castle Story, Torment, Dead State and Project Eternity. These are games I want to see made and were all large, successful Kickstarters. I haven't received the products yet, but I'm ok with that. I've also backed projects like Enemy ($18,000 raised) because the concept was really interesting. It may be a bust, but I only have $10 in it.

I backed Starbound too. I haven't had a chance to play it, but my son has and he says it's quite good (if hard). I also backed Shadowrun Returns and have been happy with that purchase.

I haven't been scammed yet and I think it's quite easy to sniff out most of them. I posted the story of Civitas here when it was on KS because it didn't smell right.

Last edited by Blackadar : 12-05-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #1677
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I don't buy them. However I can't avoid them. Half the times I click on a game that looks interesting it turns out to be an early access, they are everywhere now. It's just irritating. If they let me filter them out from being displayed on the front page I'd have no issues at all. Just give me that check box.

Very much a first world problem, I know.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-05-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #1678
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
For those who don't like early access games, there's a simple solution.

Don't buy them. I don't. But I like Early Access. (keep reading)

Personally, I rarely go in for any early access game. My game time is limited so I prefer to play things that are polished. But at the same time, I think that early access can have some definite benefits. I've played games in alpha/beta that I thought were great. Kerbal Space Program, for instance, is a wonderful early access game that I enjoyed thoroughly. I've put it down for the last year and I'll pick it up again when it's done, but I already got my money out of it.

For many Early Access games I'm in wait and see mode. Right now my Steam wishlist includes Project Zomboid, Underrail, Craft the World, Banished and Legends of Eisenwald - all early access games. Frankly, I like that these are on Steam because I see a constant flow of feedback, reviews, responses from the developer and so forth. I get to see how the developer interacts with the consumer. I get to see many reviews - some trollish, some fanboyish and some in the middle. It's not hard to identify what is what to separate the wheat from the chaff. So Early Access has a major benefit for me - I get better feedback as a consumer than I would otherwise. And developers get to release their (hopefully mostly intact) game, get feedback on it and start to get some cash flow in the door to polish it up. I don't see any problem with that so long as it's clearly disclosed.

---

As for Kickstarter, I've been selective about what I've funded and I've been generally happy thus far. I've backed games like Castle Story, Torment, Dead State and Project Eternity. These are games I want to see made and were all large, successful Kickstarters. I haven't received the products yet, but I'm ok with that. I've also backed projects like Enemy ($18,000 raised) because the concept was really interesting. It may be a bust, but I only have $10 in it.

I backed Starbound too. I haven't had a chance to play it, but my son has and he says it's quite good (if hard). I also backed Shadowrun Returns and have been happy with that purchase.

I haven't been scammed yet and I think it's quite easy to sniff out most of them. I posted the story of Civitas here when it was on KS because it didn't smell right.

Nobody implied that they were forced to buy them. It was more a discussion as the merits, or lack thereof, of their existence.

I have bought a few early access games. I've owned "Project Zomboid" for years now, but other than trying it out very early on for a few days and seeing it's potential, I haven't played it. I also bought some "Dungeon Keeper" type game (I forget it's exact title) on early access, but haven't (and won't) play it until it's complete.

I have supported over a dozen kickstarter games. I am patient and can wait. I have more than enough games to play at the moment. Too many, probably.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #1679
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I don't buy them. However I can't avoid them. Half the times I click on a game that looks interesting it turns out to be an early access, they are everywhere now. It's just irritating. If they let me filter them out from being displayed on the front page I'd have no issues at all. Just give me that check box.

Very much a first world problem, I know.

I'd like an option to filter out every first person shooter, but that's not likely to happen.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #1680
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Ha, I don't equate beta and genre as the same thing. I don't want a beta game no matter the genre. There are plenty of genres I'm not interested in, but it never bothered me to see them heavily advertised.

Clearly though, I'm only speaking for me.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #1681
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Ha, I don't equate beta and genre as the same thing. I don't want a beta game no matter the genre. There are plenty of genres I'm not interested in, but it never bothered me to see them heavily advertised.

Clearly though, I'm only speaking for me.

Your position is understandable and reasonable. After all, I rarely play Early Access games myself - I'm sure for similar reasons that you have.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #1682
mckerney
Coordinator

Starbound is at least the type of game I'd buy early access for, it makes sense for sandbox and multiplayer games. I'm a bit surprised by some of the RPGs I've seen in early access.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #1683
Grover
Pro Starter

Blackadar: Buy Underrail, even in early access you won't be disappointed at all. Fantastic little game.

Nuclear Throne is another that I'd recommend for anybody.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Last edited by Grover : 12-05-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #1684
mckerney
Coordinator

Steam has added the ability for turn based multiplayer games to give you turn notifications.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #1685
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Blackadar: Buy Underrail, even in early access you won't be disappointed at all. Fantastic little game.

Nuclear Throne is another that I'd recommend for anybody.

Grover - tell me more.

It's on my wish list, but I'd like to know what you find cool about it.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #1686
Blackadar
Retired

Back to the discussion on Early Access. I'm starting to change my mind a bit.

I haven't entirely changed my mind, but the definition of Early Access is getting absurd. Yes, I know they're not feature complete and they're buggy. But there comes a point where the game just isn't ready to be consumed by anyone.

For example Starbase DF-9 released with almost zero content - not just buggy, but many systems aren't even place yet. Maia is little more than a promising concept with no actual gameplay. Now Dungeon of the Endless - a rogue-like with supposedly an endless dungeon - released on EA with 3 levels that takes 30 minutes to complete. That's it. No more. The very premise of the game (the endless dungeon) isn't in the game yet!

How long will it be until someone releases an early access game that's nothing more than the front loading screen?

Last edited by Blackadar : 12-12-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #1687
Dutch
"Dutch"

Yup, they really need to keep this stuff separated from the finished products.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #1688
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
How long will it be until someone releases an early access game that's nothing more than the front loading screen?

Give me a couple of hours and I can throw something together for you
Old 12-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #1689
Dutch
"Dutch"

Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #1690
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Wasn't a big fan of Terraria but I watched a few Let's Plays and I've been having a blast with Starbound. The SideScrolling Minecraft concept didn't work for me at first. I will take another look at Terraria too now that I "get it."

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #1691
Bobble
College Prospect

I know it was talked about on here when Sid Meier's Ace Patrol came out on the iphone but my iphone screen isn't big enough to enjoy this game. I got it on Steam and am really enjoying it. It's got a Wings of War/Blue Max feel. Simple enough to jump into a quick flight or two but not so complex that I have to keep track of whether I've flown the requisite straits before I can bank left (or whatever). I just finished the campaign with training using the British.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #1692
PilotMan
Head Coach

Rumors have the big winter sale starting next Thursday the 19th and running through Jan 2.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-13-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Ends on the 2nd not 3rd.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #1693
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Rumors have the big winter sale starting next Thursday the 19th and running through Jan 3.

I wonder if they will have AC4 for the PC on sale then?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #1694
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Rumors have the big winter sale starting next Thursday the 19th and running through Jan 2.

30 games on my wishlist.

Wallet Damage Threat Meter: CRITICAL
Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #1695
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
30 games on my wishlist.

Wallet Damage Threat Meter: CRITICAL

We're at WalletCON 1, eh?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #1696
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

While it has the typical trappings of any F2P type of game, Might and Magic: Duel of Champions has sort of a M:TG and Summoner Wars vibe to it.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #1697
frnk55
High School Varsity

Tales of Maj Eyal a new rogue like RP turned based game. Just 6 bucks and so far it looks pretty cool with decent character development.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #1698
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Tales of Maj Eyal a new rogue like RP turned based game. Just 6 bucks and so far it looks pretty cool with decent character development.

Actually its not new, just new to Steam. It's been around for several years now, but TOME4 is the first really to set itself apart from being an angband variant into its own game and world. Started out as a nod to Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, then went back to its Tolkien roots due to legal issues with McCaffrey.

Good news that its on Steam, though I'd rather not have to pay for it given its history as a free game. $6 not a bad price to pay for it I suppose.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #1699
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Actually its not new, just new to Steam. It's been around for several years now, but TOME4 is the first really to set itself apart from being an angband variant into its own game and world. Started out as a nod to Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, then went back to its Tolkien roots due to legal issues with McCaffrey.

Good news that its on Steam, though I'd rather not have to pay for it given its history as a free game. $6 not a bad price to pay for it I suppose.
How the hell did I miss this one? Oh well, better late than never. Fun game it is.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #1700
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
How the hell did I miss this one? Oh well, better late than never. Fun game it is.

Yep better late than never. And its a roguelike so you can play it over and over again even if you win