Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2007, 10:59 PM   #1801
SFL Cat
College Starter

One of the most underwhelming season finales I have ever seen. Way too understated, especially with the way they were building things up during the last several episodes.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:53 AM   #1802
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
there's a recap of some of the live blog session that happened last night with Tim Kring and Hayden Panetierre at this link:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=10622

I'm never sure what is and isn't a spoiler anymore (and it's late for me now) and I couldn't find how to make the dang spoiler tags work, so click it if you want to...

Mostly talks a bit about volume 2, no mention of who will be and who won't be there, more general ideas. Also explains a bit of what Origins will be...

Very little that's spoilerish, IMO. Maybe one or two things he says outright that are things that you follow from the internal logic presented on the show.

I guess the most noteworthy bits are implications about particular people returning in the future.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:12 AM   #1803
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I thought the finale pretty much sucked. Sylar surviving? Nathan needlessly sacrificing himself? I just saw a lot of lazy writing in this episode. Blech. I'm looking forward to this turning into a complete turd by the middle of season 2.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:38 AM   #1804
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
He should also be able to stop time (he's been around Hiro enough) and use any other powers that Sylar has (unless he can block Peter absorbing them, another stretch).
Maybe the only power that Peter can absorb from Sylar is his ability to see how things work. Are we sure Peter got telekinesis from Sylar? If that's the case, Peter may not even know that he has that power. Peter seems to not be aware of powers that he has unless he sees a sign, such as his hands glowing or floating three feet off the ground.

The name 'Generations', the scene with Charles, and the beginning snippet we saw with Hiro makes me think that Volume 2 will deal a lot with backstory.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:59 AM   #1805
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
Very little that's spoilerish, IMO. Maybe one or two things he says outright that are things that you follow from the internal logic presented on the show.

I guess the most noteworthy bits are implications about particular people returning in the future.

I didn't think it was all that spoilerish to be honest. I was about ready to do a simple copy/paste then had flashbacks of people getting all mad and such and as I said, to me it was getting late and I didn't want to go to bed to wake up this morning with an uproar in my hands

FM
Old 05-23-2007, 07:31 AM   #1806
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure why people are disappointed that Sylar may be alive (he may have been dragged down below by someone else as well, though). He's an AWESOME super-villain. The show would be far worse without him around, IMO.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:52 AM   #1807
Bee
Pro Starter

I think Sylar has been a great villain, but I also wouldn't mind seeing the show move on to a new storyline next season. Sometimes shows seem to drag things out too long and the Sylar thing is approaching that point for me.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #1808
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
Maybe the only power that Peter can absorb from Sylar is his ability to see how things work. Are we sure Peter got telekinesis from Sylar? If that's the case, Peter may not even know that he has that power. Peter seems to not be aware of powers that he has unless he sees a sign, such as his hands glowing or floating three feet off the ground.

Peter has used his telekinesis, so I am pretty sure he knows about it. In the fight with the guy that could go invisible Peter "caught" the stick he was getting hit with.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #1809
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Peter has only stopped time once. Considering how many problems Hiro himself has had with his power, I think it'd be hard for Peter to master it as well. And so far Peter has only taken telekinesis from Sylar. It is also the only power Sylar has used in front of Peter. So either Peter can only take power which are used in front of him, or Sylar has too many powers inside of him to pluck out a few distinct ones (except telekinesis). Otherwise I think Peter would have taken a few others (such as the ability to find out how things work, so he could learn how to control Sprague's power).

Did Ted ever used is power near peter ? Or Claire during the first fight against Sylar (maybe she was healing, can't remember).
True that in the pilot Peter was only able to fly only when Nathan did it to save him.

From my point of vue it's just bad writing, they did not realize what
they did with this Uber-powerful character, he should have the time stopping ability from Hiro in any case and there it gets easier : stop time, kill Sylar, end of story.
About the fact it's harder for him to master his powers, how much did it took him to master invisibility ? I think it was quite fast.

Again, bad writing nothing more.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #1810
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreizhManu View Post
Did Ted ever used is power near peter ? Or Claire during the first fight against Sylar (maybe she was healing, can't remember).
True that in the pilot Peter was only able to fly only when Nathan did it to save him.

they did with this Uber-powerful character, he should have the time stopping ability from Hiro in any case and there it gets easier : stop time, kill Sylar, end of story.
About the fact it's harder for him to master his powers, how much did it took him to master invisibility ? I think it was quite fast.

I think he ran into Ted a few times, and also was told of his power, so maybe his memory triggered the nuclear ability when he saw Ted. We do know that he wasn't sure how to contain it because he recently "received" that power.

As for Claires power, I think he absorbed it, and inadvertantly used it since he was fataly injured. What happens when you are wounded, your mind begins to think of how it can heal the body or when will the pain go away. This thought process combined with the absorbed power he didn't know he had, made him able to heal.

As for Hiro, I don't recall Hiro and Peter meeting, just Hiro and Nathan. If they did meet, Peter wasn't aware of Hiros ability, at least not to its full extent. And as Claude said, something must trigger it, or he has to remember how to use it, to actually use the power. Since he had no idea Hiro could time travel/teleport, even though he was next to Hiro, he didn't know how to use that power.

Now, if he is still alive, and we are in season 2, I think he would have that ability or at least know now that Hiro can teleport/time travel and maybe he can remember how to use that. Although I am not sure how long or how close he has to be to absorb anothers powers.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #1811
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I thought the finale pretty much sucked. Sylar surviving? Nathan needlessly sacrificing himself? I just saw a lot of lazy writing in this episode. Blech. I'm looking forward to this turning into a complete turd by the middle of season 2.

you miss a lot then. Sylar surviving, if he did at all (perhaps another brain consuming villain who just got a payload - 10+ powers in one guy), is still keeping with earlier episodes when Parkman 1st shot him down, and then Sylar got up and escaped. we don't know all the powers Sylar has. maybe since his power is he knows how things work, he can repair himself, having complete control over his body and inner workings.

Nathan has been selfish and self-centered all season. this is what you call a twist. for a wannabe Bill Simmons who claims to be a movie guru i would expect you to see the significance in he being the one to sacrifice himself. also, on a general storyline level he'd also be the last one you'd expect to help out as he had the most to gain from Peter exploding. and lastly, it also showed that yes, he can only fly, but in the end that wound up being one of the most significant powers in the whole season. not as cool as going nuke or timeshifting, but necessary all the same.

if you don't want to like the show - stop watching. but don't grasp at straws looking for silly reasons to poke holes in it. the end fight between Peter and Sylar wasn't as hyped, knock on that if you want.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #1812
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreizhManu View Post

Well Ted is always a bit radioactive. I'm sure a geiger counter next to him would go nuts (wonder how that affects the guys next to him). Claire, I believed healed a small wound while running from Sylar.

As for the writing. I couldn't imagine the howls if Peter decided to just stop time and Sylar was killed that way with no muss or fuss. Sometimes you have to leave some holes in stories about people with super powers in order for things to work. People can second guess all over the place (and usually they do.. Heroes isn't the first sci-fi to gain such in depth criticism over how it did something).

Invisibility may be much easier to master than mastering time.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #1813
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Invisibility may be much easier to master than mastering time.

Hiro looks like he needs an awful lot of concentration/focus to use it.

important thing to note is Peter is just a regular, normal guy who has a lot of powers. if i aquired all of these abilities in the span of a month i could probably know how to use them individually, but i don't get people expecting Peter to know how to pull off these long chains of combos using 2, 3 or more powers in a row. Future Peter looked like he had that ability, but he obviously looked more experienced with his powers.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #1814
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
Hiro looks like he needs an awful lot of concentration/focus to use it.

important thing to note is Peter is just a regular, normal guy who has a lot of powers. if i aquired all of these abilities in the span of a month i could probably know how to use them individually, but i don't get people expecting Peter to know how to pull off these long chains of combos using 2, 3 or more powers in a row. Future Peter looked like he had that ability, but he obviously looked more experienced with his powers.

Good points. Peter does or should have a ton of powers that he doesn't even know about, so he doesn't know how to trigger them. For instance, he should have that Super Hearing and the Freezing ability and the melting ability from Sylar. Also, Nikki/Jessica just got near him, so he should have super strength (which I think he used on Sylar when he punched him fueled by anger).

Problem is, is that if he is still alive, I will bet to keep his character not so super powerful, that if he regenerates from the Nuclear explosion, he probably has lost all knowledge of those powers. Just my guess though.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #1815
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
As for Hiro, I don't recall Hiro and Peter meeting, just Hiro and Nathan. If they did meet, Peter wasn't aware of Hiros ability, at least not to its full extent.

Other timeline Hiro, in the subway "Save the cheerleader, save the world". I think he was fully aware Hiro could stop time, maybe not the travel to time but at least the stopping part.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #1816
Travis
Pro Rookie

Really, all I'm saying in the end is that I hope they tighten up the writing in future seasons. There is just too much currently open to debate and I highly doubt it's because they've done it with that goal in mind. There seems to be a lot of uber powers going around and by the end of the season they wrote themselves into a lot of corners where there should have been simpler ways out which weren't taken because of dramatic effect.

Discussion about things like this are great, but base "rules" don't seem to have even been established by the writer's, or if they have, they're certainly not sharing them yet, or even worse, they're varying from character to character or just in flux as they try to get around powers they've previously made available.

Still, one of the best shows on TV and I'll be getting the DVD's in August for sure. Based on how well they did the support pieces (online experience and graphic novels) I'm expecting the features on the DVD set to be very interesting.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #1817
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
all I'm saying in the end is that I hope they tighten up the writing in future seasons

You are talking about a TV show. Don't get your hopes up. This is likely the tighest the writing is going to be.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #1818
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
You are talking about a TV show. Don't get your hopes up. This is likely the tighest the writing is going to be.

Sadly, that is what I figure too. My only *real* hope was that they close this chapter/characters and move onto a different focus/cast in season two and learn from some of the moves they made this year. It's also a reason I don't watch a lot of tv other than sporting events.

Ah well, fingers crossed. If it at least maintains it's current level, I'll be happy enough to keep watching.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #1819
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

and you guys are lucky you never had to suffer through French Canadian TV. Now you would really appreciate what a show like Heroes gives you.

FM
Old 06-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #1820
Celeval
Pro Starter

In case anyone is unaware, they're continuing with the comics on the website over the summer. There's been a number since the season finale; and the current story (3rd of 4 is posted in the morning, I think) is some backstory of the Haitian.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #1821
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Good info!! I didn't even realize!

(gotta read 'em now!)
Old 09-24-2007, 08:36 AM   #1822
Izulde
Head Coach

Season 2 starts tonight!!!!!

I won't be able to watch it until tomorrow obviously online, but I wanted to bump this thread.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #1823
Celeval
Pro Starter

Hugely looking forward to this.

Should there be a Season 2 thread?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #1824
Celeval
Pro Starter

FWIW, has anyone else been reading the online comics over the summer? Are Season 1 + summer comics considered non-spoilers yet?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #1825
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
FWIW, has anyone else been reading the online comics over the summer? Are Season 1 + summer comics considered non-spoilers yet?

Thanks for reminding me, I need to go back and read season 1 comics! I can't wait for tonight.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:34 AM   #1826
spleen1015
Coordinator

Fine. Bitches.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #1827
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I'm so glad the show is finally back, but did the season premiere really have to be the same night as the saints MNF game. Thank god for DVR.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #1828
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
I'm so glad the show is finally back, but did the season premiere really have to be the same night as the saints MNF game. Thank god for DVR.

Amen to that. Rarely do I get to see the Saints play up here unless I go to a bar because I don't have direct tv.

Perfect Night=Good episode and a Saints thrashing of the Titans.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #1829
Anthony
Banned

did i hear correctly that tonite's episode will have reduced commercials and will be 2 hours?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #1830
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
did i hear correctly that tonite's episode will have reduced commercials and will be 2 hours?

Yes and No. Nissan is sponsoring the reduced commercials which usually means something like the first 30 minutes uninterupted then normal commercial breaks the last 30 minutes or so. I don't think its 2 hours though because NBC is also debuting journeyman tonight at 10pm EST
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:53 AM   #1831
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess with the popularity of Zombies on TV, NBC is bringing this back from the dead in 2015
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:23 AM   #1832
Thomkal
Head Coach

NBC Announces Heroes Reborn Miniseries for 2015 Premiere and Releases Teaser Trailer - IGN
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #1833
Autumn
Head Coach

A surprise, but one that make sense for NBC. As someone who loved the first season and then stopped watching sometime in the second or third, a restart is something that I might watch to see if they can get back to the original level of writing. It will all depend on that, and how much the producers monkey around with it.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #1834
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

If they start from where they finished and make it about them being heroes, it has a much better chance.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #1835
chadritt
High School Varsity

The success of American Horror Story and True Detective may have finally convinced them that the original plan, changing casts every season, was the correct one. I assume thats their new plan.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote