Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #1801
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

So WarGame European Escalation/AirLand sucks right? But I mean - sucks like AirLand isn't worth 9.99? Is European Escalation worth 1.99?

LOL
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #1802
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Another suggestion: Puzzle Quest. My daughter, who loved Portal and is currently enjoying Scribblenauts, went nuts over this one, and actually picked it back up again recently.

Puzzle Quest was fantastic, if shady (I swear, the AI cheats). Puzzle Quest 2 was still good, but...different.

Marvel Puzzle Quest is a naked cash grab, but if you're okay with playing it like a casual game, a round here and there, it's enjoyable.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #1803
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Finally. I set my older daughter up with a Steam account so she could play Scribblenauts as a birthday present back in November. I knew that she likes puzzle games like Portal (though she hates the more violent levels like the ones with the turrets), so I'd been waiting for the Portal two-pack to go on sale and it finally did today. Now we'll have a chance to do the two-player levels on Portal 2 at some point.

I've also been curious about a game called Violett. Anyone play this one? Daughter would probably enjoy a puzzle game with a girl protagonist, so I'm eyeing this one in case it goes on deep discount between now and the end. Failing that, are there other games in a similar vein I should look at? She's not interested in FPS type games.

I picked up Stacking during the Holiday Sale. It's a fun puzzle/collecting game with a stacking Russian dolls theme with each character having a special ability. It's been fun in the half hour I've put in.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #1804
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Hey does anyone know how far along Prison Architect is? I'm tempted but I'd rather wait if it's only lets say a quarter done.

I've had it for a few months. It's well worth it for $14.99. They're doing a great job of providing monthly updates and each one seems to add a nice game feature/riot.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #1805
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I've had it for a few months. It's well worth it for $14.99. They're doing a great job of providing monthly updates and each one seems to add a nice game feature/riot.
Thx for the info Mizz. My steam gift card is telling me to buy.
frnk55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #1807
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

As long as we're talking about Early Access games that are worth it, Godus is available for $9.99 today. Created by the Populous series developer. I've had a lot of fun with it as well and they're making great progress on it.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #1808
PilotMan
Head Coach

My holiday haul so far

Endless Space Gold
Gone Home
OOTP 14
Don't Starve
Assassins Creed 1 & 2
Bioshock Infinite
The Bureau: X-Com Declassified
FM 2014

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #1809
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I just realized that Steam lets you put games on multiple hard drives now from the client. Last time I checked, probably last Holiday sell, it was a pain in the ass process that involved 3rd party applications.

EDIT: Relevant for me since Steam is installed to my 120gb SSD rather than my 2tb internal hard drive. I like to play my bigger MMOs and RPGs on the SSD, but Steam required me to install all my games there. Change means I can have way more games installed since it will pick up the games on the other hard drive now without 3rd party utilities required.

Last edited by dubb93 : 12-28-2013 at 05:06 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #1810
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Picked up the Victoria 2 bundle from Steam, however it won't install. DL/d and checked the cache file numerous times.

The really odd part is I check the cache immediately after DLing the main files and Steam reports a problem, re DLs a bit, then crashes exactly the same way.

Steam says to contact Paradox, Paradox has yet to respond, so I want a full refund and won't even consider Paradox for future purchases.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #1811
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Picked up the Victoria 2 bundle from Steam, however it won't install. DL/d and checked the cache file numerous times.

The really odd part is I check the cache immediately after DLing the main files and Steam reports a problem, re DLs a bit, then crashes exactly the same way.

Steam says to contact Paradox, Paradox has yet to respond, so I want a full refund and won't even consider Paradox for future purchases.

Because they've yet to respond over a holiday weekend?

Relax - give them ya know...a business day to get back to you.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #1812
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I missed the first day, were Fallout 3/New Vegas on a deep discount that day? Those are basically the only other games I have interest in during this sale.

New Vegas $2.49 or $6.79 for Ultimate Edition.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #1813
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post

If it is the same issue I was having then go into the steamapps\common\Victoria2\map folder and delete the cache folder in there.

My errror was "File exceptions from ... line 624" something like that.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #1814
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
New Vegas $2.49 or $6.79 for Ultimate Edition.

Is New Vegas a standalone? I have regular fallout 3 for the PS3. Would I be missing anything in grabbing the PC New Vegas?
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #1815
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'm grabbing M&M VI for 10 bucks complete with all of the goodies.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #1816
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Is New Vegas a standalone? I have regular fallout 3 for the PS3. Would I be missing anything in grabbing the PC New Vegas?

New Vegas is a standalone.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #1817
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Grab the Ultimate. You'll get all the DLC and hundreds of hours of fun.
frnk55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #1818
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Grab the Ultimate. You'll get all the DLC and hundreds of hours of fun.

This is one of those situations where I think tens of hours of fun is plenty for under $3. I don't have time for hundreds of hours unless you're talking FM or Civ.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #1819
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm playing New Vegas now and like it quite a bit more than Fallout 3
Old 12-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #1820
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I'm playing New Vegas now and like it quite a bit more than Fallout 3

I agree on New Vegas being better. I'll take writing from Obsidian over Bethesda (and just about anyone else) in an RPG any day.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #1821
Blackadar
Retired

I never liked NV. I played it for 60 hours, but I thought the game was quite poor compared to FO3.

- The factions were so absurd it defied belief (Caesar's Legion in particular was just stupid) and I couldn't have given a shit about the robots or the NCR either. All 3 choices were uninspired and by doing so it just killed the main story for me. I wished I had Tenpenny's nuke and could just drop it on Hoover Dam to kill 'em all.
- I never thought the writing was appreciably better than FO3. Maybe it was, but I didn't notice it.
- I never liked any of the NPCs (at least FO3 had ThreeDog). None of 'em. Not a one. Plus they all suck at combat (a common Bethesda problem), so I finally just ditched them all.
- The world was artificially closed off with monsters that couldn't be killed until much later. FO3 had such areas, but they were much further in - in NV, if you head North from the beginning area, you're dead instantly. Then you go down the road a bit to find...more deathclaws blocking your way. Can't go that way either. There's even one in the mountain pass that should be the "easy" area just because Obsidian decided to say "fuck you". I like to explore and I felt horribly constricted in NV. It also helped in FO3 that I know DC well and it was great seeing how they put it together in a FO game.
- Some of the Vaults in NV were horrible mazes and didn't seem realistic. One in particular (maybe it was irradiated) was about smash-the-monitor aggravating.
- The Cazadors were worse than Morrowind Cliff Racers. DO...NOT...WANT.
- I really struggled to find a weapon I liked. I remember it being a LONG time before I found a decent long-range rifle/sniper rifle that I could rely on. I like playing these games as a sneaky sniper and NV just wouldn't let me do it for a long damn time.
- I also remember running into a bunch of script-breaking bugs. I had a couple in FO3, but the ones in NV stood out more.
- NV itself was disappointing. I understand there's a mod that recombines the city the way it was supposed to be presented, but that wasn't around when I played.

I played through the game, but I really couldn't get to the end fast enough. In contrast, I replayed FO3 with all the DLC and had a great time. But I tried to do the same with NV and couldn't make it more than 5 hours or so.

Last edited by Blackadar : 12-29-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #1822
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Because they've yet to respond over a holiday weekend?

Relax - give them ya know...a business day to get back to you.

bought it Thursday. Still no response.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 12-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #1823
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
If it is the same issue I was having then go into the steamapps\common\Victoria2\map folder and delete the cache folder in there.

I'll give that a try when I get back from work.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #1824
Tasan
College Starter

KSP is 40% off today.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #1825
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

Thanks, that worked. Still waiting for Paradox reply, though.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #1826
WSR
Mascot

Have any of you been able to log on to Steam this evening? It appears to be down and I was hoping to grab YNAB before the sale ends tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #1827
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Nope - I just checked and I'm getting an error code 118.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:21 AM   #1828
WSR
Mascot

Thanks for verifying that for me.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #1829
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

up now
Old 01-03-2014, 01:04 AM   #1830
SackAttack
Head Coach

It's been up and down like a two-bit hooker all night. Chat has been sporadic at best and good luck accessing the store.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:18 AM   #1831
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the cause of the Steam problems is a DDOS attack that's moved on to Battle.Net.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #1832
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And the Kiddie in question is at it again.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #1833
Thomkal
Head Coach

My final Steam Holiday Sale Haul:

Deus Ex, HammerWatch, and Magic:The Gathering 2014. Something like $10-$15 total. I was a good boy this year and didn't spend too much
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #1834
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I got Heroes of Might&Magic VI, Fallout 3: New Vegas and X-Com: Enemy Within.

I also got hit by a nostalgia craving and grabbed Age of Empires II HD.

There's also Lego Marvel ($12) and Rogue Legacy ($5) still tempting me though.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #1835
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Holy crap! I didn;t notice that my Startopia has been rereleased. I have a seriously mad-on for that game!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #1836
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

UFO: Afterlight. Anyone know anything about it? Is it an XCOM clone?
Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #1837
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
UFO: Afterlight. Anyone know anything about it? Is it an XCOM clone?

Yes, but not one of the good clones. The best clone, in my mind, is UFO Extraterrestrials Gold edition.

UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold on Steam

Old 01-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #1838
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Basketball Pro Management 2014. That game didn't even get Greenlit. How does that even happen?
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #1839
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My turn to whine about cloud saves. Typical way to handle this would be save local, and synch with the cloud when possible. But no, Arkham Asylum errors out every time it loses connection to Steam, apparently because it saves all the time. Instead of continuing and letting the cloud update happen when possible, Arkham Asylum returns me to the Press Start screen. Sigh.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #1840
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I still get the error code 118 message when going to the store.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #1841
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
My turn to whine about cloud saves. Typical way to handle this would be save local, and synch with the cloud when possible. But no, Arkham Asylum errors out every time it loses connection to Steam, apparently because it saves all the time. Instead of continuing and letting the cloud update happen when possible, Arkham Asylum returns me to the Press Start screen. Sigh.

I'm more hacked off that after having finished AA a couple months back, Steam suddenly took ownership of everything from Windows Live and wiped out all my save games, unlocks, and achievements. I know there are a couple of converters out there, but I can't get them to work without the game crashing.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:30 PM   #1842
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Guess there is something to be said about playing games offline.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #1843
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Basketball Pro Management 2014. That game didn't even get Greenlit. How does that even happen?

Reading the reviews on Steam this game sounds like a train wreck.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:03 AM   #1844
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I wish the good text sims (the TEW's, WMMA's, FBB/FBCB, FOF, etcetera) would get on steam. It's just a pain to try to remember licenses, and deal with outside companies.

Instead we get crap like BPM14
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #1845
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I still get the error code 118 message when going to the store.

Depending on the time frame, you can thank this "skript kitty" for it.

chF (chFtheCat) on Twitter
Old 01-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #1846
Schmidty
Coordinator

Anyone have a recommendation for a really good horror game on PC? I loved The Undying from back in the day, so something like that would be awesome.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #1847
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Starbound.. any more thoughts/impressions?

For $15 (early beta) I'm getting close to making that my next purchase.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #1848
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Anyone have a recommendation for a really good horror game on PC? I loved The Undying from back in the day, so something like that would be awesome.

Amnesia 1 and 2 along with Outlast.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:16 AM   #1849
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Amnesia 1 and 2 along with Outlast.

Yeah, I ended up buying Amnesia 1. It looks scary as hell.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #1850
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Yes, but not one of the good clones. The best clone, in my mind, is UFO Extraterrestrials Gold edition.

UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold on Steam

I don't know if I've ever seen a game with such polarizing reviews - some say it's trash, it even has a 100 rating from one reviewer. Is it really worth playing (bearing in mind you can get Apocalypse from Steam or GOG if you really want)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote