Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2010, 11:50 PM   #1801
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I'll have to watch it again but I didn't think he was defending anything for a while.

He had his arms up blocking a lot of the shots and kept moving his lower body...trust me, I kept expecting the ref to stop the fight a few times when he stopped moving and just took the punches and elbows, but then he started moving again...
Old 07-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #1802
PilotMan
Head Coach

I actually think that Cain is a much bigger threat to Lesnar than Carwin was. He is young and strong, a good wrestler, great standup and his cardio is non-stop. Lesnar's chin is still suspect, IMO. He is very susceptible to the heavy straight punches. Already looking forward to it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #1803
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
dola: I forgot about the Bonnar fight, would make that one the KO of the night, though the Harris one was very nice too (haven't heard FOTN or KOTN though... any ideas?)

I think KOTN should be Harris and FOTN should be Leben/Sexyama.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:08 AM   #1804
Recoil
High School Varsity

I knew Dana would award Brock with either FOTN/SOTN. I guess it makes sense. Put more money in the pocket of your most profitable fighter and make him happy.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #1805
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i lost money on it but that's fine. the first round went exactly as i thought it would except for the part where lesnar didn't go out.

it's better for the sport to have a juggernaut.

great fight.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #1806
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Harris KOTN, and the Bonnar fight and Sexyama/Leben both got FOTN.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #1808
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
He had his arms up blocking a lot of the shots and kept moving his lower body...trust me, I kept expecting the ref to stop the fight a few times when he stopped moving and just took the punches and elbows, but then he started moving again...

It looked like he was close to jumping in twice, but Brock did just enough. Plus when he covered up his friggin forearms are so big there was no place to land a shot.

I will give it to Lesnar, he proved he is legit tonight and can come back after getting caught. His chin was the big question that remained about him and he answered it decisively, one tough SOB.

He needs to work on his standup for Velasquez. Cain has probably the best stand up in the HW division and is a solid Wrestler, but I still see Brock overpowering him quite easily if he doesn't get caught. Carwin is the only guy in UFC that is close to Lesnar in terms of strength.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #1809
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

While Lesnar had a year off, he had a year to learn more MMA too. I think the submission was a part of that.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #1810
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Chris Leben with the Fight of the night! that is one hell of a 2 week span!

Seriously. This guy has vaulted to my favorite fighter with these performances.

And this is the best PPV i can ever remember. All good fights. Actually worth the money!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #1811
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
While Lesnar had a year off, he had a year to learn more MMA too. I think the submission was a part of that.

Agreed, the "old" Lesnar would have tried to pound Carwin out from full mount, but he made a smooth transition into the Arm triangle, it was really quite impressive.

Leben and Bonnar are both warriors, it was a solid even from top to bottom.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #1812
saldana
Pro Starter

who was the ref for the lesnar fight...i missed the actual card but just off the ESPN clips was surprised that there wasnt a stoppage.

i am gonna guess Yves Lavigne.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #1813
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Josh Rosenthal
Old 07-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #1814
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Herb Dean I believe, can't remember to be honest...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #1815
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: Okay, I'm wrong... no real surprise there...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #1816
Dutch
"Dutch"

UFC 116 was pretty awesome. I still can't stand Brock Lesnar, but he's a lot of fun to watch.

Loved the Leben/Akiyama slugfest! Great stuff.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #1817
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Dana White was pissed before the fight that Rosenthal got the main event, then apologized after words saying he did a great job.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #1818
Flasch186
Coordinator

I think Rosenthal is one of the best refs they have, along with Herb. Yves is the worst.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #1819
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I think Rosenthal is one of the best refs they have, along with Herb. Yves is the worst.

Agreed
Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #1821
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Pretty sure it was Mazzagoti who got the fight and Dana petitioned the commission to get him removed due to Steve being known for stopping fights way too soon.

I heard the rumor that both camps submitted this petition prior to the event to make sure he didn't get the main event. However it came about it worked out well for Brock because if Maz had gotten we would be talking about who Lesnar got exposed instead of how tough he was to survive that onslaught. (Granted his stand up still got exposed, but it gives him something wo work on)
Old 07-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #1822
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Brock vs Cain is being targeted for 119. Really quick turnaround for Brock, but I think it'd be good for him.

Would love to see a stacked show at 119 with Rampage/Lil Nog co-maining.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #1823
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, I was looking and man the HW division is a mess now.

At the top it's clean, with Brock vs Cain and JDS vs Nelson, but then what?

Cro Cop says he'll take three more fights but doesn't want to fight for the title.

Carwin needs someone to fight next. I'd give him Rothwell since he's at least coming off of a win.

Kongo has Travis Browne. Browne could become a contender but if he loses he's not ever getting a shot.

Mir is contemplating a drop to 205. Nog has no business at this point fighting anyone but a guy like Cro Cop.

Schuab is impressive so far but he is at least 4-5 fights away from a title shot.

So assuming Brock wins his next two fights, he'll most likely get Carwin again and then who knows? Obviously the logical choices are Overeem, Werdum or Big Foot Silva. You figure Dana should be able to get one of them within the next year but I'd say it mot likely is not Overeem.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #1824
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

If Rampage fights Nog and Lesnar fights Cain in Indy I might have a heart attack as I have planned on going to that card since it was announced.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #1825
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Man, i only now just saw the prelim fights from saturday night. That had to be, by a wide margin, the best slate of UFC fights I have ever seen. Every one of them was at least 'good' and most were great.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #1827
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Ok, then 'in my opinion.'
Old 07-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #1829
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Easily the most enjoyable UFC card in a while. No stinkers, everyone fought hard, surprising technique from Lesnar, amazing toughness by Leben, etc. I'm usually more of a WEC fan due to the typically very good or better cards but I still watch and enjoy UFC and this was there best card, from an entertainment perspective, in a good while.

Yeah this one will be impossible to top with Silva headlining the next card. Unless of course he actually fights the way he is capable of....

Dana should have given Silva's next fight for free...
Old 07-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #1830
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Here is a really nice article on Chris Leben and all that hes gone through.

Leben's rise from the ashes complete with UFC 116 win - Cagewriter - UFC* - Yahoo! Sports
Old 07-06-2010, 06:21 AM   #1831
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Dana should have given Silva's next fight for free...

heh...what I really want is for him to going back to being a badass. He is amazing to watch when he's serious. But yeah, his ability to clown around is overshadowed by his real talent and not worth actual money.

Last edited by Dutch : 07-06-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #1832
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I can't wait for his reflexes to slow down a LIIIIIIIIIITLE bit with age and all of a sudden his showboating will bite him in the ass. I'll cheer that time when he gets caught with his hands down and gets knocked out cold.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #1833
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Catching Silva replays on UFC Unleashed recently, it's funny to contrast his image then vs. now. Fast finisher, professional humble guy, and fan favorite.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #1834
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Catching Silva replays on UFC Unleashed recently, it's funny to contrast his image then vs. now. Fast finisher, professional humble guy, and fan favorite.

That's what is so mystifying, he was amazing, fast, powerful and focused......Then it's like he went to Floyd Mayweathers for a weekend sleep over and left monday morning a showboating Ass Clown.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #1835
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am amazed at all the Chael Sonnen hate. Not here but elsewhere. I love Sonnen. Dude talks shit, so what? It's funny that people hate Sonnen for saying all the shit people have been saying about him the last year. I would love to see Anderson come out and kill him, but if Sonnen were to win I'd be ecstatic.

Let's be honest, outside of Vitor, nothing is left for Anderson at 185. If Bisping/Vitor happens at 120 and Bisping somehow wins, I'd love to see Anderson kill him, but then what?

Anderson vs GSP would be great, but Anderson at 205 is what he needs and what the UFC needs because there he would have to be able to finish some fights.

But with all that said, I hope the Fightin' Republican fucking wins because it'll be amazing watch some fan boys blow their brains out.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #1836
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just read that Dana has ruled out Brock vs Cain at 119. I was skeptical it'd have happened then but it would have been awesome. I figure 119 will be Rampage vs Nog or Forrest vs Machida. Truthfully it should be both fights and then the winners fight for the next shot after Rashad.

If it isn't that, then I can possibly see an interim title fight with Rashad vs someone, though at this point who even deserves that shot at 205? I love Machida but he needs a couple wins before he goes back to fighting for a belt.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #1837
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Yea I thought it was too soon for Brock @ 119. but I wonder whats next in line? 120-121 are both expected to be in Europe (England, Germany), so that would be interesting . I've heard a lot of fighters don't like fighting in the overseas cards at least.

not sure about 122 or 123 and when they are scheduled , or also where for that matter.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 07-07-2010 at 01:43 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #1838
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Also looking ahead at UFC 117 and 118.

117 is in a month, and does look kinda interesting

Although I think Silva will clean up his act and demolish Sonnen, should still be fun to watch imo.

def looking forward to Fitch vs Alves, I think it will be solid
Guida is fighting Dos Anjos, and I love watching Clay fight so thats cool.
another Matt Hughes (vs Almeida) fight to see if he can keep his career going in the right direction and extend the winning streak to 3 in a row.
and then we have fat fuck Roy "Douche" Nelson and Junior Dos Santos (whom I hope beats the shit literally out of Roy)

Can't go wrong with Thiago Silva, Ben Saunders, Dustin Hazelett and Stefan Struve all on the under card/prelims also

then 118 at the end of August we have BJ trying to get his belt back, which I think he will and get back on track. Always a good time when BJ fights though.

the rest of the card is kinda meh though imho.

Couture vs James Toney yea right. Although I guess the boxing guys might tune in though. The ones who think mma copied boxing and want there boy to win.

Marquardt vs Palhares meh

Florian vs Grey Maynard - this I like, a lot actually. Maynard undefeated and Florian only has the Penn loss in his last 8? or 9 fights.

Then Nate Diaz vs Marcus Davis . Meh again, might be ok to watch Marcus I guess.

Thats pretty much it. -

Thoughts?

Last edited by k0ruptr : 07-07-2010 at 01:57 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #1839
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Also looking ahead at UFC 117 and 118.

117 is in a month, and does look kinda interesting

Although I think Silva will clean up his act and demolish Sonnen, should still be fun to watch imo.

def looking forward to Fitch vs Alves, I think it will be solid
Guida is fighting Dos Anjos, and I love watching Clay fight so thats cool.
another Matt Hughes (vs Almeida) fight to see if he can keep his career going in the right direction and extend the winning streak to 3 in a row.
and then we have fat fuck Roy "Douche" Nelson and Junior Dos Santos (whom I hope beats the shit literally out of Roy)

Can't go wrong with Thiago Silva, Ben Saunders, Dustin Hazelett and Stefan Struve all on the under card/prelims also

then 118 at the end of August we have BJ trying to get his belt back, which I think he will and get back on track. Always a good time when BJ fights though.

the rest of the card is kinda meh though imho.

Couture vs James Toney yea right. Although I guess the boxing guys might tune in though. The ones who think mma copied boxing and want there boy to win.

Marquardt vs Palhares meh

Florian vs Grey Maynard - this I like, a lot actually. Maynard undefeated and Florian only has the Penn loss in his last 8? or 9 fights.

Then Nate Diaz vs Marcus Davis . Meh again, might be ok to watch Marcus I guess.

Thats pretty much it. -

Thoughts?

I am looking forward to both cards. I think each has quite a few intriguing match ups. Plus don't forget about UFC on Versus 2. I can't wait to see Bones Jones kill the Janitor.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #1840
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Yea I thought it was too soon for Brock @ 119. but I wonder whats next in line? 120-121 are both expected to be in Europe (England, Germany), so that would be interesting . I've heard a lot of fighters don't like fighting in the overseas cards at least.

not sure about 122 or 123 and when they are scheduled , or also where for that matter.

I think Brock/Cain will be on the year end show. I can't see any possible way they put Brock/Cain overseas since there will be spoilers around all day.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #1841
FF
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I am amazed at all the Chael Sonnen hate. Not here but elsewhere. I love Sonnen. Dude talks shit, so what? It's funny that people hate Sonnen for saying all the shit people have been saying about him the last year. I would love to see Anderson come out and kill him, but if Sonnen were to win I'd be ecstatic.

Let's be honest, outside of Vitor, nothing is left for Anderson at 185. If Bisping/Vitor happens at 120 and Bisping somehow wins, I'd love to see Anderson kill him, but then what?

Anderson vs GSP would be great, but Anderson at 205 is what he needs and what the UFC needs because there he would have to be able to finish some fights.

But with all that said, I hope the Fightin' Republican fucking wins because it'll be amazing watch some fan boys blow their brains out.

oh, i dont know, him coming off as a racist bigot to some people might have something to do with it.

most people wouldnt get away with calling groups of people demon worshipping savages but with chael? hes just talking shit, obvi
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #1842
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Lil Nog vs Bader announced as Co-Main of 119.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #1843
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Looks like 119 is gonna' be the Nog show. Big Nog vs Mir is set to be the Main Event. Should be solid fights but I don't see it doing a lot of buys.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #1844
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sexyama vs Bisping at 120.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #1845
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Sexyama vs Bisping at 120.

I think this is a good fight for Bisping. He should destroy the under-powered Sexyama.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #1846
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I think this is a good fight for Bisping. He should destroy the under-powered Sexyama.

Really? My impression of Bisping would be slightly less power and a slightly weaker chin than Leben (with better technique and precision), but admittedly I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I also think Leben showed a lot of great work to save himself off his back in the last fight (obviously), and that's again not what I think of as Bisping's strength. I thought Akiyama showed a pretty decent chin too, if he did come off a little under-powered.

That said, it does seem like a pretty good matchup for Bisping to keep toward re-building his rep, but I think he's shown just as many chinks in the armor in his few recent losses as Akiyama did in his last fight.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-10-2010 at 01:36 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:00 AM   #1847
Dutch
"Dutch"

I think that Bisping can take Akiyama's punches and Bisping has that insane drive that can pummel weaker opponents. I think Bisping's confidence will be very high and that plays to his strenghts. If it goes longer than one round, I think Akiyama's cardio is poor which plays into Bisping's killer instict as well.

So basically, if Sexyama wins this, I think he does it early, the longer it goes on, I think, like the Leben fight, it moves towards Bisping's favor.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #1849
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm strictly talking about fighting styles and apparent strengths and weaknesses. Yes, the UFC love-fest for Bisping could influence a decision, but I don't care about decisions. Fighters are supposed to finish!
Old 07-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #1850
TLK
Pro Starter

Any interest in an MMA picks type thing here?
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote