Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2019, 05:55 PM   #18701
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Meanwhile, the top story on FoxNews.com is the Obamas' trademark dispute with an e-book publisher.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-04-2019 at 05:56 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #18702
Atocep
Coordinator

Below is a list of construction projects that were cut from military installations to build the wall. The plan appears to be to take the money now and then go back to congress at some point in the future to ask for the money back so they can complete these projects.

Alex Moe on Twitter: "Just In: The military construction projects the Department of Defense is cutting from – totaling $3.6 billion – that will be diverted to the US-Mexico border… https://t.co/HEq0q4lzYB"
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:38 PM   #18703
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Below is a list of construction projects that were cut from military installations to build the wall. The plan appears to be to take the money now and then go back to congress at some point in the future to ask for the money back so they can complete these projects.

Alex Moe on Twitter: "Just In: The military construction projects the Department of Defense is cutting from – totaling $3.6 billion – that will be diverted to the US-Mexico border… https://t.co/HEq0q4lzYB"

Well in the military 3.6 billion dollars is about the cost of a bowling alley.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #18704
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

That’s actually a pretty smart move politically. Take the money from a popular project, ask for it back later, and then blame the person voting against the popular thing.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:04 PM   #18705
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
That’s actually a pretty smart move politically. Take the money from a popular project, ask for it back later, and then blame the person voting against the popular thing.

Definitely brilliant strategy.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:15 PM   #18706
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

It may end up backfiring. It will end up in front of the Supreme Court, which trump has stacked with pro-congressional powers justices, and may result in a clearer definition of the president's emergency powers over funding.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #18707
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Eh I just think he repeated the wrong thing. A normal human would have just clarified that it was a mistake and made sure the proper information was out there. But he can't admit to ever making a mistake so we have to go through this whole weird charade.

I think that was true initially, but he has a history of making people bend to his "truth."
Old 09-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #18708
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Good for him in getting a small win here.

I know, I know, he could have gotten a lot more if he had been willing to deal (and he didn't get Mexico to pay for it) but we are where we are, so happy for some movement here.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #18709
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Good for him in getting a small win here.

I know, I know, he could have gotten a lot more if he had been willing to deal (and he didn't get Mexico to pay for it) but we are where we are, so happy for some movement here.

looking at where he started it is absolutely laughable to call this a win.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #18710
thesloppy
Pro Starter

"We're gonna build half a wall, and the military is going to pay for it"
Old 09-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #18711
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

Liberals always did want less spending on the military, so win-win!
Old 09-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #18712
Atocep
Coordinator

But kneeling really was about disrespecting the military.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:29 PM   #18713
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

$6B for a nuclear submarine. $12B for an aircraft carrier. Plenty to go around.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:37 PM   #18714
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Except we'll never take money away from the development of things like that because it enriches the businesses that administration officials jump into.

Instead it means no new barracks for soldiers, no new elementary schools for military children, along with other infrastructure projects being canceled. We're not taking away tanks and planes. We're taking desperately needed things away from soldiers and their families for a wall on the border that's effectiveness is at best questionable.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:38 PM   #18715
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
But kneeling really was about disrespecting the military.

Nah, it was just about a really rich, spoil athlete trying to make a point at a stage that didn't belong to him when he could really have spent his millions helping those he profess to stand up for.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #18716
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

You're certainly not going to get any argument from me there, but it does seem like we've shattered another pane of the looking glass when conservatives are willing to paint back-door cuts to defense spending as some kind of significant win for the Republican agenda.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-04-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #18717
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
when he could really have spent his millions helping those he profess to stand up for.

He has
Old 09-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #18718
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
You're certainly not going to get any argument from me there, but it does seem like we've shattered another pane of the looking glass when conservatives are willing to paint back-door cuts to defense spending as some kind of significant win for the Republican agenda.

I don't dispute many Trumpers (vs traditional Republicans) think this is a significant win. I'm thinking its a small win, baby steps in the right direction.

I do wish he had focused more on the Wall in his first couple years vs trying to tear down Obamacare and tax cuts. Many presidents do tax cuts, only one would have built a Wall.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #18719
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Nah, it was just about a really rich, spoil athlete trying to make a point at a stage that didn't belong to him when he could really have spent his millions helping those he profess to stand up for.

Holy shit.

Talk about hitting all the breitbart talking points.

I thought it was about a biracial Christian, who leveraged his status to lift up a group that has been racially targeted, in an effort to raise awareness and question our ability to do a better job?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 09-04-2019 at 09:51 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #18720
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
He has

Before or after the backlash?
Old 09-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #18721
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Holy shit.

Talk about hitting all the breitbart talking points.

I thought it was about a biracial Christian, who leveraged his status to lift up a group that has been racially targeted, in an effort to raise awareness and question our ability to do a better job?

Nah, sticking to the rich, spoil athlete tag. I'd toss in wine sipping, west coast liberal elites in there somewhere also.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:58 PM   #18722
PilotMan
Head Coach

Ahhh lets see what did dumbass do this week?

Oh yeah, he congratulated Poland on their great start in WW2, 80 years ago.

When asked about FARC calling for the end of the peace deal in Columbia that ended the longest war in Latin America, he asked if it was Columbia they were asking about, then said that Columbia was doing great, except for Venezuela, and that we have great relations with Columbia.

From the Post article;

Quote:
"There are a myriad of examples of trump being asked about what's happening around the world and offering very nonspecific answers. Generally, this will involve 1) congratulating them, 2) talking about how well they are doing, and/or 3) offering a nonspecific talking point about something that has happened in the country (which may or may not pertain to the subject he was asked about, as was the case here with Columbia).

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #18723
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

They'll eliminate every benefit armed service members have before they take a dime away from a defense contractor.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:45 AM   #18724
RendeR
Coordinator

Military Benefits has become a real punchline.

its a fucking joke in todays military.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:45 AM   #18725
RendeR
Coordinator

DOLA: Hell it was a fucking Joke in MY military 30 years ago....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:24 AM   #18726
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

There's a disconnect there somewhere, and I'm curious where it is. Every single ex-military person I know has gotten lots of help from the military with their benefits, and I don't know a single one who isn't happy. I know this really isn't the case across the board, but the question I have is why is there the gap? Why are so many being treated well, and so many others not?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:59 AM   #18727
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
There's a disconnect there somewhere, and I'm curious where it is. Every single ex-military person I know has gotten lots of help from the military with their benefits, and I don't know a single one who isn't happy. I know this really isn't the case across the board, but the question I have is why is there the gap? Why are so many being treated well, and so many others not?

I think it depends on the categories of "ex-military" you are dealing with. A few simple ones.

1. Retirees vs Non-Retirees
2. Those who were in combat vs. those who were not in combat.
3. Those who have had access to those benefits vs. those who have not.

That last one alone can drag you into a myriad of directions and includes benefits while the vet was in the military.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #18728
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Of all the insanity in this Presidency, the Alabama hurricane foolishness is certainly one of the more inane "controversies," but in another way, it truly captures who he is in a nutshell. If he'd just said "oops..got that wrong" or had said nothing else about it, it would have gone away in less than 12 hours. Instead, he apparently CANNOT let this go.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #18729
Ben E Lou

Dola:

This has gone beyond comical to being truly sad. Something is broken in this man.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-05-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #18730
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I agree, Ben.

It is the least consequential mistake possible.

But watching his inability to let it go is like shining an X-ray into his diseased mind.

I mean, there are actual American citizens still in the path of this thing, and you know that in the various briefings about it where they should be talking about Charleston and Wilmington and the like, he's taking up all of the time getting everyone to agree with him over and over that he was right about Alabama.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #18731
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

Some of the variables:

When you served
Which branch you served in
Where you served
How long you served

If you were transitioning out of the Army pre-2006ish they were handing out VA ratings like candy. It was fairly common where I was at the time (San Antonio) for people to brag about the ridiculous rating they received for rather mundane issues. At that time it came down to knowing the system and a bit of luck. However, around 2006 they realized that because of Iraq and Afghanistan they were looking at paying a generation of soldiers a lifetime of VA benefits. Because of that, they started lowballing nearly everyone on their VA ratings.

Some Army installations had great support systems to help you navigate the VA process and still get what you were entitled to. Others not so much. I transitioned from Fort Sam Houston in September of '06. I had 2 bulging and degenerative disks in my back, an MRI to prove it, and extensive documentation showing that this was something that would get worse over the course of my life rather than better. I met once with a person at the VA to help file my paperwork and received notification in the mail a few months later that my back was rated at 10% disability. That was it. An appeals process was never explained to me at any point.

My wife transitioned out of the military 2 years ago and was assigned a person to help with her case throughout the process. She met with this person multiple times over the course of a month to make sure everything in her packet was as up to date and thorough as possible. She explained the process. She explained the appeal process, if it came to that. She also set her expectations.

The Army has started to acknowledge the inconsistencies in the system. They're in the process of closing Physical Evaluation Boards with the plan of cutting it down to 2 locations where all packets will go. Here, Fort Lewis is one of those closing and has been notorious for low percentages. Someone my wife served with received a rating from PEB they weren't happy with, appealed, and they came back with a 0% rating. Those are rare, but are also the reason soldiers fear the appeals process and tend to take what they're given.

So what it comes down to is not everyone has the same experience with benefits because not everyone has the same level of support as they transition out of the military and navigate that process. My experience is on the Army side and seeing my transition and comparing it to my wife's is interesting. Aside from what I mentioned above, she had a required week-long class to attend to help with the transition to civilian life. It covered available benefits, taught resume writing skills, and highlighted job fairs and veteran friendly corporations you can apply to. I received none of that.

EDIT: My experience has obviously been Army. I do want to point out that a friend of mine was transitioning out of the Air Force a couple months after me in San Antonio. We worked the same job. Had cubicles next to each other. Since he was Air Force he went through the same process through Lackland AFB and came back with higher ratings despite no long-term or permanent issues and received a lot of the same support my wife received.

Last edited by Atocep : 09-05-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #18732
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

We have to be pretty close to Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio saying the hurricane was a threat to Alabama.

edit: lol

Counter terrorism adviser releases a statement saying the hurricane was indeed a threat to Alabama.

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-05-2019 at 04:52 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #18733
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Trump is the best at keeping people occupied with stupid crap.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #18734
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Trump is the best at keeping people occupied with stupid crap.

I think this stuff hurts Trump. When he's a super villain, that can play to people's admiration for strength, but this ridiculous crap makes him look like a clown. Every time a voter decides Trump is a fraud, he's that much further from re-election.

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-05-2019 at 05:09 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #18735
Atocep
Coordinator

So it's looking more and more likely that Trump will need a pardon at some point.

If he loses in 2020 and the dems get their hands on his taxes, which I believe is inevitable, I actually believe he ends up indicted.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...r-jones-2019-9
Old 09-05-2019, 11:43 PM   #18736
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
So it's looking more and more likely that Trump will need a pardon at some point.

If he loses in 2020 and the dems get their hands on his taxes, which I believe is inevitable, I actually believe he ends up indicted.

This would require the Dems to have a spine.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:19 AM   #18737
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I think this stuff hurts Trump. When he's a super villain, that can play to people's admiration for strength, but this ridiculous crap makes him look like a clown. Every time a voter decides Trump is a fraud, he's that much further from re-election.

Don't buy it. His followers blame the media and totally believe him. If he said God actually drew on the map with a sharpie, they would believe him.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:15 AM   #18738
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

If push came to shove, Trump leaves during the lame duck period in winter 2020 because he wouldn't want to talk to whoever beat him anyway and he can go to Mar-a- Lago. Pence then gives him a blanket pardon.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:06 AM   #18739
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Doesn't the IRS already have access to his taxes? Wouldn't they report any potential crimes?

I think releasing his taxes will be embarrassing but I don't think there will be any criminal prosecutions.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #18740
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I just can't quite believe that the GOP really seems to want to run on cuts to Social Security and Medicare. This is one area where Trump is far more politically attuned than the other party leaders.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:55 AM   #18741
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Doesn't the IRS already have access to his taxes? Wouldn't they report any potential crimes?

I think releasing his taxes will be embarrassing but I don't think there will be any criminal prosecutions.

They do have access to his returns but if there's no auditing then there's no discovery of crimes.

House Democrats say whistleblower bolsters case for getting Trump's tax returns - POLITICO

Quote:
A whistleblower recently made “credible allegations” to the Ways and Means Committee of potentially wrongful interference with the IRS’ presidential audit process, lawyers for the House told a federal court Tuesday.

Last edited by Atocep : 09-06-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:04 AM   #18742
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They do have access to his returns but if there's no auditing then there's no discovery of crimes.

They've been auditing his returns for over 3 years now
Old 09-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #18743
Edward64
Head Coach

On a macro level, hard to say who is "winning" (or losing less) in this trade dispute. Hope the October talks are productive ... and good the markets are somewhat optimistic for now. Definitely more unpredictability and swings to come in this grand game of chicken.

FWIW, Trump is up 31% vs Obama at 51% same time at presidency.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/06/econo...cut/index.html
Quote:
The People's Bank of China said it would slash the reserve requirement ratio for most financial institutions by 50 basis points. It's the first cut in the ratio in eight months and the move, which takes effect over the next three months, could unleash 900 billion yuan ($126 billion) for long-term lending, the central bank said.

China's economic growth slumped to its lowest level in nearly three decades in the second quarter. Industrial production, an important indicator for the country's economy, also posted its worst growth in 17 years. The world's second biggest economy is grappling with fallout from the trade war with the United States, as well as domestic challenges as it tries to rely less on debt to fuel growth.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #18744
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
They've been auditing his returns for over 3 years now

Eh, even if there are things found in the audits, there'll be enough grey areas where at most it'll be fines.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #18745
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
If push came to shove, Trump leaves during the lame duck period in winter 2020 because he wouldn't want to talk to whoever beat him anyway and he can go to Mar-a- Lago. Pence then gives him a blanket pardon.

Pence is too ambitious for that, I think. I'm not saying there's no circumstance under which he'd ever pardon Trump, but a three-week lame duck Presidency? He wants to be President for realsies. I can't see him being bold enough to risk that to cover Trump's ass in that scenario.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #18746
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, during a potential lame duck period, the only people cozying up to Trump are those that want pardons before he leaves.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #18747
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

How many primaries will the GOP cancel so that Trump doesn't have to face any opposition? SC, NV, AZ and KS are all expected to cancel theirs this weekend.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #18748
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
How many primaries will the GOP cancel so that Trump doesn't have to face any opposition? SC, NV, AZ and KS are all expected to cancel theirs this weekend.
It's a gutless move by the GOP, sure. That said, there are SO many reasons that I'd love to see both major Parties just ditch the primary process altogether and go back to determining their nominees in smoke-filled rooms.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #18749
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

If you make it weed filled rooms, I'd be for it.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #18750
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
If you make it weed filled rooms, I'd be for it.

Can I supply the weed?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote