Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #1851
hoopsguy
General Manager

Last note on the other game - if I feel the urge to post on it again I'll just PM Sebastian. If the stuff is already sent out with 11-4 then you could have the moderator go heavy on the items to give the villagers a little more of a boost. So maybe two items per night for the first three nights or something along those lines.

At least there is no conversion in that game. They are, in my opinion, the bane of werewolf games. Ugh - where is the puke icon?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #1852
sebastian0622
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
BTW, Sebastian - have you PM'd Lathum on this? If not then you should definitely do that ASAP.

Done.

And I let Cooley know your advice in the other WW thread. He hasn't sent out roles yet, so that's good.
sebastian0622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #1853
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

now playing tghe part of mrDNa

Sebastian0622
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:44 PM   #1854
hoopsguy
General Manager

OK, this should be interesting. Welcome, Sebastian. The floor is yours.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #1855
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Wow, hoops and I agree on something. This SHOULD be interesting!

You know...Sebastian, you don't have to ACT like MrDNA too -- you can talk!

So, if you're a wolf, that would help us out.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #1856
hoopsguy
General Manager

Pass, hope that the cat is OK. Since my wife and I have three of our own at home, there is another item we can probably agree on today.

So, I'm curious if we are going to get a super-long and involved first post from Sebastian or a "Vote DUDE#1" - I'm hoping for the former, but would laugh pretty hard at the latter.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #1857
sebastian0622
n00b

I have a few ideas. You should hear from me within a few hours after I take care of a few real-life appointments.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #1858
sebastian0622
n00b

Quote:
Pass, hope that the cat is OK. Since my wife and I have three of our own at home, there is another item we can probably agree on today.

So, I'm curious if we are going to get a super-long and involved first post from Sebastian or a "Vote DUDE#1" - I'm hoping for the former, but would laugh pretty hard at the latter.

Maybe you'll get both
Old 09-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #1859
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

unvote Pass

Really curious now, wouldn't it be to the advantage of a wolf to replace a player at this time? When we are potentially one bad vote away from game over. Even more so if DNA was a wolf, than the second wolf would be the one pushing for a replacement (eyes hoops).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #1860
hoopsguy
General Manager

Olie, I would be interested in hearing your take on where we sit right now.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #1861
hoopsguy
General Manager

Eagle, in a bigger sense I think the game is better with the right number of players. I've played enough games that I'm not going to be hung up on trying to game the system to win this game.

In a smaller sense, I've believed that MrDNA is a villager. I would rather have more villagers around as it makes it harder for the wolves to push us around. Even if DNA was a wolf, that means we have four active (well, Olie hasn't been very active today) villagers, which means we aren't one false step away from a bad lynch. So in that sense, I do think it was good to have an active player assume this role.

A 3-3 tie is considerably better than a 3-2 bad lynch with six players left.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #1862
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
unvote Pass

Really curious now, wouldn't it be to the advantage of a wolf to replace a player at this time? When we are potentially one bad vote away from game over. Even more so if DNA was a wolf, than the second wolf would be the one pushing for a replacement (eyes hoops).

Maybe I'm missing what you're asking, but I think a good game-runner would look equally hard for a replacement whether DNA was a wolf or villager, for the sake of fairness. It's kind of a bad position to be in for the game -- how do we determine if he is a wolf? And if we decide not to vote for him, what happens if he ends up with the deciding vote? I'm very interested to hear thoughts on this game from someone who doesn't know anyone, hasn't said anything, and hasn't been suspected all game.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #1863
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
In a smaller sense, I've believed that MrDNA is a villager.

What do you mean, in a smaller sense? What could you possibly have to go on to say he's a villager? Cronin made the argument that someone is sending in actions, and it's not him -- that only holds water if there is one wolf, which I don't think anyone else believes at this point.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #1864
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian0622 View Post
Maybe you'll get both
Welcome! Great to have you!
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #1865
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Oops, forgot to add a welcome to Sebastian.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #1866
hoopsguy
General Manager

To expand on the above just a little bit, even though it has very little to do with this particular game.

There are a number of us who play a whole bunch of games of werewolf. I think Lathum probably has the most under his belt; between player and moderator I'm guessing he has been involved with 45+ games. I've played in probably 25-30 by now. The guys who are long-timers generally get along pretty well, but by the same token we get a little bored playing games with the same old mix of people every time out. We generally are very pleased to have new people come along and play a game.

Now how do you keep new players interested in the game? Well, for starters you try not to be antagonistic, elitist, or guilty of creating a bad environment. The second thing you try to do is keep the games as fair as possible. If people don't think there is a level playing field that will discourage them from playing in future games. I've definitely seen this happen.

That might help explain why I reacted the way I did in this situation. For better or worse, I try to keep long-term community concerns in my head when I'm playing. I'll try very hard not to make the game personal when stuff gets heated, and I'll try to be as inclusive as possible in these games ... of course, while pouring out a stupid number of posts in the process
Old 09-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #1867
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Maybe I'm missing what you're asking, but I think a good game-runner would look equally hard for a replacement whether DNA was a wolf or villager, for the sake of fairness. It's kind of a bad position to be in for the game -- how do we determine if he is a wolf? And if we decide not to vote for him, what happens if he ends up with the deciding vote? I'm very interested to hear thoughts on this game from someone who doesn't know anyone, hasn't said anything, and hasn't been suspected all game.

Go figure, he complains when I vote for him and when I unvote for him...

Just putting ideas out there. This doesn't change my stance on his role, just have to get a little more discussion going. The more said (typed), the better.

All angles need to be explored.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:46 PM   #1868
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
What do you mean, in a smaller sense? What could you possibly have to go on to say he's a villager? Cronin made the argument that someone is sending in actions, and it's not him -- that only holds water if there is one wolf, which I don't think anyone else believes at this point.

I've only got one data point on him, and it was the vote on Day 5 that tied Path for the lead. That was the pressure vote on Path that day, more than any other. Even Eagles vote on him only tied the score late - it never threatened to hang him.

Pass, you and I had votes on Path that day but neither of them tightened things up on Path as much as this vote did. I believe it was why Path and Purdue had to arrange their near-deadline actions that day.

I don't have much to read on DNA, but what I do have I consider to be very positive.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #1869
hoopsguy
General Manager

Good to see all the dead guys taking a late-Friday look in at our game. Out for a few, will be back when my daughter is asleep for the night. Should be a couple of hours before deadline.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #1870
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To expand on the above just a little bit, even though it has very little to do with this particular game.

There are a number of us who play a whole bunch of games of werewolf. I think Lathum probably has the most under his belt; between player and moderator I'm guessing he has been involved with 45+ games. I've played in probably 25-30 by now. The guys who are long-timers generally get along pretty well, but by the same token we get a little bored playing games with the same old mix of people every time out. We generally are very pleased to have new people come along and play a game.

Now how do you keep new players interested in the game? Well, for starters you try not to be antagonistic, elitist, or guilty of creating a bad environment. The second thing you try to do is keep the games as fair as possible. If people don't think there is a level playing field that will discourage them from playing in future games. I've definitely seen this happen.

That might help explain why I reacted the way I did in this situation. For better or worse, I try to keep long-term community concerns in my head when I'm playing. I'll try very hard not to make the game personal when stuff gets heated, and I'll try to be as inclusive as possible in these games ... of course, while pouring out a stupid number of posts in the process

I'm not complaining about him joining. Just wanted to put out some possibilities.

One of the theories being that there are only two wolves left and one was the MIA player. That would pretty much make the second wolf want to push for replacement, especially if there was no movement towards votig out the MIA wolf and maybe action on voting against the wolf who is present.

Again, just floating ideas.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #1871
sebastian0622
n00b

I'm still waiting on a PM from the mod, guys. I'll hopefully check in rather soon.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #1872
sebastian0622
n00b

In the meantime, does anyone have a complete voting record, and/or a run-down of votes, vote switching near deadlines and whatnot?
Old 09-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #1873
hoopsguy
General Manager

I've got some of this information - put it together back on Day 6. I'll pull up a couple of the links and you should be able to go from there.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:58 PM   #1874
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
These are the final votes for Day 5. Work is pretty busy today, but I expect to have more time this afternoon to look at the votes/unvotes and comments leading up to this vote.

Quick notes on the final votes here:
- both known/dead wolves moved late onto Chief Rum, who has now killed one of them. Gee, he looks pretty good here.
- Pass had his vote on Path (wolf) and it didn't move at the end. I want to go back and see if he was around with an opportunity to do so (based on posts after #1318). If not, that speaks well for him
- RendeR and Cronin both have votes on Chief. Both of their votes were in relatively early. I don't think either of them had a ton of incentive to move based on self-preservation, but it would look better for both of them to be on a now-known wolf than to be on an assumed villager
- MrDNA's vote on Path certainly increased the pressure on a wolf down the stretch, as it put him in a tie for the lead (going from memory here). Speaks well for him
- two of the three votes on RendeR are from assumed good villagers (Chief and RA) and the third from Olie

As stated above, next exercise is to review the votes and comments that day in full. After that, I would be interested in tracking the votes each day from Path and Purdue and comparing them to other players still in the game. The assumption behind that is that the wolves would try to stay dispersed in their votes when possible. If someone has their votes dovetail really closely with a known wolf that is a sign that they are more likely to be good rather than bad.

Quote:
I don't think that Lathum had an official vote post for the end of Day 4, this is the last one publicly listed and there were no votes afterwards. Just putting it up in case someone else wants to review voting records, Day 5, or any of that fun stuff.

Quote:
This is the Day 3 vote.

Quote:
Didn't quickly find a vote page for Day 2 (Neon runaway) but this post can act as a benchmark for people who want to look at Day 3 in its entirety.

End of Day 2 - Post #590
End of Day 3 - Post #912
End of Day 4 - Post #1205
End of Day 5 - Post #1397

Links to the vote posts, along with a few notes I had at the time.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #1875
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Day 5 voting pattern:
1230 - Cronin votes Hoops, first vote
1232 - Purdue votes Crim
1234 - Purdue unvotes Crim
1237 - Purdue votes Crim, first vote
1247 - Eagle votes Cronin, first vote
1266 - Crim (by e-mail) votes Cronin, first player to two votes
1281 - Raiders votes Hoops, tying with Cronin
1282 - Chief votes RendeR, first vote
1284 - Olie votes RendeR, three way tie at two votes w/Cronin and Hoops
1287 - Hoops votes Path, first vote
1289 - RendeR unvotes Cronin, votes Rum (don't think he had voted yet ...), first vote for Rum
1296 - Cronin unvotes Hoops, votes Rum. Still three way tie with Cronin, RendeR, and Chief
1315 - Raiders unvotes Hoops, votes RendeR. This puts RendeR as first to three votes
1318 - Pass votes Path, giving him his 2nd vote
1321 - MrDNA votes Path, tying him with RendeR atop the leader board
1350 - Purdue unvotes Crim
1366 - Purdue votes Rum, three way tie with Path and RendeR now. Note - RendeR does not post at deadline, do not believe he was around. This passes the deciding vote to Path, barring any vote changes
1372 - Path votes for Chief, putting him on line for lynch
1375 - EagleFan unvotes Cronin, votes Path, creating a 4-4 tie between Path and Chief

Vote and unvote information from Day 5. I know I did one of these earlier on Day 1 as well at some point ...
Old 09-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #1876
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Let's see if this works:

D1D3D4D5
PathRPIPurdueBugChief
PurdueAlanTorgoCroninChief
RendeRTorgoBugCroninChief
ChiefNo VoteBugRendeRRendeR
CroninRPITelleBugChief
OlieNeonTelleBugRendeR
DNAAlanOlieNo VotePath
EagleRaidersPurduePurduePath
PassChiefTelleBugPath
RaidersEagleBugBugRendeR
HoopsRPIPurdueCroninPath
ArlingtonDNANo VoteBugNo Vote

Summary of votes. Wolf votes, and votes from villagers matching the wolf votes are color-coded.

Note that I think that voting with the wolves is more likely to be a villager action (kind of counter-intuitive) - the wolves will, unless one of their own is under fire, want to keep their votes as distributed as possible to avoid easy categorization of wolves.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #1877
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
RendeR - 3. oliegirl (1607), Hoops (1633), Raiders (1638)

hoopsguy - 1 Passacaglia (1573)

Olie - 1 RendeR (1619)

DNA - 1 Cronin (1641)

Pass - 1 Eagle (1660)

Arlingtoncolt-1- (chiefrum)

Day 6 final votes. I never did a vote movement chart with this one, but it isn't all that many posts to review if you are interested in doing so.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #1878
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Arlington Colt 5- st.cronin (1696), EagleFan (1733), oliegirl (1756), Raiders (1761), Pass (1776)

Passacaglia 2- Arlington (1764), hoopsguy (1771)

Votes from Day 7.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #1879
sebastian0622
n00b

Well I'm not quite sure what to say. It's getting close to the deadline and I'm still waiting on the mod PM before I can do much.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #1880
hoopsguy
General Manager

Well, how about talking about your thoughts on where the vote currently stands - can you do that without having the answer to your PM? Because that would seem like a good "deadline isn't too far out" topic ...
Old 09-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #1881
Passacaglia
Coordinator

The problem is -- what if he's a wolf?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #1882
hoopsguy
General Manager

I always would prefer to have a running conversation rather than nothing - wolf, villager, undecided. In some cases, especially with a wolf.

For example, I've directed more conversation at you than just about anyone else over last couple of days
Old 09-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #1883
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
I always would prefer to have a running conversation rather than nothing - wolf, villager, undecided. In some cases, especially with a wolf.

For example, I've directed more conversation at you than just about anyone else over last couple of days

I'm talking about things from his side -- he might like to know what side he's on before he starts spouting off.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:52 PM   #1884
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Do we still have deadline tonight?
Old 09-14-2007, 09:07 PM   #1885
hoopsguy
General Manager

Not sure - but I haven't seen our moderator around at all tonight.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #1886
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

oliegirl - 1 Pass (1838)
Pass - 3 hoopsguy (1796) oliegirl (1801) cronin (1821)

Just a quick look at where we stand
Old 09-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #1887
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

vote oliegirl
Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #1888
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

oliegirl - 2 Pass (1838) EagleFan (1887)
Pass - 3 hoopsguy (1796) oliegirl (1801) cronin (1821)

Update
Old 09-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #1889
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm hopeful that we have two wolves in the voting crossfire here, as it will make it impossible for them to manipulate the vote to a villager.

However, if that isn't the case then 3-2 is a bad margin, just begging for a last-second switch.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #1890
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

who here doesn't trust cronin?
Old 09-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #1891
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I suspected him at one point and he really hasn't cleared his name in my opinion, the attention was just moved elsewhere.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #1892
hoopsguy
General Manager

Sebastian - are you going to be able to participate in the vote today if you don't hear back from our illustrious moderator? Because we are closing in on the witching hour.

As Alan T (who is currently watching this game) can attest, Pass knows all about the late vote-switch to pull off the wolf win
Old 09-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #1893
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I suspected him at one point and he really hasn't cleared his name in my opinion, the attention was just moved elsewhere.

I trusted him enough to give him the item last night, as he mentioned earlier in the thread. I hope that he did what he felt he needed to do with the item today.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #1894
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

unvote oliegirl
Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #1895
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

vote Pass

I hope I wasn't just conned by hoops and cronin
Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #1896
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

ok, I had one foot out the door when sebastian jumped in and I forget to send him an opening PM.

I will extend the deadline by 30 minutes so he can have his say.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #1897
hoopsguy
General Manager

No con here - hope that I'm right in all three of us being villagers.

Hope the Cubs can get the last out of their ballgame right now, Dempster looks like a total turd at the moment.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:37 PM   #1898
hoopsguy
General Manager

Cubs take 5-1 lead with 3 in top of 9th, game ends with bases-loaded groundout, 5-3 final. Cards - 4 hits in first 8 innings against Big Z, 5 in 9th against Dempster and Howry.

Now that I'm done watching that near-trainwreck I can return my attention to this trainwreck.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #1899
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Glad the Phillies got their last out in the game. 5 straight over the Mets now, including teh 4 game sweep a couple weeks agi. Gotta LOVE that!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:39 PM   #1900
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: Wow, bad typos there... lousy keyboard...