Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2010, 02:48 AM   #1901
Dutch
"Dutch"

I thought it was a great fight and a great strategy play by Sonnen. He obviously is outclassed by Silva standing up and besides the ability to take down Silva, was outclassed on the ground (with regard to submission attempts). So his big play here was to be relentless and hope he could keep it up for 25 minutes.

Obviously, doing anything strenuous for 25 minutes sucks, trying to keep Anderson Fucking Silva at bay for 25 minutes has to be just shy of impossible. But I see what Sonnen was doing. He was in constant fear of getting submitted. He didn't slip once during the fight and get submitted like a big dummy...he was fighting the submission the entire fight and it was probably a combination of losing endurance late in the fight and the law of averages that caught up with him.

A great fight and one of the big reasons why fight-style differences make MMA so much more interesting than boxing.

Last edited by Dutch : 08-14-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #1902
PilotMan
Head Coach

Code:
FULL RESULTS: Tim Sylvia def. Paul Buentello by KO at 4:57, R2 Terry Martin def. Jorge Ortiz by split decision (28-29, 30-28, 29-28) Tony Lopez def. Jason Lambert by KO at 1:49, R2 Matt Horwich def. Thales Leites by submission (rear naked choke) at :24 seconds, R4 Erin Beach def. Joao Silva by unanimous decision (30-25, 29-28, 29-28) Diego Garijo def. Jens Pulver by submission (guillotine choke) at 1:08, R1 Gustavo Machado def. Rick Reeves by split decision (30-27, 29-28, 27-30)

When is enough, enough?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #1903
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Big Nog is out of 119. The replacement is supposed to be a big name. Considering Pat Berry recently said he was going to Germany for a month to help Cro Cop train for an upcoming fight, I am going to guess its Mir vs Cro Cop.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #1904
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Cro Cop confirmed accored to Fighters Only.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #1905
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Cro Cop confirmed accored to Fighters Only.

This might actually be interesting if he could still use his legs like he used to...
Old 08-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #1906
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Bleh. Mir should eat him alive.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #1907
Dutch
"Dutch"

Right. Crocop hasn't "used his legs" since the Gonzaga fight...he's washing up fast.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #1908
thesloppy
Pro Starter

So....excuse me if this is common knowledge, I'm somewhat of an MMA rube...is Zuffa intentionally trying to bury the WEC? They don't seem to cross promote for shit, in fact they don't seem to promote themselves at all, and I never know when their events are unless I happen to randomly stumble upon them on VS. (and how often am I randomly cruising past VS.? Got lucky tonight), I'd set my DVR but they're also unique in that they don't seem to properly differentiate what's new and what's a replay, so you can't record any WEC without recording ALL WEC, and 99% of it is replays of old 3 hour events, which serves as an effective dissuasion against recording any of it.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-18-2010 at 10:11 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #1909
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

That was a fuckin Hell of a fight!!! I disagree with the judges, I think Cruz lost. but I better see a fucking rematch in 3-4 months.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 08-18-2010 at 10:48 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #1910
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm new to MMA but is the WEC considered a UFC minor league or is it separate just because they have smaller guys?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #1911
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

they have plenty of guys the same size. The UFC just doesnt have lower weight classes then light weight. not yet anyway. it's more of a Minor League but not really.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #1913
PilotMan
Head Coach

Terrible start for Strikeforce tonight.

Like Steam?

Old 08-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #1914
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So much for Bobby Lashley

edit to add: Random tweets saying Lashley was stretchered out from backstage

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-21-2010 at 10:11 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #1915
PilotMan
Head Coach

Strictly from a promotional standpoint, this was a bad fight. I mean, it was a close fight, no decisive winner, but someone has to win. That doesn't build up your champion very effectively.

Like Steam?

Old 08-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #1916
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Jimmy Lennon Jr. always sound so horribly bland and unconvinced...particularly when talking about Rockstar. "Bigger. Better. Faster. Party. Like. A. Rockstar." (with no emotion). Ugh. I have more emotion when talking about the dump I took yesterday.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #1917
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

LOL

King Mo got massacred.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #1918
PilotMan
Head Coach

And the Strikeforce leadership is left to cry in their beers after this night. Their most marketable fighters all went down tonight. Great main event though. However this show on the heels of Fedor getting beaten is bad for them. imo their long term revenue just got a lot more difficult to sustain.

Like Steam?

Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #1919
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jim Ross tweets "King Mo tore acl b4 his Sat fight. Having surgery out 8-12 months."
Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #1920
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dana has said Anderson/Sonnen II is next up when Anderson is healthy.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #1921
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dana has said Anderson/Sonnen II is next up when Anderson is healthy.

Anderson Silva, Anderson?

Would love to see a rematch there. I missed that Silva hurt himself (if this is the Anderson you're talking about).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #1922
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Jim Ross tweets "King Mo tore acl b4 his Sat fight. Having surgery out 8-12 months."

So he fought with a torn ACL? That explains a lot. Shame that he didn't pull out - that's sort of an excuseable loss then.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #1923
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Anderson Silva, Anderson?

Would love to see a rematch there. I missed that Silva hurt himself (if this is the Anderson you're talking about).

Yup.

Sonnen was apparently sick going into that fight too.

I think Spider takes the rematch more decisively but I am all for it.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #1924
Dutch
"Dutch"

Silva obviously has knockout power that Sonnen lacks. So if there is a quick decisive moment, it's got to be about 8-1 odds in favor of Anderson.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #1925
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The UFC's light-heavyweight championship will be on hold for a year.

Current champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, who won the title with a knockout of Lyoto Machida in May, will be out till the spring or summer of 2011 due to his recent knee injury.

As expected UFC president Dana White today told ESPN's "SportsCenter" he'll meet top contender and former champ Rashad Evans upon his return.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #1926
samifan24
Pro Starter

Any news of when Jon Jones will fight again? I've never purchased a UFC fight but will almost assuredly purchase his next fight.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #1927
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
The UFC's light-heavyweight championship will be on hold for a year.

Current champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, who won the title with a knockout of Lyoto Machida in May, will be out till the spring or summer of 2011 due to his recent knee injury.

As expected UFC president Dana White today told ESPN's "SportsCenter" he'll meet top contender and former champ Rashad Evans upon his return.

im sure an interim belt will be created.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #1928
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
im sure an interim belt will be created.

I'm starting to doubt it. Rashad said he will wait for Shogun a few times already. I think there ought to be but not sold on it.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #1929
Dutch
"Dutch"

The UFC better be careful it doesn't end up doing the boxing thing where belts go on hiatus for 18 months without a defense. I can't see how that's good for business. This belt looks locked down for 8-12 months...that sucks.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #1930
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

My fear is that when Shogun returns we will see the same Shogun who fought Forrest coming off of knee surgeries. Anyone know off hand how many knee surgeries he is up to at this point?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #1932
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Do any of you guys have any friends who are such boxing front-runners? Text of a conversation between me and my co-worker Mike

Me: Everyone's saying that Couture/Toney is historic.. the first time boxer v MMA.. while I think Couture's gonna submit him within a couple minutes… I was surprised to find out that this had happened in the past.. a Judoka (Gene LeBell) took on a boxer back in the late 60's. I found a link to video of the fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLkP02JstE

Mike (co-worker): Dude, this is MMA vs MMA.
No boxing vs mma, it is a complete MMA rules match.

And Toney is going to F&*^%#$ KILL Couture.

Brutal KO. But couture is a Olympic wrestler (Monty (our co-worker) trained him) so he needs to get real lucky and take down Toney and Toney has to get a compound fracture of both legs and arms on the way down for Couture to have a chance.

Me: Well, I was going to suggest putting your money where your mouth is:

Toney is a +600 underdog, and Couture a -700 favorite (yes, bet $100 to win $600 on Toney, bet $700 to win $100 on Couture).

But, rather than taking it to Vegas.. if you want to make a friendly wager, I'll give ya 2-1 odds. $100 from me if Toney does win, $50 from you if Couture wins?

Mike: I got 300 on Toney by stoppage
Easy money mofo. Way too easy.

Then he will KO Lesner within 60 seconds.

If you actually watched the top UFC or MMA fighters you would be shocked how terribly conditioned, terribly under skilled and terribly overhyped they are.

Worst athletes (not sure you can call them athletes) of ALL times

Sadly, his $300 (if true) is wagered in Vegas, not with me. I'd feel good about that wager
Old 08-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #1933
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I have a buddy who is similarly hung-up on boxing being the 'sweet science' and MMA being some sort of disgrace. My (and everybody else's) problem with your buddy's hypothesis is the concept that an Olympic-level wrestler needs to get 'real lucky' to take down a 42-year old dude who's been training grappling for 6 months.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #1934
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'm sorry you have to work with people that are that stupid...
Old 08-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #1935
Dutch
"Dutch"

Everybody needs to find UFC 1 and watch Gracie vs the boxer and learn how a true boxer gets completely owned.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #1936
PilotMan
Head Coach

No, you just have to watch Rocky III, Thunderlips kicks Rock's ass.

Like Steam?

Old 08-28-2010, 04:39 AM   #1937
Dutch
"Dutch"

See, even fake-wrestling vs fake-boxing knows whats up.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #1938
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh, I'm going to be gloating.... (grins)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 08-28-2010 at 10:57 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #1939
saldana
Pro Starter

that fight was pathetic
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #1940
saldana
Pro Starter

dola, i hope penn actually shows up this time around or this might be the worst card ever
Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #1941
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
dola, i hope penn actually shows up this time around or this might be the worst card ever

Just filed the missing persons report.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #1942
PilotMan
Head Coach

Edgar's cardio is insane. No way he should look that fresh after 25 minutes. Penn was just destroyed there.

Like Steam?

Old 08-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #1943
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Edgar's cardio is insane. No way he should look that fresh after 25 minutes. Penn was just destroyed there.

Edgar looked great, Penn looked awful.

Really do not want to see Edgar/Maynard II, especially this time in a 5 round fight. Obviously that will be a co-main event because no one is gonna' pay to see it.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #1944
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wow, tonight was not a good night for watching the PPV.

Loved watching Randy completely own that fat f***.

What is up with Penn? Is he just out there collecting a paycheck or has he gone into depression?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #1946
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Wow, tonight was not a good night for watching the PPV.

Loved watching Randy completely own that fat f***.

What is up with Penn? Is he just out there collecting a paycheck or has he gone into depression?

Saw an interview with him and he said the only real change for this fight was a lot of resting. Sounds like somebody didn't really care for the fight.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #1947
saldana
Pro Starter

i am so glad i didnt pay for that...i think the only fight on there that wasnt terrible was the Diaz bout, and I dont like him at all.

BJ looked terrible...had absolutley zero intensity or aggression.

unfortunately for UFC, the next card doesnt look that great either.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #1948
molson
General Manager

Part of me was hoping Toney would get lucky with a punch just to see everyone freak out, but obviously, that was so ridiculously unlikely that Dana White was willing to put the credibility of his sport on the line like this.

An excellent pro boxer who takes his training seriously and learns the MMA basics might do OK. But that was just an abomination. I'm an MMA novice when it comes to undertanding techniques on the ground, etc, so I was amused by Joe Rogan's commentary: "Ya, it looks like nobody taught him how to defend this, he's going to sleep".

Last edited by molson : 08-29-2010 at 03:22 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #1949
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

BJ looked bored and zombie esque. I'm not proud of my Hilo Brother today. But maybe its just the end of his career, and it has been an excellent one.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #1950
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm an MMA novice when it comes to undertanding techniques on the ground, etc, so I was amused by Joe Rogan's commentary: "Ya, it looks like nobody taught him how to defend this, he's going to sleep".

Joe Rogan knows his shit. He sees way more than he is capable of even saying in the timing of the broadcast. Easily the most enjoyable commentator around.

Like Steam?