Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #1901
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
These claims are hard to take even a little seriously if the people most vociferously making them are always conveniently placing the hypothetical chopping block just below their own intelligence or "usefulness to society."

I mean, you could get rid of 99.99% of humans and still have a viable population, so it's the definition of "those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" for you to say that we should start and end it at whichever poor minority group you think we should genocide. At least have some nobility to your eugenics.

You could get it down to around 4 or so and one would still kill another. Sin nature is like that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #1902
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
shrug...

I think there is some validity to what he is saying. The delivery leaves something to be desired, but no one should be surprised about that.

You have to have a license to drive a car, own a gun, get married, etc...yet you can procreate as many times as you like, and be a total drain on the system. Not to mention there are plenty of middle and upper class people who are shit parents also, so I am not suggesting it should be a class or race issue.

That being said, I realize it is unrealistic, but I hate that you can have children and not be held accountable for having to actually being a parent.

You have no idea how much I would love to see the (insert your state here)'s Parents Handbook and the test that one would have to pass to obtain the Parent's license.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #1903
Dutch
"Dutch"

A parenting license. I like it.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #1904
BillJasper
Pro Starter

What do you do with the kids of all the parents that fail?
Old 12-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #1905
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
What do you do with the kids of all the parents that fail?

The point is to not let those parents procreate in the first place.

We already have plenty of kids whose parents fail.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #1906
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

We already have plenty of kids whose parents fail.

How exactly are you going to stop people? Seriously. Fine poor people for having kids? Won't matter to them as they don't have the money to pay. Put the parents in jail? So, the state is taking care of Mom, possibly Dad and the kid on a full-time basis. Is the State going to forcibly sterilize people who don't pass the test.

Some scary shit to give the government that much power over an individual's life.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #1907
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The point is to not let those parents procreate in the first place. We already have plenty of kids whose parents fail.

Ding ding ding.

That's a winner.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #1908
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I mean, you could get rid of 99.99% of humans and still have a viable population

Gotta retain enough for a viable economy so I'm not entirely sure where the cut line is.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #1909
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is the State going to forcibly sterilize people who don't pass the test.

That's exactly what I've proposed for years.

Quote:
Some scary shit to give the government that much power over an individual's life.

If the government is paying for it, they certainly have stepped in to control it in the past. If anything, it's almost a government tradition.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #1910
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

If the government is paying for it, they certainly have stepped in to control it in the past. If anything, it's almost a government tradition.

No thanks.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #1911
cuervo72
Head Coach

While I would prefer people to be more judicious about having kids, this idea isn't the way to do it (teaching the responsible use of birth control, now you might be onto something). If you thought tests for voting would be problematic*...

It is a good point about the overpopulation folks though. They want fewer people...and they also blame those living in industrialized nations (read: the US) for any problem brought about by consumption (energy, food, water). So their solution is what, the US stop breeding, and in favor of underdeveloped countries? Yeah, no.

* I mean, not all do. But the same arguments apply here.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-08-2014 at 07:51 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #1912
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think something like that would backfire and have the poor voting in unprecedented numbers.

I've long held that voting privileges should be suspended for anyone on welfare.
And have often felt a return to landowners-only as a criteria should be strongly considered.

It's akin to letting the inmates run the asylum & that's never a great idea.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #1913
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Gotta retain enough for a viable economy so I'm not entirely sure where the cut line is.

I think you'd be a bit upset when most of these dumb hillbillies (the ones in the country who think most like you) are the ones getting sterilized.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #1914
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
How exactly are you going to stop people? Seriously. Fine poor people for having kids? Won't matter to them as they don't have the money to pay. Put the parents in jail? So, the state is taking care of Mom, possibly Dad and the kid on a full-time basis. Is the State going to forcibly sterilize people who don't pass the test.

Quote:
shrug...

I think there is some validity to what he is saying. The delivery leaves something to be desired, but no one should be surprised about that.

You have to have a license to drive a car, own a gun, get married, etc...yet you can procreate as many times as you like, and be a total drain on the system. Not to mention there are plenty of middle and upper class people who are shit parents also, so I am not suggesting it should be a class or race issue.

That being said, I realize it is unrealistic, but I hate that you can have children and not be held accountable for having to actually being a parent.

reading comprehension FTW
Old 12-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #1915
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What the fuck has this thread turned into? Forced sterilization? Preventing people from procreating? This is actually a serious discussion?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #1916
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
What the fuck has this thread turned into? Forced sterilization? Preventing people from procreating? This is actually a serious discussion?

The turn was (somewhere) about overpopulation ... which ties directly into previous conversations in (an)other thread, about how unemployment isn't a shortage of jobs, it's an excess of people.

I believe the tangent here also involved robots at some point.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #1917
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It also isn't exactly a novel idea (forced birth control) ...

Note the date on this quickly Googled link? 1993. That's a (D) governor discussing it btw.
(the headline isn't all the content)

Governor's Welfare Plan Pushes Free Birth Control - New York Times

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-08-2014 at 07:57 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #1918
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The turn was (somewhere) about overpopulation ... which ties directly into previous conversations in (an)other thread, about how unemployment isn't a shortage of jobs, it's an excess of people.

I believe the tangent here also involved robots at some point.

And Whole Foods, don't forget about Whole Foods.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #1919
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And Whole Foods, don't forget about Whole Foods.

And Walmart.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #1920
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's Jon. He probably needs his own "loony bin" thread like MBBF has for game consoles.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #1921
larrymcg421
Head Coach

My post had less to do with random changing of topics (this thread has already jumped the shark in that regard) and more to do with disbelief that we're even discussing the current subject as if forced sterilization or anything to prevent people from procreating isn't a ridiculously totalitarian human rights violation.

I'm all for offering low cost/free birth control. That's just basic common sense as far as government programs go. But the idea that we would even entertain the idea of something mandatory being a reasonable idea (whether it's realistic or not) is just insanely crazy.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #1922
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But the idea that we would even entertain the idea of something mandatory being a reasonable idea (whether it's realistic or not) is just insanely crazy.

Not nearly as utterly insane as the notion (which I think came up in this thread) of some sort of minimum wage for breathing ... but it didn't stop it from being mentioned.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #1923
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Obviously this is a side tangent, but there is a Publix and Kroger within 1 mile (and another Kroger in downtown Decatur). Putting a Walmart there serves no purpose other than to reduce the property values immediately adjacent to the lot.

I'm thinking that a company like Walmart doesn't get as rich as it does by making useless stores.

In addition, have you been to a Walmart lately... they aren't primarily a grocery store.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #1924
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This sounds like the beginning of a sci-fi dystopia novel, not an actual reasonable proposal (and no, it isn't a reasonable proposal at all).
Old 12-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #1925
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
how unemployment isn't a shortage of jobs, it's an excess of people.

What a ridiculously Mathusian view of economics. If y'all are going to suggest forced sterilization for people who can't pass a parent test, I'm going to insist on refraining from talking about economics if you don't have an economics degree.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #1926
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
In addition, have you been to a Walmart lately... they aren't primarily a grocery store.

In the case of Athens, that was a primary purpose (the location was an unusual size, about twice that of a typical grocery-only, about half that of a standard supercenter). And they were the ONLY grocery provider willing to even discuss scaling to the development or even adapt their exterior to the "urban landscape" model required.

Nobody else -- the market here includes Kroger, Publix, Ingles, Fresh Market and Trader Joes -- was even willing to consider coming into that space ... which is why it's now (yay us) even more apartments.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #1927
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

FYI, getting rid of bad parents would also virtually get rid of strippers... and Florida state football.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #1928
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
This sounds like the beginning of a sci-fi dystopia novel, not an actual reasonable proposal (and no, it isn't a reasonable proposal at all).

I realize it isn't possible, and I never suggested forced sterilization. It just annoys me that people continue to have children they can't afford, or have children they can't or aren't willing to parent. This goes for the poorest of the poor as well as the Cromarties of the world.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #1929
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
What a ridiculously Mathusian view of economics. If y'all are going to suggest forced sterilization for people who can't pass a parent test, I'm going to insist on refraining from talking about economics if you don't have an economics degree.

And if we're going to insist on refraining from talking about economics if you don't have an economics degree, I'm going to insist on refraining from talking about law enforcement unless you have experience working in law enforcement.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #1930
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
And if we're going to insist on refraining from talking about economics if you don't have an economics degree, I'm going to insist on refraining from talking about law enforcement unless you have experience working in law enforcement.

Does binge watching The Wire and/or Law & Order count?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #1931
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Does binge watching The Wire and/or Law & Order count?

Add Southland and make it a 2/3. Or just a couple episodes of Cops.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #1932
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Having a law degree should be an instant exemption from having to watch COPS .
Old 12-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #1933
sabotai
General Manager

I had a pretty serious addiction to the show Cops when I was younger.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #1934
molson
General Manager

I'll volunteer to be sterilized if that helps with anything.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:51 AM   #1935
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Comic Sans
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:54 AM   #1936
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
FYI, getting rid of bad parents would also virtually get rid of strippers... and Florida state football.

We definitely need a bottomless supply of desperate hot single mums to keep that industry going.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #1937
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

I guess it's as good of place as any to post this:

Senate report: Harsh CIA tactics didn't work
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #1938
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I thought this cnn editorial has good points. But I wonder, in the age of wanting give stars second+ chances and tearful, public apologies, at what point does being reformed kick in or does ever it not?

Quote:
Trayvon Martin. Michael Brown. Eric Garner. The list of names of black men killed by white men who have subsequently gone unpunished -- and in the case of Brown and Garner, untried -- continues to grow. In each of these cases, an ugly theme has been raised in defense of the perpetrators: The victims should have known better.

Why did Garner resist arrest? Why was Martin wearing a hoodie? Why did Brown not meekly get out of the street when ordered to by a police officer? The reasoning goes that their deaths were triggered by their deeds; they need to be held posthumously accountable for their conduct.
When it comes to the actions of their white killers, however, the accountability hawks fall suddenly silent.

In their eyes, accountability is apparently only for the dark-skinned (for being "uppity" or vulgar), the poor (for failing to bootstrap themselves into success), the recently immigrated (for failing to "mainstream" into American society) -- and, as we've also seen, for women for failing to avoid sexual predators and LGBTs for being too blatant about their sexuality.

A flagrant new example of this "accountability for thee, but not for me" sensibility emerged last week, when New England Cable News reported that actor Mark Wahlberg -- one of Hollywood's most bankable leading men, who scored a staggering $16 million paycheck for his turn as a heroic father and inventor in the most recent "Transformers" movie -- has petitioned Massachusetts for pardon of his brutal assaults on a pair of Vietnamese men, Tranh Lam and Hoa Trinh, while a teenager in Dorchester, Massachusetts.

The attacks were peppered with racial slurs; he called Lam a "Vietnam f*cking sh*t" before smashing him in the head with a large club and knocking him unconscious, and he punched Trinh so hard that he left him blinded in one eye. He repeatedly referred to both men as "slant-eyed gooks" while he was being arrested. Wahlberg, who was 17, was tried as an adult and served 45 days in jail for the crime.

In the application he filed to the state's Advisory Board of Pardons, Wahlberg states that he has "dedicated myself to becoming a better person and citizen so that I can be a role model to my children and others" and that "receiving a pardon would be a formal recognition that I am not the same person that I was." He claims that, despite his use of racist language, the race of the men was not a motivation for his crime, blaming instead the "influence of alcohol and narcotics." (Wahlberg committed the assaults while seeking to steal two cases of beer from Lam's convenience store.)

In a stroke of irony, he states that a major reason for seeking a pardon is the desire to expand his own burgeoning restaurant chain, Wahlburgers, whose licensing has been hampered by his record as a felon.

So, young Mark Wahlberg, who would just half a decade later rise to fame as a rapper and a crotch-grabbing underwear model under the name "Marky Mark" before successfully transitioning to acting, was let off with a trivial 45-day sentence after battering an Asian man until he was permanently handicapped. Three gold records, $200 million in wealth and untold fame and adulation later, he's seeking absolution for his crimes, because, he writes, "troubled youths will see this as an inspiration and motivation that they, too, can turn their lives around."

The unwritten phrase that should follow Wahlberg's assertion: "That is to say, so long as they're white and their victims are not."

If a black, Hispanic or Asian youth under the influence of drugs and alcohol had put out a white man's eye while trying to rob his store, it's inconceivable that he would have been let off with such a light sentence; implausible that he'd have gone on to the kind of marquee stardom that Wahlberg has obtained; unlikely that he would have the sense of unvarnished privilege that is driving Wahlberg's desire for a whitewashing of his record, if you'll pardon the pun.

According to The Boston Globe, to this day Wahlberg has never apologized or paid restitution to the victims of his crimes. He also hasn't really acknowledged his pattern of bigoted language and racist violence, which included a separate episode in which he threw rocks at African-American schoolchildren while shouting that "black n*ggers" were unwelcome in his community.

And he has never reached out to the Vietnamese-American community or other communities of color with the kind of targeted charity and philanthropic presence befitting someone who was truly remorseful for the repulsive actions of his youth.

And that's the most gut-wrenching aspect of Wahlberg's request, coming as it does in the wake of the repeated, unpunished killings of young black men and teens at the hands of white men. The darkest reactions to the deaths of Martin, Brown and Garner described the victims as hardened, bestial and irredeemably corrupted by casual drug use or records of petty crime. They were, in the coded language of these commenters, "thugs."

Meanwhile, Wahlberg, a wealthy white man with a more extensive criminal record than any of the black men mentioned above, has been described across mainstream media as a "troubled" youth who's since made good.
In the wake of the grand jury's decision not to indict Officer Daniel Pantaleo for the choking death of Garner, the hashtag #CrimingWhileWhite trended on Twitter, featuring hundreds of white people sharing how their infractions were dismissed by police, while in many cases black friends were prosecuted for the same offenses. I noted at the time that the hashtag was "proof that there are two America: One that gets off with a wink. And one that just gets offed."

In that other America, white versions of Martin, Brown and Garner might well have gotten the chance to "make good" like Wahlberg; they might be the ones seeking to redeem their youthful indiscretions.

Sadly, no amount of pardoning will resurrect the dead.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #1939
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Wahlburg is a schmuck.

He's an embarrassment to this state.

I wouldn't eat at Wahlburger's if it was the last burger place on earth. Fuck him.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #1940
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Wahlburg is a schmuck.

He's an embarrassment to this state.

I wouldn't eat at Wahlburger's if it was the last burger place on earth. Fuck him.

I'll put you down for "not reformed" and once a thug, always a thug.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #1941
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

When was the last time Wahlberg committed a crime? If he's been clean for a long time then I say why not?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #1942
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
When was the last time Wahlberg committed a crime? If he's been clean for a long time then I say why not?

That's fine enough reasoning if you're not into the whole Hammurabi code thing, but does it extend to non-famous people whose past felonies have more of an effect on their ability to earn a living?
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #1943
Jukeman
Mascot

Not surprise that a thread based on minorities ended in a discussion of sterilization.

Esau being Esau.
Jukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #1944
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's fine enough reasoning if you're not into the whole Hammurabi code thing, but does it extend to non-famous people whose past felonies have more of an effect on their ability to earn a living?

Two points:

First, to answer your question, yes. If a person is a law abiding citizen for a long time then I wouldn't mind a pardon (or at least some kind of suspension).

Second-
Spoiler
Old 12-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #1945
molson
General Manager

When you read the general criteria the MA executive branch is supposed to use is determining whether to exercise it's pardon power, Wahlberg seems like an ideal candidate in a lot of ways. But he's also not your typical rehabilitative success story. His "extraordinary contribution to society" really wasn't about "a means of restoring community and making amend for earlier misdeeds." He just got rich and discovered it's easier not to be a violent thug when you're a rich guy. If I'm the governor and pardon committee, I'd rather use that power for people who have say, gang-related convictions, and then turned around their lives and contributed to the community by helping others avoid going down that same path. Maybe that's too narrow. But I'm also not sure that the "compelling need" for a pardon required by the governor's pardon policy contemplates helping out a multi-millionaire establish a chain of restaurants.

Last edited by molson : 12-09-2014 at 09:31 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #1946
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
When you read the general criteria the MA executive branch is supposed to use is determining whether to exercise it's pardon power, Wahlberg seems like an ideal candidate in a lot of ways. But he's also not your typical rehabilitative success story. His "extraordinary contribution to society" really wasn't about "a means of restoring community and making amend for earlier misdeeds." He just got rich and discovered it's easier not to be a violent thug when you're a rich guy. If I'm the governor and pardon committee, I'd rather use that power for people who have say, gang-related convictions, and then turned around their lives and contributed to the community by helping others avoid going down that same path. Maybe that's too narrow. But I'm also not sure that the "compelling need" for a pardon required by the governor's pardon policy contemplates helping out a multi-millionaire establish a chain of restaurants.

Totally agree with everything you said here and that's why (at first glance at least) I'm against it.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #1947
RainMaker
General Manager

Also I think it sets a better example for people that actions have consequences. He committed a vile act and there are consequences for that. Don't want to be labeled a felon for life? Don't commit a felony!
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #1948
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Wait, lost in the Wahlberg article, George Zimmerman was WHITE?!?! Damn. Never knew.

I've never been a MW fan music/movies/stupid TV show my wife watches too much...just always seemed like the type of guy I would want to punch in the mouth. That said...if the new standard for our lives is the crimes of our youth, well I'm fucked.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #1949
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't know enough of the facts in the Wahlberg case, but lots of felons need pardoned, especially non-violent ones. The restrictions on voting and the limitations on employment carry on for decades after the crime has been "paid for".
Old 12-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #1950
RainMaker
General Manager

I think Zimmerman was given hinorary white status because it helped the narrative more than him being hispanic.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote