Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2024, 11:14 PM   #1901
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
That Aaron Sorkin is full of terrible script ideas.

HAHAHAHAHAHAA now THIS is a great joke
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 11:18 PM   #1902
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Trump's campaign team sure as hell didn't wait very long to take the gloves off.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 11:19 PM   #1903
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox

So like now is the time when all of the independents and other parties step up and put forward good candidates, right? Maybe we'll turn into England. Labor party, green party, capitalist party, uh....what else...

They've already done that, for decades. Most voters ignore them. That'll continue to happen, almost certainly.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 11:49 PM   #1904
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I don’t like them at all, but Manchin balances the ticket as VP

Why would you pick someone who alienates the base? I don't think there are a lot of Joe Manchin fans out there.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 11:54 PM   #1905
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

seriously Manchin is a turd. WOrst idea ever. STOP PICKING CENTRISTS
Old 07-22-2024, 12:02 AM   #1906
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The VP picture is kind of interesting from a game theory perspective. People like Whitmer and Shapiro might want to wait till 2028, but waiting often screws you over. A lot can change in 4 years and I think sitting back and hoping the seas part for you is a dangerous strategy.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:09 AM   #1907
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

Especially when abortion is their strongest issue. Why on Earth would you make someone who isn't exactly a pri-choice politician your VP?

Another name I'll throw out is JB Pritzker. I don't think he has a shot because he isn't tied in enough with the donor class, but he'd be a solid pick. Real strong on abortion and a really savvy politician. And he just comes across as a jolly guy which isn't a bad person to have on the ticket.

Shapiro would probably help them the most in important states but he also comes with some risk.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:11 AM   #1908
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The VP picture is kind of interesting from a game theory perspective. People like Whitmer and Shapiro might want to wait till 2028, but waiting often screws you over. A lot can change in 4 years and I think sitting back and hoping the seas part for you is a dangerous strategy.

WHITMER! THAT'S the name I was trying to think of. She shares death threats and attempts with trump

She is pretty hated by the right.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:12 AM   #1909
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

are you kidding....a lot can change in 4 DAYS!
Old 07-22-2024, 12:16 AM   #1910
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

We need more centrists & moderates … from both sides.

I’m not bought into Kamala but can live with her. Assume she’ll continue Joe’s policies but do need to hear more from her on illegal immigration, China, taxes etc. But I do want to see some competition and who else we can pick.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 12:29 AM   #1911
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

I’m not bought into Kamala but can live with her. Assume she’ll continue Joe’s policies but do need to hear more from her on illegal immigration, China, taxes etc. But I do want to see some competition and who else we can pick.

so you want chaos....got it. um....I mean MORE chaos
Old 07-22-2024, 12:39 AM   #1912
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You can just be a Republican man. It's not that big of a deal.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:39 AM   #1913
Edward64
Head Coach

If we got more centrists & moderates from both sides, it’ll be less chaos than what we have now with extremists from both sides.

Article below said Pelosi talked to Joe on Sat and implied her call helped him make the decision. But then Pelosi’s office denied there was even a call. Interesting, I’m sure it’ll all come out with time but I tend to believe she did make a call or communicate to Joe or did it indirectly.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/07/21/pelo...-election.html

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-22-2024 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:43 AM   #1914
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
You can just be a Republican man. It's not that big of a deal.

I definitely lean one way or another on issues but overall, I consider myself moderate & independent.

World would be a better place if both sides learn to compromise on majority of issues.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:54 AM   #1915
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Democrats have been run by moderates since we were born. Who are these non-centrists running the Democratic Party these days that need to compromise?

And they don't need to compromise because both parties largely share the same positions outside of a few social issues. Those social issues are important but most everything else has been settled.
Old 07-22-2024, 01:00 AM   #1916
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Her stance on China, taxes and immigration that you're waiting on are going to be roughly the same as Biden's. Which is roughly the same as Trump's. Which is the same as just about every leader from both sides in Washington.

There are social issues that differ but the things you're asking about have been decided no matter who wins.
Old 07-22-2024, 01:05 AM   #1917
Danny
Head Coach

We are really just choosing the option which is not trying to undo any and all democracy we have left and setting things back 150 years.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 05:33 AM   #1918
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I love how Trump said his new strategy was to bring people together, and that strategy lasted for as long as he kept reading the speechwriter's words. The moment he went off script, it was the usual Trump. And they're already on the attack against Harris, so I suppose that the strategy has already been forgotten.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 06:39 AM   #1919
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Democrats have been run by moderates since we were born. Who are these non-centrists running the Democratic Party these days that need to compromise?

And they don't need to compromise because both parties largely share the same positions outside of a few social issues. Those social issues are important but most everything else has been settled.

*highfive*
THIS!
Old 07-22-2024, 07:03 AM   #1920
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Joe Manchin dropped out fast. He said this morning on CNN that everything was "leading toward" his running, but an hour later on Gail King he said he is not, but wanting an open primary. He had less than zero chance as it was, but wonder who stopped him?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 07:07 AM   #1921
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Joe Manchin dropped out fast. He said this morning on CNN that everything was "leading toward" his running, but an hour later on Gail King he said he is not, but wanting an open primary. He had less than zero chance as it was, but wonder who stopped him?

perhaps his mother telling him to stop being such an attention seeking troll all the time
Old 07-22-2024, 07:36 AM   #1922
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

ya know I don't care who runs at this point, just say somethiong ANYTHINHG positive. And keep saying it and keep pounding it. And point out all the shitheads that keep grifting the country.
Old 07-22-2024, 07:46 AM   #1923
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

dola....can they please NOT use "I'm with her" as a campaign slogan again?
Old 07-22-2024, 07:53 AM   #1924
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Over 70 million now
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 08:29 AM   #1925
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:

Article below said Pelosi talked to Joe on Sat and implied her call helped him make the decision. But then Pelosi’s office denied there was even a call. Interesting, I’m sure it’ll all come out with time but I tend to believe she did make a call or communicate to Joe or did it indirectly.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/07/21/pelo...-election.html

An 84 year old telling an 82 year old not to run for re-election when she ran for re-election at 83 tells you everything you need to know about this stupid country.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 09:03 AM   #1926
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The misogyny of the GOP is going to bury them. The personal attacks on Harris are not going to sit well with women.
Old 07-22-2024, 09:13 AM   #1927
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Matthew Yglesias writes a blog and made a good point about whether the liberal faction of the Democratic party is going to allow Harris to moderate her image in ways she needs to, to combat the perception that she's a CA liberal and become more electable to the general population. Trump's "allowed to do that" score is off the charts because he can take abortion off the table or speak kindly about EVs to gain Elon's money, and the GOP doesn't blink. But Hillary was partially sunk by the lefty whining and Biden ran on a "unity" message in response. Harris has to moderate but also keep the lefties from getting pissed she's not selling them out. She can't win otherwise.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 09:14 AM   #1928
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
An 84 year old telling an 82 year old not to run for re-election when she ran for re-election at 83 tells you everything you need to know about this stupid country.

To be fair, she is a helluva a lot more lucid than Biden, not a high bar, but even more so than he was 4 years ago.

Point remains though, nobody past the age of retirement should be in politics at any level.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 10:06 AM   #1929
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Over 70 million now

70 million...spiders?
Old 07-22-2024, 10:07 AM   #1930
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
To be fair, she is a helluva a lot more lucid than Biden, not a high bar, but even more so than he was 4 years ago.

Point remains though, nobody past the age of retirement should be in politics at any level.

Thankfully Republicans want to do away with retirement.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 10:08 AM   #1931
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

what i found total bullshit was seeing an article saying Pelosi says biden will probably drop out this weekend. That was horrible. SO humiliating thing to post. She should NOT EVER talk to the press saying shit like this as if it's her decision. THat was really disgusting
Old 07-22-2024, 11:54 AM   #1932
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
what i found total bullshit was seeing an article saying Pelosi says biden will probably drop out this weekend. That was horrible. SO humiliating thing to post. She should NOT EVER talk to the press saying shit like this as if it's her decision. THat was really disgusting

She probably had a conversation with him where he agreed to drop out later but she was afraid he’d forget so she put it out there so he had to stick to his word. I’m just guessing. It’s pretty clear the party was pretty floored with his mental decline once he stopped being able to hide it.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 12:05 PM   #1933
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Matthew Yglesias writes a blog and made a good point about whether the liberal faction of the Democratic party is going to allow Harris to moderate her image in ways she needs to, to combat the perception that she's a CA liberal and become more electable to the general population. Trump's "allowed to do that" score is off the charts because he can take abortion off the table or speak kindly about EVs to gain Elon's money, and the GOP doesn't blink. But Hillary was partially sunk by the lefty whining and Biden ran on a "unity" message in response. Harris has to moderate but also keep the lefties from getting pissed she's not selling them out. She can't win otherwise.

Hillary was sunk by being a really shitty and unlikable politician for 30 years. I don't know why we need to keep making excuses for her 8 years after her failure.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:10 PM   #1934
Atocep
Coordinator

Jared Moskowtz's questioning of the secret service director shows there's not going to be any accountability. She refused to commit to firing anyone if the investigation shows who was at fault for the breakdowns and wouldn't even commit to a hypothetical resignation if the assassination attempt had been successful.

Biden needs to fire her.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 12:18 PM   #1935
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
She probably had a conversation with him where he agreed to drop out later but she was afraid he’d forget so she put it out there so he had to stick to his word. I’m just guessing. It’s pretty clear the party was pretty floored with his mental decline once he stopped being able to hide it.

I think it had more to do with his poll numbers.

If his mental decline were that bad, they'd be asking him to resign.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 07-22-2024 at 12:18 PM.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 12:23 PM   #1936
Ksyrup

I understand why the GOP is going after Biden, but it's pretty easy to make the argument that bring both president and a candidate is a lot, plus this is also about whether he could be president in 2027 or 28. It could, but doesn't have to, have anything to do with his fitness to be president today.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-22-2024, 12:23 PM   #1937
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post

The sad thing is the Democrats have probably their strongest stable of candidates they've had in decades. Just loaded with young, popular Governors. If Biden had stepped aside earlier, it would have been a really good primary and Dems would be incredibly strong.

For VP, I think I've decided I want Beshear. Pritzker would be good too but I don't think the establishment would accept him. Shapiro would be strong but has more risk. Beshear is also really good in interviews and speaking to the public. He'd destroy Vance in a debate and be someone you could send around the country talking in the Rust Belt and more rural areas. Just listen to this answer and remember he's in Kentucky and it worked.

Old 07-22-2024, 12:24 PM   #1938
Atocep
Coordinator

Tim Burchett blames the assassination attempt on DEI hires.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:32 PM   #1939
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think it had more to do with his poll numbers.

If his mental decline were that bad, they'd be asking him to resign.

There was an article that came out yesterday in WSJ or Politico over the weekend that said the Biden campaign had not done internal polling in 2 months. They got back results the other day and he was just getting destroyed everywhere. Was like tied in Maine, New Hampshire, Minnesota, and New Mexico. Only up 3% in New Jersey.

Joe's a narcissist and I can't fathom that the decision was based on a talk from Nancy Pelosi. I think it had more to do with him realizing this was going to be a humiliating defeat and it was time to bail and leave the mess he caused for everyone else.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:40 PM   #1940
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Take it for what it is but Kamala's team is promoting this interview and the Lt Gov in Kentucky said they're ready to take over. Sure sounds like he's the frontrunner and he's been going hard at JD Vance.

Old 07-22-2024, 12:47 PM   #1941
Atocep
Coordinator

JD Vance is probably going to turn out to be a bad pick. Trump likely thought he had the election in the bag so it was safe to double down on maga. VP picks usually don't matter but presidential candidates usually try to mitigate their weaknesses and go with safe picks.

The dems having a more balanced ticket and a much stronger VP may end up helping.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:50 PM   #1942
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I am sure that the GOP will get its feet back under it, but I am surprised by how Biden deciding to not contend for the nomination seemingly caught them by surprise.

It was all anyone was talking about since the debate.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 01:10 PM   #1943
Ksyrup

Beshear is excellent. He is the kind of politician who puts aside politics in times of crisis. On a national level we may be beyond people being able to claim a president or VP from the other side without thinking they are the devil, but he managed to do that in this state. Of course it helped he was from here and his dad was governor.

I almost think he's too nice for 2020s national politics. During COVID people were calling him Howdy Dowdy and Mr. Rodgers because of how Pollyanna he was about being on "Team KY" and doing what's right for your neighbors. You know, those antiquated concepts that don't play well in the media and with most people who want mean-spirited entertainment from their politicians.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-22-2024 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2024, 01:10 PM   #1944
GrantDawg

Quote:
The sad thing is the Democrats have probably their strongest stable of candidates they've had in decades. Just loaded with young, popular Governors. If Biden had stepped aside earlier, it would have been a really good primary and Dems would be incredibly strong.

You are not wrong there. I doubt that Harris would have came out of a primary. She might have. You can't under estimate the benefit of being the sitting Vice President, but I do believe people for the most part want a change of guard. Someone like Beshears or Whitmer or Mark Kelly would have been interesting.

Old 07-22-2024, 01:13 PM   #1945
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I am sure that the GOP will get its feet back under it, but I am surprised by how Biden deciding to not contend for the nomination seemingly caught them by surprise.

It was all anyone was talking about since the debate.

Trump probably assumed most people are like him and he couldn't fathom stepping aside, so why would Joe? But yeah, it seems the campaign only started thinking about how to take on Harris (or anyone other than Joe) within the past 10 days or so.
Old 07-22-2024, 01:14 PM   #1946
Ksyrup

When he starts claiming "fraud" and whining that they have to start over with campaigning against a new candidate, you know they wanted Joe to stay in and are scared of the potential upside of Harris or anyone other than Joe.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-22-2024 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-22-2024, 01:16 PM   #1947
GrantDawg

Quote:

Joe's a narcissist and I can't fathom that the decision was based on a talk from Nancy Pelosi. I think it had more to do with him realizing this was going to be a humiliating defeat and it was time to bail and leave the mess he caused for everyone else.

I don't think that word means what you think it means. Trump is a narcissist. He can only see the world in Trump colors. If Trump was handed bad polls, he wouldn't believe them. Nothing Trump ever does is wrong, and he always wins or someone cheated.
Biden has a big ego, but anyone that believes they can be president has. He for sure has a good bit of hubris to think a year ago he had four more years in him. But if he was a narcissist he would have never stepped down.
Old 07-22-2024, 01:18 PM   #1948
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
When he starts claiming "fraud" and whining that they have to start over with campaigning against a new candidate, you know they wanted Joe to stay in and are scared of the potential upside of Harris or anyone other than Joe.

The spotlight has suddenly shifted to him being the old candidate. His campaign got the media and everyone so worked up over Joe's age that it might bite him in the ass now that Joe is out. He also has to figure out how to attack a black woman without damaging support from a group he's spent a lot of effort courting.
Old 07-22-2024, 01:39 PM   #1949
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Stephen Miller was having a meltdown on Fox News the other night. They went from having this in the bag to it being a race.
Old 07-22-2024, 02:02 PM   #1950
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

80 million