Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #1901
Logan
Head Coach

I know Byrd has a PED suspension in his history, but he was awesome to watch play. Just intense effort all around. Wish him and Buck success with the Pirates.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #1902
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ditto. I am glad Byrd is going somewhere where he can make a different in the stretch run and postseason.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #1903
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You know anything about the 2B/SS going to the Mets, Dilson Herrera?

I think he's a pretty good return for two pending free agents.

He's a small guy and doesn't have the range to play SS, but played full season A-ball at age 19 and held his own. Tim Williams of Pirates Prospects rates him as B grade hitter and he received a legitimate signing bonus ($220K) for an international player. Williams thinks he is right around the #10 prospect in a pretty top heavy Pirates' system. Mayo and Sickels both had him at #9 prior to the season.

He's obviously a long way from the majors, but looks like he could develop into a 15 HR-type second baseman if he stays on track. I'm going to guess that the PTBNL is going to be an upper level arm that is closer to the majors, but with less upside. Possibly one of the SP currently on the DL like Kyle McPherson or Phil Irwin (guys that are good enough to be 4/5 starters on an average staff and probably would have pitched a lot this year for the Pirates if not for the injuries).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #1904
Swaggs
Coordinator

Just saw this extra bit from Keith Law:

Quote:
For about five weeks of Byrd and Buck, the Mets get a very solid second-base prospect in Herrera. Playing full-time at age 19 in the low Class A Sally League, Herrera has shown somewhat surprising pop, with a .156 isolated power and 41 extra-base hits in 109 games. He's got a simple, quiet approach, just loading his hands a little higher than he should, with adequate hip rotation for 15-20 homer power at his peak.

He's an above-average runner whose speed hasn't translated into baserunning value, and is presently a fringy defender at second but should develop into an above-average glove given time and instruction. I'd call him a future everyday second baseman, a solid regular with a chance to be an above-average one.

I'm told by multiple sources that the Mets will receive another player to be named who is a "solid" piece, enough to make this deal even better for New York. Given how little sense there seemed to be in retaining Byrd at the July trade deadline, this is a very positive result for Mets fans after this week's other less fortunate news.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #1905
SackAttack
Head Coach

You owe Kershaw a run, A.J. Ellis. Friggin' catcher's interference.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #1906
spleen1015
Coordinator

O's are done. No magic this year.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #1907
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Hunter Pence hit an absolutely ridiculous shot in Colorado tonight. Cleared the entire left field bleachers and bounced off a brick wall next to a burger stand. Estimated at 476 feet it's the longest HR of the season so far.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #1908
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Getting to feel the Reds season is destined for massive disappointment one way or the other. I wonder if they could blow the wildcard losing to the Cards and Pirates a lot down the stretch.

That would be fine with me, tbh. They feel like they are just going through the motions at this point.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #1909
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Reds are reminding me a lot of the Boudreau Caps teams.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #1910
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

This was a balk according to the worst umpire in MLB. I'm sure the fact it was a night game that had gone into extra innings didn't play any part in Bucknor arbitrarily ending the game for...what?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #1911
Danny
Head Coach

Wow, I didnt see him move in the slightest.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #1912
Logan
Head Coach

I'll need to see a side/batter's view shot before agreeing. He could have twitched his glove, no?

edit: I found a side-view replay. It looked like there may have been a slight twitch of his shoulder as he shook off the sign, but to call that seems pretty bad.

Last edited by Logan : 08-28-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #1913
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

This was a balk according to the worst umpire in MLB. I'm sure the fact it was a night game that had gone into extra innings didn't play any part in Bucknor arbitrarily ending the game for...what?

Top of the 10th. Didn't end the game.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #1914
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Top of the 10th. Didn't end the game.
No, but it pushed it significantly in that direction.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #1915
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
That would be fine with me, tbh. They feel like they are just going through the motions at this point.

Very much so. Really just uninspired.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #1916
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

I get being down about a team's apparent attitude. But why on Earth would you be fine with them not even making an effort to get into the playoffs? If that's how you feel, I'll trade you my Angels team for your Reds team and I will be perfectly happy to have something to cheer for in September this year, even if they are going through the motions.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 08-28-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #1917
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I get being down about a team's apparent attitude. But why on Earth would you be fine with them not even making an effort to get into the playoffs? If that's how you feel, I'll trade you my Angels team for your Reds team and I will be perfectly happy to have something to cheer for in September this year, even if they are going through the motions.

For the off chance that Dusty would be fired.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #1918
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For the off chance that Dusty would be fired.

I guess I get that. That's a tough call, though. Just getting into the playoffs gives you a chance. In baseball more than any other sport, a team can get hot at the right time and win it all, and all you need to do is get in to get a chance at that.

The Angels are now going to miss their fourth straight playoffs after dominating the AL West for years, and our prospects for the future with this farm system and these contracts is not bright.

We do have a good manager, though.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #1919
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I really want the Reds to get to the playoffs, no question. I don't think they'll make a run, but who knows.

The window is already closing on this team. They can't afford to keep Choo or add any big bat, so they'll almost certainly start off next year, on paper, worse than they end the year. You can't hope to miss the playoffs ever.

Last edited by JPhillips : 08-28-2013 at 03:46 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #1920
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Puig benched in game, anyone know what he did?
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #1921
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post

Puig being Manny?

Old 08-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #1922
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not much I can find so far

Quote:
Puig was 0 for 1 with a walk against Edwin Jackson and didn’t engage in any unusual behavior on the field. After being removed to the game, Puig calmly returned to the Dodgers’ dugout and took a seat on the topmost bench.

It’s possible that Don Mattingly wasn’t pleased when Puig didn’t slide into second base in the first inning when Carl Crawford hit a ground ball to second base, an eventual 4-6-3 double play. Puig also made a pair of one-handed “snatch” catches in right field, though he’s been making those regularly in his rookie season.

It’s also possible that Puig did something between innings, away from the field or dugout, that warranted his benching.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #1923
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I really want the Reds to get to the playoffs, no question. I don't think they'll make a run, but who knows.

The window is already closing on this team. They can't afford to keep Choo or add any big bat, so they'll almost certainly start off next year, on paper, worse than they end the year. You can't hope to miss the playoffs ever.

They can afford Choo assuming they dump Arroyo's salary into him.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #1924
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pirates PTBNL to Mets sounds like it may be Vic Black. A hard throwing righty that can play in the majors right away and hits in the high 90s on the radar gun. He's another pretty good piece to get for two guys that are pending free agents.

He's a guy that can probably be a solid bullpen arm next year and that could potentially be a ninth inning guy down the road. He's had some injury problems, so that and control are his only obstacles.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #1925
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Pirates PTBNL to Mets sounds like it may be Vic Black. A hard throwing righty that can play in the majors right away and hits in the high 90s on the radar gun. He's another pretty good piece to get for two guys that are pending free agents.

He's a guy that can probably be a solid bullpen arm next year and that could potentially be a ninth inning guy down the road. He's had some injury problems, so that and control are his only obstacles.

A position prospect and a hard throwing, late inning arm are exactly what the Mets could use in a deal like this.

It's nice to see Alderson hold onto his pieces and leverage them for more than would have normally been expected and kudos to Huntington for using his farm system's depth to improve the club when it's in position to be a legit contender.

Good deal all around IMO.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #1926
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:

Not with raises other player are due. Unless the payroll increases.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #1927
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Hustle
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #1928
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Maybe for a year, but they won't sign Choo for less than five years and that would mean they are unable to keep Latos, Bailey and Leake. That's already assuming Cueto isn't resigned.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #1929
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Not with raises other player are due. Unless the payroll increases.

A really quick look has Bruce, Phillips, Cueto and Latos getting almost 9 mil in raises next year.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #1930
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

I get that, but do you want to go through 2-3 more years of Dusty-led teams that can dominate bad teams in the regular season but can't do dick in the playoffs? They remind me of the Astros Killer B's teams that were always just good enough to get in. They did make a WS IIRC, but got killed once there.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #1931
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Had to do with outfield play. I had the tweet saved to my clipboard, but I apparently overwrote that.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #1932
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Rangers have just abused King Felix this season. He didn't make it out of the 4th inning in today's game. He's 0-4 in 5 starts against Texas, with an ERA above 6.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #1933
rowech
Pro Starter

Maybe the Reds still care?!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #1934
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I wish the Reds could have won the series, but there is some satisfaction with knocking the hell out of Wainwright.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #1935
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'll take two out of three anytime.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #1936
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I wish the Reds could have won the series, but there is some satisfaction with knocking the hell out of Wainwright.

I didn't realize there was any disdain for Wainwright. Is it based on his success or something he did? I know McGwire and LaRussa and Chris Carpenter are pretty arrogant but was unaware Wainwright had that reputation. Of course I also didn't realize everyone hated Joe Buck so maybe I am more of a homer than I realize

Lifelong Bengals fan (still) and a Red's fan until we moved to St. Louis so I'm not trolling or anything here, just interested.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #1937
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I didn't realize there was any disdain for Wainwright. Is it based on his success or something he did? I know McGwire and LaRussa and Chris Carpenter are pretty arrogant but was unaware Wainwright had that reputation. Of course I also didn't realize everyone hated Joe Buck so maybe I am more of a homer than I realize

Lifelong Bengals fan (still) and a Red's fan until we moved to St. Louis so I'm not trolling or anything here, just interested.

I feel the same way as the OP. But for me, it's the fact that we very well could see Wainwright in the one game playoff, or later on in the playoffs.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #1938
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
A position prospect and a hard throwing, late inning arm are exactly what the Mets could use in a deal like this.

It's nice to see Alderson hold onto his pieces and leverage them for more than would have normally been expected and kudos to Huntington for using his farm system's depth to improve the club when it's in position to be a legit contender.

Good deal all around IMO.

Yeah this seems like a great return, if you buy into what the scouts say. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #1939
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

Nothing personal towards Wainwright, I just like bashing the Cards #1.

When I looked, I was surprised by the success the Reds have had against him. In my head he was more dominant than he has been.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #1940
Easy Mac

So was there any downside to Byrd taking PEDs and being suspended? He's had easily the best season of his career, he got traded to a contending team, and he'll likely make far more money next year than he would beforehand. He basically went from borderline out of baseball to the chance to be a starter on a contending team next year.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #1941
spleen1015
Coordinator

Old 08-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #1942
Easy Mac

The Marlins took your signature to heart
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #1943
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Hustle
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #1944
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

hold up.... so we traded for David DeJesus,.. then traded him again 3 days later? wtf

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #1945
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

CBS reporting Morneau to Pirates
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #1946
Danny
Head Coach

They've been getting told Yes too often, so they needed Morneau....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #1947
Swaggs
Coordinator

Morneau and Sanchez should give the Bucs a pretty nice lefty/righty combo at first base. Morneau has an .831 OPS vs righties and Sanchez has a .908 OPS vs lefties.

Pushes Garrett Jones to the bench, improving that area, as well.

I always thought Alex Presley got yo-yoed around a little too much, so hopefully he can get a chance to establish himself as a big leaguer. I think he can be a solid 4th OF or platoon option vs righties, but McCutchen and Marte look to be fixtures in LF and CF for the next several years and they still have guys like Jose Tabata, Travis Snyder, and Andrew Lambo to work with (I doubt Garrett Jones or Marlon Byrd return next season) , so he isn't a huge loss.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #1948
tarcone
Coordinator

Pirates are serious

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #1949
MrBug708
Head Coach

That throw by Puig..