Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #1901
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
How do you feel when teams are tied and need a Game 163? Eliminate that too?

Not at all, that is part of the season, not a playoff. In my mind there is a difference.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #1902
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's not 1970 anymore. People don't get off work at 5, get home by 530, have dinner at 6 and settle in for a nice leisurely evening in front of the television in the family room. That's not the life of most people.

Yeah, at 6:00 I'm still down at the rec center watchin' folks swim.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #1903
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Not at all, that is part of the season, not a playoff. In my mind there is a difference.

It doesn't appear to be a meaningful difference. In both cases its a one game playoff (Game 163 is technically called a 'one game playoff') to see who gets to go to the Division Series (or, the Wild Card Game).
Old 10-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #1904
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Wait...wouldn't the ratios staying about the same for 1980/1990/2000/2010 imply that TV watching is fairly steady, but people are just watching other things? The ratio was much larger in 1970, even though the share was about the same; I would think this would point to a large increase in TV watching in the 70s, which then leveled off. I would think that if fewer were watching TV overall, you would see the WS rating go down steeper than the share.

ETA: That is to say, if 19.4% of the country was watching in 1970 and that was 53% of all TVs watching something, then that means 36.6% of the country was watching something. In 1980, that jumped to 58.5% of the country watching something...and for 2010, 60% of the country was watching something. No?

Yeah, my back of the envelope math (and granted I'm a lawyer) based on the total viewer numbers on the table linked would seem to agree with you. Roughly steady TV viewership (145 million television households in 1990 up to 170 million television households in 2010 with 84 million and 102 million sets on (for the share rating) at that time) with baseball a smaller percentage.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #1905
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
speaking of Game 163s, what I don't get is why, if there are two teams that are tied, they play an extra game instead of going on head to head record.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #1906
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Wait...wouldn't the ratios staying about the same for 1980/1990/2000/2010 imply that TV watching is fairly steady, but people are just watching other things? The ratio was much larger in 1970, even though the share was about the same; I would think this would point to a large increase in TV watching in the 70s, which then leveled off. I would think that if fewer were watching TV overall, you would see the WS rating go down steeper than the share.

There's some skewing of things by the sample years I pulled for convenience, a couple of those were (IIRC) a bit outlier'ish.

Or maybe I did my eyeball math wrong. I'll have to look at that later.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #1907
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post

Knowing that he filmed himself with underage girls makes that commercial really creepy.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #1908
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Grand slam.....sigh.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #1909
miked
College Starter

Maybe that will straighten Volquez's hat.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #1910
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sigh.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #1911
kingfc22
Head Coach

Woooo!!! Go Brandon's!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #1912
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Sigh....

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #1913
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well that was anti-climatic compared to last night.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #1914
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Madison Bumgarner is a treat to watch.

Edit: Also, I still can't believe, despite numerous tweets/disclaimers/research by SackAttack, that Brandon Crawford is the first SS to ever hit a postseason grand slam.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 10-02-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #1915
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:04 AM   #1916
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
As for the lengths of these games, I like following the playoffs, but I can't really watch very much of it anymore. I can't be alone. One season I watched every Red Sox playoff game and a bunch of the other games.....it could me quite a while to recover. 4-5 hours a night, weeks at a time, who can do that? I've never attempted it again, even in years where the Red Sox were in the playoffs. The TV ratings are still decent all things considered, but I think there's a lot of passive viewing. The TV is on, people are checking in here and there.

I know I only was half watching the game last night because I knew I wasn't going to make it to the end. The Red Sox are one of the worst offenders, along with the Yankees. My wife and I were talking about game times when we were at Fenway last week and I just randomly counted out loud during one Big Papi AB. It was 25 seconds between pitches with all of his damn preening. In a meaningless game in September between the 5th place Red Sox and the 4th place Rays at a time in the game that wasn't dramatic or intense. It's just pathetic.

I love baseball's slow, leisurely pace. Always have. The game is legitimately a 2-2:30 long game when you go through the necessary motions. But to me, it's the extra half hour or hour of inaction that make the game so much more unwatchable.

SI

Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #1917
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I know I only was half watching the game last night because I knew I wasn't going to make it to the end. The Red Sox are one of the worst offenders, along with the Yankees. My wife and I were talking about game times when we were at Fenway last week and I just randomly counted out loud during one Big Papi AB. It was 25 seconds between pitches with all of his damn preening. In a meaningless game in September between the 5th place Red Sox and the 4th place Rays at a time in the game that wasn't dramatic or intense. It's just pathetic.

I love baseball's slow, leisurely pace. Always have. The game is legitimately a 2-2:30 long game when you go through the necessary motions. But to me, it's the extra half hour or hour of inaction that make the game so much more unwatchable.

SI

There's a rule on the books already to keep that in check. They're supposed to not leave the batter's box once the at-bat begins. Something as simple as that would drop 15-20 minutes easily, if not more.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #1918
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Dola

Fun picture from a fraternity brother of mine after the Wild Card win. Moose was shaking up his bottle as my buddy took the photo, resulting in a collateral fire photo.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #1919
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I find all of these crazy beer/champagne celebrations a bit much. I can understand doing this when you make the playoffs. So few teams make it and the season is super long, but doing this after you win a one game "series"? And then when you win the next one?

Maybe it's just because I'm used to hockey where they don't anything like this unless they actually win the Cup.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #1920
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Stat time: The Royals have a four game winning streak in the playoffs.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #1921
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I find all of these crazy beer/champagne celebrations a bit much. I can understand doing this when you make the playoffs. So few teams make it and the season is super long, but doing this after you win a one game "series"? And then when you win the next one?

Maybe it's just because I'm used to hockey where they don't anything like this unless they actually win the Cup.

I think that gives more credence to my view that the WildCard Game is analogous to Game 163. It's more of a play in game than it is really "the playoffs".
Old 10-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #1922
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think that gives more credence to my view that the WildCard Game is analogous to Game 163. It's more of a play in game than it is really "the playoffs".

But they also went all bananas with the champagne when they made the wildcard, didn't they?

Maybe not.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #1923
kingfc22
Head Coach

I agree. Do the champagne dance when you make the playoffs, but you shouldn't do it after winning the wild card game. Come on....
Old 10-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #1924
stevew
Hall Of Famer

As much as I like my team, I'm kind of happy the Pittsburgh Bandwagon thing will shut down.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #1925
korme
Go Reds

This is hilarious: Fans Of The TV Show Castle Angry At Sports
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #1926
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

I particularly love that it's for reruns- not even first run of Castle

That said, I'm not going to make it through tonight. I have a plane to get on tomorrow and a lot of work to get done since I'm going to miss Monday for the flight back

SI

Old 10-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #1927
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Let's f'n GO!!!!!! Gonna play two in KC!
Old 10-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #1928
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Let's f'n GO!!!!!! Gonna play two in KC!

They just played the radio call from the Royals announcer of the homerun. It was the most lifeless call I have ever heard if a big spot.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #1929
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
As for the lengths of these games, I like following the playoffs, but I can't really watch very much of it anymore. I can't be alone. One season I watched every Red Sox playoff game and a bunch of the other games.....it could me quite a while to recover. 4-5 hours a night, weeks at a time, who can do that? I've never attempted it again, even in years where the Red Sox were in the playoffs. The TV ratings are still decent all things considered, but I think there's a lot of passive viewing. The TV is on, people are checking in here and there.

I can't watch it either. Regular season games need to clock in at around 2:30. Playoff games at 3-3:15. I'd watch if it it was my team in its current state, but I'm just not committing 4 hours to other teams. Too many options for home entertainment these days.

I also don't know how people regularly go to games. If you're hitting up a 7pm start, you're probably leaving the house at 6pm and not getting home till midnight. Who has 6 hours a day to commit to going to games? Maybe that's a reason why stadiums look empty every time I turn a game on.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #1930
RainMaker
General Manager

I'll add I think the NBA does it great. I've had season tickets for 8 years now and a 7pm tip-off means I'm out in under 2.5 hours. The playoff games are a little longer (15-20 minutes), but that's understandable. I'm walking distance from Wrigley and don't bother hitting up games because the extra hour isn't worth it (make it 2 hours if Edwin Jackson is pitching).

I don't know if it matters to baseball or not. It does seem like the fanbase is getting older. I rarely see kids out in baseball gear. Maybe that changes at some point but I have to wonder what we're looking at in 20-25 years.

Last edited by RainMaker : 10-03-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:23 AM   #1931
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
There's a rule on the books already to keep that in check. They're supposed to not leave the batter's box once the at-bat begins. Something as simple as that would drop 15-20 minutes easily, if not more.

I'd also add in:

Relief Pitcher warmups reduced - every team has a bullpen where guys can warm up. New pitcher should get 3-4 pitches and the game should get going. A new QB in football doesn't get to make 20 throws at the 50-yard line when he enters a game.

No warmups for pinch hitters - every team has a batting cage in back now. When you announce a pinch hitter he doesn't need an extra 3 minutes to loosen up. If he hasn't loosened up, tough shit.

Catcher gets 1 trip to the mound an inning - I see guys going out to the mound 4-5 times during big innings. Enough already. Work out hand signals or something during the endless downtime you guys have during the season.

These 3 would knock 5-10 minutes off a game.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #1932
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'll add I think the NBA does it great. I've had season tickets for 8 years now and a 7pm tip-off means I'm out in under 2.5 hours.

The NBA is timed... baseball is not. I don't know what more you can expect.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #1933
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'd also add in:

Relief Pitcher warmups reduced - every team has a bullpen where guys can warm up. New pitcher should get 3-4 pitches and the game should get going. A new QB in football doesn't get to make 20 throws at the 50-yard line when he enters a game.

No warmups for pinch hitters - every team has a batting cage in back now. When you announce a pinch hitter he doesn't need an extra 3 minutes to loosen up. If he hasn't loosened up, tough shit.

Catcher gets 1 trip to the mound an inning - I see guys going out to the mound 4-5 times during big innings. Enough already. Work out hand signals or something during the endless downtime you guys have during the season.

These 3 would knock 5-10 minutes off a game.

I agree with 2 and 3. Disagree with 1, I think we have enough injuries to pitchers, let them warm up if need be.

I think they need to enforce the batter out of the box rule and have some kind of rule about pitchers leaving the mound. We'll never get a pitch clock so anyone who wants that can forget about it.

Watching the bottom of the 8th in the Royals- As game the other night was painful. The pitcher stepped of for at least 30 seconds between each pitch.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #1934
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

and to me that is the beauty of baseball. It's not over till it's over. They just need to find a way to make it over faster.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #1935
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

What does that have to do with finding ways to shorten the average length of a baseball game? I understand it's not an exact science and a 9-7 game that goes 12 innings will play out longer (just as a double OT basketball game does). But the goal should be to shorten the average length of a baseball game.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #1936
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
But the goal should be to shorten the average length of a baseball game.

I agree, but saying the NBA does it great is more in spite of the NBA than because of it and is largely due to the nature of the game itself. The long-standing joke is it takes 10-20 minutes to play the last minute of a close NBA game because of all the timeouts teams get. So they have their struggles as well with certain aspects.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #1937
Warhammer
Pro Starter

There is a time between pitches in the rules if I remember. Enforce that rule and allow the batter only one chance to step out of the box during an at bat.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #1938
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My dream World Series this year is StL-KC. I like historical match ups which was why I usually pick StL and Bos/Det. I would like to include SF in there but not much there unless you go pre-war.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #1939
korme
Go Reds

Make 7 inning games guys, simple
Old 10-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #1940
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Though the average time per game isn't THAT much longer than other sporting events (aside from soccer):

Baseball Prospectus | Statistics | Custom Statistics Reports: Game Information League Average

The average baseball game in 2014 was 3.13 hrs.

Though, granted, it has been going up. I'd imagine a lot of that, though, isn't because of batter stepping out, etc, but the emphasis on taking pitches instead of being too aggressive at the plate.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #1941
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
My dream World Series this year is StL-KC. I like historical match ups which was why I usually pick StL and Bos/Det. I would like to include SF in there but not much there unless you go pre-war.

I will admit to a small bias but I would love KC/Stl. Our tailgates at Mizzou are split about 50/50 and that would be a fantastic day with a Mizzou game and the World Series afterwards. After that I would like Stl/LA. Chance to play Pujols for the first time and Trout.

KC is definitely my #2 behind the Cards though a lot of my Royals friends have big time little man syndrome about cheering for St Louis.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #1942
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I will admit to a small bias but I would love KC/Stl. Our tailgates at Mizzou are split about 50/50 and that would be a fantastic day with a Mizzou game and the World Series afterwards. After that I would like Stl/LA. Chance to play Pujols for the first time and Trout.

KC is definitely my #2 behind the Cards though a lot of my Royals friends have big time little man syndrome about cheering for St Louis.

If it's STL - KC then I demand a meet up with our KC/STL folks!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #1943
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
They just played the radio call from the Royals announcer of the homerun. It was the most lifeless call I have ever heard if a big spot.

I'm assuming it was Denny Matthews. He's a HOF broadcaster. He's a throwback guy when screaming your head off wasn't required to enhance a big moment. I actually appreciate that at some level. I think both have their place.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #1944
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'm assuming it was Denny Matthews. He's a HOF broadcaster. He's a throwback guy when screaming your head off wasn't required to enhance a big moment. I actually appreciate that at some level. I think both have their place.

I don't know who it was, but it was shit and an insult to the moment. I don't think you need to scream, I despise that hack John Sterling, but at least show some life for what is arguably the biggest hit in the last 29 years of the franchise.

Last edited by Lathum : 10-03-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #1945
miami_fan
Coordinator

Oh Braves Fans

Thoughts?

Fredi Gonzalez staying as Atlanta Braves manager - ESPN
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #1946
miked
College Starter

They must be happy with his move to bay BJ Upton leadoff for half the season in hopes he'd "break out".
Old 10-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #1947
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know who it was, but it was shit and an insult to the moment. I don't think you need to scream, I despise that hack John Sterling, but at least show some life for what is arguably the biggest hit in the last 29 years of the franchise.

I listened to it, and have to agree with you.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #1948
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

I didn't have much hope for the club once he didn't go at the same time Wren did. I have the same amount of no hope now.

edit to add: A blindfolded drunken monkey would have as much chance of putting together a decent batting order as this clueless git does.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-03-2014 at 01:36 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #1949
korme
Go Reds

HOW BOUT DEM ORIOLES
Old 10-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #1950
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
HOW BOUT DEM ORIOLES

The bane of Detroit has been their pitching outside of their starters.