Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2010, 06:47 AM   #151
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Agree one hundred percent. He's been the good solider for six years. Pay the man.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #152
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yep. VW deserves to get paid.

And Moss is fine. I know earlier I was kind of "meh" on him, but that was before I looked at the ratings of the pass defenses they faced on Football Outsiders, and also considered that he was quite clearly not 100% physically this season.

My only point was that he is getting older (that's undeniable) and they need to start considering who's going to slide into that role once he's finished.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #153
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'll be very surprised if Martz is a success next season in Chicago. On the assumption (based on what little I know) that his system relies on timing, complexity and intelligence, I think it's particularly ill-suited for the Bears' current personnel.

For a start, the O-Line is weak, and so the window for complex plays to develop will be very small.

Secondly, Cutler hasn't shown himself to be a terribly accurate or patient passer. I understand he had most of his success in Denver as a roll-out passer, and certainly when he was forced into that in Chicago last season he often looked good.

Thirdly, and most importantly, the Bears' receiving corps is long on physical ability and short on football precision. Greg Olsen and Devin Hester are the two best examples, using their physical abilities to compensate for the crappy routes they run.

So who knows? Everything could click, but I have a feeling this could be a 2-win season. Maybe they can go Empty Cupboard for 2011.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #154
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
My only point was that he is getting older (that's undeniable) and they need to start considering who's going to slide into that role once he's finished.

Almost think you need to consider changing that role somewhat, how many people could fill it. Maybe 2 or 3?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #155
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Almost think you need to consider changing that role somewhat, how many people could fill it. Maybe 2 or 3?

+1.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #156
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Casey Hampton will likely get tagged as well. Dunno what Wilfork played for last year. But the tag for DTs is only around 6M. So either guy could make a good case for being pissed off.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #157
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

i didn't necessarily mean "go find the next randy moss" - more along the lines of "go find a guy to play opposite welker who can burn opposing defenses if they don't cover him."

and the idea behind looking now (in the draft preferably) is that it gives you time to develop the guy
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #158
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Wilfork was still on his 6 year rookie contract. I was shocked he played last year with only a very minor fuss.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #159
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Let's run down all the ways this is a disaster for the Bears:

1. His QB's get blasted a ton, and that's with okay OL's. Chicago does not have an okay OL.

2. He doesn't use his TE's. Chicago's best weapon is a TE.

3. His system takes at least two years to implement. He will be there one year.

4. You need to have smart WR's. I have no idea how smart the Bears WR's are because they are all young.

5. His system leads to a ton of INT's. Jay Cutler already throws a ton of INT's. This could be awesome.

The one positive here is it means Lovie and co. are for sure gone after this year so that is something.
Ugh.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #160
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Ugh.

For as much as pain in the ass Martz can be, the Lions did have their best offensive years under the guy. Kitna threw for over 4,000 yards, Roy Williams had over 1,000 yards receiveing. They didn't win a lot of games because of their incredibly bad defense, but at least they put up some points.

It will definitely be interesting.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #161
dervack
College Prospect

What would make it more interesting would be if the Bears finally install Field Turf for the upcoming season. This a one year move for the Bears and thankfully we'll be looking for a new Coach and OC again next offseason.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #162
Butter
Coordinator

Jesus, this thread is about the Pats in the same way that ALL the college sports threads are about Missouri and the Big 12.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #163
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So Uche Nwaneri tell us how you really feel about Tim Tebow:

Quote:
Jaguars lineman unloads on Tebow
Posted by Mike Florio on February 3, 2010 10:50 PM ET
Plenty of people in Jacksonville would love to see quarterback Tim Tebow become one of the newest members of the Jaguars.

One of them isn't current Jaguars offensive lineman Uche Nwaneri, who has started 28 games over the past two seasons.

In a posting on the team's official message board (our pal Vito Stellino of the Florida Times-Union has confirmed through the team that Nwaneri wrote the item), the three-year veteran was candid in his assessment of the former Florida quarterback.

Here's Nwaneri's five-point breakdown:

"5. He cant throw. PERIOD.

"4. He cant read any coverage other than probably cover 2 or man cov. PERIOD (the only cov. in college lol).

"3. the QB wildcat WILL NOT WORK IN THIS LEAGUE. PERIOD.

"2. He doesnt know how to take a snap from center, nor is he even comfortable enough to.

"1. HE CANT THROW. and thats really something you either have or not, never seen a qb who couldnt ever throw, just all of a sudden be able to throw just because hes now in the NFL."

So there you have it. On the very site owned by the team owned by a man who has made clear his interest in acquiring Tebow's rights, one of the team's fairly important employees has offered a contrary opinion, in very strong terms.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #164
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I wonder if the Pats will take Tebow.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #165
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Why would the Jags take Tebow, anyway? They have a Pro Bowl quarterback.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #166
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Oh, and how come he only ended three of his five sentences with periods?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #167
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

Because they improved their record by 2 wins this year and yet lost 16k in attendance, dropping to 30th in the league ahead of only Detroit & Oakland?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #168
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm torn. On the one hand, drafting Tebow would likely hurt the Jaguars competitively because he has NFL bust written all over him. This would be good since I dislike that team. But drafting Tebow could possibly increase attendance, making it less likely that the team fucks off to L.A./Toronto/London/wherever leaving Miami as the closest AFC team to my county and increasing the amount of times per year I won't have to go to a bar or watch my team on the Internet instead of local TV. Hmm.

Last edited by Big Fo : 02-03-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #169
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Isn't being the 6th best QB in a 16 team conference approaching the "average" range? And is he really even the 6th best? If you threw all the AFC starting QBs into a hat and let teams draft them, he would not go in the top 6. The 3 original QBs, then Roethlesberger, then the two other "pro bowlers" then probably Carson Palmer and Joe Flacco. Now we get to where Garrard gets considered.

Dude was a "pro bowler" because he was willing to show up.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #170
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Isn't being the 6th best QB in a 16 team conference approaching the "average" range?

The lack of sarcasm tags claim another victim.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #171
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

My thoughts exactly.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #172
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Oh, and how come he only ended three of his five sentences with periods?

Good question.

For point 2, I think Mr. Nwaneri is being fair and giving Tebow the benefit of the doubt that he can learn, at some point, to take a snap from center. So, there is some ambiguity there, thus no need for "PERIOD", which he appears to reserve only for very definitive statements.

As to point 1, of Mr. Nwaneri's essay, it's really just a further elaboration of point 5. Also, I believe the all caps "HE CANT THROW" would make "PERIOD" redundant.

I checked "Strunk and White" on that last point and they concur.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #173
molson
General Manager

Tebow's just a project/filler pick, isn't he? He's not actually going to start at QB in the NFL. Someone will think he can be a "versatile" player that will play different positions, but that really never seems to work well.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #174
bhlloy
Coordinator

Not very professional and not very smart, seeing as I'm pretty sure they are going to be teammates next year. Awkward.

But ultimately I can't disagree with anything he said. Tebow had a below average arm in college, never mind the NFL. He's never played under center and the one game he's played in a pro style offense he looked awful. He's not going to be great running the ball in a league where every linebacker and defensive end is faster, stronger and just as big as he is. He's got horrific bust written all over him IF you are drafting him to be a starting QB in this league. If you draft him to do a little bit of everything (QB, wildcat/option, maybe some TE/WR) and design a package based around him he might be useful but is that really worth the #13 pick?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #175
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Yep. I thought that "David Garrard in the Pro Bowl" was enough of a joke that everyone would have known I was being sarcastic -- my bad!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #176
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Good question.

For point 2, I think Mr. Nwaneri is being fair and giving Tebow the benefit of the doubt that he can learn, at some point, to take a snap from center. So, there is some ambiguity there, thus no need for "PERIOD", which he appears to reserve only for very definitive statements.

As to point 1, of Mr. Nwaneri's essay, it's really just a further elaboration of point 5. Also, I believe the all caps "HE CANT THROW" would make "PERIOD" redundant.

I checked "Strunk and White" on that last point and they concur.

The problem is that if further elaboration on point 5 was required, it shouldn't have ended with a PERIOD, right? QUESTION MARK?
Old 02-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #177
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
The problem is that if further elaboration on point 5 was required, it shouldn't have ended with a PERIOD, right? QUESTION MARK?

I think he was just becoming long winded and, for some reason, wanted 5 points instead of 4 and ended up repeating himself, PERIOD.

I have had enough of this Tebow bashing. PERIOD.

It's become a matter of just piling on now. Everyone is saying the same thing:

He can't throw. PERIOD.

Bad mechanics. PERIOD.

Can't read defenses. PERIOD.

Can't take a snap from under center. PERIOD.

Yes, we get it. We understand. None of this is new. It's been around for a while.

At this point, I want to see the guy succeed. While I doubt it would ever happen, I'd love to see Tebow become a successful NFL QB just to rub it in all the face of all of these jack-asses.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #178
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

That horribly slow release is a bigger concern to me than his seemingly below average arm. He is going to be a sitting duck and the defensive backs will be getting a better break towards the ball than the WR with that release.

Put him at TE and lets see what he can do. If he tries to make it as a QB his NFL career will be a short one.

This from someone that likes Tebow and hopes he has some success as a pro.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-04-2010 at 12:31 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #179
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
At this point, I want to see the guy succeed. While I doubt it would ever happen, I'd love to see Tebow become a successful NFL QB just to rub it in all the face of all of these jack-asses.

I can't believe I sort of feel this way, too.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #180
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
I think he was just becoming long winded and, for some reason, wanted 5 points instead of 4 and ended up repeating himself, PERIOD.

It's probably because he started with 5 points, COMMA, and counted down from there. PERIOD. Then when he couldn' APOSTROPHE t think of a fifth point and didn't want to re- HYPHEN number the whole thing, COMMA, he just repeated his first point.

PERIOD.

WHAT DO YOU CALL THAT THING THAT LOOKS LIKE A P WITH TWO LINES THAT MEANS THE END OF A PARAGRAPH? PUT ONE HERE PLEASE! exclamation point
Old 02-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #181
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

I might, except he's going all Eric Crouch with his "I want to be a QB, period". If his attitude was "I want to be the best possible NFL player I can be", I'd be all for him, as I suspect he'll be a better Slash-type weapon than Kordell Stewart ever was. Running the wildcat (where he's a threat to both run and pass), splitting out wide as a TE or receiver, fitting the H-back role, being the backup QB for the team, ... I'd love to see him on the Patriots in that type of role. But if he maintains that "QB or bust!" approach, the attitude alone will get him in trouble in the NFL.

Someone desperate will give it a whirl though.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #182
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Pats fired their defensive coordinator, Dean Pees.

That's all well and good, but maybe they should replace the magic 8 ball calling their offensive plays.

Maybe it is semantics and depends on which source but I thought and read out here that Pees resigned from the Pats. In anycase, I did not thing his schemes were the problem but the retirements of a number of players plus Hobbs leaving back a year or so ago and particularly Seymour being dumped. Plus, the Pats did allow the 5th fewest points which most teams would love to have been able to say.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #183
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
LT is pretty sure his time with the Chargers is done:

Tomlinson says he won't be back with Bolts - SignOnSanDiego.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #184
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Let me be the first person to predict he'll end up in New England.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #185
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

GOOD LORD EVERYTHING IN HERE IS ABOUT THE PATRIOTS OR BEARS

WHERE MY TEXANS FANS AT
Old 02-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #186
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Actually, the Texans do need a running back....
Old 02-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #187
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Actually, the Texans do need a running back....
Domanick Davis or Domanick Williams or whatever the hell his name is can't be very busy right now. Maybe they can bring him back.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #188
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
WHERE MY TEXANS FANS AT

Maybe this will bring some out of the woodwork:

Last edited by cartman : 02-05-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #189
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Maybe this will bring some out of the woodwork:

I don't know about out, but it's brought me into the woodwork.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #190
dervack
College Prospect

In the 2nd least shocking move of the offseason, Bears have named Rod Marinelli as DC.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #191
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

BEARS AGAIN GRR

WHERE MY SEAHAWKS FAN AT
Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #192
cartman
Death Herald

I think I talked myself into the Texans camp
Old 02-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #193
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
BEARS AGAIN GRR

WHERE MY SEAHAWKS FAN AT

You rang?

What? It's still beats checking the net for news about the Edmonton Oilers
Old 02-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #194
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
WHERE MY TEXANS FANS AT

I think they jumped on the Colts bandwagon.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #195
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

If Tebow insist on playing QB and flames out, maybe he'll make an updated commercial with his mom?

He needs to go somewhere he won't have to play for 3 seasons if he's going to play QB. He is a day 2....er I guess day 3 now...pick.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #196
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Seahawks? with good ole Petey? Bwahahahahahaha
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #197
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

A look at the free agent QB list. Really not much to look at.

2010 Free Agency Primer: Quarterbacks -- NFL FanHouse

Vick admits to basically mailing in this season.

Michael Vick admits on Sports Radio he didn't... | Gather
Old 02-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #198
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean's article
The saber-rattling has begun. Smith was asked during Super Bowl week about the possibility of readying his union for a lockout in 2011. "On a scale of 1 to 10," Smith said. "it's a 14."

Oh, whew. I was worried it would be a 15. Or a 20. THEN it would be time to freak out.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #199
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

He does not admit to mailing in this season.

He admits to not giving 100% to preparing while in Atlanta due to some combination of relying on his natural talents and smoking pot.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #200
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
A look at the free agent QB list. Really not much to look at.

2010 Free Agency Primer: Quarterbacks -- NFL FanHouse

That Vick story is where he talks about not doing all he could in Atlanta to grow as a QB. He doesn't admit mailing in this last year..

Edit: What Samdari said.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-11-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote