Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2003, 09:13 AM   #151
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

To: [email protected]
Re: Holdouts

Hello -

We had two holdouts to deal with this year:

CB Ike Charlton is in the final year of his contract, started all last season, and is 27 - around the time a player really wants to settle down. Ike is demanding a five year deal, but not worth a lot. He's developed into a solid Nickel or Dime option, and I like signing him to a longer deal, but a five year deal is out of the question. Ultimately, we decide on a three year deal worth 3.8 million with 600k of it in a signing bonus.

I honestly have no idea why FB James Hodgins is holding out. He just finished his first year of a three year contract/ He is just wanting one extra year added. James is 28 years old and likely in his prime. He does start for us, but is isn't excellent. I decide to honor his request for a new contract despite his poor reasoning for wanting a new contract. We strike a deal for 3 years, 2.9 million with a bonus of 390k. This is an extension of one year over the current contract.

Neither move hurts us financially, and both moves satisfy players. Cap Room after dealing with the holdouts - 45.4 million.

-Abe Sargent

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 06:37 PM   #152
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Pre Combine Strategy Meeting

Abe Sargent: Alright, let's begin. Mike?

Mike Ackerly: We have six starting positions in flux. We want to find six starters, either in the draft or through free agency. The positions are Left Guard, Wide Receiver, Right End, Tight End, Cornerback and Strong Safety.

Vic Ketchman: Obviously, some of those positions are more important than others.

Mike: Sure thing. Our priority is as follows. Wide Receiver is our most important hole. Follow that with Right Defensive End then Storng Safety. Cornerback, Tight End, and Left Guard round them out. We can start Wally Williams at Left Guard if we have to, for example.

Monte Kiffin: We pick fourth, so if we have four top choices, we're guaranteed one of them.

Abe: Correct. 16 players this year have definite first round grades. Six of them are in our needed positions. I suggest that we go into the combine studying all six.

Vic: Who are they?

Mike: Receivers Greg George and Craig Campbell will be at the top of our list. Tught End Neil Rasby. Left Guards Gary Thomas and Dontae Renick. And Right End Michael Roberts.

Vic: So we want to scout all six? Eliminate two from contention?

Abe: Exactly.

Vic: Fair enough.

Monte: We need some depth too.

Mike: We need two quarterbacks, two or three half backs, maybe a fullback, and a slew of receivers.

Abe: Let's start with a returner. Who do we have on queue with a great return game?

Mike: I like receiver Phil Barton from Wisconsin. He's not a high body on many people's lists, getting a late round grade. But he is tall enough at 6'1" to show potential.

Monte: I like size on my return men.

Abe: Great, let's scout him. Backup halfbacks?

Mike: Only 14 halfbacks in this class, which puts a premium on them. They may go early as a result. The best runner in the latter groups is Tre Conner, from Air Force. He has a 3rd or 4th round grade, 6'1" frame and amazing power. Poor hands though. Another possibility might be Derek Rogers from Notre Dame. Also a 3rd-th round grade with great power and abavoe average hands. Appears, right now, to be the better deal.

Abe: Let's scout them both.

Vic: Quarterback? That guy from Pittsburgh impressed me more than others.

Mike: He is ranked the last of the draftable quarterbacks. Good body with 6'3" height. Late round grade but has good pass tsrenth and great accuracy. Definite possibility as a project.

Monte: I like his size and accuracy.

Abe: Agreed. What about 2nd round selections for our starting spots?

Mike: There are several options that I like. Receiver Chris Valentine from Ole Miss has great hands and is 6'3". Our scouts say he is a speed receiver, and we'll see.

Vic: Sounds really good.

Mike: Right End Al Shields from USC is big. At 6'7' he is the biggest defensive end in the draft. Has good tackling and a late first-early second grade. For corners, the best of the top three is probably Marvin Lincoln from little NC Central. He's 5'11" and from a small school, so some are down on him, but I like his upside. Above Average tackler.

Monte: By my count that's 13 players. How about later round guards or ends?

Vic: That guy we saw from Arizona State at the football game. Remember Monte, we went out to the game last October cause we were looking for something to do? What was his name.... He could tackle anything.

Mike: Anthony Edwards, Right End from ASU. Late round grade. 6'3", great tackling.

Monte: Oh yeah, that's the guy. He was amazing.

Abe: Let's scout him then.

Mike: And for guard, may I suggest Ed Perry from Texas A&M? 6'7" and good blocking skills with a late round grade.

Abe: That make us fifteen?

Vic: Sure does.

Abe: Alright then, let's reconvene at the combine.

Old 09-16-2003, 07:40 PM   #153
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

First Combine Meeting

Vic:...and that guy is a house! Receivers should not be that stong!

Abe: What's going on now?

Vic: I was at the receiver workout for a while. Three receivers benched 17 or 18 reps, including our boy Craig. All three recorded really fast 40 times too. There are three guys with great speed and great strength. Nasty combination!

Monte: I want one.

Mike: Calm down boys. Here's the rundown on today's players. Of the 15 we scouted, what positon would you like to begin with?

Abe: Let's head straight down the roster positions.

Mike: Alright then, we'll start with quarterback. We looked at Jeff Fulcher from Pitt. Many of our late round players we looked at has serious flaws. Not Jeff. He had a quick release and has acceptable physical stats. I suggest we take a closer look at him tomorrow.

Monte: I like having three good quarterbacks. Danny scared me last year.

Vic: Heheh.

Mike: Next up is the halfback corps we looked at. Tre Conner had more red flags than a Six Flags Amusement Park. Fumbling problems, poor interview, slow speed. No sense spending more time with him. Derek Rogers was pretty good physically but he had a below avergae interview. Want me to keep scouting him?

Abe: Let's finish the reports then take a closer look.

Mike: Sure thing boss.

Vic: How about that Tight End?

Mike: Neil was slower with a 4.93 40 time. Smart kid though. Had a good interview. Proved he has great hands, but we need to see more.

Monte: What about that receiver we heard about?

Mike: Our two first round grades were Greg and Craig. Sounds like a fraternity ski trip, I know. Craig had 4.37 speed, a good interview, and 18 bench reps - the best of any receiver. He seems like a very physical receiver who can break tackles.

Monte: I like him!

Vic: Physical receivers can often end up being good run blockers too.

Abe: Next up is Greg?

Mike: Greg looked good too. Seems to have the best hands of any receiver in the draft. 38" vertical was a pleasant surprise and a 4.40 40 time, which is just where we want our receivers.

Vic: Interview?

Mike: Oh, nothing to write home about, but above average. Craig seems the better option currently, but we should keep scouting.

Abe: Agreed. The other two?

Mike: I don't even want to talk about Phil Barton. Players that bad shouldn't even be allowed on the field and I'd be insulted if we invited him to a workout as an undrafted free agent.

Vic: Damn!

Mike: Now Chris Valentine is decent enough. A Good interview, 4.41 40 time, needs to work on head-eye coordination but made good catches nevertheless.

Abe: Let's see other players before deciding to scout him again.

Mike: Sure. Left Guard is next. Gary Thomas and Dontae Renick both have first round grades. Gary has an above average interview, Dontae was pretty good. Dontae has long arms and used them well in blocking. Gary sets up well in pass protection. Dontae had 32 reps, Gary had 35 reps. Right now, they are neck and neck for the guard spots and need more scouting.

Vic: Sounds good.

Mike: That may sound good but wait. Ed Perry had really bad workouts. And a pretty lousy interview as well.

Abe: Alright, we'll look elsewhere for a guard. Defensive End?

Mike: For a first round pick, I was disappointed. Michael Roberts should have been better. He was fast at 4.53 40 time. Only had a so-so interview, and showed pretty average tackling skills. That's the bad news.

Monte: The good news?

Mike: DE Al Shields, who we were looking for the 2nd round looks great. 4.50 40 time beats Robert's only strength. 29 reps is good for an end and an above average interview. He was also an explosive tackler today on the field. I really like him so far, and I'd like to see more.

Abe: Scout him out. Didn't we have a third on the list?

Mike: Sure did. Anthony Edwards. Slow, slow time at 5.12. Average interview, looks like nothing special. But, the guy proved he has great tackling skills. I think he may be a diamond in the rough and I'd like to look closer.

Abe: You got it. Our corner?

Mike: Marvin Lincoln is another player we are looking at in the 2nd. I honestly do not believe that he will be on the list. 4.23 40.

Vic: *whistles*

Mike: Yup, and teams crave that kind of speed at the corner position. 35" vertical and an average interview. Like to scout him more in case he falls, however.

Abe: How many have we listed for more scouting thus far?

Mike: Nine.

Abe: Who do you recommend for the other 6 scout times we have tomorrow?

Mike: Let's start with Strong Safety. No SS had a ranking of higher than late 2nd-early 3rd round but there was a gridlock there, so we waited until we saw the results fromt he first day. And there are two safeties I like for that area of the draft. Carl Sanders from UNC and Lester Johnson from South Carolina. Both are 6'1". Carl has a 4.47 40 time and Lester a 4.40. Carl had 19 reps, Lester a 37" vertical - the best of any strong safety. Carl had a good interview and Lester an above average one. Carl appears to be an amazing tackler and Lester a pretty good one. I'd like to scout them both.

Abe: Excellent. Do it.

Mike: Receiver Wayne Beck was another of the three receivers that Vic was impressed by. He has a second round grade, above average hands, a 4.37 40 time, 17 reps and a good interview.

Vic: I was impressed by him.

Monte: What about that halfback you were telling me about?

Mike: Renaldo? Great back. From Florida, has a grade of 3rd-4th rounds. Good interview, great power, above average hands, 4.31 speed and 17 reps. Really showed something yesterday.

Abe: Wow. Scout them both. We have two slots left. Who else?

Mike: Right Guard Bobby Jackson from Tulsa. He's a little short at 6"2 although he weighs 313 pounds. Great run blocking skills, above average pass blocking skill. 33 reps, par for the course for guards. Good interview, which is important for guards. Grade of 2-3 rounds.

Vic: Sounds like a good deal for that area of the draft, despite the fact that sounds like a super ball.

Abe: Haha. Short and round. But isn't he a Right guard? We need left guards.

Mike: True, but we could use an additional backup, plus Searcy is aging quickly.

Abe: Fair enough.

Mike: Last up is coner Vernon Marsh. Now, I want you all to listen to this carefully. 2nd-3rd round grade. Above average tackling. 4.44 40 time. Great interview, this guy really knows hus stuff. 40" vertical, tied for best of any corners. 16 reps, second strongest corner.

Monte: Sounds like a catch!

Mike: Yes, but this "catch" has a "catch."

Vic: What's up?

Mike: Not much. He's 5'8"

Vic: Ick.

Mike: But if a 5'8" corner can make it in the NFL, this guy might be it.

Abe: Alright, scout him out. That's our 15. We meet here again tomorrow to make our final decisions.

Old 09-16-2003, 07:54 PM   #154
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Second Combine Meeting

Abe: Mike, what do you have for us?

Mike: Some surprises in here. Starting with the safeties, Carl looked okay a Lester not so much. I'd like one last chance to look at them.

At corner Vernon looks okay and Marvin looks amazing. Again, more info on both is necesswary. Especially vernon.

Anthony Edwards did not look good at end. Al Shields, who I did like, looks less than sterling now. I'd like to see more of Al.

At guard, Bobby is a fierce competetior, and I like that. Dontae appeared better than Gary for the first round players. I'd like another look at all three.

Neil at TE was decent and I want a little more. Criag and Greg acontinue to vie for our top receiver spot. Beck fumbles and I want more info on him as well.

At halfback Renaldo Conway looks good. Le't see more.

And at quarterback I am continually impressed with Jeff Fulcher. Let's see more.

Abe: So you want to see more of 14 of the 15 players we just scouted?

Mike: Correct

Monte: Pretty good.

Abe: Who do you want as your other player?

Mike: You'll be surprised...

Vic: Who?

Mike: QB Tra Ilko from San Diego State. Goo dinterview, amazing arm strength, above average accuracy and 17 reps. Let's see what this guy can offer.

Abe: Sounds like a deal. We need two backup QBs anyway. Let' us know what you find out in your final report. Gentleman, thanks for coming. See you back in Arizona!

Old 09-16-2003, 09:22 PM   #155
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Chris Berman: ...so the Copperheads have to be happy that both of the top wide receivers are still on the board at pick 4. They get their choice of receiver here.

Mel Kiper, Jr: Absolutely Chris. Last year we witnessed a whole slew of receivers fall off the board in the first round, and this year, it's just too hard to call what will happen at the position. But Arizona get's their choice, and you've got to figure that they'll go with a wideout here. They only have Antonio Freeman under contract right now.

Jimmy Johnson: I like Greg a lot.

Mel: I think Greg has the bigger upside, but Craig is the more polished reciever right now, which is odd, I know, since he comes from James Madison University. The Copperheads need an immediate contributor, so I'd go with Craig Campbell.

Chris: And the commissioner is making his way to the podium now.

Paul Tags: With the fourth overall selection in the 2005 draft, the Arizona Copperheads select the wide receiver from James Madison, Craig Campbell.

Chris: Looks like you were right, Mel.

Mel: The first picks are the easiest to call. And Craig is among the most physical receivers that we've seen in a while. He was the strongest receiver in the draft with the same number of bench reps that safeties and some linebackers get. You've heard of running backs that act like receivers? This guy is a receiver who can act like a running back. Let's take a look at the tape...

Old 09-16-2003, 09:36 PM   #156
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Jimmy Johnson: 10 Wide Receivers in the first round the year after 14 receivers went in the first just baffles me. Where are these teams putting all of these guys? I think some are reaching just to get a receiver.

Mel: I think you're right. Arizona has got to be happy that they started this little run of receivers. Arizona started a run of four receivres going in a row. They got their pick of the crop, and considering their significant need for wideouts, it was certainly a good thing that they picked fourth, right at the beginning of the rush.

Chris: Who do the Copperheads go for here?

Mel: Arizona has to be real upset that tight end Neil Basby went off the board at pick 34. They were really high on this kid and he was number 5 or 6 on their draft board overall. I think they would have done cartwheels to get the guy in the second round. Let's take a look at some of the players who've dropped, according to my board:

LOLB Gerard Davis was a real player. Good speed, good strength, good tackling and great acceleration. He dropped because he had an average interview. He's my best available.

DT Terrence McGrath is my next player. Great tackling, size and strength, but again, an average interview hurt him.

RE Michael Roberts is also on the board and the Copperheads have got to be upset that they didn't look at him closer because he fell to them. He is the only player where the best available meets their need for a starter at the end position. He was one of the fastest and strongest ends out there but an average tackler and interview has knocked him down.

C Jeff Woodson is still available but centers have a tendancy to drop because there is not as muhc of a need for them. He'll get pciked up sooner or later and start quickly.

Last of my top five biggest drops is right tackle Jerome Kaltenschnee. He has amazing blocking skills and a good interview. I'm surprised he hasn't gone yet, and I don't expect to see him here much longer.

Chris: So, of the five, you think Arizona will go with Roberts?

Mel: I think so.

Jimmy: You got to have good ends. I think they should take him.

Chris: Here comes the commissioner.

Tags: With the 36th selection of the draft, the Arizona Copperheads select RE Michael Roberts.

Chris: Two for two Mel.

Mel: Yep. Let's take a look at some of Michael's gamefilm.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:54 PM   #157
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Chris: With the draft quickly achieving conclusion, Mel Kiper and Mike Golic have been giving us their opinion on the drafts. They've been taking turns and it's Mike's turn. Mike, you have the Copperheads.

Mike Golic: I like their first round selection of Craig Campbell because they got the recevier they wanted before the furor began over wideouts. They needed some more, but they had the discipline to never reach and I like that. The second round choice of Michael Roberts was questionable only because Al Shields, another end who they really liked, stayed around until the mid-fourth. I really think they would have gotten a quality end two rounds later.

In the third round, they went with Carl Sanders, the strong safety from North Carolina. He was the first strong safety taken in what was admittedly a weak year for them. Still, Arizona needed a starter, and they found the best one in the draft in the 3rd - pretty good value there. In the fourth they picked up corner Vernon Marsh from Vanderbilt. Although I think Vernon was a bit of a reach, any corner in the fourth round who makes a roster with 5 corners already on it has to be pretty good.

Owner Abe Sargent admitted to us that some players they really wanted were taken off the baord, so they drafted a best available player approach for the last three rounds. Each of the players taken had fallen somewhat, and was a good selection. Right Guard Brad Green was snatched up in the fifth, outside linebacker Kendall Ortiz in the sixth and left tackle Brady Allen in the seventh. If even one of these players pans out as a starter in the future, the Copperheads had a good deal. And the starters at each of these positions are pushing retirement, whih may mean one or more of these players will have an opportunity to shine.

Overall, I think the Copperheads missed on the second round selection, and predicted the draft poorly, but made up for it with some quality late. I give them a B.

Old 09-16-2003, 11:14 PM   #158
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

ARIZONA COPPERHEADS PRESS RELEASE

New Copperheads Signed

Earlier today, the Arizona Copperheads announced that deals had been reached with all seven draftees. From the first round pick through the seventh, all plaayers have placed their name to paper and signed contracts.

The Arizona franchise welcomes their new members and looks forward to their contribution both on and off the field. The players are listed below, in draft order.

1. WR Craig Campbell, James Madison University. 4 years, 14.25 million with a signing bonus of 2.08 million.

2. RE Michael Roberts, Oklahoma State, 5 years, 6 million with a bonus of 850,000.

3. SS Carl Sanders, North Carolina, 3 years, 2 million with a 300,000 bonus.

4. CB Vernon Marsh, Venderbilt, 4 years, 1.7 million with a bonus of 280,000.

5. RG Brad Green, Henderson State, 3 years, 1 million with a 180,000 bonus.

6. ROLB Kendall Ortiz, Southern University, 3 years, 1 million with a 180,000 bonus.

7. LT Brady Allen, Notre Dame, 3 years, 1 million with a bonus of 80,000.

Make sure to welcome these new players to our community!

Old 09-17-2003, 09:49 AM   #159
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Needs:

2 backup QBs
2-3 backup RBs
3 WRs
1 Starting caliber TE
1 Starting Caliber LG
1 Starting Caliber CB

We have 40.19 Mill available to spend this year.

-Mike Ackerly

Old 09-17-2003, 04:14 PM   #160
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Free Agency Log:

We have three main target in the free agency period. Our top priority is to get the only true shutdown corner out there. Troy Vincent. He's old, but he's better than any otehr we have. We'll still need to find a long term solution, but for now, he'll definately do.

Our next priority is LG Bibla, a fourth year man who looks decently good. He's a little better than Wally Williams but he's young enough that he can still improve which makes him more valuable to me.

Out third target is Tight End Anthony Becht. Becht is better than Cam Cleeland, but not by too much. Still, I'll take any improvement at that critical position that I can, and I can always substitute in Becht for blocking downs if I cen get a better reeiver. A better TE later on will allow me to more effectively use our Big Formations, which I am really fond of.

Day 1 -

We make bids to Becht, Vincent and Bibla.

Day 2 -

We hear that our bids for Vincent and Becht have been exceeded by other teams. We bid up on both players.

Day 3 - Vincent and Becht sign. We make a bid on WR Jason McAddley.

Day 4 - Bibla signs. McAddley's bid is upped by Denver and I don't want to pay the extra money. We remove ourselves from any further free agent action.

Post Auction -

We got all three of our targets:

CB Troy Vincent, 3 years, 16.39 million with 4.92 bonus
TE Anthony Becht, 4 years, 3 million with 600k bonus
LG Martin Bibla, 4 years, 4.5 million with 760k bonus

We also signed the following free agents post draft for depth:

QB Jason Gesser, 2 years, 1.5 million, 200k bonus
QB Seth Burford, 1 year, 570k, 80k bonus
HB Derrick Blaylock, 2 years, 1.3 million, 120k bonus
HB Olandis Gary. 1 year, 850k with 120k bonus
WR Eric Parker, 3 years for 2.75 mill with 510k bonus
WR Jimmy Redmond, 1 year, 590k, 80k bonus
WR Troy Edwards, 2 years, 1.89 million, 300k bonus

Our team now has the proper and needed depth.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:15 PM   #161
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

From the FootballRatings.com Website:

Your 2005 Copperheads:

QB Marc Bulger, 78 Ovr
Jason Gesser, 59 Ovr
Seth Burford, 53 Ovr

RB Shawn Johnson, 86 Ovr
Olandis Gary, 66 Ovr
Derrick Blaylock, 57 Ovr

FB James Hodgins, 81 Ovr

WR Craig Campbell, 79 Ovr *
Antonio Freeman, 75 Ovr
Eric Parker, 68 Ovr
Troy Edwards, 67 Ovr
Jimmy Redmond, 53 Ovr

TE Anthony Becht, 75 Ovr
Cam Cleeland, 71 Ovr
Herman Miller, 64 Ovr

LT Richmond Webb, 78 Ovr
Brady Allen, 57 Ovr *

LG Martin Bibla, 76 Ovr
Wally Williams, 73 Ovr

C Dedric Arrington, 77 Ovr
Cris Forrest, 54 Ovr

RG Leon Searcy, 78 Ovr
Brad Green, 65 Ovr *

RT Jon Johnson, 79 Ovr
John St. Clair, 58 Ovr

LE Chidi Ahanotu, 78 Ovr
Joey Williams, 55 Ovr

RE Michael Roberts, 76 Ovr *
Dre Fisk, 61 Ovr

DT Steve Martin, 81 Ovr
Monsanto Pope, 80 Ovr
Reggie Fryar, 66 Ovr
Sean Nelson, 62 Ovr

LOLB Canute Curtis, 77 Ovr
Eddie Shakur, 65 Ovr

MLB Bryan Cox, 81 Ovr
Colby Solomon, 70 Ovr

ROLB John Thierry, 78 Ovr
Darnay Hill, 67 Ovr
Kendall Ortiz, 65 Ovr *

CB Troy Vincent, 94 Ovr
Doug Bronson, 83 Ovr
Ike Charlton, 71 Ovr
Tyrone Carter, 67 Ovr
Terry Fair, 67 Ovr
Vernon Marsh, 64 Ovr *
Chuck Carter, 59 Ovr

FS Marcus Robertson, 85 Ovr
Drew Copeland, 68 Ovr

SS Carl Sanders, 72 Ovr *
William Kinney, 68 Ovr

K Delvin Krause, 75 Ovr

P Matt Turk, 90 Ovr

Old 09-17-2003, 09:21 PM   #162
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Football.com:

Next up is the Arizona Copperheads. How did they fare in the draft? For the second year in Abe Sargent's tenure they ha da high draft pick and again they seemed to have used it well in selecting Craig Campbell. After reviewing each rookie in mini-camp, Craig has looked the best. It was a serious need and they filled it very well. In the second round they picked up Michael Roberts who is penciled in as their starter at the end spot that was vacated by Kendrick Office. Roberts appears to be better as a rookie than Kendrick, so it was a definite upgrade. In the third round they picked up strong safety Carl Sanders. He is starting this year for Blaine Bishop who retired.

But, after their first three rounds, again Arizona seems to find mostly backups. The best promise is guard Brad Green who is playing behind Leon Searcy. Searcy is close to retirement and Green could be called upon to start either by injury or retirement. He's just good enough to start right now, but starting time would skyrocket his ability. Other than that, it doesn't look good for the rookies. Corner Vernon Marsh is sixth on the depth chart, LB Ortiz is 3rd, and tackle Allen isn't that good.

They found three starters in the first three rounds, and that's good. But, other than that, they didn't do anything special. B-

Old 09-17-2003, 10:00 PM   #163
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Training Camp Report:

The following players were focused on in Training Camp:

Pocket Presence - QB Gesser - +2% Throwing Accuracy
Precision Passing - QB Bulger - +3% Throwing Accuracy
Chase and Tackle - SS Sanders - +2% Awareness
Swat Ball - CB Brosnon - +1% Acceleration
Trench Fight - RE Michael Roberts - +2% Strength
Clutch Kick - K Krause - +3% Kicking Accuracy
Corner Punt - P Turk - +3% Kicking Accuracy
Ground Attack - RB Shawn Johnson - +5% Break Tackle
Catching - WR Craig Campbell - +2 Catching

Shawn Johnson worked especially hard.

-Mike Ackerly

Old 09-18-2003, 11:26 AM   #164
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Bulger-Becht Connection Lives Again in Arizona

Tony Sampezi
Mountaineer Sports Network

You can tell that fellow West Virginia University Alum Abe Sargent loves his school. After Abe acquired the Arizona Cardinals, he signed Canute Curtis to be his starting outside linebacker. The same Canute Curtis who set school records for sacks. Same Canute who was a Butkis Award finalist. Canute hadn't started any where for more than a game or two in his entire profssional career, but he came in as the starter for the Cardinals. Two years later, after 32 consecutive starts, Curtis is again at the top of the depth chart.

Then last year Abe went out and signed Marc Bulger. He ignored two highly rated rookies and found his starting quarterback from a fellow WVU alum. The same Marc Bulger who set school records for passing. Abe designated Marc his starter last year and he is entrenched again this year.

And this year, Abe's team, the Copperheads, picked up Anthony Becht, the former tight end for the Mountaineers. The connection? All Mountaineers and all players Abe saw on the field. He told us, "I didn't go to as many home games as I would have liked, but I saw all of these guys live."

So now Marc Bulger can again throw to Becht, his safety net. Who's next? Solomon Page? Amos Zereoue? Jerry Porter? Aaron Beasley? Mountaineer fans have something to watch this fall.

Old 09-18-2003, 03:42 PM   #165
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Anxiety
And at quarterback I am continually impressed with Jeff Fulcher. Let's see more.

QB Tra Ilko from San Diego State. Goo dinterview, amazing arm strength, above average accuracy and 17 reps. Let's see what this guy can offer.

Where did these guys end up getting drafted?

Good stuff - sorry I missed my cue for the lawsuit. Was a little clueless for a week there.

Kevin
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:20 PM   #166
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Celeval
Where did these guys end up getting drafted?

Good stuff - sorry I missed my cue for the lawsuit. Was a little clueless for a week there.

Kevin

No prob.

Tra went early in the 2nd and Fulcher went middle of the third. I would have taken Fulcher in the 4th but he wasn't there. Heck, I would have taken Fulcher in the 3rd but I needed a possible starter at SS more than a backup at QB. Ended up that Sanders was starter quality so it was a good move on my part.

-Anxiety

Old 09-18-2003, 09:31 PM   #167
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Fans Protest New Cardinals

Steve Atwater
Minnesota Tribute

When Bill Bidwell, the new owner of the Minnesota Vikings announced that the team would be changing its mascot, the fans were in uproar. However, the protests have continued to grow in intensity the closer the Minnesota franchise has come to opening this season. The closer the team comes to having the Cardinals debut.

Fans have organized protests, but nothing like what was seen today at the first scrimmage between the offense and defense. The Minnesota Cardinals have an open practice to the public. And the scrimmages are open and free to any who wish to view. So, the public has used this first scrimmage as the vehicle to voice their disdain.

The entire stadium was full to capacity. In a sea of purple and gold. Practically every person wore yellow and purple, and contineud to cheer for the "Vikings." It was almost like the team had never changed logos, despite the uniforms worn.

One fan said, "It's not like they changed the name from the Vikings to the Cowboys or some halfway decent name. But the Cardinals? Comparing the Cardinals to the Vikings is like comparing a junior college to University of Wisconsin."

Another fan was quoted as saying that, "I'll never go a game as long as the team wears the Cardinals colors."

Bill Bidwell was unavailable for comment after the scrimmage.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:18 PM   #168
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Preseason Status:

Progression of Players (All numbers are overall) :

QB Jason Gesser, +1%

LT Brady Allen, +2%

C Cris Forrest, +2%

RT Jon Johnson, +1%

RE Michael Roberts, +2%
Dre Fisk, +1%

MLB Colby Solomon, +3%

ROLB Darnay Hill, +1%

CB Doug Bronson, +1%

FS Drew Copeland, +2%

SS Carl Sanders, +1%
William Kinney, +1%

K Dexter Krause, +2%

-Mike Ackerly

Old 09-18-2003, 11:28 PM   #169
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Minnesota Continues to have Record Low Attendance

Steve Atwater
Minnesota Tribune

For the third game out of the four preseaon games, the Minnesota Cardinals had record lows for attendance. The first game had a little over 10,000 attend, the second 11,000, and the third 8,971. 8,971 stood as the lowest attendance for a Minnestoa game ever until yesterday, the fourth preseason game.

With an attendance of 6,291 yesterday, owner Bill Bidwell called an emergency press conference earlier today. He made a plea to the people of Minnesota to attend the games in the regular season. However, record lows that are quickly approaching the level of an Arena team are of a great concern to Bidwell, the fans, and the league.

Fans angered by the team changing mascots have stayed away from the games in record numbers. Those fans who have attended remain adorned with purple and gold. Old Vikings jerseys from Randy Moss to Daunte Culpepper to older jerseys like Sean Salisbury and Robert Griffith and Lindsay Everett are all across the stands on the backs of the few fans who choose to nreak the boyott and attand anyway.

"The players are still our players, and we have to support them. But we know that they bleed purple and gold," one local said. Unfortunately for owner Bill Bidwell and the league, few other fans agree.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:32 PM   #170
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Re: Preseason

Went 3-1 during the preseason. That was nice. Winning in Minnesota against the Cardinals was nice. It was even nicer to have the crowd chanting and supporting us in an away stadium.

I realized that they were cheering for us because we were not Bidwell. Because I had the good sense to shed the Cardinals moniker for a new one, it was so tainted. I am the anti-Bidwell. I have to accept that. I will embrace my role, starting this week.

-Abe Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 09-18-2003 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:11 PM   #171
JeeberD
General Manager

I think Billy Bidwell's been getting some ideas from the owner in Major League....

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 05:38 PM   #172
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

....the Copperheads lost this week 23-10 as the Rams proved too much for them. Arizona's unique home game losing streak continues....

Old 09-19-2003, 07:14 PM   #173
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Conversation Spoken Into a Microrecorder

This week, the staff and I agreed that we needed to toss in some trick plays. I'll have to call 5 trick plays during the game in ordre to fake out the defense.

TE Cam Cleeland is innured for several weeks. I sign TE Tracey Wistrom for one year, 530k.

We host the 49ers this week. We're already one game behind with our loss to the Rams at home last week, so this week is a very important game. Since it's an even numbered week, I all the plays for this game.

On the first play from scrimmage, I call a run up the gut by Shawn Johnson. He gets five yards, but Jon Johnson was clipping so its 1st and 20. I call a curl to Craig our rookie receeiver, to see what he can do. He breaks two tackles and goes 43 yards! Wow! What a debut catch for the NFL!!!

Bulger tosses a pick on a bad read over the middle and the 49ers get the ball. They are forced to go four and out after their first play resulted in a first down.

Terry Fair fumbles the punt return and the 49ers run it in for a score. 7-0

On our ensuing possession, I run Johnson up the middle twice. 11 yards the fist time, 26 the second. I call a HB pass. Johnson is hit as he throws and the ball is picked off and run in for a score. 14-0 49ers.

We have five possession changes before the 49ers kick a FG. Bulger is picked off again and another run for a TD. 24-0.

After halftime we force teh 49ers to punt. On 2nd and 8 I call another HB toss. This time Freeman gets to the ball but can't catch it. Receviers have been dropping balls all day. It's 3rd and 8. 13 yard completion to Parker moves the chains. His first catch today, and considering that he dropped two balls, he need to start catching them.

After SF hits another FG I call a WR Reverse to the left. Freeman gets 2 yards. We punt again.

Ahanotu gets his third sack of the day to knock SF out of FG range as the third quarter expires.

Early in the fourth Johnson breaks a 41 yard run for a TD. 27-7.

The 49ers return the ensuing kick for a TD. 34-7.

On our second play from scrimmage, the line opens a wide hole and Johnson gets to the secondary without being touched. He breaks the tackles of both safeties and is gone! 73 yard scamper. 34-14.

Doug Bronson forces a fumble and Troy Vincent recovers! But wait, SF Challenges......and it'sovertruned. 49er Ball!

We run and pass it down in burst. Bulger hits bakup TE Herman Miller on a Singleback Big ACE Streaks play fro,m the 4 to score!

34-21. 3:06 left in the game. Time for an onside kick..

The ball bounces, we fail to recover. On 3rd and five, they get the first. Two minute warning, we have one timeout remaining, and that's pretty much the game.

We hold the 49ers who kick a FG. Then on the kickoff.......

TERRY FAIR RETURNS THE BALL FOR A TD!!!!! 37-27 and I go for 2.

If we get the 2 point conversion, recover an onside kick, we'll have about 40 seconds left and down by 8.

I run Shawn up the middle. 2 point conversion!

We fail to recover the onside kick. And that's game.

Johnson finished the day with 251 rushing yards, 2 TDs and a 2 point conversion.

Ahanotu finished with 5 tackles, 1 TFL, 3 Sacks

So close....

Old 09-21-2003, 12:10 PM   #174
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

....Monte Kiffin coached the Copperheads first win of the season as Bulger throws three touchdowns to defeat the Texans in Houston, 27-17....

Old 09-21-2003, 03:55 PM   #175
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Re: Week 4

So, to start off with, our dumb Quarterbacks burnt all of our timeouts early and I couldn't call any myself.

We start with the ball in Washington DC as we take n the Redskins. I call two run plays and its 3rd and 5. Herman Miller catches a first down ball. Four runs later it's 1st and 10 and I order a TE Streak to Becht. Complete. We get four first downs all told before the Redskins force us to kick a FG. 3-0 Us.

The Redskins fumble on 3rd and 2 at the 50 and we recover!!! I call a Flats pass to Johnson, 9 yards. A Play Action QB Rollout to Craig in the endzone is a bit off target. Johnson up the gut for 5 and a conversion. Anotehr conversion to Craig on a curl pattern. Bulger is sacked on 3rd and 4 and Krause has to kick another FG. 6-0 Copperheads.

Krause kicks a second touchback. Marcus Robertson picks off Patrick Ramsey on the second play of the Redskins drive and we have the ball at the 28.

Bulger leans back and tosss the ball to Hodgins on a curl. But Jesse Armstead intercepts the ball! He runs it all the way back for a TD. 7-6 Redskins. End of first quarter.

Becht drops a 2nd and 9 for the first down and Bulger has to throw it away on 3rd down due to pressure. First punt of the game.

The Redskins passing game begins to click. Two first downs and a Touchdown to Gardner makes it 14-6 Washington.

Next possession, I call a Pro Formation Curls play. Bulger is hit as he throws - a wild duck of a ball goes up and the safety comes down with the ball. Redskins ball at the 18.

Their first play, pass to Trung Candidate, Doug Bronson hits him and knocks the ball loose. Fumble! We recover! Whew, we are saved.

I call Johnson up the middle - 12 yards - his longest play from scrimmage today. 3rd and 3 and Bulger hits Craig in double coverage when his hitch pattern gets both the defenders off for a second.

Two more runs and 11 yards later - conversion #3. I call the perfect play on 1st and 10. Singleback, with the 3rd receiver in the slot going straight out. Lately, the defense has not been covering the receiver by a corner but a safety. This should result in the receiver catching the ball two yards deep and near the sideline with nobody near him. The play looks perfect but our third receiver drops the ball. I remember the play for later. I may substitute another receiver in the spot.

Two incompletions and we punt the ball to the 10. 5:01 left in the half. We hold the Redksins and they punt as the Two Minute warning goes off. Again, I have no timeouts to use.

I run up the gut and take off 3 yards and 40 seconds. Play number two is a Play Action Pass Streaks off the Singleback Big formation. The corner bites, Bulger hits Craig Campbell, and he is gone. 77 yards for a TD!!! 14-13 Skins.

The Skins complete 5 consecutive passes and get into FG range. The kick it up and it's good. 17-13 Skins and that's your halftime score.

The Skins start the second half with the ball. The kick is off and the ball is fumbled. Bryan Cox picks it up and rumbles into the endzone. 20-17 Copperheads. Did my Special Teams just come through again? Wow.

We exchnage possessions then the Skins drive. Down in the redzone, Ramsey tosses to his right and INTERCEPTION by Troy Vincent.

Our ensuing drive, which starts from the 5, includes several first downs by Johnson, a 1st down catch by Herman Miller, a 37 yard pass downfield to Craig, and a dropped pass in the endzone by Hodgins. A FG makes it 23-17 Cops.

I call a Robber coverage on Nickelback on 3rd and 6 and John Thierry makes a pick. We have the ball on the 24. A 15 yard run by Johnson and a 8 yard reception by the same gives us another TD and a score of 30-17 with 8:18 left in the game.

We grind off 6:47 off the clock and use two of Washington's time outs. Eventually, Shawn Johnson rushes for a TD but it was all on teh ground except for one 3rd and 5 when Becht caught a 6 yard pass for the conversion.

Final Score - 37-17 Arizona, with 24 straight points.

Shawn finished the day with 152 yards, Craig with 141 yards.

-Abe Sargent

Old 09-21-2003, 04:11 PM   #176
General Mike
Pro Starter

Great win! Go Copperheads!
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:42 PM   #177
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copperheads Wins Against Rams in Home Game

Aria Cybele
Phoenix Times

The Copperheads today proved too much for the Rams as they defeated St. Louis 17-7 in a game coached by Monte Kiffin. Thie win puts the Copperheads at 3-2 on the season and their first three game winning streak sine Abe Sargent took over the franchise two and a half years ago.

The hero on the day was Outside Linebacker Canute Curtis. Canute is one of the few original starters for the Abe Sargent era still starting for the team today. Curtis had 4 tackles, 2 sacks, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and rushed it for a TD. He was named the NFL Player of the Week for Week 5 of the season.

This week's game was a struggle for defenses. Marc Bulger was stymied through the air and Shawn Johnson was stymied on the ground. The Rams, however, were held to only 7 points after Curtis's performance was joined by Defensive Tackle Steve Martin's two sacks. Many other players registered impressive defensive stats today as well.

Next week the Jaguars come into Sun Devil Stadium as the Copperheads try to make it four in a row.

Old 09-21-2003, 05:26 PM   #178
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Winless Cardinals Finally Win Against Panthers

Steve Atwater
Minnesota Tribune

Despite record low attendances, the Minnesota Cardinals finnaly notched thier first win of the season against the equally winless Panthers.

In the battle of beatens, 0-4 Minnesota hosted 0-5 Carolina. At the end of the day, 21-11 won the game for the Minnesota Cardinals. The attendance was just under 10,000 in the stands.

"We've had a hard first couple of games, but today marks the runing point in our frachise. Today, the Cardinals soar," owner Bill Bidwell was quoted as saying.

"I won't attend a game until the Vikings return," said Pete Jabeski, one of hundreds of displaced Vikings fans who mill around and tailgate outside of the stadium on gameday. Another was quoted as saying, "I'm not putting a dollar in the pocket of Bidwell, but I'm not changing my lifestyle either. I've been here every homegame for the past 31 years and I have no intention of stopping."

As the number of fans that wear purple and gold outside the stadium grows, so have the losses for the Cardinals. Until today.

Old 09-21-2003, 06:26 PM   #179
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

QB Bulger to GM Abe Sargent After the Loss to the Jags, 26-13

Bulger: Yeah, I know, we were doing well.

Abe: Gotta stop tossing picks. That was ok for the Rams, who would score 75 points per game if it weren't for turnovers. But it's not okay for us.

Bulger: I know

Abe: Have more faith in the defense. A few weeks ago we allowed only 9 points on defense, and 3 of those were a field goal after an onsides kick. If you had tossed less picks, hen we'd have won the game.

Bulger: Look, I get it. I've been a quarterback for a long time. I know to minimize picks.

Abe: More game film for next week?

Bulger: Right

Old 09-21-2003, 09:48 PM   #180
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Re: Our Game vs. SF - Week 8

We play this week at San Francisco. I have to use my computer designated 3rd Down back this week, and that's Shawn Johnson, so no problems.

I open with the ball. Four straight runs gives us two completions. They stop us, however, and we kick. The punt is fielding by SF and returned up the right sideline for a TD. 7-0 SF.

We get the ball back. I order Johnson up the middle and on the first play from scrimmage, Johnson breaks three tackles and is gone. 77 Yards and he is over 100 yards with 7:58 still in the first quarter.

7-7 tied.

We force the 49ers to punt after Curtis sacks Garcia. We punt ourselves. SF has the ball on 3rd and 1 on their 34 and they decide to play action pass but our defense is too quick and they hit Garcia. He fumbles! Steve Martin recovers and we have the ball at the 28.

I call a Strong PA QB Rollout play and Bulger hits Freeman for 12 yards over the middle. The rest of the plays are all run and Johnson pounds it in for 7 more. 14-7 with 1:24 still in teh first quarter.

The 49ers begin the second quarter with an impressive drive capped off by a Garcia completion to our cornerback Troy Vincent in the endzone which gives us the ball at the 20.

We drive by running, running, and more running. From our own 20 to our opponent's 32 we just run. Fullback, Halfback, Off Tackle, Sweep, Up The Gut. Then we start mixing it up. Eventually, with just 3:34 left on the half clock, Bulger hits Becht on 3rd and 5 from the 6 for a TD on a TE Out play from the Singleback formation.

21-7 Cops. The 49ers make a late drive and kick a FG just before the half. 21-10 at the half.

The 49ers start with the ball in the second half. After a first down, Steve Martin sacks Garcia and puts SF in a certain passing situation. We force them to punt and we get the ball on our 46.

I call a pass that falls incomplete. Two runs later we have a first down. I call a pass again, but the defense is loaded to the left side of the field heavily. I audible to a run, then change the direction of the run to the left. Bulger snaps, hands the ball off the Johnson, who breaks one tackle and scores!

42 yard run by Johnson, his third rushing TD and he's over 200 yards rushing. 28-10.

San Francisco drives. Barlow gets great yards after catch as he gets two first downs by plowing through Copperheads. A Pope sack ends the drive and they score 3. 28-13.

We are forced to punt but Doug Bronson picks off Garcia and runs it into the endzone. 35-13.

The 49ers drive but are stimed by two Canute Curtis sacks. They go for it on fourth and turn it over on downs.

We drive mainly on the ground using QB Sneaks, FB Blasts, and the like. We are stopped, but within Krause's range. 38-13.

I take a kneel on the 3rd yard line when we could have scored another TD as a sign of sportsmanship.

38-13 is the final score.

Some stats:

Bulger passed for 28 yards
Johnson ran for 253
Curtis had 4 sacks, Pope 3 - The team had 9 sacks on the day.

-Abe Sargent

Old 09-21-2003, 10:09 PM   #181
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copperhead Forum Postings

"Monte Kiffin couldn't coach a dog to sit."

"Lost 17-12 in St. Louis"

"At least Johnson had another big day. 171 yards under Kiffin."

"Man, we coulda been 5-3."

"Might have had a shot at the playoffs."

"Still could fellas, there's still hope."

"Yep, need ta go 6-2 in the second half."

"Better team than last year."

"Possibly."

"They finish 8-8 it'd be a big improvement."

"No receiver has more'n 315 yards. That's funny."

"It's because Shawn J has 1220 yards in 8 games."

"Shawn is the Copperheads. Simple as that."

"No it's not. Good defense too.

Old 09-21-2003, 11:16 PM   #182
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Defensive Tackle Martin Injured

Sammy Rogers
Arizona Sun

Earlier this week, Defensive Tackle Steve Martin of the Arizona Copperheads was reported as "Doubtful" for next week's game against the Giant here at Sun Devil Stadium. After all, Martin was not injured in last week's game.

Nor was he injured in practice, the Arizona Sun learned after investigating. No, instead, Steve martin was injured off the football field at home.

Tripping over his dog.

Which brings up several questions. What could Steve have been doing that was physical enough that tripping over his dog resulted in a moderate injury? Hmmm? Playing football with the dog again, eh Steve?

On a more serious note, Martin will miss the game, but Reggie Fryar will get the first start of his career. He better be ready because the Giants have a good offensive line. Martin will be missed this week.

But, when the dog's away, the cat will play.

Old 09-22-2003, 12:18 AM   #183
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Some Stats from the Copperheads Last Minute Victory over New York:

CB/KR Terry Fair's PR TD was ultimately a deciding score in the contest

QB Marc Bulger had his highest rating all year - 81.3. No picks.

RB Shawn Johnson only had 130 yards on 30 carries. He also fumbled and scored the only offensive TD.

WR Eric Parker showed up in this game, grabbing 4 balls for 48 yards and the team's largest ply from scrimmage in teh game.

DT Monsanto Pope registered the only sack of the day for teh Copperheads.

K Dexter Krause's 53 yard field goal is his career longest.

The Final Score was 19-14, Arizona.

Old 09-22-2003, 12:24 AM   #184
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

NFC WEST STANDINGS (After Week 11)

6-4 49ers
6-4 Seahawks
5-5 Rams
5-5 Copperheads

This is after Arizona's loss last week at the 1-8 Panthers 27-3.

Old 09-22-2003, 12:28 AM   #185
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copperheads Owner Sick

AP Wire

Arizona Copperheads owner Abe Sargent came down sick earlier today and was rushed to the hospital. Doctors are uncertain as to the cause, and extensive tests have been ordered. Sargent is reported as stable.

Abe Sargent was on the rotation for the playcalling this week. Monte Kiffin will call the plays in his absence.

Old 09-22-2003, 12:40 AM   #186
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Vic Ketchman's Notes

Results of the two more weeks of Monte Kiffin:

Loss Hosting Bears 24-31
Loss Hosting Colts 6-10

WR Eric Parker suffered a career ending injury when his vertebrae broke. He was placed on IR.

Abe Sargent is released from the hospital but he is not allowed to coach for a while. Since the team is likely out of playoff contention anyway, he relents. Monte calls the plays for the next two games:

Defeat Eagles 17-10
Defeat Cowboys 10-0

7-7.

Two games left. If all three NFC West teams lose and the Copperheads win this week, then there is an outside chance the Cops could win it in week 17. Johnson is 153 yards away from a 2000 yard season.

Monte Calls the Plays:

At Tennessee....

Cops lose. 10-20

Final Game is 20-10 victory over the Seahawks.

-Vic

Old 09-22-2003, 12:51 AM   #187
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Playoffs:

Wild Card Weekend:

Steelers at Broncos
Giants at Eagles
Dolphins at Bengals
Saints at Seahawks

Winners are

Steelers, 46-27
Eagles, 21-14
Bengals, 25-20
Seahawks, 49-27

Division Championship Round:

Steelers at Colts
Seahawks at Falcons
Bengals at Patriots
Eagles at Packers

Winners:

Colts, 20-0
Seahawks, 23-14
Bengals 31-24
Packers, 19-7

Championships:

AFC Championship - Bengals at Colts

NFC Championship - Seahawks at Packers

Colts 23, Bengals, 20

Packers 52, Seahawks 16

Super Bowl -

Indianapolis Colts

vs.

Green Bay Packers

Packers 21
Colts 24

Your Super Bowl Champions are the Colts!!!

Old 09-22-2003, 12:59 AM   #188
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Awards:

RB Shawn Johnson -

NFL MVP (#5 Vote Getter)
NFC Offensive Player of the Year
NFL Off Play of Year (#2 Vote Getter)
NFC Best Running Back
NFL Best Running Back (#2 Vote Getter)

WR Craig Campbell -

NFC Off Rookie of the Year (#2 Vote Getter)
NFL Off Rook of Year (#3 Vote Getter)

SS Carl Sanders

NFC Defensive Rookie of the Year (#5 Vote Getter)

RT Jon Johnson

NFC Best Offensive Lineman (#3 Vote Getter)

Pro Bowl:

HB Shawn Johnson (#1)

RT Jon Johnson (#1) Top Vote Getter of any O-Lineman, 3rd Most of any player

LT Richmond Webb (#1)
RG Leon Searcy (#1)
C Dedric Arrington (#1)
CB Doug Bronson (#4)

Old 09-22-2003, 01:16 AM   #189
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Stats:

QB Marc Bulger, 2521 yards, 13 TDs, 21 Ints

RB Shawn Johnson, 2022 rushing yards, 12 TDs, 61 receptions, 502 yards, 4 TDs

WR Craig Campbell, 56 catches, 759 yards, 4 TDs

WR Antonio Freeman, 52 snatches, 639 yards, 1 TD

RT Jon Johnson, 86 Pancakes, 8 Sacks Allowed

C Dedric Arrington, 73 Pancakes, 7 Sks Allow

RG Leon Searcy, 72 Pans, 8 SkA

ROLB John Thierry, 89 Tacks, 15 TFL, 7 Sacks, 1 Int, 1 FF, 4 FumRec

DT Steve Martin, 40 Tacks, 8 TFL, 8 Sacks, 3 FF, 3 FumRec

LOLB Canute Curtis, 62 Tacks, 2 TFL, 7 Sacks, 3 FF, 2 FumRec, 1 Def TD

DT Monsanto Pope, 34 Tacks, 2 TFL, 6 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 FumRec

CB Troy Vincent, 54 Tacks, 1 TFL, 5 Ints, 1 FF, 1 FumRec, 1 Def TD

CB Doug Bronson, 69 Tacks, 2 TFL, 3 Ints, 3 FF, 3 FumRec, 1 Def TD

DEs Michael Roberts, Chidi Ahanotu and Dre Fisk accounted for 14 sacks.

CB/KR Terry Fair had 1 KR TD and 1 PR TD

Old 09-22-2003, 01:21 AM   #190
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copperheads Balance Sheet:

Income -

Ticket Sales - 30.5 Mill
Concessions - 3.55 Mill
Parking - 1.55 Mill
Merchandise - 3.1 Mill
Shared Revenue - 73.45 Mill

Total Income - 112.15 Mill

Expenses -

Player Salaries - 62 Mill
Coach Salaries - 5.4 Mill
Stadium Maintenance - 16.1 Mill

Total Expenses - 83.5 Mill

2005 Net Income - 28.65 Mill

Total Assets - 18.65 Mill

Old 09-22-2003, 08:00 PM   #191
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Shawn Johnson Again Snubbed by NFL

Last year, Shawn Johnson was left off the NFC Pro Bowl list despite notching a 1700+ yard season as a running back, which led the NFL.

So, this year, there is a lot of respect for Shawn J., right? After all, the man who many refer to as "Shawn Jay" registered a 2000+ running season. A feat that is extremely rare, Shawn led the NFC Running Backs for the Pro Bowl this year.

And the credit is not solely Shawn's. Last year, offensive lineman Richmond Webb and Leon Searcy were in the Pro Bowl. This year, they return, joined by sophomore offensive linemen Jon Johnson and Dedric Arrington. In fact, these four lineman all led their positions for the NFC. Sunday, when the NFC takes the field against the AFC, four of the five starting linemen will be Copperheads, as well as the running back.

And yet, Shawn Jay was snubbed. Not by the Pro Bowl voters, but by the NFL Awards committee. Now, Brett Favre most likely deserved a fourth NFL MVP award. But, maybe Shawn Jay, who has led the league in rushing the past two years, also deserved to win. No matter.

But when the league came time to hand out the Best Running Back Trophy, they chose Ricky Williams. Admittedly, Ricky had a great season, and he was the AFC winner of the title. But to beat out Shawn?

Ricky ran for almost 400 less yards. He did catch a little over 150 yards more and scored 4 additional touchdowns aerially and on the ground. But, if the job of a running back is to run, then Shawn should be rewarded for registereing one of the best rushing seasons ever. Mind you, this is the year after Shawn rushed for 325 yards, smashing all previous single game rushing records.

This year, Shawn was a game by himself when the quarterback passed for a grand total of 28 yards after sacks. He was the offense. No running back has performed a similar feat in normal weather.

The Copperheads won 8 games this year. How man wins did Johnson account for? Six? Seven? Is it safe to say that all eight games would have been lost if a pedestrian running back were in the position?

And yet a Ricky Williams on a team loaded with talent wins despite significantly inferior rushing yardage and yards from scrimmage. Shawn Johnson was snubbed by the league this year. In a year when his greatness should be celebrated and embraced, when new fans are looking for new stars, the league turns elsewhere. The league ran elsewhere, which may be the only running feat more inexplicable than Shawn's.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:01 PM   #192
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Rumors of Copperheads Relocation Abound

John Clayton
ESPN.com

Rumors of a possible relocation by the Copperheads have leaked from the franchise. For the past three years, the team has been owned by new owner Abe Sargent, who has turned over the staff, the players, and the mascot, and now, maybe the location.

The Arizona Copperheads do not have their own stadium, instead sharing 30 year old Sun Devil Stadium with the University. Since recent plans to build a new stadium have failed, the idea of moving the franchise is nothing new. The voters again refused a new stadium plan.

So, where are the Copperheads bound? There are several options:

Los Angelos: The largest current market without a franchise is long overdue. The LA market is ideal for relocation. However, stadium issues continue and the votoers are hostile to building a new stadium. Although these issues are surmountable, they are significant.

Las Vegas: The City of Sin has doubled in size over the last decade. The people here are conservative type people who tend to go to football games and there are enough high income fans to fill the boxes. The NFL has rejected expansion offers from Nevada in the past. Has the league and society changed in the past few years and do they have a new view towards Nevada football? If so, the Vegas market is the second best choice in America.

Mexico City: The largest TV market in North America is Mexico City. With such a large number of potential fans to draw upon, relocation to Mexico City is very attractive. However, the fan base is more concerned with soccer and baseball. Additionally, the economy in the region is not stable, adn the dollar-peso conversion will cause problems indefinitely for the franchise.

Toronto: The largest TV market in Canada also offers a very attractive option. Of the international options, Toronto has the most stable economy and an established football fan base. Toronto has proven a successful home to both the Blue Jays and the Raptors. The CFL team is one of the better attended in the league. There are still currency issues, but the other professional teams seem to survive.

Portland: Another American option, Portland is one of several areas that have established professional sports franchises but lack a football team. Other possibilities include Salt Lake City, San Jose, Columbus and San Antonio.

Ultimately, if the Copperheads stay or leave, a long-term commitment needs to be made.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:32 PM   #193
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Minnesota Changes Name Back to Vikings

Steve Atwater
Minnesota Tribune

Under tremendous pressure from both fans and comunity officials, owner Bill Bidwell has announced that he will rename the Minnesota Cardinals the Vikings.

Suffering the lowest attendance ever recorded for a football team in the modern era, Bill Bidwell was under a massive spotlight as the boycott continued. No home game sported more that 15,000 people. Those fans who chose to show up wore purple and gold virtually exclusively.

The Vikings will return to the old uniform, colors, mascot and logo. After one miserable season, the Cardinal Experiment in Minnesota is offically over. And every Minnesota fan breathes a sigh of relief.

Old 09-22-2003, 11:54 PM   #194
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Press Conference from Sun Devil Stadium, 3:57 pm

Abe Sargent: Hello and thank you for coming today. As we have done in the past, we are using this conference to announce some major news, and then we will take questions. This may take a bit, so bear with us.

As of tomorrow, a proposal will be submitted to the people of Las Vegas to build a stadium there. That stadium is the proposed home of the Copperheads. This, in and of itself, should not be that shocking. A stadium deal here in Arizona fell through as it has for the past ten years.

The stadium is unnamed at this time. The stadium will cost 353.85 million dollars to construct. The proposal is for the people of Las Vegas to pay for sixty percent of the cost. We will outlay 90 million of our own dollars, and the remaining monies will comes from seat licenses and such.

Last night, the NFL owners met and the proposed move to Las Vegas was approved. Vegas is the fastest growing area in the states. It has the economic structure necessary to support a major sports franchise.

The team name will remain the Copperheads, although our uniforms have been tweaked a bit. The home uniforms look better, to be honest.

Local officials in the city believe that our proposal will pass considerably, and that the move to Las Vegas is as close to guaranteed as anything can be in politics.

We will continue to play here in Sun Devil Stadium for the next two years as construction takes place in Vegas.

The stadium features a scoreboard on either side of the stadium, a lot of extended seating, and a maximum amount of boxes. We believe that casinos and other high priced tourist businesses will pounce on skyboxes for a local NFL team.

We understand that this will not be a popular decision with the fans in Arizona, but the fans in Arizona also need to recognize that they had several chances to keep us here, and we are only leaving because it is economically viable for us to do so.

Now, I'll take questions.

Harvey Weistein, Channel 4 Sports: Will Coppie, the Cuddly Snake make the trip to Las Vegas.

Abe: I have no plans to change our mascot. Coppie will join us, yes.

Shalonda Harlest, Sports Illustrated: According to your financial report, the Copperheads made almost 30 million last year. How is staying in Arizona at this stadium not feasible?

Abe: Shalonda, remember that we were almost 25 million under the cap. Yes, we made 28 million, but only because we made a conscious decision between being competetive and being healthy. No NFL team should have to make that decision.

Sam Somerville, Arizona Sun: Will the colors and logo remain the same?

Abe: Yes, just the uniform will change, and very slightly. The home uniform, for example, will feature white pants with copper and aqua trim.

Jamar Jenkins, Freelance Sportswriter: What do you tell fans who purchased Copperheads merchandise?

Abe: They can still be Copperhead fans. Plus I have every intention of delivering Arizona a winner this year. In our last year here, I think we owe them that.

Sy Rosenberg, The Sporting News: Why Vegas over another place, like LA?

Abe: Vegas had everything that I was looking for. A strong business base, good football fans for a core base, high growth, wealthy patrons, what's not to like?

Nesmit McCall, 1080 AM Sports Talk Radio: Doesn't the gambling issue scare you?

Abe: I know that the gambling thing has turned off people around the league in the past, I get that. What I don't get is why people think that the house will bet more, or more heavily, or exert undue influence on a player from a local team. That is so nineteenth century. With modern journalism, casino ethics, and transportation, there in no reason that a local team should worry. If gambling is a problem , then it's a problem for every team not just one a few miles from casinos. Besides, Ford Field, in Detroit, is blocks from the heavy Detroit casinos. Are there any problems there? The whole Las Vegas-Casino was blown way out of proportion.

Astra Horvaling, ESPN Correspondant: How many people will the new stadium hold?

Abe: 75,011 people.

Sam Somerville, Arizona Sun: Will it be open or closed?

Abe: Open air, 8 lights.

Sandy Alderman, Channel 7 News: Isn't Sun Devil Stadium actually 48 years old, not thirty?

Abe: That sounds right. I have a bad head for numbers. I remembered "More than thirty." Look, you guys have been great. I know that some of you are assigned the Copperheads beat, and will follow us north. Others will remain here. But I have a tremendous amount of respect for each of you. Thanks for making it fun!

Old 09-23-2003, 12:31 AM   #195
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Scouting Memo:

The following player's abilities changed during the course of the season (all numbers are the player's overall ratings and are out of 100):

QB Marc Bulger, -1
Jason Gesser, +1
Seth Burford, -5

HB Shawn Johnson, +3
Olandis Gary, -5
Derrick Blaylock, -4

WR Craig Campbell, +2
Troy Edwards, -4
Jimmy Redmond, -3

TE Cam Cleeland, -8
Tracey Wistrom, -5

LG Martin Bibla, +1
Wally Williams, -6

C Dedric Arrington, +3

RG Leon Searcy, +2

RT Jon Johnson, +4
John St. Clair, -7

LE Joey Williams, -1

RE Michael Roberts, +2
Dre Fisk, +4

DT Monsanto Pope, +2
Steve Martin, +1

LOLB Canute Curtis, +3
Eddie Shakur, -1

MLB Bryan Cox, +2
Colby Solomon, +4

ROLB John Thierry, +3
Darnay Hill, +3
Kendall Ortiz, +1

CB Doug Bronson, +3
Ike Charlton, +2
Tyrone Carter, +1
Terry Fair, -9

FS Drew Copeland, +4

SS Carl Canders, +5
William Kinney, +3

K Dexter Krause, +2

-Mike Ackerly

Old 09-23-2003, 12:57 AM   #196
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Administration Memo:

For the third year, the our team has led the league in the number of players retiring. This year, five players called it quits. Four other franchises also had five players retire. Our retirees are:

CB Troy Vincent - Our shutdown corner didn't last very long.

FS Marcus Robertson - Has decided to call it quits after a pretty good season.

RT Richmond Webb - Two Pro Bowl Years to finish his career. Add in a 2000 yard rusher and this man may be Canton bound.

WR Antonio Freeman - After putting up poor stats and continuing to see declining numbers, Freeman has seen the writing on the wall and called it quits.

WR Eddie Parker - Suffered career ending injury to backbone.

We have 54.30 million available in cap space. No players are holding out.

-Frankinnoble
VP of Admin

Old 09-23-2003, 01:15 AM   #197
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Scouting Assessment of Players

Here is the Director of Scouting's opinion on the positions:

Quarterback - Marc Bulger is not the answer at quarterback. Although under contract for another two years, a new QB needs to be found. The passing game was anemic at times last year, and new blood is necessary. We have two QBs under contract, a new starter would be our third. We could then either trade Bulger or keep him and pay his salary.

Running Back - We have Shawn Johnson under contract for two more years. Blaylock is under contract for this year. We need to find a long term backup with youth to spell Johnson. FB Hodgins has been acceptable, but nothing to write home about. If Fullback were a higher profile position, we'd be under pressure to replace him.

Receiver - Craig Campbell looked good. The only other receiver we have under contract is Troy Edwards who lost a step. We need a starting receiver and and least one young long-term backup.

Tight End - With three tight ends under contract some may say we have enough, but we don't. Cleeland's continuing deterioration is a major item of concern. I recommend we cut him and find another end.

Offensive Tackle - Pro-bowl Jon Johnson is currently our best O-Lineman and under contract. Richmond Webb retired leaving only Brady Allen at Left Tackle. A new starting tackle must be found. We'll also need a backup at RT.

Offensive Guard - Loen Searcy and Martin Bibla are both under contract. A backup at LG would be necessary.

Center - We have both centers under contract this year.

Defensive End - All four of our defensive ends are under contract.

Defensive Tackle - Steve Martin is a solid inside presence. backups are under contracts. Monsanto Pope is continuing to grow. He is currently a free agent. We recommended resigning Pope.

Outside Linebacker - Three right side backers are under contract. On the left side, backup Shakur is also under contract. However, Canute Curtis is not. Canute has grown and developed into a pretty good linebacker, and should be resigned.

Middle Linebacker - Although Bryan Cox is still a good linebacker, he is 38. MLB Colby Solomon has developed to the point where is now a capable starter. We recommend not resigning Cox and instead starting Solomon. A backup will be necessary in that case.

Cornerback - Although we have six corners under contract, Troy Vincent's retirement leaves vacant the hole at corner. Ike Charlton has grown as a nickelback, but we feel that he will never be a good starting corner in this league. We recommend finding a starting cornerback.

Safeties - SS Carl Sanders grew remarkably last year. Backup William Kinney looks very strong. FS Drew Copeland may be able to slide into the starting role at FS if another cannot be found.

Kickers - Dexter Krause has developed into a major kicker. We recommend that he be resigned. Turk is a solid choice at punter, and he is under contract.

-Mike Ackerly

Old 09-23-2003, 02:06 AM   #198
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Pre-Combine Conversation

Mike Ackerly: So I think that we need to look at Free Safety, Wide Receiver, Left Tackle, Cornerback and Quarterback.

Monte Kiffin: I think that Marc Bulger has a starting quarterback in him.

Abe Sargent: What about RG? Leon isn't going to be around much longer now.

Mike: True.

Vic: When you draft in the 15 spot, it becomes harder to predict who will be around.

Mike: That's true. Our staff has rated 17 rookies with definite first round grade this year. We can get one in the first round.

Vic: Where does our need meet first round grades?

Mike: Two tackles, three corners and a receiver.

Abe: Let's scout all six then.

Monte: What about free safety?

Mike: This year's free safety class seems very weak - literally. They have tackling and strength issues. The best two tacklers come from Miami and West Virginia.

Abe: WVU?

Mike: Yes.

Abe: Sylvester Kent?

Mike: Yes.

Abe: Scout them both then.

Vic: What about late round quarterbacks?

Mike: Sam McClain out of Rice and Donald Jefferson from Auburn both have late round grades but appear to have great ball skills.

Monte: I'd like a closer look.

Mike: Certainly.

Abe: Receiver depth?

Mike: Three receivers have late first, early second round grades. There is also a 3rd-4th rounder I like.

Abe: Scout 'em up for us. How many is that?

Vic: Fourteen. Any other corners?

Mike: Carlton Campbell from Hawaii has a 2nd to 3rd round grade and is one of the few corners this year physical enough to handle tackling assignments.

Abe: That makes 15 then. We've gotten pretty good at this, eh fellas?

Old 09-23-2003, 02:39 AM   #199
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Combine Meeting #1

Mike Ackerly: Alright, here are some reports. Let's start with the QB one. As you can see, both McClain and Jefferson did passably well, but nothing amazing. Neither is particularly bright, and McClain is rather poor.

At tackle, Kwame George from Notre Dame did very well. He is smart and strong - good qualities. Brad is less strong and less smart, but we need to keep scouting, because at pick 15, we may not get a chance on George.

At recevier several interesting develoments occured. Richard Sindle, of Notre Dame, simply doesn't have the speed to compete. Tito Simpson, a late first early second guy was very fast and very strong. He's from Bucknell, so his competetion was never great, but we did well picking up Craig from JMU last year, so you never know. Number one receiver Ryan Heyward didn't really distinguish himself from the pack.

First round grade corners were in three this year. CB Riddick Wilkins, from Princeton, the fastest at 4.23 speed, is also short and a bad tackler. CB Aaron Mosling, of Michigan State, has 4.44 speed but injury problems continue. And CB Bill Grant from Hawaii is a little on the slower side of life with a 4.46 speed.

Last, free safety. WVU player Sylvester Kent was, honestly, miscast as a free safety. He's a good tackler, and strong, but he is 4.53 40 time slow. Richard Harper is faster at 4.44 and had a better interview. However, we discovered some injury problems with him as well.

Abe Sargent: Who do you suggest we continue to look at?

Mike: This was not a good starting crop of players, to be honest. I like kepping both the tackles. CB Grant and Wilkins from the first round grade trio. WR Heyward is someone I'd like to give a chance to. Tito Simpson definitely. And QB Jefferson. So, seven players.

Vic: I like the top overall QB. You can't be too sure when a QB will drop.

Monte: Jerry Rich? Ole Miss?

Vic: Yeah.

Mike: Alright. There's also some good players who may have fallen through the cracks. CB Andrew Ross from Miami looks tempting although he has 5'9" height, he is quite intelligent and lightning fast. FS Patrick Stevens of Kansas State is very quick too with a strong interview. Come to think of it, I'd like to look more at Sylvester from WVU at the FS position.

Abe: Sounds good.

Mike: HB Shaun Davis is one of several mid round graded backs with a good interview and quick feet. He appears to be the bes tof the bunch. WR Erik Olsen was fast and intelligent, always a good sign. And TE Ryan Stabler had a poor interview, but he has the best hands and fastest feet of any TE in the draft. last LT Montae Johnson who seems to have the skills and strength in place.

Vic: That's fifteen

Abe: Let's do it then.

Old 09-23-2003, 02:56 AM   #200
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Last Combine Meeting

Abe Sargent: As I said yesterday, I gave Mike the go ahead to finish scouting the players. Some players look much better than others. Look for a report soon. Are there questions?

Vic: I was hearing something about QB Rich.

Mike: He is scouted as having great arm strength, but we didn't see it today. In fact, we saw a pretty weak arm overall.

Monte: Wow. What about corner?

Mike: Riddick Wilkins, from Princton, is our leading corner on the board.

Vic: Receiver?

Mike: Although Ryan Heyward has a 1st round grade, Tito Simpson has looked good. We have them both at the top, jockeying for position.

Abe: Tackle?

Mike: Kwame, Kwame, and Kwame. Brad is good, but we found out he has a learning disability. That may impair his ability to read the playbook and learn the plays. Montae looks good as well and we are comfortable drafting any of them at this point.

Abe: Free Safety?

Mike: Patrick Stevens is decent, although at this time, we may look for a late round pickup and let whoever it is challenge for the position in camp. There are no studs here this year.

Monte: Those backups we looked at?

Mike: We spent the third day reviewing several backup halfback options, so we have several ideas for mid round pickups there. Other than that, we'll have to pick up players where we can.

Abe: Alright, thank you very much Mike.