Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #151
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Hey, if anyone sees any official news about the "unable to demote players" bug possibly being patched, please post it here. That's really the only thing holding me back from buying the game right now.

Same here with the news of the workaround for the framerate issues.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #152
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Change that to ANY sports title released in the last five years and I'll agree with you. Even the great NHL 07 and 08 needed slider tweaks to hit their sweet spot.

I'm anxious to try this one. Sounds like they may have put together a decent game this year.

Will get it out to you tomorrow. Don't quite have time before work today.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #153
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
I think you made a mistake, with the proper settings you would have found your game.

proper settings, schmoper settings. doesn't mean anything. i told my friend to test a game out online vs. a random guy to see if we'd be able to use classic mode instead of the stick, and he wasn't able to do it (or couldn't find an obvious way to set it back to classic). so for me to play this game vs. other people i'd have to use the stick. no thanks.

and like i said i tried to give it a 2nd try the 2nd nite i had it, i played it on classic and i just couldn't get a hit. it was too fast for me. i also couldn't strike anyone out.

it's ok, though, i'm adult enough (as much as it hurts to say that) to know when something is just above my level. i don't think a game should be that much work. this isn't like when i picked up COD4 for the 1st time, i sucked tremendously but i still got a few kills here and there. enough to make it worth continuing.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #154
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I downloaded the demo today, hopefully I can get to play it tonight. Maybe, this game will be able to save me from purchasing The Show.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #155
rowech
Pro Starter

Just played with my neighbor again. We turned out of the VIP thing and sure enough, no glitches during play. Still some during replay scenes but I know I don't care about that.

This game is a lot better than folks are giving it credit for being. It's not perfect but it's definitely better than the flak that it's been taking. Not sure if expectations were so high (I know mine were) but it's a solid baseball game and the pitching is cool.

That pitching can really mess with you if you bring in relievers that have completely different timing than the guy you were using previously. I had a five run lead, brought in Valverde for Oswalt in the 9th, and totally lost control. Still won by two but stranded runners on 2nd and 3rd to finish. Timing is totally different pitcher to pitcher. Makes you really need to learn to use your staff.

I have a feeling a lot of the negative reviews are people who just don't like to work at learning to play a game.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #156
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I have a feeling a lot of the negative reviews are people who just don't like to work at learning to play a game.

But really should you?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #157
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
But really should you?

Yes...you should....why should you just hit a button and watch a great pitch? I'd much rather I have more input into the whole pitching process. Fielding is not tough and hitting is not tough. The pitching takes maybe 2-3 games to get down better and then you're set. We're not talking some major learning curve.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #158
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes...you should....why should you just hit a button and watch a great pitch? I'd much rather I have more input into the whole pitching process. Fielding is not tough and hitting is not tough. The pitching takes maybe 2-3 games to get down better and then you're set. We're not talking some major learning curve.
That really depends on the person. I already have a real job, I want play a game to relax, not to have to learn to press a button, twist a stick and release. It's sort of annoying.

That's why I'm getting to hate Madden, I should have to remember 50 different commands... period.

Last edited by DanGarion : 03-07-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #159
DanGarion
Coordinator

Dammit. I'm up on the Padres in the 3rd 4-5 and after the 3rd out of the inning I proceed to watch the Padres defense walk to the dugout and the game just stops there. Once again the game doesn't reset itself after the completion of a play that's going to piss me off. It's almost like the game doesn't like me having a lead.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #160
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
That really depends on the person. I already have a real job, I want play a game to relax, not to have to learn to press a button, twist a stick and release. It's sort of annoying.

That's why I'm getting to hate Madden, I should have to remember 50 different commands... period.

You don't have to remember them all. They have all the pitches right there on the screen, you throw according to a base when you field, and you move your guy. Baserunning is the only thing semi-tough in the game.

I'll give you that Madden has become almost too much.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #161
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've been home for the last 3 days sick and I really have put in a lot of time with this game today. First impressions are the opposite of last year for me, but after playing many games, 2k8 kills 2k7 in every faucet of gameplay.

Take the manual and flush it down the toliet, they must have written that up before actually making the game this year. The in game tips/tutorials are your friends! Study them!!!

Swing stick 2.0, I love it! just before the pitch, pull back - from there forward swings the bat straight, RS to the left and you can attempt to pull one, to the right and attempt one down the line, opposite field (rh hitter), in between.. you get it. I've had hits all over the place now that I understand what I'm freaking doing. The only bad thing is , I don't strike out much at all. Hopefully a slider thing.. but damn do hits FINALLY feel realistic with the 2k series!

I love when I have a reliever warming up in the pen, as soon as he's warm, I get a chime and a pop up telling me so! I love all the different throws that are made, very few are perfect. I love the fact I can pitch 4 shutout innings with Wainwright and I'm working the new pitching system with perfection, then BAM! just like that give up 3 runs as I get over confident and I'm not making perfect pitches anymore. I also love it when I forget to call off my LF and he runs into me as the ball drops between us. Everything is quick thinking in this game and I like that.

You all know I hate walks in a video game, that's just me and on Pro, I'm getting fun games. Just lost to Oakland 6-3, they had 11 hits, I had 8, they also had an error on a pb that allowed me to advance to first base and keep a drive alive. The game is fun, very far from being perfect, but very fun for me.

Some of the presentation gets cutoff and I wish they would have smoothed those out a bit, but for a 9 inning game of baseball, I will NEVER go back to 2k7, not in a million years.

There are some neat things like watching the camera pan after an inning in New York.. it goes past the subway and climbs over the top of the stadium as you can see the players tossing the ball around as the next inning is about to start. VERY COOL

I'm babbling...... once the rosters come out after opening day, I'm ready to start a franchise!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #162
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
You don't have to remember them all. They have all the pitches right there on the screen, you throw according to a base when you field, and you move your guy. Baserunning is the only thing semi-tough in the game.

But what ever happen to teh nice controls of World Series Baseball? They don't need to be much more difficult then that. Do you really want me to take pictures of all the controller setup screens?

Last edited by DanGarion : 03-07-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #163
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The thing I love about baserunning is you can preload where you want your runner(s) to go.. love that feature as I can have my lead runner head home and then worry about the other runner once I see where the CPU is throwing the ball.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #164
rowech
Pro Starter

The baserunning is cool...although I have no clue how to advance just individual runners.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #165
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Dammit. I'm up on the Padres in the 3rd 4-5 and after the 3rd out of the inning I proceed to watch the Padres defense walk to the dugout and the game just stops there. Once again the game doesn't reset itself after the completion of a play that's going to piss me off. It's almost like the game doesn't like me having a lead.

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. I don't know if it's a game problem or a 360 problem because I don't play the XBOX enough to see a pattern. Sure is frustrating to play 6 or 7 innings and have it freeze up though.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #166
darkenigma510
n00b

Did they release a demo for PS3 owners or did I miss this in the PS Store? If they haven't I am a bit disappointed and will have to hold off purchasing. I really want to support this game but 2K makes this a tough call...
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #167
BigDPW
College Prospect

Can anyone with the game post screenshots? I realize that most people cannot with the 360...

I would love to see screenies of the Carolina Mudcats and Durham Bulls ballparks...

Five County Stadium (came with the game)
Durham Bulls Athletic Park (part of expansion on XBL)

If anyone has links to photos of them that would do me too...

I know that wanting to see my hometown ballparks is not a really good reason to purchase the game alone but it is very intriguing that they are both included!

Here are some linkies if you just wanted to post how realistic they look (or not)...

http://www.small-parks.com/FiveCounty.htm
http://www.cattailsrestaurant.com/im...ilsParking.jpg
http://www.ballparkreviews.com/zebulon/zebulon.htm

http://www.ballparkwatch.com/visits/...letic_park.htm
http://www.small-parks.com/durham.htm

It is a shame I cannot get the game and edit it so that both teams are affiliates of the same major league club to play...

Last edited by BigDPW : 03-10-2008 at 05:23 PM.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #168
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I picked this up two nights ago. I think I would really like it, as close to MVP 05 in terms of fun I've had from a baseball game. The problem is, I've played a 'total' of 5 games, 2 I've been able to finish the other 3 have locked up on me. One froze heading into the bottom of the ninght, one froze after the game, and another froze in the 7th or 8th. I don't think it's my system because I haven't had any problems before, but whatever it is (game or system) it's been very frustrating!

Either way I'll keep attempting. I love the pitching, and the hitting is coming along slowly but surely.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #169
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I'm liking this game a lot. However, I'm having a huge problem with the homeruns. There are just too many. I got the sliders set to the point that the CPU is getting doubles and singles, with the right amount of homeruns. But when I'm batting, I have the power all the way down, and I either strike out, ground out, fly out, or hit a homerun. My past 3 games, I've had a total of 9 hits with 9 home runs. I

I guess I'm just going to have to keep tweaking the sliders. I was using a set over from one of the guys at OS.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #170
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

A heads-up for those considering buying the Wii version. There's a game-killing bug in the franchise mode that has been confirmed by several sites. After completing one season, the second season schedule is created with only 10 games for the entire season and every season thereafter.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #171
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
A heads-up for those considering buying the Wii version. There's a game-killing bug in the franchise mode that has been confirmed by several sites. After completing one season, the second season schedule is created with only 10 games for the entire season and every season thereafter.

Thanks Dr. Spock.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #172
darkenigma510
n00b

Anyone here with the PS3 version? How is the s-s-s-s-t-t-ttutter?
Old 03-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #173
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've read it's worse on the ps3 than the 360.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #174
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I've read it's worse on the ps3 than the 360.

You forgot to post links from 100 message boards to back up your claim.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #175
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
You forgot to post links from 100 message boards to back up your claim.

Will a limerick do?

The ps3 has studdering play
Some wish it would go away
Who cares said some
The game is ho-hum
We'll just play The Show, mmmkay?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #176
darkenigma510
n00b

well just tried the PS3 demo:

Thoughts: pitching is great...has potential to be best thing ever included in a vid game

fielding...reminds me a lot of mvp2005 and mvp07 ncaa...which is a good thing

graphics: people said it took a big hit but I don't see it..outside of the grass textures but who cares about that? Graphics look similar to last year..maybe slightly less butu not enough to complain

Overall, I'd like to rent this to make a decision but I think the gameplay is def headed in the right direction...
Old 03-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #177
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Does this year's version have an auto-field or assisted fielding option?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #178
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Does this year's version have an auto-field or assisted fielding option?

Yes and Yes.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #179
Ironhead
College Prospect

So what is the current verdict on this right now? Workarounds are required for the framerate, there are some bad franchise bugs but the gameplay is fun for the most part? Worst case scenario, if a patch never came out how long would see yourself playing the game?
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:21 PM   #180
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I haven't started a franchise yet since I'm waiting on opening day rosters.. if you are going to play with San Diego you'll have to wait for a patch as far as franchise goes.. can't move players up and down from majors to farm I believe.

They are going to fix the framerate issue, at least I believe they will, you can sign out of VIP and it goes away for the time being.

If they patch it, yes.. I'll play it all season long.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #181
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
So what is the current verdict on this right now? Workarounds are required for the framerate, there are some bad franchise bugs but the gameplay is fun for the most part? Worst case scenario, if a patch never came out how long would see yourself playing the game?

With no patch, I probably would only play a month or two solo. But, much like MVP, I could see this being a great game to play with a few buddies while throwing a couple back during the summer. For me the gameplay has been fun, but franchise mode needs work.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #182
Ironhead
College Prospect

Thanks for the replies fellas. Exactly what are the issues with franchise?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #183
markprior22
High School Varsity

Will the San Diego roster issue take care of itself if the CPU is controlling that team or will they be at a huge disadvantage?
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #184
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
Will the San Diego roster issue take care of itself if the CPU is controlling that team or will they be at a huge disadvantage?

Not sure yet as I'm waiting on the patch and opening day rosters, might want to check the OS forums.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:48 PM   #185
Ironhead
College Prospect

Went ahead and picked this one up tonight. Enjoyed the demo and the reviews seem overblown with the stuttering issue.

Looking to jump right into a franchise but I haven't followed baseball closely for a couple of years. Does anyone have a suggestion for a middle-ish of the road team with good speed and an interesting pitching staff?
Old 03-22-2008, 03:12 AM   #186
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Phillies have good speed. They have one of the best young pitchers in baseball with Cole Hamels. Add Kyle Kendrick, Jaimie Moyer and Brett Myers and you have a nice mix in the rotation.

Oh yeah, also add one of the top current power hitters in the game with Ryan Howard.

I may be a little bias though...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #187
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Phillies have good speed. They have one of the best young pitchers in baseball with Cole Hamels. Add Kyle Kendrick, Jaimie Moyer and Brett Myers and you have a nice mix in the rotation.

Oh yeah, also add one of the top current power hitters in the game with Ryan Howard.

I may be a little bias though...

Thanks for the suggestion. The Phillies are a little too good for my tastes though - I tend to be a glutton for punishment in my dynasties and don't mind losing more than winning.

Grabbed some sliders over from OS and played my first full exhibition game and wow...it was great. I drew 8, yes 8, walks in the game. I don't remember the last time that happened in a video game.

Don't see what all the fuss is about with the framerate. Maybe I am just not as demanding as the younger crowd but everything seemed fine to me.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #188
Logan
Head Coach

Do you have a link to those sliders? My game should be here in a couple days.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #189
Logan
Head Coach

You can give Tampa a shot. A ton of young talent, some good pitchers (Kazmir, Shields, Garza) and the added challenge of going up against the Yankees and Red Sox.

Last edited by Logan : 03-22-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #190
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You can give Tampa a shot. A ton of young talent, some good pitchers (Kazmir, Shields, Garza) and the added challenge of going up against the Yankees and Red Sox.

Funny, that is who I was leaning toward going with. Last time I ran a franchise in MVP 05 I had Carl Crawford on my team and absolutely loved the guy.

The link to the sliders I used are here:
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...able-file.html
Old 03-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #191
Logan
Head Coach

Thanks.

I tend to run two franchises at once...the Mets, which I'll play primarily, and another team where I'll play more of the GM, with a game thrown in here and there. I'll probably go with Tampa for that one.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #192
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. The Phillies are a little too good for my tastes though - I tend to be a glutton for punishment in my dynasties and don't mind losing more than winning.

Grabbed some sliders over from OS and played my first full exhibition game and wow...it was great. I drew 8, yes 8, walks in the game. I don't remember the last time that happened in a video game.

Don't see what all the fuss is about with the framerate. Maybe I am just not as demanding as the younger crowd but everything seemed fine to me.

Will have to check those out once the opening day rosters are released.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #193
Ironhead
College Prospect

Haven't been playing this too much. I was having so much trouble reading the text in the game that I have finally submitted to the fact that I need glasses. I might as well wait for opening day rosters at this point. Anyone know when 2K plans to release them?

In the meantime I revamped a Microsoft Access database I originally built for MVP 2005 for use with the game. I added some more bells and whistles to the new version of the database and can track:

* Stats between user definite date ranges
* Home/Away splits
* Day/Night splits
* Grass/Turf splits
* Month by month stats (Pre & Post-All Star game stats also)
* Stats by Opponent
* Pitching Game Scores

The one thing I really wish it could do was track hitting streaks but I could never get the code to work for it. Why can't I ever just K.I.S.S. and just play the darn game? lol
Old 03-28-2008, 02:47 AM   #194
watravaler
High School JV

Online game-play is still unacceptable, imo...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #195
Ironhead
College Prospect

Still waiting on the patch and opening day rosters.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #196
Coop
High School JV

i played this over my friends house the other day.. i'm so happy I bought a PS3 for mlb the show
Old 04-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #197
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

According to OS, the patch for MLB 2k8 is out today.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #198
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Interesting, thank you!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #199
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Just to clarify, there's only a patch for the 360 version. Sales on the PS3 must have been pretty lousy because they decided not to issue a patch for the PS3 version despite it having the same issues as the 360 version.

The 360 patch provides some improvement on framerate and fixes the SD Padres bug. Strangely, no online play fixes were made. From the press release............

Quote:
“The update will increase the frames per second to help improve the overall gameplay experience, along with correcting an issue in Franchise mode when playing as the San Diego Padres and attempting to move players to and from their minor league roster.”
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #200
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Do you have a link to the press release? There are conflicting views on what the patch does, and on whether or not a PS3 patch will be following.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-08-2008 at 08:16 AM.