Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #151
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

After watching Conan for a couple of weeks, I officially am requesting that Andy Richter be permanently removed. He is just awkward out there, and it even looks like Conan is trying desperately to include him but just can't find ways to make his presence anything but awkward.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #152
DanGarion
Coordinator

I've only watched a few episodes, but the Thanksgiving show was hilarious for the sole fact that the Time Warner Cable trainer that was training Conan is one of our trainers here in SoCal.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #153
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Leno (and Letterman) beat Conan 18-49 this week ... but that's not what caught my attention in the latest numbers
Jay Leno’s Tonight Show Ratings Top Conan’s Shows Past & Present

What I thought was more interesting was what one of the forum readers pointed out: that both Jay & Dave are steady to slightly up now versus pre-Conan on TBS; i.e. there's not really any sign of overlap. Meanwhile, if you try to account for the 0.4 that used to belong to George Lopez in the timeslot as mostly sticking with Conan then there's roughly the same number of those as there as Conan-specific viewers on TBS.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #154
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I'm surprised it's doing so well. The fact he's even competing on cable with those two is impressive. I still think we'll see a drop as things continue, but as long as he can hover around a 0.6-0.7, TBS should be happy.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #155
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

One other note about Conan. He needs to drop the crap about what happened to him this year. I get it that he is bitter and it was entertaining for awhile. But at some point he needs to realize he's a millionaire with a nice life and complaining about that on TV grows old. He needs to drop the jokes about it and just focus on being himself.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #156
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
One other note about Conan. He needs to drop the crap about what happened to him this year. I get it that he is bitter and it was entertaining for awhile. But at some point he needs to realize he's a millionaire with a nice life and complaining about that on TV grows old. He needs to drop the jokes about it and just focus on being himself.

This. Also, Conan, can you please fucking stop with the ridiculous dancing, weird faces, awkward strutting, and all the other nonsense? I much prefer you tell jokes without the awkwardness afterwards, it just implies that you aren't sure if you are funny enough and need something to follow it with.

k thanx
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #157
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
This. Also, Conan, can you please fucking stop with the ridiculous dancing, weird faces, awkward strutting, and all the other nonsense? I much prefer you tell jokes without the awkwardness afterwards, it just implies that you aren't sure if you are funny enough and need something to follow it with.

k thanx

You do realize that Conan has been doing this pretty much his whole career and that is part of why people like him? Not sure why would he would change something that is part of his appeal to his fans. I like that Conan is a little goofy. I find Jay and Dave a little too uptight for my liking.

BTW, I do agree with Andy Richter. I was a bit too young to remember him on the first show before he left, but I just don't get it. I like him, but he doesn't come across as funny to me on the show. Conan did fine with the band without a sidekick if he needed to bring an outside person in, why can't he still do that without Andy?

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-03-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #158
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
You do realize that Conan has been doing this pretty much his whole career and that is part of why people like him? Not sure why would he would change something that is part of his appeal to his fans. I like that Conan is a little goofy. I find Jay and Dave a little too uptight for my liking.

Oh I am aware of this, I have been watching him since the early/mid 90's. I like Conan, I just wish he would cut back on the physical comedy schtick a little, it's actually rather annoying and makes me feel awkward watching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
BTW, I do agree with Andy Richter. I was a bit too young to remember him on the first show before he left, but I just don't get it. I like him, but he doesn't come across as funny to me on the show. Conan did fine with the band without a sidekick if he needed to bring an outside person in, why can't he still do that without Andy?

I like Andy but he looks completely out of place on this show. He was much better the first time around, now it just looks forced.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #159
RedKingGold
College Starter

Was Harrison Ford drunk or stoned during his Conan appearance?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #160
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:

k thanx

I don't even think that's much of an act. He's crazy and imo what he does says he doesn't care if he makes a fool out of himself. I admire that. I make weird faces out on dates and some girls love it.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #161
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
I make weird faces out on dates and some girls love it.

I'm afraid to ask.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:27 AM   #162
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Was Harrison Ford drunk or stoned during his Conan appearance?

He's like that in almost every appearance I've seen him. He's an odd duck.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #163
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
I don't even think that's much of an act. He's crazy and imo what he does says he doesn't care if he makes a fool out of himself. I admire that. I make weird faces out on dates and some girls love it.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #164
molson
General Manager

Loving the Conan "previews" of the spiderman musical.

molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #165
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Loving the Conan "previews" of the spiderman musical.

The last one was funny, I saw it last night. Gotta love the Wonderwoman with chest hair...............
Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #166
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:

k thanx

sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #167
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

what?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #168
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Got a kick out of last night's episode. Andy Richter was actually pretty funny when he and Conan were doing a Charles Manson telephone banter. I can't find a video of it though.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #169
Galaxy
Coordinator

I really liked tonight's show. Has to be one of my favorite Conan shows since the Late Night show.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #170
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I really liked tonight's show. Has to be one of my favorite Conan shows since the Late Night show.

Andy was wrapped up by a cat.....
Old 02-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #171
Galaxy
Coordinator

Interesting article on "Conan 2.0" from Fortune.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/02/10/conan-2-0/

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-13-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:37 AM   #172
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interesting article on "Conan 2.0" from Fortune.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/02/10/conan-2-0/

Interesting article ... but he sure better hope that social media can sustain him. The .5 rating he pulled this week (for the second time in six weeks) isn't gonna keep him well paid or on-air. By comparision, George Lopez was getting a .4 & Chelsea Handler is getting the same size audience as Conan.

Looks like it's a lot easier to follow someone's Tweets than it is to, you know, be able to watch their show.

And yes, I'm LMAO at the slow but steady crash & burn.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #173
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The funniest thing about all this to me is NBC. Jay used to absolutely dominate Dave night after night. It was a rare occurrence for Dave to beat Jay on an individual night, but it happens regularly now. For instance, Letterman won on Tuesday and Thursday last week and lost by only 0.1 on Monday and Wednesday.

Basically, NBC paid a ton of money to both Conan and Jay, destroyed their primetime lineup, and ended up in a worse position in late night. There's no doubt that the biggest winner in this whole mess is Dave.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #174
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
The funniest thing about all this to me is NBC. Jay used to absolutely dominate Dave night after night. It was a rare occurrence for Dave to beat Jay on an individual night, but it happens regularly now. For instance, Letterman won on Tuesday and Thursday last week and lost by only 0.1 on Monday and Wednesday.

Basically, NBC paid a ton of money to both Conan and Jay, destroyed their primetime lineup, and ended up in a worse position in late night. There's no doubt that the biggest winner in this whole mess is Dave.

Indeed. NBS is run by a bunch of morons.

I root for Conan though. I'm a fan. I hope that someone that funny gets a prominent spot in American culture and if late night TBS is where that train stops, I guess that's OK.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:09 AM   #175
Comey
College Starter

Conan was on Jimmy Pardo's podcast (find it on iTunes) a few days ago. Pardo is a comedian of some small consequence (I've seen a Comedy Central special that was okay)...and it turns out that he warms up the crowd before Conan's show. I haven't heard the whole thing yet, but what I have heard is quite funny. And it's over an hour long. Giddyup.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #176
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I like Conan but I think his problem is that his audience doesn't watch TV the same way older generations do. We don't necessarily have shows we need to tune in live for anymore. Many of us watch on DVRs or catch clips of the funniest stuff online. I haven't really watched SNL in forever for this reason.

I get the feeling that Dave and Lenos advantage ratings wise are due to that more than anything. I don't think any late night talk show host will ever have huge ratings again.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #177
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's interesting to me because I thought it would be more of the opposite. Something like late night tv is more prone to timely watching that other sorts of shows. Basically, if I haven't watched it in a week- what do I care about the monologue about silly stuff that happened a week ago or an interview with some actor whose movie is now out of the theater? This is as opposed to a normal drama where I don't mind racking up 5 weeks worth and then watching them over 2 nights.

To me, the killer is putting it up against the Daily Show and Colbert. I suspect there was a lot of crossover there. I found myself often watching The Daily Show and maybe half of Colbert before switching over and watching almost all of Conan. Now you're making me choose between one or the other so instead of watching 1.5 hours of both, I just go with 1.0 hour of one, at most.

Also, I don't think it's much of a limb to go out on to assume any late night talk show host will ever have huge ratings again. Very few things do nowadays due to massive audience splintering. That which in the 80s passed for 2nd place on a particular night would be the highest rated thing on tv right now- that's just the nature of having 400 channels vs 4.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #178
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Every time this thread gets bumped, I assume that the show is cancelled.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #179
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Every time this thread gets bumped, I assume that the show is cancelled.

Patience padawan, patience.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #180
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Patience padawan, patience.

You take much glee in the failings of others.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #181
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I like Conan. Watched it once, realized it's the same format as this type of show was decades ago, wondered how they continue to survive, stopped watching.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #182
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Actually, my glee here is for the apoplexy that will strike the Coconuts (or whateverthehell they call themselves), not for the guy himself.

Conan fans, however, make damned near anyone else's fanbase seem much more likable.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #183
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

Yup, that's internet forums for you. A whole lot of self-important hatred spewing forth. And he's even using a form of the "fanboy" insult in saying "coconuts". Hysterical.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #184
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Yup, that's internet forums for you. A whole lot of self-important hatred spewing forth. And he's even using a form of the "fanboy" insult in saying "coconuts". Hysterical.

What can I say? I find his fans - at least those vocal fanatical ones - to be among the most obnoxious critters I've encountered on the internet. Whatever makes them miserable is likely to make me happy. Considering his steady descent, I've been very well behaved & have gloated very little compared how very pleased I am to see it. It honestly brings a smile to my face every time his numbers drop another tick.

If that bugs you, FOFC has a lovely ignore feature.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #185
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Interesting article ... but he sure better hope that social media can sustain him. The .5 rating he pulled this week (for the second time in six weeks) isn't gonna keep him well paid or on-air. By comparision, George Lopez was getting a .4 & Chelsea Handler is getting the same size audience as Conan.

Looks like it's a lot easier to follow someone's Tweets than it is to, you know, be able to watch their show.

And yes, I'm LMAO at the slow but steady crash & burn.
I'm not sure there is a crash & burn here. Conan's ratings aren't fantastic, but his first half hour vs. TDS and Lately are the key, and he is faring better in that first half hour than the second half hour -- maybe not as much as TBS would have hoped, but he's holding his own. I think TBS is reasonably pleased with their investment -- he's made the network relevant, and I'd imagine that TBS ratings in all day parts are higher now than they were before due to the exposure and promotion. The article brings up that Conan's value to TBS goes beyond merely eyeballs at 11 p.m.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #186
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
What can I say? I find his fans - at least those vocal fanatical ones - to be among the most obnoxious critters I've encountered on the internet. Whatever makes them miserable is likely to make me happy. Considering his steady descent, I've been very well behaved & have gloated very little compared how very pleased I am to see it. It honestly brings a smile to my face every time his numbers drop another tick.

If that bugs you, FOFC has a lovely ignore feature.

In all seriousness, who the fuck are you talking about? What internet sites are you reading where Conan fans are being obnoxious critters, and if such sites exist, why are you reading them?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #187
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I think TBS is reasonably pleased with their investment

If you think they paid him that much to provide the same basic number as George Lopez, you're out of your tree. And in a few more weeks, that's where he'll be (if he's lucky). They also didn't pay him that much to be neck & neck with Chelsea f'n Handler for cryin' out loud.

Quote:
The article brings up that Conan's value to TBS goes beyond merely eyeballs at 11 p.m.

Largely to their egos (which aren't insignificant at Turner, to be sure). In the end, it's the numbers that people are going to pay for. Or, in this case, not pay for.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
What internet sites are you reading where Conan fans are being obnoxious critters, and if such sites exist, why are you reading them?

Pretty much every TV-related site out there was overrun by those obnoxious hipper-than-thou fuckheads for months on end. And I'm not talking about the purely fan-oriented ones, I'm talking about the more broadcaster/advertising oriented ones. They're kind of part & parcel of my job, y'know.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #189
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Every late night show was down last week, except for Conan. he was up by a tenth to 0.6, almost certainly because Daily Show was in repeats.

Leno 1.0
Dave 0.9
Nightline 0.9
Conan 0.6
Jon 0.4

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 02-17-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #190
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Jon 0.4

Interesting.

I didn't realize the reach of the FOFC was big enough to get a .4, but I'll take it considering we really don't have a marketing budget nor a production staff.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #191
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Interesting.

I didn't realize the reach of the FOFC was big enough to get a .4, but I'll take it considering we really don't have a marketing budget nor a production staff.

Ha! Just imagine how good you would have done if you weren't in reruns.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #192
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
if you weren't in reruns.

We like to call them "Best Of's"
Old 05-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #193
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Norm is on tonight. Be advised.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #194
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Norm is on tonight. Be advised.

YAY!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #195
Galaxy
Coordinator

LOL
Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #196
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

This man has not lost a step. I need an all Norm cable channel.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #197
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
This man has not lost a step. I need an all Norm cable channel.

I think he's even funnier when the other guest is on.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #198
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The George Lopez cancellation reminded me to take a look at the COB numbers.

I'm sure he's happy this week, the latest ratings (last week of July) saw him pull within 100k viewers of Carson Daly.

The 18-49 audience remains at the same rating that Lopez pulled in the same time slot.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #199
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
The George Lopez cancellation reminded me to take a look at the COB numbers.

I'm sure he's happy this week, the latest ratings (last week of July) saw him pull within 100k viewers of Carson Daly.

The 18-49 audience remains at the same rating that Lopez pulled in the same time slot.

I haven't heard about the end of his show. I truthfully never watched it in the 3 years.

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-10-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #200
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I haven't heard about the end of his show.

I posted that link in the Fall TV thread