Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2003, 10:19 PM   #151
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
I don't think I haven seen a 'coach' mode that works well since the days of FPS Football. I never joystick'ed one down with that series, but with Madden and NCAA, I get too frustrated and just play the game.

Todd

Actually, you could get much better games out of this years NCAA and last years Madden than you could ever get out FPS. Sadly, this years Madden seems to be a bust on that front.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 10:24 PM   #152
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
Actually, you could get much better games out of this years NCAA and last years Madden than you could ever get out FPS. Sadly, this years Madden seems to be a bust on that front.

Yeah, I know you've been working on NCAA quite a bit, but since FPS, I haven't tried. Too bad Madden hasn't gone well for you.

It would be nice to have a good 'coach' mode with some graphics, that's for sure.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:20 PM   #153
sabotai
General Manager

My thoughts.

1) I get the "Haven't I played this game before, but this one has worse graphics?" feeling. I have Madden 2003 for PC, and bought Madden 2004 for PS2 (mainly for importing from NCAA and the playbook editor). It's essentially the same as last year, but the interface sucks even more.

2) The graphics on PC is infinately better. I can't even read the name on the back of the jersey on the PS2 version!!

3) Therefore, this will be my last Madden PS2 game...I know they give PC users the shaft with certain features, but hell, I hate looking at flickering midfield logos on kickoffs.

4) I put my pass blocking all the way up, and the CPU pass blocking all the way down. That seems to level the playing field as far as sacks go.

5) Owner mode is cool, however. Unlike mrskippy, I do not see any real similarities with te city information. It's all generic stuff that any sim icluding cities would include in a game.

6) The mini-camp training before the preseason is cool. Gives you something added to do in th eoffseason that's fun.

7) Still need to work the sliders.

8) Damn it! They needed SI covers! Why no SI Covers!?

9) While playing this game, I'm spending a lot of time thinking of my CM4 dynasty....

EDIT: 10) This year's version has more of an arcade feel to it than a realistic presentation than last years. I don't know why specifically, but it feel smore like an arcade game.

Last edited by sabotai : 08-14-2003 at 11:21 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 01:06 AM   #154
Raven
College Prospect

I can't believe some of these things haven't been discussed yet, but.....

I played one game, and watched two guys play another. We didn't touch the sliders.

There are play-actions now. When your QB drops back and fakes a handoff, your RB runs up the gut and you can't tell who has the ball (ala Tecmo Bowl). I was playing my roommate and we both loved this feature. It definitely fools the defense for a second or two.

When QB's roll out, you get a new angle. No longer are you directly behind the QB with a 180 degree angle; you now get more of a 135/225 degree angle (depending on which sideline you are running towards) and it gives you a better idea of the seperation between your eligible receivers and the defensive players. The angle change isn't real fast either, so it doesn't screw you up.

If you get plowed on a punt return (where you should have called for a fair catch) you are probably going to fumble.

I didn't see as many dropped passes, but there did seem to be quite a few fumbles - though I don't quite remember if it was "too" many. Interceptions didn't seem too high; most were just poor passes getting picked off.

The on-field colors look crisper as well. Grass has texture, and the uniforms look very sharp.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 01:39 AM   #155
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

I wasn't too impressed with the play action. In a game against the Colts, they kept trying it over and over and over with very little success. They refused to stop even though they were losing more yards to sacks than they were gaining from the rare pass that got off. I think we ended up with seven sacks in the game and three or four picks from hitting Manning as he threw the ball. I would have loved it if the CPU teams knew they had to establish the running game before dedicating half of their attempts to play action passes. I will say the extra hits being put on James for his part of the attempts were almost as much fun as the ones on Manning.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:10 AM   #156
sabotai
General Manager

Raven, pretty much all those things are in NCAA 2004. Might be why no one said anything about them.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 07:33 AM   #157
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I haven't really noticed receivers looking back at the ball like in NCAA.

My favorite thing that I have seen is when I was at the 20 yard line, Jay Fiedler dropped back to pass and passed it to TE Pruitt, Pruitt breaks one tackle and doesn't look like he'll make it to the endzone with 2 NE DB's running at an angle. Get to the 3 yard line press square for the hell of it. Pruitt does a modified pylon dive, and the NE DB dove to and hit him in mid-air. Pruitt barely got in, but it was the most coolest thing I've ever seen.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 03:02 PM   #158
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Well I was going to play one of my friends online last night, but when I tried I came to the disappointing realization that I can no loner get my PS2 connected. It's been quite awhile since I took my PS2 online (about 11 months... since Madden 2003). I think my ISP was bought out between then and now. I can't think of anything it would be. I tried everything I could possibly think of... what do you guys think?
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 04:14 PM   #159
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Madden server has been up and down. Maybe you just caught it when it was down.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 04:19 PM   #160
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

No, the connection test failed from the startup disk too It's really annoying because the first time I set it up it worked without a hitch.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 06:20 PM   #161
Tasan
College Starter

Resolution on the disc not working problem: Basically if you run any cd copying software that creates a virtual drive, like Clone CD, Alcohol, or even some versions of Roxio Easy CD, you have to kill the virtual drives. Another example of copy protection going above and beyond what its intended for. argh....