Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #151
RainMaker
General Manager

I still think Cleveland is the cream of the crop thanks to Lebron, but I'm less confident they'll be in the Finals this year than I was a week or so ago.

The Bulls are better than a #8 seed but barely snuck in thanks to major injuries throughout the season. But still, the Cavs have had some trouble in this series. Maybe they win in 5 and everyone goes on their way, but I think Game 2 and 3 showed some serious flaws defensively.

The Bulls have been extremely efficient the last two games (and they are not an efficient offense). Not a lot of turnovers and some very open looks. While Lebron has done his thing when he's needed to, the rest of that team has not been good defensively. They aren't forcing turnovers at all and letting Rose completely destroy them. That will work in the first round against an overmatched Bulls squad, but I don't think you can be that lax against the better teams.

And Shaq sucks. He'll back his fat ass into 15 points a night but he's a huge liability on the court against any center who can run the floor. Noah beat him down the court regularly to the point that they had to pull him in the 2nd half. I don't even want to know what Dwight Howard is going to do to him.

I also think people need to realize how important a title is for Lebron. Despite his age, he's in his prime now and probably only has 5-7 more years left as an elite performer. There are a lot of minutes on that body and he's going to have to start winning titles soon if he wants to be up there with elites.

Last edited by RainMaker : 04-23-2010 at 06:28 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #152
larrymcg421
Head Coach

LOL, Wade runs into Rondo's back and Rondo gets called for the foul. I don't think NBA officiating is rigged. I just think it makes absolutely no sense.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #153
larrymcg421
Head Coach

LOL, studio host mentions Dwyane Wade's comments about being able to come back from a 2-0 deficit like they did in 2006, and then throws it to Avery Johnson. Cold.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #154
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pierce buzzerbeater FTW!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #155
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hoooooolleee shit. I was screaming at the tv "Drive! Do something! Three seconds.. SHOOOT DAMN YOU! NOOOOO..... YES!"
Old 04-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #156
TroyF
Coordinator

Nuggets/Jazz series is about over. Denver, for the most part isn't even trying. The only guy who is is Melo and if the Jazz have how to defend him down cold. Simply flop, flop, flop and watch the refs call foul after foul. it's fucking comical. How they can justify a call like that last one on Mathews?

It isn't going to decide the game, the Jazz are the only team that wants to play tonight. But it's still disgusting. Melo with 22 shot attempts tonight. 17 actual, 4 offensive fouls on Jazz flops and 2 FT attempts. Just comical.

As for the Jazz, the flopping will work on Melo. it won't on Kobe. They'll also face a team that actually cares to play some defense. They'll be done in round two.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 AM   #157
RainMaker
General Manager

I told you that's why Utah is such a tough out. The stadium is built so fans are right on top of the court and those fans are nasty. There is always home cooking in the playoffs with the refs, but they get scared in Utah and sort of feed off the energy of the crowd.

You guys did get to the line 35 times so it's not like they weren't blowing the whistle on them.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #158
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
In fairness to Troy here, I screamed at the television for the exact same reason.

It's funny, I saw this same play, and didn't see at first who shot it, just assumed at that point of the game it had to be Durant. Then the announcer said Ibaka misses the jump shot, and I lmao.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:23 AM   #159
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
LOL, studio host mentions Dwyane Wade's comments about being able to come back from a 2-0 deficit like they did in 2006, and then throws it to Avery Johnson. Cold.

Cold. And yet completely awesome.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #160
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Spurs withstand a 17-0 third quarter run by the Mavs to beat Dallas in an extremely hard fought game. Duncan, Parker and Ginobili played like it was '07 and George Hill had his first good game of the series. Parker's injuries the last couple of seasons may have been a blessing in disguise. He looked as fresh as he's looked since the start of '08 last night. Hill has had a chance to get some experience and is becoming a solid player.

Dirk played just about as well as he could play but Caron Butler was invisible and Terry faded down the stretch. If all the remaining games are as intense as last night's, I have a hard time seeing either team getting past Phoenix in the next round. The winner is going to be physically and mentally drained.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #161
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
LOL, Wade runs into Rondo's back and Rondo gets called for the foul. I don't think NBA officiating is rigged. I just think it makes absolutely no sense.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #162
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Spurs withstand a 17-0 third quarter run by the Mavs to beat Dallas in an extremely hard fought game. Duncan, Parker and Ginobili played like it was '07 and George Hill had his first good game of the series. Parker's injuries the last couple of seasons may have been a blessing in disguise. He looked as fresh as he's looked since the start of '08 last night. Hill has had a chance to get some experience and is becoming a solid player.

Dirk played just about as well as he could play but Caron Butler was invisible and Terry faded down the stretch. If all the remaining games are as intense as last night's, I have a hard time seeing either team getting past Phoenix in the next round. The winner is going to be physically and mentally drained.

agree, this was a "slugfest" in the best possible way (well, if you are only watching). I don´t think any player got to any spot without getting bumped a couple times and every shot was contested.
Tough loss for the Mavs but i don´t think that series is close to decided, can very well see the Mavs winning game 4.

Nowitzki indeed played a great game, at some point it´s not on the best player but on the role players to step up. The only one that really did that yesterday was Barea, who´s playing a pretty good series again.
Still i´d like to see more Beaubois in game 4.

Tim Duncan has been amazing so far, very impressive showing so far ! And it´s not like Dampier is playing bad defense, he´s actually playing Duncan very well i think.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #163
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Is Phil Jackson getting increasingly desperate? His tactic of 'deflect attention toward someone else when my team doesn't get the job done' wore out its welcome long ago.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #164
MrBug708
Head Coach

10 rings is hard to argue with
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #165
whomario
Pro Starter

Brandon Roy has been activated, 8 days after knee surgery I had that same injury and surgery twice and i barely could walk without crutches after 8 days. Even when you don´t have to "do" much inside the knee and it´s a minor surgery, that´s absolutely unbelievable.

Charlotte finishing the game with, um, not good late-game execution ... Huge FTs by Gortat to finish the game and essentially the series.

Last edited by whomario : 04-24-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #166
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Great reception for Roy by the Blazer fans.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #167
RainMaker
General Manager

Is there any risk for further damage? If so, it's kind of silly to bring him back.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #168
whomario
Pro Starter

not really, at least not directly. Of course, there´s allways the risk of sub-consciously favoring one side or just make unusual moves. But the injury/surgery itself really shouldn´t cause any serious problems (some swelling of course could allways happen).
It´s basically a "if you can do sth you are allowed to do it medically" type of injury.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #169
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wow - that was an absurd fucking call.

i hope kobe fucking breaks his leg and has to retire...that was ridiculous. clear travel and then he bitches and gets it reversed.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #170
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Blame the refs.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #171
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The Lakers should just pack it up and concede this one. They've been outhustled on both ends of the floor and are having a nightmare of a game.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #172
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The Thunder are going to be downright frightening in a year or two. Wow.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #173
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I ahve no doubt that the Lakers will blow the Thunder out when they get back to LA, but this is a fun feel goo basketball game.

Reminds me of the very early Charlotte Hornet days...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #174
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I ahve no doubt that the Lakers will blow the Thunder out when they get back to LA, but this is a fun feel goo basketball game.

Reminds me of the very early Charlotte Hornet days...

Which was favorite team as well until the dismantling.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:25 AM   #175
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I fully expect Phil Jackson to petition the league about the distracting problem of fans wearing the same colored shirts as the home team. 'Course David Stern will not do anything about the problem because that would mean he would be acting too heavy-handed.

I still see LA winning this series, but it was hard not to start seeing flashes of Dallas-Golden St. from '07 last night with the raucous crowd and the underdog playing lights out.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #176
RainMaker
General Manager

About 6 hours from heading to the United Center for Game 4 of Cavs-Bulls. This series has turned out to be a lot funner than I had thought it would be.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #177
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
wow - that was an absurd fucking call.

i hope kobe fucking breaks his leg and has to retire...that was ridiculous. clear travel and then he bitches and gets it reversed.

Ahahahaha
Old 04-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #178
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Lebron's obviously the superior player but I do wish he handled himself with the class that MJ and DWade do.

Wade's gone nuts this game, single handedly beating Boston.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #179
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Ahahahaha

you're kidding me that you're somehow going to try to say that wasn't a travel? it was clear as fucking day, and the refs had it right the first time, until kobe bitched enough to get it overturned
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #180
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
you're kidding me that you're somehow going to try to say that wasn't a travel? it was clear as fucking day, and the refs had it right the first time, until kobe bitched enough to get it overturned

I think his response was about your ridiculous "breaking leg" overreaction than anything to do with the play itself.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #181
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

CR had it right. I can also appreciate the irony in you pointing out how Kobe "bitched" about the call.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #182
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Lebron's obviously the superior player but I do wish he handled himself with the class that MJ and DWade do.

Wade's gone nuts this game, single handedly beating Boston.

Getting the props on Wade prior to his tenure in Chi-town?
Old 04-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #183
whomario
Pro Starter

James needs to stop shooting 3s, at least at the rate he´s doing now and of the variety he´s taking them, there´s just no reason .

I love Hubie Brown. I get that he can be annoying to some, but he flatout knows what he´s talking about in comparison to couple other of those "experts" on the air.

Last edited by whomario : 04-25-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #184
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Getting the props on Wade prior to his tenure in Chi-town?

Hah, I'd love nothing more than to see Wade come back home and play but I think he's the least likeliest to leave. Every sign I get from him suggests he loves living in South Beach.

Don't know how much of a match him and Rose would be together anyway, as both are perimeter players who need the ball.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #185
TroyF
Coordinator

Kobe in games 1 and 2 - Averages 13.5 FT a game.

Kobe in games 3 and 4 - 1 FT a game.

hmmm, I wonder if Kobe might be going to the line 20 times in game 5.

Dallas beats the Spurs by 6 in game one with a +20 FTA advantage. they lose the next two games. One was equal, one was +11 for the Spurs.

Wade gets to the foul line 16 times in the first three games. Miami loses all three. He gets to the line 14 times in game four.

The reffing in the playoffs has been comical, inconsistent and all personality based. Just another year with Stern as the MAN.

As for the games themselves: OKC was unbelievable the other night. I picked the Suns to get out of the west, I'm starting to believe it might be the Spurs. I don't think the Lakers will make it out this year. I'm not impressed at all with what Cleveland is doing. I think they may have a much tougher time with the Celtics than anyone first thought.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #186
TroyF
Coordinator

As for the Nuggets, I'll be stunned if they are within 20 of the Jazz tonight. Billups and Melo are playing hard. Lawson is as well. Kenyon is hurt far worse than he's letting on. Nene has been a total disaster this series and the Nuggets are getting the ugly version of JR. Combine that with the jazz flopping and getting four offensive fouls a game on Melo because of it, and I don't see how Denver stays in this series. I almost with AK had played now. They never gave AK the flops they are giving Myles and Dwill.

One final note about the Cavs. . . I'm watching the Bulls consistently pass the ball around and get open shots. As the Bulls can't shoot worth a crap, many of these open shots are missed, but it isn't changing the fact that the Bulls can get an open 15 footer virtually anytime they want it, especially with Shaq on the floor. Maybe I'm being too critical, but if they don't turn it up about 3 levels, they are going to have to rely on James outscoring the other team the entire playoffs. I don't think they can win that way.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #187
TroyF
Coordinator

One more dola here. . .

Noah is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. If you'd have asked me four months ago who I'd rather have, Varajeo or Noah, i'd have said Varajeo without question. The Varajeo/Noah matchup in the last three games has been comical. Noah is owning the guy all over the court.

The Bulls get a solid free agent and a real coach, it wouldn't shock me at all to see them and OKC in the NBA Finals as early as next year.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #188
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Bulls shooting 40% and still in striking distance in the first half, I guess I can't complain too bad.

I love watching Deng run out every time Lebron is shooting, that's worked real well for the Bulls so far. We need to try to make a couple 3's and establish that threat.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #189
stevew
Hall Of Famer

LeBron nailed that almost half courter like it was nothing. Crazy.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #190
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

He's entered the NBA Jam "He's on Fire" mode.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #191
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
One more dola here. . .

Noah is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. If you'd have asked me four months ago who I'd rather have, Varajeo or Noah, i'd have said Varajeo without question. The Varajeo/Noah matchup in the last three games has been comical. Noah is owning the guy all over the court.

The Bulls get a solid free agent and a real coach, it wouldn't shock me at all to see them and OKC in the NBA Finals as early as next year.

He has shown me skills that I did not know he had. He still has the hustle and his ability to be a pain in the ass but he has also showed some very good passing skills. He still causes me to cringe whenever he takes a shot though. While I still don't think he is a starter for a championship team, he has exceeded the expectations that I had for him when he was drafted.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #192
miami_fan
Coordinator

BTW That crowd in Milwaukee last night sounded great last night.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #193
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Lebron's more worried about showboating, dancing, and looking pretty. It's why despite being the most physically gifted player to ever play the game, he's yet to win a championship at the halfway point of his prime. Lebron wants to dance and choreograph introductions, Jordan just wanted to kick the shit out of you on the court.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #194
sooner333
College Starter

On the travel, the local (OKC) announcers said it likely wasn't a travel because the ball was touched while he was in the air, so he had a free dribble. It is ridiculous that he got the call reversed due to his pouting though--right or wrong.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #195
ace1914
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

There is nothing wrong with Del Negro. They took Salmons away and gave him a couple of scrubs. Plus Noah, Deng and Rose were pretty banged up for a good part of the season. This is why the Cavs have had a bit of a problem with the Bulls. They are a 5 or 6 seed with everyone healthy. Not enough to beat you, but enough to take you to six games.
ace1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #196
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Lebron's more worried about showboating, dancing, and looking pretty. It's why despite being the most physically gifted player to ever play the game, he's yet to win a championship at the halfway point of his prime. Lebron wants to dance and choreograph introductions, Jordan just wanted to kick the shit out of you on the court.

Jordan was 28 before he won a title!

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 04-25-2010 at 08:20 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #197
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post

Jordan also got the same criticism before he won his first title as well. Remember how he was doing too much dunking and fancy shooting to ever win a title?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #198
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I think LeBron compares to Magic Johnson.
Dewayne Wade is like a young Jordan.
Kobe Bryant is the old Jordan.

I hate the Celtics.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #199
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Feels like San Antonio is choking this game away..

Until Manu hit that huge 3.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #200
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
Lebron is deeper into his career than Jordan. NBA isn't about age, it's about minutes on the body. Most players breakdown at the same number of minutes.