Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #151
RainMaker
General Manager

My next task is to figure out how to add music and such. There seem to be some guys that have built sound files that give unique music to almost every player.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #152
BigPapi
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
No, it didn't, but nothing I would say would convince you otherwise.

Wait...I am confused. When you said "They are aware of the retirement issue and are working on a solution."- On what basis did you make this statement? I understand you didn't read it somewhere....Was this a personal conversation with someone at SCEA? Can you elaborate at all?
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #153
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
6-7 minute download to the HDD. Lame.

On the PS3, get used to it. The better-looking the game, the more likely it will be to need files installed if you don't want to suffer long load times every time you play.

If you compiled a top-ten list of PS3 games that you wanted to play, I'd bet that 7 of them, minimum, would have sizable initial installs.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #154
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
On the PS3, get used to it. The better-looking the game, the more likely it will be to need files installed if you don't want to suffer long load times every time you play.

If you compiled a top-ten list of PS3 games that you wanted to play, I'd bet that 7 of them, minimum, would have sizable initial installs.

Easily.

Game on the PSP is solid so far. Load times a bit long in RTTS mode though. I'll probably be a starting pitching on the PSP and a LF on the PS3.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #155
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Absolutely - the Walmart in my area had many copies. I got mine at Best Buy last year - just walked in and left.

You're right. The Walmart near me had plenty of copies as well.

Off to play! Hopefully the Manage Only mode will be decent as I can see myself logging a lot of time with that mode.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #156
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post
Wait...I am confused. When you said "They are aware of the retirement issue and are working on a solution."- On what basis did you make this statement? I understand you didn't read it somewhere....Was this a personal conversation with someone at SCEA? Can you elaborate at all?

Welcome to the world of console gaming discussions with MBBF.

In other news, with a coupon to get a PS3 for $320 from slickdeals I went ahead and purchased one, it arrived today so I went down to Gamestop and grabbed a copy of the game. Woohoo!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #157
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Minor nitpick and a question.

Nitpick:
Hit a HR with David Wright, and on the replay the scoreboard already had the HR graphic up before it was even hit. Also Citi Field out of town scoreboard doesn't seem to be there.

Question:
Has anyone fast-forwarded? If so, do the pitchers tire? The reason I ask is because it doesn't look like it adds pitches to the pitch count for the innings you FF when you go to the Pitcher Analysis screen. I tried to see if the stamina bar went down, but it was late in the game when I noticed and my starter came out that inning.
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #158
RainMaker
General Manager

More Thoughts:

- The announcing is unbelievable. They seem to have multiple tibbits on every player. They have little comments about all sorts of matchups, including interleague. For instance they mentioned during a Cubs-Yankees game how both had long histories with vastly different results. They mentioned how a catcher for the other team used to catch that pitcher years ago. As a closer in RTTS, they mentioned that I had blown a save earlier in the series. In a 15 inning game the announcer mumbles under his breath that they should just stay in town overnight because it's so late. I'm just amazed by how deep this is. Every possible situation seems to have a comment.

- The game does a great job at picking out the unique elements of each park. Whether it's statues, fan sections, or unique PA announcements about a train station or parking lot.

- Having a lot of trouble with baserunning. Not liking the new controls at all.

- They have an All-Star stadium as an option in exhibition mode so I'm assuming the All-Star game in franchise/season mode has the logos and goodies all over the field.

- RTTS doesn't factor in user stats enough. It feels primarily based on achieving goals and not on how well you perform.

- The check swing is virtually gone. I know some said it was too easy in previous versions, but it's almost impossible to do now.

- Crowds look amazing. They mix in fans from the visiting team and it seems like it's based on the popularity of that team. The Yankees had a lot of fans mixed in while the I only saw one Marlins fan on the road.

- Saw an ad for Ax Men at Yankee Stadium. Wondering how many more dynamic ads they run through the game. I always liked when games did that.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #159
RainMaker
General Manager

One other thing worth noting, the baserunning controls in RTTS is one of the most poorly designed things I've ever seen in a sports game. Something that should be relatively simple is extremely tedious. It's camera relative so if a ball is hit somewhere and you take off, once the camera changes to a new angle you have to switch which way you are pushing on the controller.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #160
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
One other thing worth noting, the baserunning controls in RTTS is one of the most poorly designed things I've ever seen in a sports game. Something that should be relatively simple is extremely tedious. It's camera relative so if a ball is hit somewhere and you take off, once the camera changes to a new angle you have to switch which way you are pushing on the controller.

Seriously? Wasn't baseruning in RTTS something that people already complained about? Now it's even worse? That part kind of sucks.

Am very tempted about this one but don't want to give up on my careers from last years' so I will probably wait it out a bit.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #161
spleen1015
Coordinator

Yeah, so, I'm gonna stay out of this thread. I want to go buy the game, but I know I will only play it for a week before going back to WoW.

Must resist!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #162
Philliesfan980
Banned

I just got done "playing" my first Manage only game. Rays at Phillies (me)

I've owned the last few installments of this game, but never got into it because of time constraints, and let me be the first to say how beautiful this game looks. Stadiums, changes in lighting, ball physics, etc etc. It's really nice.

I ended up winning 11-5. The Phils got 14 hits, while the Rays got 9. Overall it was a close game. The Rays were actually up 4-1 in the top of the 5th when the Phils scored 10 unanswered runs against the self-destructing Rays bullpen. The biggest inning came in the 8th, when assisted by an Evan Longoria error, the Phillies put 5 on the board.

Carlos Pena and Pat Burrell each hit homeruns for the Rays. Werth, Howard, Ibanez, and Feliz went yard for the Phils. Each homerun seemed to be different. A player on the Rays hit a towering shot that looked like it was destined to go out, but instead hit off the top of the fence for a double.

I realize it's only one game, but I can see this being a great Manage only game for me. My only complaint is the length of time it takes to get through a game. It took me about 50 minutes to get through this game, when I was hoping it would only take me about 30. One of the nice things about this game is it's very life like, and with that realism goes the long windups for each pitcher. In manage only mode I'd like to speed things up a little.

Needless to say, barring any huge problems, I can see this quickly becoming my favorite baseball game of all time.

Last edited by Philliesfan980 : 03-03-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #163
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

FYI.......that's not how the controls are used, which probably is the reason you're having issues. Below is a quote from the developer on how to properly use the base running controls........

Quote:
Yes the controls are camera relative

however

the controls will not automatically change as the camera changes.. so if you are pressing right and the camera shifts on you, the control will not update until you release your position so basically.. if you maintain your forward action, it will keep that even as the camera moves

So in other words, if you just keep pushing right, your player will advance even if the angle changes.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #164
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post

I realize it's only one game, but I can see this being a great Manage only game for me. My only complaint is the length of time it takes to get through a game. It took me about 50 minutes to get through this game, when I was hoping it would only take me about 30. One of the nice things about this game is it's very life like, and with that realism goes the long windups for each pitcher. In manage only mode I'd like to speed things up a little.

Do you have fast mode turned on? It skips a lot of the help screens, stat overlays, and tosses back to the pitcher. It cuts down on the time quite a bit.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #165
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Do you have fast mode turned on? It skips a lot of the help screens, stat overlays, and tosses back to the pitcher. It cuts down on the time quite a bit.

Yeah, fast mode was on, and you're right, I didn't get a lot of the extra stuff you mention.

The problem is (and it's not a huge one) that it just takes 2-3 seconds after you hit the "O" button to actually deliver the pitch. The pitching action is very deliberate in all phases. It's realistic, but I do wish it was a bit faster.

Edit - Also there were a lot of deep counts and a realistic amount of strikeouts, walks, and foul balls which of course lead to increased game times.

Last edited by Philliesfan980 : 03-03-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #166
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
FYI.......that's not how the controls are used, which probably is the reason you're having issues. Below is a quote from the developer on how to properly use the base running controls........

So in other words, if you just keep pushing right, your player will advance even if the angle changes.

That's fine if you are sure on where you're going and making a beeline for the base. But if you want to round the base and head back, or change your mind halfway to the bag, you are going to pull back on the joystick. Once you do that, the bases are comletely different and based on the current camera view. Sometimes it switches right before you hit the joystick and sends you back to the bag when you want to be going to the next one. It's just completely unnecessary and a pain in the ass. Baserunning should be really simple and they found a way to make it difficult.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #167
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Seriously? Wasn't baseruning in RTTS something that people already complained about? Now it's even worse? That part kind of sucks.

Am very tempted about this one but don't want to give up on my careers from last years' so I will probably wait it out a bit.

In last years you could use one touch baserunning. with the bumbers, but this year I haven't found a way to do that.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #168
spleen1015
Coordinator

I can't think of any reason why a baserunning scheme of buttons would deviate from down=home, right=1st, up=2nd, and left=3rd. Really, it makes no sense to me to make it any other way, regardless of camera angle.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #169
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I can't think of any reason why a baserunning scheme of buttons would deviate from down=home, right=1st, up=2nd, and left=3rd. Really, it makes no sense to me to make it any other way, regardless of camera angle.

In RTTS, it doesn't even need to be that complicated. Just go and go back.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #170
Calis
College Starter

Was hoping to see some improved load times in RTTS this year, but after playing a while it's obvious that didn't happen. I'm usually pretty patient with loading, but I do get a bit frustrated with it. There's a lot going on, but it's a mode that is all about quickly getting into the action and moving along and you spend 80% of watching loading screens.

It's a good mode for catching up on podcasts and the like though.

I do really like the new batting practice, at least for the very beginning. It's nice to get some feedback on your timing and swing. I'm sure I'll skip it as I get further along.

Haven't played enough to say much else, but it seems pretty solid.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #171
RainMaker
General Manager

Sorry for rambling on with impressions but this blew me away.

Cubs post-game. PA announcer is giving the run down on the score and pitchers of record. He then announcers that fans can board the Red Line at Addison and some other info on the trains. That is the actual stop and actual line running to Wrigley. He also mentioned at some point during the game that fans could sign up for Vineline at Cubs.com. Vineline is their official magazine and has been for decades (it's well known to Cubs fans but probably no one else).

Just two examples of amazing detail. This is my first day playing around too. Can't imagine the hidden gems inside this one.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:38 AM   #172
Z²+
High School JV

It's the little things that make me smile....

"Old Charlie Sawyer has been calling balls and strikes for years. I guess if he says it was a ball, who I am to argue?"

P-I-T-T Let's go Pitt!
Z²+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #173
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I played this game until my eyes bled yesterday. It's met expectations so far but I need to get better at this. I'm probably 1-6 in playing out games in my franchise, without my screwups we'd be running away with the division. I lost a heartbreaker in the sixteenth inning and there was some cool commentary for that specific situation (paraphrasing): "It's past 1am here on the east coast but not too many fans have left yet," "The reliever is going to hit here, sometimes you have no other option when a game goes this many innings."
Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #174
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Played 4 games last night and stayed up until 1:30am (and paying for it now). I lost all four, but I was ahead in two of them. Playing as the Orioles, I got shelled in my first game against the Red Sox, 10-2 (Chris Waters was annihilated). I then lost to the Reds, 5-4 in 11 innings and to the Mets, 2-1 (KRod notched the save and just blew me away in the 9th). Finally, in my last game I lost to the Yankees, 9-5 (gave up 7 runs in the 7th - argh!).

What's cool is I pitched Radhames Liz against the Reds and the Yankees. Against the Reds he lasted about 6 innings, giving up only 4 hits and 2 runs. He wasn't lights-out, but I was able to manage him and he did well (only to see the bullpen blow it for him). Against the Yankees, he was all over the place and only lasted 4+ innings, walking 4. It was really cool to see that I was generally unable to spot my pitches with him and the Yankees lineup just wore him out (he pitched well, just couldn't last long).

I'm seeing doubles, triples, homeruns, walks, etc. It sounds like there are issues with RTTS (you guys mentioned baserunning), but I'm fortunate in that I only like playing out the games. Personally, this is by far the best sports game I've ever played.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 03-04-2009 at 09:00 AM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #175
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI for those interested in customizing the sound and music. The Sound Packs thread over at OS was just updated yesterday with full instructions and a ton of music and sound files to choose from.

Custom Sound PACKS - Operation Sports Forums
Old 03-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #176
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

PastaPadre impressions of online play. In summary, lag is prevelant. I've honestly never played online through the first two iterations on the PS3 and don't plan to do so this year either, but I know that some want to use the online play and this will probably be pretty disappointing for those people.

MLB 09 The Show Online Impressions | pastapadre.com
Old 03-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #177
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
PastaPadre impressions of online play. In summary, lag is prevelant. I've honestly never played online through the first two iterations on the PS3 and don't plan to do so this year either, but I know that some want to use the online play and this will probably be pretty disappointing for those people.

MLB 09 The Show Online Impressions | pastapadre.com

Ironically, your typical "the developers are working on the patch for this and will be out ASAP" line would actually be applicable and substantiated here.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #178
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
Ironically, your typical "the developers are working on the patch for this and will be out ASAP" line would actually be applicable and substantiated here.

While I don't play online, I don't think that people should hold out hope for a miracle patch in regards to online play. They patched online last year and, while it did improve somewhat, most still thought it was average at best. I'm sure they'll give it a boost with the online patch due soon, but honestly, the vast majority of people don't purchase this game for online play.

Feel free to be snarky with the patch statement. I stand behind what I've said in this thread.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-05-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #179
RainMaker
General Manager

I still don't get why online is so difficult. They have games where you can play 16 on 16 lag free. Why are companies having issues with 1-on-1? This should have been stamped out 5 years ago.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #180
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I really don't like PS3 online. I hardly ever use it for online. That is one place Xbox has a huge advantage.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #181
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I was messing around with franchise mode before rosters are completed and this was awesome:

I am Detroit and I had traded Carlos Guillen to Tampa Bay for some bullpen help. Couple weeks later we're playing Tampa and the announcers were discussing how Guillen was just traded. Then I beaned him and they started wondering if Guillen had pissed some people off on my team and that was why he was dealt.

So bad ass.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #182
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I was messing around with franchise mode before rosters are completed and this was awesome:

I am Detroit and I had traded Carlos Guillen to Tampa Bay for some bullpen help. Couple weeks later we're playing Tampa and the announcers were discussing how Guillen was just traded. Then I beaned him and they started wondering if Guillen had pissed some people off on my team and that was why he was dealt.

So bad ass.

Hahahaha! I don't have money for another game but you guys are making it hard to resist!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #183
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

So bad ass.

When Giambi played a game in New York, the crowd gave him an ovation when he came to the plate and he tipped his cap. The announcers also mentioned welcoming him back.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #184
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Manny (who I signed from the FA pool along with Abreu and Sheets) was loudly booed when my Braves were up in Boston.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #185
spleen1015
Coordinator

I just encountered 2 different situations that I think are bugs.

Whenever there is a groundball hit and there is a throw to first, the 1B stops running as soon as the fielder starts to throw the ball. That isn't realistic IMO. I've played 1B in RL. I have been moving to the bag while the throw is on the way before.

Anyway, I was playing RTTS as a 1B. A really fast groundball was hit to 2B. I didn't have enough time to get to the bag before the 2B started to throw. So, because of the mechanic above, I stopped on my way to the bag. As the throw was coming towards me, my guy made the motion like he was catching the ball and as he was doing that, he was sliding to the bag, more like floating to the bag.

The second issue I saw was at the end of the same game. I came up with the baseloaded, 2 outs, down by 2 in the bottom of the 9th. I struck out swinging and the catcher didn't catch the ball.. It bounced out in front of the plate. So, I'm out and the game ends. On the recap screen, I don't see any stats for my AB in the 9th. I only get credit for 4 AB instead of 5 and I don't get credited with striking out.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 03-05-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #186
duff88
College Prospect

Just got the game. It's a lot of fun, but I sure suck quite a bit more than I expected after playing the demo.

I made a second baseman, anyone can tell me how to make the tag when recieving the ball from the catcher on a stolen base? All my guy do is keep up straight and catch the ball without trying to make the out.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #187
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88 View Post
I made a second baseman, anyone can tell me how to make the tag when recieving the ball from the catcher on a stolen base? All my guy do is keep up straight and catch the ball without trying to make the out.

That's weird. I'm playing 2B in RTTS as well and I've never had this problem. My guy always applies the tag automatically... I guess just make sure you are in position when you catch the ball. I'm usually right in front of the bag...
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #188
spleen1015
Coordinator

One problem I am having is getting picked off first base. They have tried to pick me off 4 times and got me every time.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:03 AM   #189
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
One problem I am having is getting picked off first base. They have tried to pick me off 4 times and got me every time.

So, you gave into temptation and bought the game?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #190
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
So, you gave into temptation and bought the game?

Yeah... I am having fun with RTTS right now.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:39 AM   #191
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88 View Post
Just got the game. It's a lot of fun, but I sure suck quite a bit more than I expected after playing the demo.

I've had trouble with this as well, but using the right stick to swipe seems to work. But I haven't tagged a base stealer out yet either. Maybe the battery sucks at preventing steals.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #192
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Bill Abner has his full review up. It's pretty rare that he gives a game this good of a review. Most believe he's too critical in his reviews.

GameShark | Reviews | MLB 09: The Show Review

I bought the game last night, but it's still in the Best Buy bag. My wife decided we'd have 'quality time' last night. In other words, no gaming.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-06-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #193
Logan
Head Coach

So at what point in a relationship does "quality time" warrant a sad face? Cause I need to know in order to be prepared.

/end tangent

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #194
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I thought it was cool for Ian Cummings of EA to post over in The Show thread over at OS that he loves the game and wants his Madden programmers to take notes of what a great sports game should be.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #195
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
So at what point in a relationship does "quality time" warrant a sad face? Cause I need to know in order to be prepared.

/end tangent

Well.......

First half of 'quality time' = Chick flick at the movie theater =

Second half of 'quality time' after movie when we got home =
Old 03-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #196
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

You know your video game is a virtual version of crack when.........

Talked with a friend who played the game last night for the first time. He started a RTTS career around 8:00 PM and planned to go to bed around 10:30 PM. He ended up playing 'one more game' until 1:00 AM.

I can't wait to get home tonight and fire this baby up.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #197
Logan
Head Coach

Any sliders yet?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #198
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Any sliders yet?

There are some on the OS boards.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #199
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
You know your video game is a virtual version of crack when.........

Talked with a friend who played the game last night for the first time. He started a RTTS career around 8:00 PM and planned to go to bed around 10:30 PM. He ended up playing 'one more game' until 1:00 AM.

I can't wait to get home tonight and fire this baby up.

That is gonna make me run out and get it tonight... Thanks Mizzou
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #200
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
That is gonna make me run out and get it tonight... Thanks Mizzou

May you 'suffer' until 1:00 AM playing 'one more game'.