Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #151
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Knock on wood.. I haven't had any real issues with my Fire. Sometimes a touch doesn't register, but it's never during a game only when clicking on an app or sometimes while I'm trying to click an internet link.

I would assume an os update is in the works to fix any release day issues?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #152
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

That's what I'm kind of hoping for, in the case of my Touch as well.

After writing my nasty review on here, I picked up my Kindle to give it another look, and now it won't open anything at all...I just get a blank page, with a menu bar at the top. I assume mine is just screwed up, so my issues may all just be due to the fact that I got a bad individual machine...which doesn't make ME feel any better about the little piece of crap, but your mileage may vary, and take that into account when weighing the issues I had.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #153
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Interestingly enough in many online reviews, the $79 Kindle got the higher reviews. Though those were mostly based on the fact that it was lighter than the $99 Kindle Touch.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #154
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Interestingly enough in many online reviews, the $79 Kindle got the higher reviews. Though those were mostly based on the fact that it was lighter than the $99 Kindle Touch.

Yeah...I was going to note that the Touch was rated 4 1/2 stars on Amazon, when it only had a few hundred reviews, a week after it came out, but was down to 3 1/2 stars recently, but has since bounced back to 4. Most of the complaints seem to be about the wonkiness of the touch stuff, and if I had another shot I'd grab the keyboard one, because the search/UI stuff seemed like it did benefit a lot from a keyboard...but I also think that the keyboard might only be available with the older screen tech (?). It's also still rated 4 1/2 stars, with 35,000 reviews.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #155
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Kindle Keyboard has the same screen tech - the Pearl e-ink.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #156
George
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Knock on wood.. I haven't had any real issues with my Fire. Sometimes a touch doesn't register, but it's never during a game only when clicking on an app or sometimes while I'm trying to click an internet link.

I believe an update has been released.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gad...ce-update/5362

Last edited by George : 12-23-2011 at 01:18 PM.
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #157
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I believe an update has been released.

Kindle Fire gets a performance update | ZDNet

Thanks, I already notice better touch sensitivity.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #158
RainMaker
General Manager

So I played around with the Kindle Fire I bought for my brother at Christmas. I really like the device. Was worried it would be too small but it actually is almost a perfect size. And I didn't mind the weight either, it made it feel sturdy.

Not sure I would recommend this to readers, but I do think it's a nice iPad alternative for those who don't need the extras (camera, GPS, etc). Browser isn't as fast and the touchscreen isn't as intuitive, but it's not that far off.

My only gripe would be the lack of apps right now. Didn't feel like a lot of the major companies had them yet. If that changes though, I think it's a steal at $200 for anyone who wants a tablet but doesn't think they'll use it a ton.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #159
thesloppy
Pro Starter

After complaining about my Touch a bunch in this thread, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I managed to clear up the big issues I was having, after some research. Apparently adding big batches of content to the Touch blows its little mind, and you have to add stuff in small batches (~10 at a time, and no more than 25 a day) to allow it to index properly. I had to delete everything, reset to factory defaults, and re-add all my content in tiny batches, but it works much better now, and I'm 99% less likely to smash it against a wall.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:23 AM   #160
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Just cuz.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #161
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
Why download all contents to the device? Just pick one from the archive and when done reading that book delete back to archive and pick another one from the archive to download.

It it's wifi only, and you don't have wifi at your house, you may have to get it while around a hotspot.............

Just a guess.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #162
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The new Kindle Fire 8.9 was announced.

Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G - Latest Wireless Technology with 4G LTE

It's an 8.9" tablet with 4G(and one without) for 499.

Quote:
Groundbreaking 4G LTE Package
Kindle Fire HD 8.9" offers the most affordable 4G tablet data package. Amazon's 12 month 4G data package includes 250 MB a month of blazing fast 4G data, 20 GB of additional Cloud Drive storage, and $10 Amazon Appstore promotional credit, all for a one-time payment of only $49.99, no monthly payments required. If you need more data, additional 3 GB and 5 GB data plans are also available for purchase. You can sign up for a data plan right from your device.

The internet package on that is freaking amazing, if you don't need a ton of data.

Also the Kindle Fire HD 7" is coming out for $199. The existing unit drops to $159.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Last edited by stevew : 09-06-2012 at 03:49 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #163
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Paperwhite be far more impressive. Every tech site is practically drooling over it. Incredible e-ink resolution, a light that barely gets in the way, and 8 weeks of battery life WITH the light on... wow!

Kindle Paperwhite - Touch Screen Ereader with Built-In Light
Old 09-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #164
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

7" is still more interesting. I'm not sure I'm sold on a Kindle at the $500 price mark. Even the 7" may take a backseat to the Nexus.

All that said, I still have no interest in owning a tablet of any form .

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #165
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The Paperwhite be far more impressive. Every tech site is practically drooling over it. Incredible e-ink resolution, a light that barely gets in the way, and 8 weeks of battery life WITH the light on... wow!

This is more interesting to me. Potential replacement for me or my Mom.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #166
Logan
Head Coach

That's pretty cool. I've been meaning to get a light for my older model Kindle, since I prefer to do my reading before bed and I don't want to annoy my fiancee with a bedside light. All those clip on types seemed to be clumsy and annoying. Might be time to upgrade.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #167
cschex
High School Varsity

Perfect timing for me, since I recently cracked the screen on my Kindle Keyboard (totally my fault). I've been holding off since I knew Amazon would release a new version for the holiday season and figured it would have a built in light since the new Nook does....and always, Amazon undercuts the Nook price by $20. It's like clockwork at this point

Last edited by cschex : 09-06-2012 at 07:17 PM.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #168
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
This is more interesting to me. Potential replacement for me or my Mom.

You've must not think very highly of yourself or your mom.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-06-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #169
Groundhog
Coordinator

Wow, Paperwhite looks excellent. I have no need to upgrade from my Kindle Keyboard at the moment, but happy to see Kindle tech pushing forward.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #170
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, I just bought (well, about 2 months ago) the low-end Kindle so I would have it for my traveling this summer (French Guiana, London/UK, Seattle...). Their new offerings make my Kindle Fire (original) and the Kindle I just bought look downright wimpy. I might splurge on the Paperwhite version. Will wait for some reviews.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #171
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm yet to take a plunge in the tablet market but I believe the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD with 4G is going to draw me in. I love my Kindle and will still likely use it for all reading but the Kindle Fire will just be great to have and my son can likely get some use out of it on long car rides.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #172
RainMaker
General Manager

Is there any reason to take the Kindle Fire over the Nexus tablet? The Nexus runs a newer version of Android, doesn't have the Amazon skin with ads, and seems to have better specs in a lot of areas. Only thing I see that the Kindle Fire seems to have is an HDMI out which I guess is a big plus if you're going to stream to your TV.

Here are the specs I found:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409362,00.asp

I'm planning on grabbing one for my brother as a birthday gift. Just sort of confused which to go with. The one thing about the old Kindle Fire that irked me was their stupid skin. Just hated the UI of it.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-08-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #173
Easy Mac

It's $100 cheaper.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #174
RainMaker
General Manager

Aren't they both $199?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #175
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have a Kindle fire, and while it is great for reading I would never want to use it as a tablet, way to clunky.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #176
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I like my Kindle fire quite a bit, but if I had to choose between the two, I would buy the Nexus 7.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #177
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
7" is still more interesting. I'm not sure I'm sold on a Kindle at the $500 price mark. Even the 7" may take a backseat to the Nexus.

All that said, I still have no interest in owning a tablet of any form .

Does the Nexus come with 4g without a monthly subscription? - thats one of the BIG draws for me and why I'm considering getting one of the new Kindles myself ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #178
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Don't think so, from what I can tell you'd only get the Fire for that data plan. But for me personally the data cap makes it a non-starter, interesting nonetheless.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #179
PraetorianX
High School JV

If I didn't have my iPad, I think I'd go with one of the 4g Fire's.

The data cap probably wouldn't be much of an issue unless you're wanting to watch movies or shows away from a wifi connection.

I would likely only use the 4g for web browsing and such when away from a wifi connection anyway, so it's not such a big deal.

I guess it just depends on how you would want to use it.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #180
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

so based on the stuff that they have on the product website, the battery is 28 hours with the light on, and according to them, the 3G doesnt need a subscription of anykind, it is just part of the device and is automatically paid for by amazon
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #181
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
so based on the stuff that they have on the product website, the battery is 28 hours with the light on, and according to them, the 3G doesnt need a subscription of anykind, it is just part of the device and is automatically paid for by amazon

I'm ordering the paper white. But I'm getting wif. The reason is, for me, I get a lot of library books on mine. With 3G you have to physically load them on, with wifi, they will come through the wifi. Practically everywhere I go, has wifi now, so no need for 3G for me.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #182
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

3G has never needed any subscription on the eReader Kindles. Thinking is the type of data the Kindlke uses is almost zero. You are not doing color web browsing, email or music/videos.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #183
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:

3G Kindle doesn't require any data plan or anything, no. You can use it to download books anywhere you can get a signal. Can't do much else with the device though.

As for the battery, yes, 28 continuous hours with the light on. Depending on how much you use it you'll probably only need to charge it once a week at the most (and of course you can adjust the light for when you don't need it).

My 3rd gen Kindle 3G I only need to charge maybe once a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I'm ordering the paper white. But I'm getting wif. The reason is, for me, I get a lot of library books on mine. With 3G you have to physically load them on, with wifi, they will come through the wifi. Practically everywhere I go, has wifi now, so no need for 3G for me.

Or you could, say, I don't know, use the Kindle 3G's wifi? I've never had a problem downloading library books using it.

Last edited by PraetorianX : 09-10-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #184
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

3G does cost $60 more, which is 50% the cost of the unit itself. My Kindle isn't 3G, I don't really need it.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #185
saldana
Pro Starter

thanks for the suggestions about the 3G...i have never bought one of these before and am really thinking about this...does anyone know if you can just go to best buy and get one or do you have to order it from Amazon...they are saying they arent shipping them until the week of 10/8 (even though the release date is 10/1), and i would really like to have it for my week long trip to Europe (on the 8th)
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #186
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianX View Post
3G Kindle doesn't require any data plan or anything, no. You can use it to download books anywhere you can get a signal. Can't do much else with the device though.

As for the battery, yes, 28 continuous hours with the light on. Depending on how much you use it you'll probably only need to charge it once a week at the most (and of course you can adjust the light for when you don't need it).

My 3rd gen Kindle 3G I only need to charge maybe once a month.

Or you could, say, I don't know, use the Kindle 3G's wifi? I've never had a problem downloading library books using it.

So, the Paper White 3G comes with wifi as well? My K2 has 3G, but no wifi. And it, you know, won't let me use the 3G to get the library books. You have to use the wifi for that.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 09-10-2012 at 10:05 AM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #187
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ever since the K3 they added wi-fi, IIRC. Wi-fi is on every device, but some have 3G as well.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #188
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
thanks for the suggestions about the 3G...i have never bought one of these before and am really thinking about this...does anyone know if you can just go to best buy and get one or do you have to order it from Amazon...they are saying they arent shipping them until the week of 10/8 (even though the release date is 10/1), and i would really like to have it for my week long trip to Europe (on the 8th)

I don't know if they'll have them in stores or not. I pre-ordered my Paperwhite and my estimated delivery date is Oct. 11th.

As for if you want 3G or just regular wifi, it depends on how and when you use it really. There is no other difference between the two of them that I know of, except I think 3G is like maybe half an ounce heavier.

So the question really is if you think you'll actually get $60 worth of use out of the 3G. You can't really do any web browsing on the Kindle, so it'd likely only be for downloading books/mags. If you travel a lot or are often in (and likely to use your Kindle in) places that don't have free wireless and/or you don't have a wireless network in your home then 3G might a good option.

Otherwise, if you'll likely always have a nearby wifi hotspot, then save the $60 for books.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #189
Landshark44
High School Varsity

dumb question about the Kindle....

I purchased one for my wife for christmas, and put a book on it for her. (New Alex Cross)....

The book downloaded right away and is available to be "read", but i was never asked for any credit card info....

How did I pay for it?
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #190
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

From the account you used to buy the Kindle. It's linked to that account including the credit card you have on file with it.

You can change who it is registered to online, if you'd like.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #191
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Is your credit card info stored on Amazon.com?

Old 12-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #192
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Is your credit card info stored on Amazon.com?

yes, i think it is....

but i didn't see anything under "order history". maybe it just didn't post, yet...
Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #193
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
From the account you used to buy the Kindle. It's linked to that account including the credit card you have on file with it.

You can change who it is registered to online, if you'd like.

So, credit card i used to buy the Kindle is charged every time i make a purchase...?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #194
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Credit card that is on file for the account the Kindle is registered to. Which it either automatically ties in with yours or maybe gives you the option to specify your wife during the ordering process, I forget.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #195
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
So, credit card i used to buy the Kindle is charged every time i make a purchase...?

It's been awhile, but I think that is the case. When they ship it to you they pre-register it for that account. I THINK when you order it you could have it gifted or something for somebody else, but I'm not sure.

It shouldn't be too hard to change that, though. If not on the kindle it is probably somewhere in the Amazon.com account settings
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #196
Landshark44
High School Varsity

yeah, weird. i purchased it today at best buy...

when i set it up, i didn't register it (wasn't asked to). and when i go to amazon, there is no record of the kindle or the purchase (book)...

curious to see how I'm billed. i'm sure it'll all clear up, i was just wondering. thanks, guys...

Last edited by Landshark44 : 12-20-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #197
tarcone
Coordinator

Good info. We bought our daughters a fire from amazon. I could see them buying a bunch of stuff thinking they got it free. And our credit card bill crazy.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #198
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Ah, not sure how the Best Buy process works.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #199
gstelmack
Pro Starter

On Amazon, you set up "1-click" settings for purchasing, and Kindle buying uses those.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #200
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Good info. We bought our daughters a fire from amazon. I could see them buying a bunch of stuff thinking they got it free. And our credit card bill crazy.

You can set up parental controls to prevent this.