Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #151
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
If you're the GM of the Jaguars, how do you fix the downfalls of the team for the last 2 seasons?

The Jaguars have problems on both sides of the ball.
If the Jaguars draft a QB, the O-line should be upgraded through FA/draft.

MJD is a FA after the season, 'course they could shop him before the deadline, at best a 5th or 6th rounder.

Drafting a replacement RB has to be high up on the need list, possibly in the 3rd or middle rounds.

Defensively, the secondary is relatively young, but could use veteran leadership,
(should've kept Marcus Trufant for that).

Looking at the LB's, Paul Posluszny is the only worthwhile LB keeping.

D-Line is a total mess, can't generate any kind of pass rush, to help the secondary. Stopping the run has its moments.

I don't know who the coordinators are for the team, but they are obviously not doing their job.

If the Jaguars want to be relavant again, the GM needs to convince the owner to open up the checkbook, and spend wisely.

Just my take from a fan of another team far away.

Where you start is simple. If there is a QB on the board you feel will be an NFL starter for 10+ years, you take him. Period. You don't take a guy you think is the best available QB left or a guy with the raw tools who looks to be a developmental guy. (as in Gabbard, Blaine) If you see a guy who has the tools, makeup and your scouts feel is going to succeed, you take him.

If not, you trade down and start loading the team with building blocks for the guy who will be your future QB. I wouldn't worry about spending a cent until I got the QB who I could count on for 5 years. (Peyton Manning is nice for the Donkies, but he doesn't exactly hit FA very often)

To me, in this league, if you don't have a capable QB, you are in a death spiral. Even competent QB play will win you games. You have one of the ten worst QB's in the league? Forget it. There are a metric ton of QB prospects coming out in the next two years. Scout the hell out of them now and figure out which one you want. Then be prepared to trade up if you have to.

Teams who will be looking for a QB this offseason:

Philadelphia
Minnesota (depending on Freeman down the stretch)
Tampa Bay
Arizona
St. Louis
Cleveland
Houston
Jacksonville

That's 8 teams and I could easily add another 5 to 7 who have QB's I don't think are going to make it as passers in this league. (Tennessee, Oakland, Jets to name a few)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #152
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
What's wrong with the one they have?

In fairness, it sucks and has always sucked.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #153
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The Jags actually surprise me with their lack of ability. On paper, it would seem that they have quite a few great tools:

-MJD, though recovering from a serious injury, has long been one of the standout backs in the league.
-Blackmon, though suspended the first few games of the season, is incredibly talented.
-Shorts has been a very good WR though he does suffer from the dropsies occasionally.
-The defense as a whole has been pretty terrible...but my buddy who watches every game says that they aren't as bad as they look because the offense leaves them on the field for so much of games they get tired and run up on.

Clearly they need a better QB and some O-Line help, but Joeckel has had flashes that make you think he could end up being a very good lineman some day, and with Blackmon and Shorts together out there the offense almost has to improve by default. MJD is getting old and he's going to be expensive, so you probably have to look elsewhere, but RB has gone down so much in importance that you can try to plug that hole later in the draft and save the higher picks for the more important positions. Like the article about the prediction machine mentioned - the real key is going to be the Jags starting to draft useful players in the late rounds, instead of the nothing that they keep getting.

I can easily see them improve in a huge way (like, from 1-15/2-14 level to 6-10/7-9 level) with one good draft. Get a solid O Lineman, a pass rusher and a defensive back to pair with Cyprien...who knows.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #154
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone who thinks Alabama, or any college team, could ever hang with any NFL team knows nothing about football or sports.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #155
Thomkal
Head Coach

Had to go look at two different boxscores to make sure I was seeing this correctly:

With about five minutes left in the third, the Seahawks have thrown for 43 yards, the Rams for 45. At least the Rams are running the ball with over 100 yards total so far, but the Seahawks have 35 rushing yards.

The World Series lack of offense disease must be catching or something.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #156
kingfc22
Head Coach

Golden Tate is a little bitch.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #157
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

jesus, I would be OK if Tate and Rodgers Cromartie (i think that is who is was from Denver) concussed each other. Such a bitch move.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #158
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
jesus, I would be OK if Tate and Rodgers Cromartie (i think that is who is was from Denver) concussed each other. Such a bitch move.

The only thing more of a bitch move is Carrol having the nerve to walk over and go "we don't do that here" Ummm, yeah, you do. Your team is one of the most classless teams in the NFL. I love Russell Wilson and Lynch and pretty much can't stand any other player on your roster.

At least with Denver, it's a one off. I'm not saying that because I'm a fan of the team, you just don't see Denver pull that garbage. Miller is the closest thing to classless as we have now and beyond the drug testing crap, his biggest problem on the field is a sack dance.

I think the Rams are really onto something here though. Tight, tight formations. It forces the physical corners off and gives them better releases. Seattle seems to have no answer for it and this is against Kellen Clemons. Against a real QB, they would be in trouble.

It's amazing watching them on the replays though. EVERY DB just mugging the hell out of WR and never a call. It amazes me.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #159
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The lack of energy from this crowd in a one score game on Monday night is pitiful.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #160
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Pretty sad that the best Monday night game of the year is probably Jets - Falcons unless you count the Eagles week one game.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #161
cuervo72
Head Coach

Run that in, Clemens.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #162
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Run that in, Clemens.

Yeah. On second down why isn't he trying for the td or a least setting up a 1 yard attempt.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #163
kingfc22
Head Coach

Come on Rams!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #164
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
It's amazing watching them on the replays though. EVERY DB just mugging the hell out of WR and never a call. It amazes me.
It's the same in all sports - if you foul every play, the refs don't want to throw flags every time, so they subconsciously let you get away with more. Every single college basketball team and almost every defensive secondary should be doing this.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #165
cuervo72
Head Coach

I like that ski cap of Sherman's.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #166
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

Teams who will be looking for a QB this offseason:

Philadelphia
Minnesota (depending on Freeman down the stretch)
Tampa Bay
Arizona
St. Louis
Cleveland
Houston
Jacksonville

That's 8 teams and I could easily add another 5 to 7 who have QB's I don't think are going to make it as passers in this league. (Tennessee, Oakland, Jets to name a few)

As a Titans fan, I'm completely happy with Locker. He won't ever have the pinpoint accuracy, but he gives you everything else.

And if I'm Jacksonville, I'm worried that my team is still so bad that even a very good QB prospect would flounder. I'm thinking about true empty cupboard teams that drafted a QB (1-15 Colts with Jeff George, Expansion Browns and Texans with Couch and Carr). If there was a Luck-level prospect on the board, then you have to take him, but anything below that level, you want to build the roster while still having that gaping hole at QB that will keep you in high draft position. With rookie salaries now reasonable, "tanking" is a viable solution, especially when you have by far the worst roster in the league.

I always think teams starting at the very bottom should start from the lines up, and the Jags started that this year by drafting Joeckel. I'm not 100% sold on Bridgewater or any other college QB save for Jameis Winston. If I was the Jags, I would draft Clowney #1 and try to get a roster that has some level of NFL talent before I bring in my QB. They should still be bad enough to expect a top 5 pick next year, and then you get your guy.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #167
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbo Klice View Post
I always think teams starting at the very bottom should start from the lines up, and the Jags started that this year by drafting Joeckel. I'm not 100% sold on Bridgewater or any other college QB save for Jameis Winston. If I was the Jags, I would draft Clowney #1 and try to get a roster that has some level of NFL talent before I bring in my QB. They should still be bad enough to expect a top 5 pick next year, and then you get your guy.
I would trade out of the top spot if i was Jacksonville. I think the strength of the next 2 QB drafts is their depth*, not 1-2 specific players (although part of that will depend on how may of Manziel/Mariota/Hundley declare), and there's a good chance you can get a potential #1 pick sliding all the way down to the 20's or you can just pick a solid QB in the 2nd/3rd if you're insistent on trying to fill the position long-term this season and not just willing to sign a solid veteran for a year or two. As funny as it would be to see Matthews and Joeckel reunited I don't know if they'd want to spend another top pick on someone who will end up being a RT, and defensively I like Barr and Nix better than Clowney.

* - I think this will be true most years going forward. Between the proliferation of youth 7v7 passing leagues, the increasing complexity of HS offenses, and the NFL's willingness to embrace more athletic QB's who don't have prototypical arm strength we're entering a Golden Age for QB's.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #168
MrBug708
Head Coach

Not a chance Hundley declares right now. He just had 64 yards passing in his last game and is struggling. But Jacksonville has too many holes to really risk it on a QB this draft. If they can trade down, excellent. They need to built up other areas of their team first.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #169
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Not a chance Hundley declares right now. He just had 64 yards passing in his last game and is struggling. But Jacksonville has too many holes to really risk it on a QB this draft. If they can trade down, excellent. They need to built up other areas of their team first.
I hadn't seen how badly he struggled against Oregon. I do agree he shouldn't and probably won't right now, but I've seen QB's get helium off fewer games than Hundley has left. Blaine Gabbert's the most obvious example, but RG3 and Cam Newton both went from potential 1st-round pick to top 3 lock in like 6 weeks. Even Teddy Bridgewater is really so highly regarded and has people completely ignoring his schedule strength based off one game (the Sugar Bowl) last year - if he struggles a lot in his bowl game this year I don't even think it's off the table he comes back for another year.

Hundley/Mariota, and less likely one of Manziel/Bridgewater going back to school would be perfect for Jacksonville - pick a non-QB this draft to bolster the O-line or D that isn't really all that bad, and have multiple potential franchise QB's looming in 2015 with those guys, Jameis, likely Kevin Hogan, maybe a guy like Braxton Miller, Sean Mannion, even a Devin Gardner if any of them makes a leap, Bryce Petty if you think he's more than a system QB.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #170
bhlloy
Coordinator

Hey, I don't really understand the Mariota love either right now and think he absolutely needs to stay in school to work on his passing. Video game numbers but how much of that is playing in the perfect offense and short passes being taken to the house by incredibly talented receivers. If he comes out this year, he'd better sit for at least a season.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #171
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Draft a QB like Garoppolo later on who is better than anyone they're listing as top QBs.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #172
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Had to chuckle at these comments from Tony G. He did the exact same thing in KC when he wanted to be traded. Up front, he's the team guy who says all the right things to make it seem like he really doesn't want to leave. Behind closed doors, he's checking flight times while sitting next to the phone waiting to hear from his agent. I don't know where he's going, but these comments make me think he's on the move assuming the Falcons feel the deal is good enough.

Tony Gonzalez of Atlanta Falcons understands rumors, but not asking for trade - ESPN
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #173
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Meanwhile Sean McGrath keeps googling his name to see if anyone cares.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #174
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
Meanwhile Sean McGrath keeps googling his name to see if anyone cares.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #175
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Rumors on the radio today that Seattle and San Francisco are in a "bidding war" for Jared Allen.

I find it hard to believe based on the Niners cap situation, but it's hard not to get excited about adding Jared Allen to their pass rush.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 10-29-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #176
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Deadline just passed and Glazer says Allen isn't going anywhere.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #177
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

So... he plays for the Red Sox?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #178
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Did Terrelle Pryor break QBR? Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Oakland Raiders - Box Score - October 27, 2013 - ESPN

10/19 88 4.6 0 2 2-6 96.2 25.7

I don't care if he ran for 5 90+ yard TD's, that should be the death of QBR.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #179
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

How the hell do you throw two picks and have a QBR of 96. Isn't 100 perfect? I can understand having a decent QBR thanks to his big TD run, but did he do anything else the rest of the game?

Peyton Manning (week 4): 28/34, 327 yards, 4td, 0int, 95.9 QBR
Terrell Pryor (week 8): 10/19, 88 yards, 0td, 2int, 106 rushing, 1td rushing, 96.2 QBR
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #180
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Perfect is 156.3 or something.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #181
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Dude, the guy had 106 yards rushing. To not account for that would be ridiculous & the reason why the old QB Rating was ignored by a lot of folks.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #182
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Brees completed 76% of his passes and threw for 5 touchdowns this week and had a QBR of 70

Last edited by fantom1979 : 10-29-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #183
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Perfect is 156.3 or something.

QBR, not quarterback rating. They are different.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #184
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Dude, the guy had 106 yards rushing. To not account for that would be ridiculous & the reason why the old QB Rating was ignored by a lot of folks.

93 yards of it were on the first play of the game. He went 10/19 for 88 yards with two picks throwing and 8 for 13 rushing the rest of the game. If it wasn't for that one play, his QBR should have been around zero. I understand he should get points for that, but ESPN's rating of 96 says that he had an almost perfect day.

Last edited by fantom1979 : 10-29-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #185
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
93 yards of it were on the first play of the game. He went 10/19 for 88 yards with two picks throwing and 8 for 13 rushing the rest of the game. If it wasn't for that one play, his QBR should have been around zero. I understand he should get points for that, but ESPN's rating of 96 says that he had an almost perfect day.
This. Short of having a 90 point bonus for a 90+ yard TD run I can't figure out any way for that rating to come out correctly. Even if all his completions were 1 yard passes on 4th and 1 in the last 2 minutes of a close game.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #186
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Meanwhile, Russell Wilson had an absolutely awful game last night, and his Passer Rating was 117.

Hate on Passer Rating. Hate on QBR.

"Keep fuckin' that chicken."
Old 10-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #187
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Total QBR is a joke.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #188
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

My ratings system. PassYPA - INT% + RushYPA - Sack% + TD%.
For QB's with less than 3 rush attempts per game, their average is zeroed out. This system measures composite performance of QB+pass protection.

I'm going with QB's with a minimum of 100 attempts.

Here's how it shakes out by my system:

Manning: 8.8-1.8+0.0-3.2+8.7 = 12.5
Locker: 6.9-0.7+7.1-7.3+5.3 = 11.3
Rodgers: 8.8-1.6+3.8-6.4+6.0 = 10.6
Luck: 7.0-1.3+6.5-6.3+4.5 = 10.4
Vick: 8.6-2.1+9.1-9.6+3.5 = 09.5
Kaepernick: 8.0-2.5+6.0-7.0+4.5 = 09.0
Dalton: 8.1-2.5+2.8-5.4+5.7 = 08.7
Rivers: 8.6-2.0+0.0-4.2+6.0 = 08.4
Griffin: 7.0-3.0+5.6-5.0+3.4 = 08.0
Stafford: 7.7-1.8+0.0-2.9+4.7 = 07.7
Brees: 8.5-1.8+0.0-6.2+7.0 = 07.5
Romo: 7.5-1.7+0.0-5.1+6.1 = 06.8
Newton: 7.7-2.5+4.6-9.4+5.9 = 06.3
Wilson: 7.9-2.0+5.6-11.6+6.3= 06.2
A.Smith: 6.3-1.4+5.3-7.7+3.1 = 05.6
Ryan: 7.3-2.3+0.0-4.1+4.6 = 05.5
Cutler: 7.4-3.1+0.0-4.3+5.3 = 05.3
Bradford: 6.4-1.5+0.0-5.4+5.3 = 04.8
Manuel: 6.6-2.0+3.6-8.0+3.3 = 03.5
Hoyer*: 6.4-3.1+0.0-5.9+5.2 = 02.6
Glennon: 5.5-1.7+0.0-5.2+3.3 = 01.9
Pryor: 7.3-4.5+7.4-12.3+3.2= 01.1
Tannehill: 6.8-3.4+3.9-10.9+4.2= 00.6
G.Smith: 7.4-5.1+5.1-10.0+3.2= 00.6
Ponder: 6.9-4.1+5.7-9.7+1.7 = 00.5
Schaub: 6.7-3.9+0.0-6.0+3.4 = 00.2
Flacco: 7.1-3.0+0.0-6.9+3.0 = 00.2
Brady: 5.9-2.0+0.0-7.0+2.9 = -00.2
E.Manning: 7.1-4.9+0.0-5.8+3.3 = -00.3
Henne: 6.7-2.3+0.0-6.8+1.4 = -01.0
Roethlisbe: 7.4-2.7+0.0-9.1+3.1 = -01.3
Freeman: 5.2-3.2+0.0-5.2+1.4 = -01.8
Palmer: 6.7-4.9+0.0-7.5+3.5 = -02.2
Weeden: 5.9-3.1+0.0-9.7+2.6 = -04.3
Gabbert**: 5.6-8.1+3.6-12.2+1.2= -09.9

*= only 96 attempts
**=only 86 attempts

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 10-30-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:08 AM   #189
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Jake Locker as the #2 QB in the NFL is not passing the smell test for me.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:07 AM   #190
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Jake Locker as the #2 QB in the NFL is not passing the smell test for me.

He has been that teams entire offense, essentially. He doesn't turn it over, he runs better than most QB's, and if he had a run game of any kind and maybe some good receivers to throw to, he might get to show just how good he is. I do believe that this system is better with more data, however. It'll look better when the minimum is 300 attempts. You can also look at a guys history using the same numbers and see the clear anomalies, like Brady being below zero. You can safely assume some extenuating circumstances have contributed to his drop.. But he really has been bad this year.

I think Locker is a hell of a QB based on what he is working with.

Other than a guy out of place here and there with the help of low sample size, I think this system tends to place QB's about where they should be. It has a good rate of correlation to a teams success as well. I think maybe I need to give the pocket passers a minimum of 3.0 for their rushing stat because I think otherwise this system favors scramblers too much. That will also punish scramblers like Dalton, who is actually averaging only 2.8 per rush this year.

Edit: a couple case studies.

Kordell Stewart in 1997 put up an 8.9 and the Steelers went 11-5.
1998 was a 2.4, which is pretty bad for a running QB. Steelers finished 7-9.
he struggled to keep the job for a couple years, then in 2001 returned to near 97 form, putting up a 7.1. Steelers went 13-3.
His career ended up a semi respectable 4.4 with a career 48-34 record. Not bad.

Trent Dilfer was a career -1.7 (1.3 with the added 3.0).
The year he went 7-1 as a starter and the Ravens won the title, he was a -2.2 (0.8). The extreme outlier best defense in league history looks even better when you consider that.

Brees is a career 6.4 (9.4), but it took him putting up a 9.5 (12.5) to get that porous defense to a title. 9.5 is insane for a pocket passer.
Brady in 07 put up a 12.1 (15.1), which is what Manning 12.5 (15.5) is doing this year.

Joe Montana is a career 4.5 (7.5 using this system with the 3 yard minimum), and Manning is a 10.7, so obviously this will need to be weighted for era as well.

As I calculate more players I am tweaking the formula, but I think the numbers used in this equation are better indicators of a players performance as far as his value to the team on a per play basis goes.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 10-30-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #191
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I guess completion % is partially covered as part of the PassYPYA stat? Since if you're inaccurate, you get 0 yards, so you get a 0 for that pass attempt in your average. I was looking if there should be a direct use of pass completion percentage (although not all passes are the same).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #192
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Here's how it shakes out by my system:

Manning: 8.8-1.8+0.0-3.2+8.7 = 12.5
Locker: 6.9-0.7+7.1-7.3+5.3 = 11.3
Rodgers: 8.8-1.6+3.8-6.4+6.0 = 10.6
Luck: 7.0-1.3+6.5-6.3+4.5 = 10.4
Vick: 8.6-2.1+9.1-9.6+3.5 = 09.5
Kaepernick: 8.0-2.5+6.0-7.0+4.5 = 09.0
Dalton: 8.1-2.5+2.8-5.4+5.7 = 08.7
Rivers: 8.6-2.0+0.0-4.2+6.0 = 08.4
Griffin: 7.0-3.0+5.6-5.0+3.4 = 08.0
Stafford: 7.7-1.8+0.0-2.9+4.7 = 07.7
Brees: 8.5-1.8+0.0-6.2+7.0 = 07.5
Romo: 7.5-1.7+0.0-5.1+6.1 = 06.8
Newton: 7.7-2.5+4.6-9.4+5.9 = 06.3
Wilson: 7.9-2.0+5.6-11.6+6.3= 06.2
A.Smith: 6.3-1.4+5.3-7.7+3.1 = 05.6
Ryan: 7.3-2.3+0.0-4.1+4.6 = 05.5
Cutler: 7.4-3.1+0.0-4.3+5.3 = 05.3
Bradford: 6.4-1.5+0.0-5.4+5.3 = 04.8
Manuel: 6.6-2.0+3.6-8.0+3.3 = 03.5
Hoyer*: 6.4-3.1+0.0-5.9+5.2 = 02.6
Glennon: 5.5-1.7+0.0-5.2+3.3 = 01.9
Pryor: 7.3-4.5+7.4-12.3+3.2= 01.1
Tannehill: 6.8-3.4+3.9-10.9+4.2= 00.6
G.Smith: 7.4-5.1+5.1-10.0+3.2= 00.6
Ponder: 6.9-4.1+5.7-9.7+1.7 = 00.5
Schaub: 6.7-3.9+0.0-6.0+3.4 = 00.2
Flacco: 7.1-3.0+0.0-6.9+3.0 = 00.2
Brady: 5.9-2.0+0.0-7.0+2.9 = -00.2 - Does not compute
E.Manning: 7.1-4.9+0.0-5.8+3.3 = -00.3
Henne: 6.7-2.3+0.0-6.8+1.4 = -01.0
Roethlisbe: 7.4-2.7+0.0-9.1+3.1 = -01.3
Freeman: 5.2-3.2+0.0-5.2+1.4 = -01.8
Palmer: 6.7-4.9+0.0-7.5+3.5 = -02.2
Weeden: 5.9-3.1+0.0-9.7+2.6 = -04.3
Gabbert**: 5.6-8.1+3.6-12.2+1.2= -09.9

Sorry, but any system that puts Brady below the likes of Pomnder, Geno, Tannehill, Schaub, Glennon, etc... is seriously flawed.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #193
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, that's a high collective bar there.

This season though...he's not been good. Not by standard QB rating, or the goofy ESPN rating, or JR's rating. He doesn't run, he's getting sacked fairly often, he hasn't been accurate, and his yard/attempt is low (seems to be getting a boost from penalties on ESPN's rating though!). Not all his fault, but I doubt his teammates are completely to blame.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-30-2013 at 10:53 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #194
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

I'd bet the hand injury is a large part of it.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #195
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
My ratings system. PassYPA - INT% + RushYPA - Sack% + TD%.
For QB's with less than 3 rush attempts per game, their average is zeroed out. This system measures composite performance of QB+pass protection.

I think this is too harsh on the non-running QB.

Stud QB who throws for 10 yards per attempt gets a +5 over a stiff QB who throws for 5 yards per attempt.

Mediocre QB who takes the ball 4 times a game for 20 yards gets the same +5 advantage over a QB who does so 2 times for 10 yards?

Way, way too harsh.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #196
QuikSand
lolzcat

If you really want to introduce rushing at your scale (where you start with YPA as a base), then maybe:

-only consider rushing that nets out better than an "average" rush (like 4ypc)

-cut back the weighting - 1 more YPC rushing is not worth 1 more YPA passing

-weight more for guys who rush more

How about:

= (YPC - 4.0) * Rushes Per Game / 15

So, you'd get (per game stats):

10 carries for 80 yards = pretty big deal rushing threat = +4.0
5 carries for 40 yards = limited but effective = +2.0
5 carries for 25 yards = modest rushing threat = +0.1
<4 yards per carry or lower impact than above = 0 (not negative)

I know it's not as simple, but it gets a lot closer to picking up actual added value, I think. *shurg*

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-30-2013 at 11:34 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #197
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, I'd say there is a major flaw with the rushing average. I know what you are going for but the small amount of rush attempts should not compare to the amount of pass attempts.

For example, in 20 plays, let's compare a pocket quarterback to a mobile one. Would you rather have a QB who in 20 passes nets 8 yards per attempt, essentially giving you 160 yards in 20 plays?

Or would you rather have a QB who runs 20% of the time? All other things being equal, he's only giving you 128 yards in the air. Even a QB who gets you 6.0 yards per the four rush attempts, is still coming up short at 152 yards.

Essentially with your formula though, one QB is being given 8.0 points while the other (who is putting up less yards per total play) is being given 14.0 points, all other things being equal.

I know what you are thinking, that it would not be fair to compare the 20 pass plays to only 16 pass plays. But unfortunately, those plays have to come from somewhere. In my experience, teams with rushing QB's typically end up higher than the league average for rush attempts, leading me to conclude that these rushes typically come at the expense of passes. Even if this was not the case, and they were to come at the expense of running back carries, you would still need to compare that number to the overall average of the team RB yards per attempt, as someone mentioned.

Essentially, for a starting point, I think you are better off to combine rush yards and pass yards and divide that by total pass and rush attempts. Obviously, this does not take into account kneel downs, which hurt winning quarterbacks. The best thing I can think of would be to essentially credit two kneel downs per win, in both rush yards and attempts. Therefore Rush Yards + (Wins*2) and Rush Attempts - (Wins*2). This should somewhat offset, or at least balance out the kneeldowns.

Old Formula...
PassYPA - INT% + RushYPA - Sack% + TD%

New Formula...
[Pass Yds + Rush Yds + (Wins*2)] / [Pass Att + Rush Att - (Wins*2)] +TD% - INT% - Sack %

I haven't tested it at all yet so I have no idea what kind of figure you would get, and I may be totally off here.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #198
BillJasper
Pro Starter

There's really only one stat I judge QB's by: wins and losses.

The only question that matters is: would a team be better or worse without their starting QB?

The Patriots are 6-2 and there's no way they're a better team without Tom Brady. Even an injured Tom Brady. Since the QB is the center of everything a team does, wins need to be calculated into any "QB rating".

I know we all have an itch to quantify things statistically. But I simply think it's impossible to quantify the QB position through pure statistics.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #199
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

How exactly would you calculate whether a team would be "better or worse" without their starting QB? I mean the top 5-10 QBs everyone knows are good, but what about under that?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #200
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm prefacing this with - I'm thinking out loud here. Probably more than a few holes in this.

Why not weight the rushing YPC like so:

( QB Rushing YPC * ( QB Rushing Yards / Team Rushing Yards ) ).

It'll effectively give almost no rushing points to pure pocket passers, but also cut heavily into the too-high rushing average points.

Basically..

( Passing YPA + TD% - INT% ) + ( ( Rushing YPA * ( Rushing Yards / Team Rushing Yards ) ) -- I'm also doing away with sacks here.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-30-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote