Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #151
Raiders Army
Coordinator

The worst first two weeks I've ever watched.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:38 PM   #152
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Bring back Jeff George!

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #153
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Bring back Jeff George!

I'd have to think that may be the next move? Unless they are content to just go with Walter and Tsuisopoiodldiolgedingledangdo.

However the fuck you spell that guy's name.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #154
Danny
Head Coach

I hope they go with Walter. I think he is going to be a good quarterback eventually and they might as well get him as much experience as they can before next year.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:07 PM   #155
kingfc22
Head Coach

This thread is already a CLASSIC.

Good thing they got rid of Norv Turner because he obviosuly had no impact on their offense. *snickers*
Old 09-17-2006, 10:38 PM   #156
SunDevil
College Prospect

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...1&postcount=40

I would like to reiterate my earlier point.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:19 PM   #157
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

My take after today's game.

1. My original prediction was 8-8, but the preseason looked promising bumping my prediction up to 10-6. I know preseason is pretty much useless, but they seemed to be much more disciplined. Now I do believe it is most likely much closer to my original prediction of 8-8. I think the defense will eventually win them some games and if the offense could wake up even a little (it can't do much worse than the last two games), then we will surprise some people as the season continues.

2. Biggest weakness is Offensive line. I have hopes for improvement with Slater, Eatman and Shell coaching but they are limited in talent, starting a rookie, and no one is playing the position they played last year except for the C Grove and he is injured. They claim the blocking schemes we are using has produced spectacular results in the past, although I still wish we could move to a zone blocking scheme much like the one Shanahan employs in Denver. With today’s speed I think a strong, quick, athletic lineman is much more effective than a dinosaur that misses his man more often than not.

3. Walter is the qb that I thought he would be. He is talented and cool in the pocket. With the way the o-line played today absolutely NO ONE would have gone away without a pick or two. He is a work in progress and I just wish the genius of Norvell Turner could have worked him in a little late last year during a 4-12 season instead of sticking with someone who is stinking it up in Tennessee this year. He is basically a rookie that is having to play like a vet. There is no protecting him ala Rothlesberger or Rivers by letting him hand the ball off and take his shots sparingly because Lamont Jordan is an average runner/terrible blocking back in protection that would probably back up in most places.

4. The Defense is getting much better. I have been impressed with the speed they have added this year and last and it continues to improve with Sapps leadership and humble hard working players like Huff and Howard. Allowing only nine points with the field position the offense and special teams gave Baltimore early on was a nice effort.

5. I don't believe the time off has hurt Walsh's play calling ability, he isn't very good. I remember the Hostetler days and Walsh was abysmal then and he is abysmal today.

Remaining schedule:

Wins= Cleveland, at San Francisco, Arizona, Denver, Houston, St. Louis, Kansas City, at New York Jets = 8 wins

Losses= at Denver, Pittsburgh, at Seattle, at Kansas City, at Sandiego, at Cinncinatti, previous two losses = 8 losses
Old 09-17-2006, 11:33 PM   #158
Terps
College Prospect

I could see them losing 4 of those 8 wins you're predicting.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:35 PM   #159
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think you are underestimating SF. I also think Arizona, Houston, the Jets, St. Louis, and KC (assuming Green is back) will all beat them. I'll be shocked if this team ends up with more than 4 wins.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-17-2006 at 11:35 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:12 AM   #160
TroyF
Coordinator

Wins= Cleveland, at San Francisco, Arizona, Denver, Houston, St. Louis, Kansas City, at New York Jets = 8 wins

I'll give you Cleveland and Houston.

The Niners on the road is no gimme. I think they are the better team. Arizona is the same thing. The thing about those two games is your defense. If it plays well, you have a shot, because neither team has a dominant type defense. The Jets are a 50/50 thing. If Green is healthy, you have NO shot against KC. Their defense is better this year. I don't see Denver either. To good of a defense. Ditto with St. Louis.

The OLine is your biggest problem. If you can't stop a front 7 and establish any kind of running game, you can't beat a team. Walter is not that good and the WR core is average at best, even with Moss. (who now seems to be the highest paid possession WR in the game)

Because of that, I find it tough to believe the Raiders can beat any good defensive team. The OL and overall offensive structure just aren't good enough to score. As for your defense, keep in mind that San Diego and Baltimore both played ultra conservative games. After the first couple of series, they realize you aren't going to score, so they reign back the offense in.

It becomes a matter of simply hanging on to the ball if you have a good defense, because you know the Raiders aren't scoring more than 10 points. That's gotta change if you want to be dreaming about 8-8.

I don't see how this team has more than 4 wins. To be honest, I think that would be a major achievment in itself.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:37 AM   #161
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
Walter will be the starter by the end of the year.

looks like I was right after all. he'll start the next game and barring injury be the starter for the rest of the year. now if their o-line could give him some time.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:42 AM   #162
jbmagic
Pro Starter

The sacks will go down. Walter as Qb will get rid of the ball faster than Brooks.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:38 AM   #163
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Much like with Plummer, why in the world did the Raiders think Brooks was going to be good as the starter? It just boggles my mind sometimes.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:54 AM   #164
Raiders Army
Coordinator

To be fair, I think Brooks is playing "within the system". He's executing the gameplan...the problem is, the gameplan sucks.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:51 AM   #165
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo.Raider View Post
My take after today's game.

1. My original prediction was 8-8, but the preseason looked promising bumping my prediction up to 10-6. I know preseason is pretty much useless, but they seemed to be much more disciplined. Now I do believe it is most likely much closer to my original prediction of 8-8. I think the defense will eventually win them some games and if the offense could wake up even a little (it can't do much worse than the last two games), then we will surprise some people as the season continues.

2. Biggest weakness is Offensive line. I have hopes for improvement with Slater, Eatman and Shell coaching but they are limited in talent, starting a rookie, and no one is playing the position they played last year except for the C Grove and he is injured. They claim the blocking schemes we are using has produced spectacular results in the past, although I still wish we could move to a zone blocking scheme much like the one Shanahan employs in Denver. With today’s speed I think a strong, quick, athletic lineman is much more effective than a dinosaur that misses his man more often than not.

3. Walter is the qb that I thought he would be. He is talented and cool in the pocket. With the way the o-line played today absolutely NO ONE would have gone away without a pick or two. He is a work in progress and I just wish the genius of Norvell Turner could have worked him in a little late last year during a 4-12 season instead of sticking with someone who is stinking it up in Tennessee this year. He is basically a rookie that is having to play like a vet. There is no protecting him ala Rothlesberger or Rivers by letting him hand the ball off and take his shots sparingly because Lamont Jordan is an average runner/terrible blocking back in protection that would probably back up in most places.

4. The Defense is getting much better. I have been impressed with the speed they have added this year and last and it continues to improve with Sapps leadership and humble hard working players like Huff and Howard. Allowing only nine points with the field position the offense and special teams gave Baltimore early on was a nice effort.

5. I don't believe the time off has hurt Walsh's play calling ability, he isn't very good. I remember the Hostetler days and Walsh was abysmal then and he is abysmal today.

Remaining schedule:

Losses= at Denver, Pittsburgh, at Seattle, at Kansas City, at Sandiego, at Cinncinatti, previous two losses = 8 losses

This is my front runner for "homer post of the year" award
Old 09-18-2006, 08:52 AM   #166
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

On a side note, how pathetic is it when you are a major apologist/homer and even you cant predict more than 8-8?
Old 09-18-2006, 08:54 AM   #167
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This is my new favorite thread on this board. Let's get this thing up to 25 pages.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:55 AM   #168
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
To be fair, I think Brooks is playing "within the system". He's executing the gameplan...the problem is, the gameplan sucks.

I dunno, he sucks pretty bad too. It's not just the gameplan.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #169
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Much like with Plummer, why in the world did the Raiders think Brooks was going to be good as the starter? It just boggles my mind sometimes.

I'll tell you something, I hate Jake Plummer. Despise the guy. Wish he wasn't my QB.

But comparing him to Brooks is ridiculous. Plummer had one hell of a season last year, despite my hatred of him. He's not the answer, but he's a hell of a lot better option than Brooks is. As QB of the Broncos, he's had a rating over 90 twice in three seasons. Brooks has never been and never will get there.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:07 AM   #170
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

How pissed are the guys who drafted Randy Moss in the first round of their fantasy draft?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:14 AM   #171
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble_Platypus View Post
How pissed are the guys who drafted Randy Moss in the first round of their fantasy draft?

Does it matter? I've had Moss on a ton of fantasy teams. He's led me to titles in previous years. Yet anyone thinking he was on his way to a monster year this season was nuts.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:15 AM   #172
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

No excuses for the 2 fumbles he had on Sunday for the first two snaps.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:19 AM   #173
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Does it matter? I've had Moss on a ton of fantasy teams. He's led me to titles in previous years. Yet anyone thinking he was on his way to a monster year this season was nuts.

Well, you dont draft a guy in the first round unless you think he is going to have a Monster year.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #174
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, you dont draft a guy in the first round unless you think he is going to have a Monster year.

That's my point. If they thought he was going to, they were wacko. I don't care how mad they are, I just hope to have them in one of my leagues next year.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:59 AM   #175
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Who is the bigger flop now that they are out of Minnesota, Culpepper or Moss?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:06 AM   #176
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

Culpepper. He threw one ball yesterday that was up there for the worst pass of all time.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:10 AM   #177
st.cronin
General Manager

Definitely Culpepper. Culpepper is the new Aaron Brooks.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #178
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Moss.

Knowledgeable football observers always knew that it was Moss who made Culpepper. Unfortunately, he stopped playing hard sometime in 2004 and hasn't since.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #179
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Culpepper. Moss cant help it his quaterback doesnt have time or the arm to get him the ball.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #180
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Two or three more weeks behind that Oakland offensive line, and Aaron Brooks will be the new Aaron Brooks.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #181
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

Granted I haven't watched Moss because well, who watches the Raiders but I've seen 2 Culpeeper games this season and was left thinking they were way better off with AJ Feely and Sage Rosefels at the helm.

And they'd be better off Mike Mularky-less.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #182
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Two or three more weeks behind that Oakland offensive line, and Aaron Brooks will be the new Aaron Brooks.

I don't think Aaron Brooks will be spending any more time behind the Oakland offensive line. Aaron Brooks is the new Tommy Maddox.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #183
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Granted I haven't watched Moss because well, who watches the Raiders but I've seen 2 Culpeeper games this season and was left thinking they were way better off with AJ Feely and Sage Rosefels at the helm.

And they'd be better off Mike Mularky-less.

But I think you can make the argument that Culpepper was becoming this way before he got hurt in 2005. So actually leaving Minnesota hurt Moss more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #184
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

im just glad niether are in Minnesota anymore
Old 09-18-2006, 11:38 AM   #185
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I don't think Aaron Brooks will be spending any more time behind the Oakland offensive line. Aaron Brooks is the new Tommy Maddox.
Wow, I guess Tommy Maddox is the new Jeff Blake.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:55 AM   #186
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I never thought I would say this seriously but Jeff George is the Raiders best option right now. How sad is that?
Old 09-18-2006, 12:39 PM   #187
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'll tell you something, I hate Jake Plummer. Despise the guy. Wish he wasn't my QB.

But comparing him to Brooks is ridiculous. Plummer had one hell of a season last year, despite my hatred of him. He's not the answer, but he's a hell of a lot better option than Brooks is. As QB of the Broncos, he's had a rating over 90 twice in three seasons. Brooks has never been and never will get there.

My apologies. That indeed was unfair to Plummer. My point about unrealistic expectations remains unchanged. But, as I said in a previous post, Plummer is a good QB who can get you about 11 wins with the right group around him, but never win the big one. Brooks on the other hand is just laughable.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #188
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I never thought I would say this seriously but Jeff George is the Raiders best option right now. How sad is that?

Not true. Andrew Walter is the best option right now, looking towards the future. Jeff George might win a few more games, but he isn't a long-term investment.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #189
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Quote:
Not true. Andrew Walter is the best option right now, looking towards the future. Jeff George might win a few more games, but he isn't a long-term investment.

neither is getting Walters killed behind the poor excuse of an offensive line. Let George take some lumps until your line gets better and Gallery gets healthy (not like that would help much) and then put Walter in. Plus you would admit to giving up on the season 2 weeks in. I mean we all know you guys are headed for the first overall pick, but do you want to be blatent about it? On top of that, do you think Walter is a legit starter? I think he is headed for solid back up status, not starter
Old 09-18-2006, 01:24 PM   #190
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Letting Walters play right now is the best way to ruin a qb prospect.

Raiders are doing it all right and firing on all cylinders.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:47 PM   #191
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i found the perfect smiley to describe the Raiders season

Last edited by bulletsponge : 09-18-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #192
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
neither is getting Walters killed behind the poor excuse of an offensive line. Let George take some lumps until your line gets better and Gallery gets healthy (not like that would help much) and then put Walter in. Plus you would admit to giving up on the season 2 weeks in. I mean we all know you guys are headed for the first overall pick, but do you want to be blatent about it? On top of that, do you think Walter is a legit starter? I think he is headed for solid back up status, not starter

Hmmm...upon reflection, you're correct about putting Walter in and letting him get killed with no running game; however, I think he has all of the tools to be a great starter.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:31 PM   #193
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I see Walter as a solid backup/stop gap starter, not someone you go into the season planning to play every game
Old 09-18-2006, 06:32 PM   #194
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
I see Walter as a solid backup/stop gap starter, not someone you go into the season planning to play every game

Walter is going to be ok. He just needs to play and gain experience.

He doent hold the ball long like Brooks does. So the sacks will go down.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:36 PM   #195
saldana
Pro Starter

after the past 2 weeks, the only thing the raiders should be concerned about is what size jersey does Brady Quinn wear?
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #196
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
after the past 2 weeks, the only thing the raiders should be concerned about is what size jersey does Brady Quinn wear?

But first, wouldn't it make sense to figure out what size their 1st round pick will wear?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:51 PM   #197
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
But first, wouldn't it make sense to figure out what size their 1st round pick will wear?

guess you arent a ND fan? ( i am not either, just dont have the slightest idea who the potential #1 for next year is, and quinn is the only real heisman hype guy i hear about)
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #198
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
guess you arent a ND fan? ( i am not either, just dont have the slightest idea who the potential #1 for next year is, and quinn is the only real heisman hype guy i hear about)

I really am impartial to ND. While I hate the amount of attention they get, their success is really important to the Big East. If they don't get the at-large BCS spot, they will basically take away a big-time (obviously non-BCS) bowl from a deserving BE team.

I'm only half-kidding about Quinn slipping. He'll never make it out of the 1st round when Weis takes over for Parcells. I hear he likes the kid.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:45 PM   #199
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Brady Quinn is the press's pretty boy QB that they will pump up all year. im suprised they can get thier mouths off of ND schlong long enough to hype him as much as they are. if Al Davis picks him #1 it will prove that he has lost all sense of reality
Old 09-18-2006, 08:12 PM   #200
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
Culpepper. Moss cant help it his quaterback doesnt have time or the arm to get him the ball.

He would have plenty of time if Moss would stop jogging his routes. The only route he seems interested in running is the fly. Short of that Brooks, or however that decide to put in, will get sacked every-other-play waiting for him to get into his cuts.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote