Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2014, 03:50 AM   #151
whomario
Pro Starter

Historic Night in the NBA: Kobe is now the all time leader in ... missed FGs

Dirk moves past Olajuwon into 9th place among the All Time Scoring List, should move into 7th this season and past Shaq into 6th next season and hit 30k before it is all said and done.

Other than that, the Spurs getting better and Grizzlies 7-1.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-12-2014 at 04:04 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #152
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watching this Mexico city game. There is no life in that arena. It's like the early games of the NCAA tournament.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #153
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
The Magic definitely like Fournier and almost drafted him in 2012. He's better than marginal, since he's already proven by age 20 that he's at the very least a rotation player that can shoot it.

It's still a good trade for Denver, but Orlando's front office has done enough over the past couple years to get the benefit of the doubt that they're not totally getting whitewashed on this deal.

I don't think it's too early to say that this was another trade that's worked out for Orlando even though everyone thought they were stupid/tanking for making the deal. Fournier has scored 19, 24, and 28 points in his last 3 games and is shooting over 50% from 3 for the year.

Meanwhile, Denver is playing like absolute garbage and Afflalo's done nothing for them.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #154
stevew
Hall Of Famer

"Why don't we have the owners play half the games?" Roberts said, speaking in her Harlem office to ESPN The Magazine. "There would be no money if not for the players."
"Let's call it what it is. There. Would. Be. No. Money," she added, pausing for emphasis. "Thirty more owners can come in, and nothing will change. These guys [the players] go? The game will change. So let's stop pretending."
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #155
stevew
Hall Of Famer

NBA owners expendable, players' union chief Michele Roberts says - ESPN
Old 11-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #156
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Somebody get the popcorn ready ... something to eat while watching the NBA labor strife that seems sure to come.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #157
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is it any harder to fail at collective bargaining than the NBAPA the last couple of times?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #158
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
"Why don't we have the owners play half the games?" Roberts said, speaking in her Harlem office to ESPN The Magazine. "There would be no money if not for the players."
"Let's call it what it is. There. Would. Be. No. Money," she added, pausing for emphasis. "Thirty more owners can come in, and nothing will change. These guys [the players] go? The game will change. So let's stop pretending."

That's an interesting point. Once, a bunch of people got together and took a chance and created a league. It became something, and they deserve to benefit from that. But does that continue forever? If not, how do you govern the league? Difficult question.

I trust the owners to do a better job than the players in governing a league, though. The players would be more interested in seniority, naturally.

Another interesting point is the one Derrick Rose brought up yesterday. He said he sits out games because he's concerned about the long-term effects of playing on his health after retirement.

We're used to the picture of professional athletes sacrificing that health for more immediate goals. They're "heroes" for that reason. Rose is challenging that picture.

This seems like a reasonable decision on his part, but it goes to the heart of fans and fanaticism. I don't think it will play well in Chicago.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #159
miami_fan
Coordinator

Derrick, you should have followed the media advice from Sheed!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 11-13-2014 at 05:13 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #160
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Breaking news - union leader doesn't understand how economics works
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #161
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The 76ers are trailing the Mavericks 54-14 halfway through the 2nd quarter.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #162
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The 76ers are trailing the Mavericks 54-14 halfway through the 2nd quarter.

They are waiting on their SI cover story.

The 76ers: Your 2016-2017 NBA Champions
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #163
Suicane75
Coordinator

Sixers make it very easy for me not to give a fudge about the NBA anymore.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #164
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
That's an interesting point. Once, a bunch of people got together and took a chance and created a league. It became something, and they deserve to benefit from that. But does that continue forever? If not, how do you govern the league? Difficult question.

I trust the owners to do a better job than the players in governing a league, though. The players would be more interested in seniority, naturally.

Another interesting point is the one Derrick Rose brought up yesterday. He said he sits out games because he's concerned about the long-term effects of playing on his health after retirement.

We're used to the picture of professional athletes sacrificing that health for more immediate goals. They're "heroes" for that reason. Rose is challenging that picture.

This seems like a reasonable decision on his part, but it goes to the heart of fans and fanaticism. I don't think it will play well in Chicago.

Annnnnnnnddddd, Rose injured his hamstring tonight.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #165
korme
Go Reds

I'm starting to think Derrick Rose is Grant Hill and/or Penny.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #166
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I loved hearing Barkley destroy that little bitch Rose last night.

Newsflash for Rose, I'm 39 and my knees and ankles hurt, it happens to us all. If he is so worried he should retire and go work for an insurance company. I would never want that guy on my team.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:28 AM   #167
RainMaker
General Manager

I just don't think Rose cares much about winning or competing. He likes selling shoes and making money. The playing not so much.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:47 AM   #168
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I just don't think Rose cares much about winning or competing. He likes selling shoes and making money. The playing not so much.

Which is why I would never want him on my team. If he has half the heart of Noah they would be winning multiple titles.

He wants to be a brand icon, not a sports icon.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:00 AM   #169
RainMaker
General Manager

It's also tough to tell who the real Rose is. His brother and other "friends" control so much of his life.

There are some in Chicago who feel Rose is actually a really great guy who loves basketball and would give anything to win but is getting fed terrible advice by people he is close with who have different agendas.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #170
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It's also tough to tell who the real Rose is. His brother and other "friends" control so much of his life.

There are some in Chicago who feel Rose is actually a really great guy who loves basketball and would give anything to win but is getting fed terrible advice by people he is close with who have different agendas.
There's a lot of people who want to believe this. But this is the same guy who got his high school grades fudged and had someone take his SAT. And unless one of his posse (or whatever the current urban word is for it) is a ventriloquist, those stupid comments over the last three seasons are emanating from his mouth/half-a-brain. Add that to the fact that he is really one of the most overrated players in the league -- and that was true before his injuries. He's got "magic" skills alright -- they are an illusion. At best he's got an average shot. At best he's an average NBA passer (not even an average point guard passer). He has below average ball handling skills. Did you ever notice how many times at the end of games he has turned the ball over in his career? He looks like effing Ben Gordon with the ball in his hands. He's becoming more and more like the NBA version of Jay Cutler. And plays about as many games in a season. I guess that he's just saving himself for the '16/'17 season when he'll be an MVP candidate in order to get some idiot GM to sign him to another fat contract.

And while I'm ranting, Doug McDermott looks more like Adam Morrison than Kyle Korver. He is god-awful at the NBA level.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #171
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Going to be interesting to see how the Kings react following their latest two games. They started the season strong, and Cousins looks like he may be figuring things out, but two huge blown leads in a row - the most recent on a terribly botched defensive effort on an inbounds pass with 0.3 left on the clock - will test their morale early in the year.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #172
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
And while I'm ranting, Doug McDermott looks more like Adam Morrison than Kyle Korver. He is god-awful at the NBA level.

This made me randomly curious, so I looked up the stats for the first 9 games of the respective careers

McDermott: 114 minutes, 5/17 3p, 16/32 all FGA, 14 rebounds, 6 turnovers
Korver: 35 minutes, 3/9 3p, 3/14 all FGA, 7 rebounds, 2 turnovers

It took Korver 19 games (not counting 5 DNP's) to reach 114 minutes in his rookie season. In the first 18 games he was 5/19 on 3PA, in the next 5 outings he went 12/15.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #173
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm beginning to think weegeeboard is actually Rosenbloom (for the non Chicago folks, our local troll sports writer for the Tribune) in disguise.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #174
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I'm beginning to think weegeeboard is actually Rosenbloom (for the non Chicago folks, our local troll sports writer for the Tribune) in disguise.

Either way, the takes are coming in SCORCHING hot!

The ending of that Kings game was weird to me. Disregarding whether getting a rebound, calling a timeout, and completing the alley-oop can take place in 0.6 seconds, the inbounds pass definitely got tipped. If every single arena has cameras measuring the exact location of players at all times, it should be child's play to show that the ball's trajectory changed in mid-air.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #175
Groundhog
Coordinator

Two missed layups by LeBron in the first half on plays he would've thrown down dunks last season.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #176
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Pelicans have 80 points AT THE HALF against the Twolves.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #177
Groundhog
Coordinator

LeBron isn't even putting his hands up on D.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #178
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

So in the past 3 days, we have had a lot of huge blowouts indicative of how far ahead the good teams are of the bad teams.

YAY PARITY!
Old 11-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #179
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
LeBron isn't even putting his hands up on D.

Definitely one of the most lackluster 42-point performances with the game-saving defensive play anyone could ever have.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #180
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Definitely one of the most lackluster 42-point performances with the game-saving defensive play anyone could ever have.

Yup he had 41 points and made the game saving swipe.... But he is also not getting around screens, not defending shooters, and showing a complete lack of hustle. Yeah, he put up a ton of points, but hey, he's the most talented guy in the world. Against this (lack of) D tonight being played on both sides, LeBron probably could've beat Kobe's record.

Hey, I'm a Cavs fan and I'm happy LeBron is back, but he looks off.

Last edited by Groundhog : 11-14-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #181
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
So in the past 3 days, we have had a lot of huge blowouts indicative of how far ahead the good teams are of the bad teams.

YAY PARITY!

Winless 76ers are within 3 of the 7-1 Rockets on the road right now. Sigh

SI

Old 11-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #182
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That game played out like Carlito's way and Bron was Benny from the Bronx
Old 11-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #183
nol
Banned

Add the Hawks to the long list of teams that are tanking the entire regular season because they're on pace to lose a game by 30+ points.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #184
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dion was +45. Crazy.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #185
mckerney
Coordinator

Timberwolves managed to put up a better defensive effort tonight and held Dallas to 131.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #186
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cavs have 8 of 9 at home including tonight. Would be nice to put together a huge win streak.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #187
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
I had a much longer reply planned but I'm on a deadline. What part of my post about Rose was incorrect?
Old 11-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #188
kingfc22
Head Coach

In case you missed this during last night's Warriors blowout win.

Crazy Lance does himself one better.

Lance Stephenson draws foul by slapping himself in his own face | NBA | Sporting News
Old 11-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #189
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

You can certainly tell how well the bears are doing by how often he shows up in the weekly NFL threads.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #190
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
You can certainly tell how well the bears are doing by how often he shows up in the weekly NFL threads.
Really? You're going to go there? You still want to stand by all of your...um...misguided comments about Trestman and the Bears offense from last year? I can repost them if you like. No one asked you to comment so you can go away now.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #191
nol
Banned

With all the talk about blowouts and uncompetitive games, I calculated the average margin of victory in all NBA games this year (excluding games played today), and it's 10.21 points. Although it will almost certainly go down since strength of schedule will begin to even out, I wonder how this compares to the past.

My intuition is that 10.21 is likely just magnified by a few recent blowouts and isn't too out of line, but I could see it being higher than in the past just because teams shoot three pointers more often (which by definition introduces more variance to the scoring margin) and more accurately than ever before. If a team starts out hitting 8+ 3s in the first quarter, the game becomes that much more likely to head into blowout territory.

Last edited by nol : 11-16-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #192
nol
Banned

dola, what are they trying to save Kobe for at this point? He's done after next season. Let him go for his 50+ points, it's not like he's gonna need to stay fresh for the playoff run down the stretch.

Last edited by nol : 11-16-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:51 PM   #193
Groundhog
Coordinator

Jeremy Lin: 0-2 shooting, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 turnover, 22 minutes. Yuck.

All aboard The Kobe Retirement Tour....
Old 11-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #194
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

Kobe Bryant 3-12 3 pointers. Yeah! Every non-Lakers fan.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #195
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

You know, the Lakers might just have to give serious thought to that Kobe for Beal, Nene, and a couple of firsts offer, especially if Wahington can talk them into adding Nash and Wall into the deal.

-Sam Smith

Last edited by Shkspr : 11-16-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #196
Groundhog
Coordinator

It all makes sense now! They trade Kobe and Nash for Beal, Nene and maybe Wall too, and then sign Love as a free agent! Genius!!!!
Old 11-17-2014, 01:13 AM   #197
whomario
Pro Starter

Not a single player shot over 50% in the Rockets-Thunder game, has that ever happened before ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:43 AM   #198
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Not a single player shot over 50% in the Rockets-Thunder game, has that ever happened before ?

Yes if you count Kobe as five players

Last edited by Desnudo : 11-17-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #199
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

And both teams ended under 30% shooting for the night. How ugly

SI

Old 11-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #200
miami_fan
Coordinator

Jeff Taylor of Charlotte Hornets suspended total of 24 games after pleading guilty in domestic violence case - ESPN

Sorry Commish. The standard has been set whether you like it or not.