Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #151
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So has anyone figured out what the proper spacing is or should be for cities? Now that we aren't limited to the fat cross or even growing in symmetrical ways, and the fact that we can buy land, it seems that building cities just to take up space is not as important anymore. Which I like - I hated having to create a settler just to make sure every square inch of land was in my border.

One thing I was a little disappointed with in the graphics was the zoom. I really liked how close we could zoom in with Civ IV, and 5 years later, it seems like that's taken a step back, which is odd to me. Also, rivers don't look very natural, especially where they flow into the ocean. They are an odd shade of blue that stick out too much.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #152
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Regarding the zoom, fnd the config.ini file in My Games/Civ5 and change

Minimum Zoom Resolution (something like that) from 11.00000 to 4.00000.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #153
Ksyrup

Thanks!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #154
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Wow that Celtic civ seems way overpowered - giving most of your units double attack? Combat units which ignore terrain?

Yeah, it is just a mod and one I am not going to use actually the units seem some what more fantasy like than real ife plus it changes the appearance of all units on the field to one large unit so the 8 pikemen become one in appearance only.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #155
Galaril
Pro Starter

The only issue I have had is I have to boot up Steam and left click the game name in steam. I f I try to clcik the icons on my desktop for CIV V I get a DEP issue and after checking for some reason maybe it is Steam you can not turn off DEP for CIV V. Also, the dx/10/11 will not work though I have upgraded everything. Many people from looking on the forum are having the same issue so I am sure they are working ona patch for it. It could also be something with VISTA 64 i guess since that also seems to be part of this.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #156
Ksyrup

That's something I had a question about - I don't see an option to start the game from anything other than Steam. How do you even get the icons on your desktop? It never gave me that option (that I recall seeing). You wouldn't even know I have Civ V on my computer by looking at my desktop, unless you opened Steam.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-22-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #157
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That's something I had a question about - I don't see an option to start the game from anything other than Steam. How do you even get the icons on your desktop? It never gave me that option (that I recall seeing). You wouldn't even know I have Civ V on my computer by looking at my desktop, unless you opened Steam.

During the install, there was an option to setup a shortcut on the desktop AND/OR in your start menu.

I don't think you can start the game outside of steam though. Even the shortcuts still launch the application directly but within steam.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #158
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
During the install, there was an option to setup a shortcut on the desktop AND/OR in your start menu.

I don't think you can start the game outside of steam though. Even the shortcuts still launch the application directly but within steam.

Actually you are suppose to be able to access the game from those desktop icons in offline mode but they are not working. This all points to some issues with Steam. I hope going with Steam was worth it and I am sure it was from a money standpoint.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #159
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Actually you are suppose to be able to access the game from those desktop icons in offline mode but they are not working. This all points to some issues with Steam. I hope going with Steam was worth it and I am sure it was from a money standpoint.

That better be fixed in their first patch. I don't care to have to connect to the internet to play a single player game.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #160
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
That better be fixed in their first patch. I don't care to have to connect to the internet to play a single player game.

F@#$ing A right on that.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #161
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Sigh.

International release date is on the 24th. Even my Steam says so.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #162
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post

Huh. I don't recall that at all.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #163
Icy
Pro Starter

There is an option somewhere in steam for Offline mode or something like that, but not sure where to find it as i have never used it.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #164
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Huh. I don't recall that at all.

I usually get that prompt for most games I install via Steam, but I don't recall seeing it for Civ V. Maybe because I pre-loaded it?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #165
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
There is an option somewhere in steam for Offline mode or something like that, but not sure where to find it as i have never used it.

With Steam open, click on the Steam menu, and click on Go Offline.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #166
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post

Yes if you right click the game in steam it gives you the option but it will not work without steam at this point apparently a bug.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #167
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm really enjoying the game. It feels 'smaller', in the sense that rapid expansion is limited by a number of factors, but that's a good thing. I think the new interface is terrific, too. I really like the social policies - much better than the old government systems. Like everyone else, I think the addition of city states and the new combat system is a real plus. And the elimination of lots of busy work from the older editions is great. I guess I'm in the minority on this point, but I'm not yet sold on the ability of land units to move across the water without transports - I thought the logistical problems of moving invading forces over bodies of water added some depth. I also miss not being able to see how each nation relates to the others, or to being able to see exactly where you stand with another country when a proposal is being made. But overall, the game is great - the whole experience seems more organic. Sucked me in way past my bedtime last night.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #168
henry296
College Starter

I was able to end a turn with Enter. I think I had to have next turn as the option when no orders are left.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #169
spleen1015
Coordinator

Any interest in playing a succession game?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #170
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Starting up the game from Steam and it shows I played 10 hours last night. I just woke up BTW, went to bed about 7am.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #171
mrkilla22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Any interest in playing a succession game?

succession game?
mrkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #172
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkilla22 View Post
succession game?

You have a group of 5 or so people. Each person plays about 10 turns and pass the saved game to the next person. As you play out your turn, you document and post what you did and why. Then in between turns, the group talks about strategy, what to do next, etc.

I found it was a good way to learn a lot with Civ IV.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #173
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

The game should be in

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v

(or somewhere inside the Steam folder)

Right click on CivilizationV.exe , Send To -> Desktop

That'll create the shortcut for the desktop. The shortcut will start Steam and then start the game.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #174
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Finished my first Civ V game during a conference call

As Japan, won a domination victory in turn 347 with a score of 3889. That was good enough for a ranking of Augustus Cesar.

As mentioned this morning, the default settings are obviously super easy, probably for beginners or people not familiar with Civ games.

Time to crank up the difficulty a few notches and give the game a proper whirl, the first game was absolutely zero challenge.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #175
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
The game should be in

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v

(or somewhere inside the Steam folder)

Right click on CivilizationV.exe , Send To -> Desktop

That'll create the shortcut for the desktop. The shortcut will start Steam and then start the game.

Thanks. I was going to check that when I got home tonight. Although apparently it won't work right now...?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #176
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't taken the plunge yet. I did read Tom Chick's Review though. He's not in love.

I really enjoyed his Parabola description.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 09-22-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #177
molson
General Manager

My impressions of the impressions are positive - sounds a lot like CIV IV when it first came out. I'm still loving CIV IV, so I'm just going to pass on this until the first expansions/mods really get out and rolling. I didn't really get into CIV IV until the longer gametime setting and info Mods were implemented.

Which reminds me - how's the gametime in V? That was a big early issue in CIV IV. I like my CIV games to take an obnoxiously long time. Like weeks.

Last edited by molson : 09-22-2010 at 04:11 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #178
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I haven't taken the plunge yet. I did read Tom Chick's Review though. He's not in love.

I really enjoyed his Parabola description.

He's right on a few things. Diplomacy has definitely taken a step back and almost feels random now(in my one game so far nearly every nation has been at war with me and then a few turns after peace is declared, they are back to offering me pacts and open borders). I'd have much rather they taken away the additional graphics and voiceovers and just left the old interface and functions in place.

I've also seen some very interesting math with regards to resources, but I don't know if those are bugs or just my poor understanding of how the underlying game works. If the latter, they could definitely be explained more clearly.

All being said, no way that stuff adds up to a C game.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #179
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

All being said, no way that stuff adds up to a C game.

Just by what I've gathered by living vicariously, I agree with you. A grade of C is pretty Harsh. I'm guessing that grade is more indicative of how Civ V a few days in would stand up against the great strategy games of yesteryear. I'm a Tom Chick fan from back in the days of his fight club, but a C looks less than generous.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #180
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
My impressions of the impressions are positive - sounds a lot like CIV IV when it first came out. I'm still loving CIV IV, so I'm just going to pass on this until the first expansions/mods really get out and rolling. I didn't really get into CIV IV until the longer gametime setting and info Mods were implemented.

Which reminds me - how's the gametime in V? That was a big early issue in CIV IV. I like my CIV games to take an obnoxiously long time. Like weeks.

I have always been a marathon player as long as they have had that mode. It seems like the same old marathon, though I am wondering if I could play marathon all the time on this game. My first game was marathon but due to dumb mistake getting to know the game (I did no pre-reading on Civ V at all) I was doing crappy. The game felt like normal marathon length though even though I only played until 1100 BC. My second game which I still have going I took the next speed down just to give it a try. This speed may be a better fit for me in this game but I will play marathon on game #3 all the way through before I know for sure.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #181
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I have terrible willpower, downloading now.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #182
Passacaglia
Coordinator

What are the pros and cons of playing marathon (in general, not just specific to this version)?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #183
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Some of his review I agree with, the diplomacy part is one of my bigger gripes so far. I disagree with him on the interface though. The more I play, the more the interface grows on me. I enjoy how it makes some tasks easier.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #184
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
What are the pros and cons of playing marathon (in general, not just specific to this version)?

Mostly just a longer game timewise. You have to pace certain things out differently as times for how many turns things take changes. If you really enjoy the different parts of the game you likely will enjoy marathon. If you don't enjoy the early parts of the game and prefer late game, you likely won't enjoy it.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #185
bronconick
College Starter

Just something I've noticed since my laptop surpasses minimum but falls short of recommended, but as you move into the later game and you find yourself sitting for a minute or two while it rotates through after you hit next turn, try going to the dorky looking strategic map just before clicking next turn and I've found it moves a bit faster. I've been doing that while at peace (I prefer to watch my enemies bash themselves on my superior troops when at war) and it picked up the pace some for me.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #186
mrkilla22
High School Varsity

Anybody up for a multiplayer game sometime?
mrkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #187
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Just something I've noticed since my laptop surpasses minimum but falls short of recommended, but as you move into the later game and you find yourself sitting for a minute or two while it rotates through after you hit next turn, try going to the dorky looking strategic map just before clicking next turn and I've found it moves a bit faster. I've been doing that while at peace (I prefer to watch my enemies bash themselves on my superior troops when at war) and it picked up the pace some for me.

Thanks, will try this out if it comes to this. My laptop is the same, about 1/3 of the way between minimum and recommended on Can You Play It? It's new, has a i5, but no dedicated graphics (though I must say for integrated graphics the i5 does a pretty decent job I guess).
Old 09-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #188
bhlloy
Coordinator

Diplomacy definitely has me a bit annoyed so far... I'm basically just rotating between being at war and at peace between the 4-5 nations on my continent. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it either, it's not like I'm ignoring their demands or making any demands myself. Honestly, I don't like what they've done with diplomacy at all and it seems to get worse the longer I play.

The rest of the game is awesome... but this definitely has the potential to be a big downer. Interested to hear if others have the same opinion or if there are ways to play diplomatically and not have the rest of the world declare war on you every 50 turns no matter what.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #189
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Diplomacy definitely has me a bit annoyed so far... I'm basically just rotating between being at war and at peace between the 4-5 nations on my continent. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it either, it's not like I'm ignoring their demands or making any demands myself. Honestly, I don't like what they've done with diplomacy at all and it seems to get worse the longer I play.

The rest of the game is awesome... but this definitely has the potential to be a big downer. Interested to hear if others have the same opinion or if there are ways to play diplomatically and not have the rest of the world declare war on you every 50 turns no matter what.

What lvl are you playing on? I'm playing on Prince and I'm not seeing nations declaring war on me. I had France and Germany pissed off at me but they had their reasons to.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #190
sabotai
General Manager

They ain't kidding when they call it Marathon. I was well passed 300+ turns and still in the BC years.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #191
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

AI civs seem to be much more protective of their borders and aware of what you're doing. If you build close to a civ that's militaristic then you can pretty much guarantee there's going to be war.

Another thing to keep in mind is the AI actually plays to win now according to Firaxis. Not only that each has a preferred path to victory. However, if a Civ that generally prefers winning one way sees that another civ has them beat there then they will either switch things up or attempt to take you out.

They've supposedly taken a huge step forward with the AI in terms of it actually having a clue what it's doing and having goals. There's probably some things that need to be tweaked over the next couple of patches, but there's definitely going to be an adjustment period for everyone since they're playing against more intelligent AI.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #192
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

IF you have an older PC or a laptop just over the minimum requirements, try Game Booster 2. Not sure it helps a ton but it's a nice easy way to shut down all unneeded programs and clear our your RAM for when you are gaming, for some every little thing helps.

It's in beta, and free...
Game better with Game Booster 2 beta | Crave - CNET
Old 09-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #193
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, my second game seemed much better as I wasn't stuck between Germany and the Aztecs (who I assume are 2 civs that like to win military style if they can) They did a pretty good job in the end of ending my first game, just as I thought I'd beaten the Aztec wave for the loss of most of my units but with my cities intact, the Germans showed up with multiple catapults and another 10-15 foot units and just kicked my ass. AI is clearly much better. Still wish there was more feedback on diplomacy and it was more like the old system, but this time through nobody has even gone hostile with me yet.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 AM   #194
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, my second game seemed much better as I wasn't stuck between Germany and the Aztecs (who I assume are 2 civs that like to win military style if they can) They did a pretty good job in the end of ending my first game, just as I thought I'd beaten the Aztec wave for the loss of most of my units but with my cities intact, the Germans showed up with multiple catapults and another 10-15 foot units and just kicked my ass. AI is clearly much better. Still wish there was more feedback on diplomacy and it was more like the old system, but this time through nobody has even gone hostile with me yet.

Lack of diplomatic feedback is probably my biggest gripe so far.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #195
Butter
Coordinator

Just ordered my new desktop from Dell, now I have to wait the 2 weeks for it to build and ship and THEN I'm totally playing the shit out of this.

My less than 2 year old other system wouldn't even come close to handling this, so it is now becoming the "kid's computer".

Oh, and btw this was mostly my wife's idea, so I am nominating her for a spot in the wife HoF for this. She'll probably end up playing just as much if not more than me, so it all works out.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #196
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
compare the first version to BtS 3.19.
I purchased yesterday, played with the tutorial last night, and will start a game tonight, but this is my overarching thought before having really touched it. I'm fully expecting a solid game now, and an amazing game once the patches and expansions are out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Found the intro video to be especially well done... Very classy and sets the mood nicely!
Is there a way to stop it immediately, though? Once I've seen it once, I don't need to see the whole thing again. Escape didn't seem to do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisbo View Post
I guess I'm in the minority on this point, but I'm not yet sold on the ability of land units to move across the water without transports - I thought the logistical problems of moving invading forces over bodies of water added some depth.
Haven't played yet, but I'm thinking the same thing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
See above. I'll play it and enjoy it for what it is for now, but the final version of Civ IV will probably remain on my machine (and get played) until at least the first patch. I just finished a very long Civ IV game on Monday, as a matter of fact.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #197
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

Is there a way to stop it immediately, though? Once I've seen it once, I don't need to see the whole thing again. Escape didn't seem to do anything.

Seems you have to let it play for a few seconds. I find hitting some combination of Escape, Enter and my left mouse button eventually stops it. Some form of the game must be loading in the background or something at the beginning when I can't stop it. So maybe the slower your machine, the longer it takes before you can interrupt it possibly. usually I can stop the video after 5-7 seconds though

Old 09-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #198
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:

I had the same problem. I kept banging on esc, enter, and anything else I could think of and eventually it stopped, so it is possible to skip it.

I'm only about 2 hours into my first game and I don't have a full impression yet. I have noticed that standard on V feels a lot like marathon on IV.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #199
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone else order from Amazon?

I have a bonus code for "Cradle of Civilzation Map Pack"

Anyone know what that is? My game hasn't arrived yet.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #200
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I purchased yesterday, played with the tutorial last night, and will start a game tonight, but this is my overarching thought before having really touched it. I'm fully expecting a solid game now, and an amazing game once the patches and expansions are out.

Haven't played yet, but I'm thinking the same thing here.

See above. I'll play it and enjoy it for what it is for now, but the final version of Civ IV will probably remain on my machine (and get played) until at least the first patch. I just finished a very long Civ IV game on Monday, as a matter of fact.

Ben,

For those of you who are interested in disabling the intro video here are some instructions:

Navigate to My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/
Look for the file "Usersettings.ini" and open it in a text editor like Notepad
Search for the variable "SkipIntroVideo = 0"
Change the 0 to 1

Enjoy