No i meant BOTH. But thanks for showing up Fanboy

sorry about that
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 11:02 PM   #152
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by SlapBone
To say that FOF2004 is without issues is a complete farce (unless you see no problem with substituting some other team's players into your plays).

And exactly who said this?

Last edited by sabotai : 11-27-2003 at 11:02 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 11:22 PM   #153
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Skippy promised me he'd stay away from controversy and from trolling if I let him return. His posts in this thread concerned me. The post in the FOF bug thread put it over the top. If he wants to come back to FOFC, he can come talk to me in June or so...
Old 11-27-2003, 11:25 PM   #154
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
And exactly who said this?

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
You're not the only one, any time you use the view button when calling plays the players listed in the drop down are wrong.

Check the other threads. Specifically, the one that talks about problems post-patch for FOF.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:28 PM   #155
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfc22
Check the other threads. Specifically, the one that talks about problems post-patch for FOF.
You...have....GOT....to be kidding me. One idiot made a sarcastic post in the post-patch thread saying that there are no bugs. If you think he was serious, I have some ocean-front land in Oklahoma to sell you.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:38 PM   #156
kingfc22
Head Coach

Whoa there buddy. I wasn't attacking anybody nor was I talking about that moron skippy. Is there not a thread titled "Problems I'm still noticing after 5.0a"? In that thread lighthouse keeper and theherd mention that the drop down window for subs during plays brings up the wrong teams players.

BTW - I prefer my current view of the Pacific Ocean.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:39 PM   #157
sabotai
General Manager

kingfc....ummm...exactly my point? I was responding to someone who...

ah forget it. Read my other post again.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:39 PM   #158
SlapBone
High School JV

You missed my point SkyDog. I was really just saying that all of these games have a few bugs. Too much data not to.

The reason I said that (that FOF was bug-free) was not because of anything that skip said but because this thread changed from "TPB ripped off my HTML" to "TPB totally sux because of its bugs" thread.

I like all of these games. Frankly, I know nothing of skippy or his history.

Someone lock this thread. We are falling into a vortex of confusion.

Last edited by SlapBone : 11-27-2003 at 11:42 PM.
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 11:56 PM   #159
sabotai
General Manager

vortex....cortex....cortez....

THE SPANISH ARE COMING!
Old 11-28-2003, 12:04 AM   #160
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Of course they're not.. because if you're expecting the Spanish Inquisition, it won't happen. Why?

Because NOONE Expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Old 11-28-2003, 08:40 AM   #161
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

Some individuals seem to think that FOF 2004 is without Game Stopping Bugs and that other certain sport sims are chalk full of them. Three Game Stopping Bugs that do seem to exist in FOF 2004 really need to be addressed before the game can uphold the long-standing reputation that Jim has for creating a solid sim. It may help if another thread was started with the sole purpose of tracking the remaining bugs in the initial post just as was done when the game was first released. Hint hint SkyDog…

1. End of Game Logic. This seems to be a very broad issue but regardless it needs to be refined so that there are less OT or at least more intelligent play calling by both teams.

2. When calling your own plays, if you have a guy playing out position (like a RB at WR) due to injuries or whatever, clicking on View causes the game to crash.

3. When play calling after the first season clicking on the View button shows players from a different team.

Last edited by FloridaFringe : 11-28-2003 at 08:41 AM.
FloridaFringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 08:46 AM   #162
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by FloridaFringe
It may help if another thread was started with the sole purpose of tracking the remaining bugs in the initial post just as was done when the game was first released.
1. There already is such a thread.
2. For those who don't call their own plays, those aren't even remotely show-stopping bugs. I've played a serious career for 16 seasons, and have run multiple test careers of 30+ seasons, and I would have been completely unaware of any of those three bugs apart from others telling me about them. I would define a "show-stopping bug" as one that makes the game unplayable for the vast majority of people. Surely you don't suggest that is the case for those three bugs.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-28-2003 at 08:50 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 08:53 AM   #163
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

1. Where is the other thread that tracks all of the bugs that people are reporting in one organized post? Potential owners of the game don’t want to search through several threads or even several posts of discussions to see what remains on the overall bug list. One concise post would sever many of us, including Jim, rather well.

2. A lot of people do call their own plays and therefore this would be a serious issue for them. So as it stands FOF 2004 may only be suited for people that don't call their own plays?

3. If you don't call your own plays then you would be subject to having the coach call some stupid idiot play at the end of the game that could cost you the win. Great choice.

Dealing with the issues by ignoring them is definitely an option. However, I for one would like to see these resolved sooner rather than later. My point is two-fold. First of all, FOF 2004 does still have some serious bugs even after a patch. Secondly, as soon as the next patch fixes these problems I will be getting both FOF 2004 and TCY. So my main point is, hurry up already.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:57 AM   #164
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
I would define a "show-stopping bug" as one that makes the game unplayable for the vast majority of people. Surely you don't suggest that is the case for those three bugs.

Your definition of a Show-Stopping Bug is a bit more liberal than mine since I take a more personal approach to the matter. A Show-Stopping Bug in any game is one that makes me not want to play it as it stands without correction first.

Also, the first bug listed has nothing to do with calling your own plays and seems to affect everyone just the same. I pretty much consider everyone to be a vast majority. Unless you can safely say that this bug has never plagued you.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:57 AM   #165
druez
Banned

Umm skydog any bug that crashes a game is a show stopping bug.
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 09:08 AM   #166
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by druez
Umm skydog any bug that crashes a game is a show stopping bug.
1. Nahhh. For example, the TCY import bug wasn't a show stopper. The game was still very playable.
2. By that definition, FOF2001/2 still has show stopping bugs. The display issues cause crashes all the time in that game, to the point where I am still in the habit of saving after every single game I sim.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-28-2003 at 09:09 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 09:17 AM   #167
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Your definition of a Show-Stopping Bug is a bit more liberal than mine since I take a more personal approach to the matter. A Show-Stopping Bug in any game is one that makes me not want to play it as it stands without correction first.

EXACTLY. I didn't purchase the game at release because of the TCY import crashing. Now, with the playcalling bug, I'm a little miffed I bought the game so soon. As it stands, it will sit as a little cute icon on my desktop as I play TCY.

Just because someone doesn't use "X" feature doesn't mean it's not show-stopping for someone else.

Having said that, I'm pretty confident Jim will fix these issues, my question is..... when?

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 11-28-2003 at 09:18 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 09:26 AM   #168
Easy Mac

ONCE AND FOR ALL. IN THE PLAYCALLING SCREEN, THEY ARE STILL YOUR PLAYERS! THEY STILL HAVE THE SAME NUMBER, ARE IN THE SAME ORDER, AND HAVE THE SAME ATTRIBUTES. IF YOU PUT THEM IN, THE STATS GO TO THE CORRECT PLAYER. ONLY THE NAMES HAVE CHANGED. THINK DRAGNET.

AND IS MARSHALL FAULK A WR? NO, ITS NOT REALLY A PROBLEM, SINCE RB's RARELY LINE UP AT WR and VICE VERSA.

I wouldn't say the end of game logic is a bug. It would be a bug if no matter your setting, a player threw on every down all game. I think it is a tweak that needs to be made, b/c there are occassions where my players actually have kicked FG's at the end of the game to win. (and I reported the damn tweak, so hopefully this will let it rest.)

Sorry for the caps, but I've posted this all before, but it seems people don't actually like to read.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 09:29 AM   #169
Ben E Lou

Quote:
1. Where is the other thread that tracks all of the bugs that people are reporting in one organized post? Potential owners of the game don’t want to search through several threads or even several posts of discussions to see what remains on the overall bug list. One concise post would sever many of us, including Jim, rather well.

2. A lot of people do call their own plays and therefore this would be a serious issue for them. So as it stands FOF 2004 may only be suited for people that don't call their own plays?

3. If you don't call your own plays then you would be subject to having the coach call some stupid idiot play at the end of the game that could cost you the win. Great choice.

Dealing with the issues by ignoring them is definitely an option. However, I for one would like to see these resolved sooner rather than later. My point is two-fold. First of all, FOF 2004 does still have some serious bugs even after a patch. Secondly, as soon as the next patch fixes these problems I will be getting both FOF 2004 and TCY. So my main point is, hurry up already.
1. I think ramzavail started it maybe? It is the thread that skippy managed to get himself back in the penalty box.

2. Maybe. I'm not an overall expert nor a beta tester. All I can tell you is that for the way I play, FOF2004 is as close to a flawless game as I've ever played.

3a. From what I understand, there is still some debate as to whether or not there is a bug with late game playcalling, or if there is a probability, based on how good your coach is at playcalling, that he will do something stupid to blow the game. I don't read many game logs, but I just looked at the close games I had in my most recent season, clearly it isn't always done poorly:
Quote:
4-02-BUF41 (01:37) ATL 17 Meadows punted 41 yards from the BUF41. Touchback.

Possession to Buffalo.

1-10-BUF20 (01:30) BUF 18 DeBastiani sacked by ATL 98 Tanner for a loss of 5 yards.
Sack allowed by BUF 78 Lindell.
Ball was fumbled and recovered by BUF 78 Lindell for 0 yards to the BUF15.

2-15-BUF15 (01:13) BUF 18 DeBastiani pass completed to 87 Scanga for 11 yards.
Tackled by ATL 22 Washington.
BUF called time out.

3-04-BUF26 (01:03) BUF 18 DeBastiani pass completed to 80 Smith for 23 yards.
Tackled by ATL 55 Linquist.
--
1-10-BUF49 (00:45) BUF 18 DeBastiani spiked the ball to stop the clock.

2-10-BUF49 (00:42) BUF 18 DeBastiani pass completed to 88 Godfrey for 15 yards.
Tackled by ATL 55 Linquist, assisted by ATL 22 Washington.
--
1-10-ATL36 (00:25) BUF 18 DeBastiani spiked the ball to stop the clock.

2-10-ATL36 (00:20) BUF 18 DeBastiani pass completed to 83 Blubaum for 33 yards.
Tackled by ATL 33 Wilt.

Game MVP: ATL 84 Ryan Lara
That's a classic. Buffalo, out of time outs, spikes the ball twice when needed, and completes a 33-yasrd pass down to my 3-yard line, but you figure with 12 or 13 seconds left after the tackle, they can't run down the field and spike the ball in time for the win.
Quote:
Possession to Atlanta.

1-10-ATL27 (03:02) ATL 3 Forbes pass fell incomplete, intended for 83 Grier.
ARI 97 Vanderkellen hurried the quarterback into a bad throw.
Penalty: ATL - Offensive Holding.

1-20-ATL17 (02:51) ATL 34 Cooper ran inside the left guard for 5 yards.
Tackled by ARI 49 Levine.
Key block delivered by ATL 23 Van Pelt.
ARI called time out.

2-15-ATL22 (02:43) ATL 23 Van Pelt ran inside the right guard for 2 yards.
Tackled by ARI 90 Wertlieb, assisted by ARI 54 Fortin.
ARI called time out.

3-13-ATL24 (02:34) ATL 3 Forbes pass completed to 23 Van Pelt for 15 yards.
Tackled by ARI 54 Fortin.
ARI called time out.
--
1-10-ATL39 (02:26) ATL 23 Van Pelt ran inside the right tackle for 1 yard.
Tackled by ARI 24 Nelson.
Offical time out for the two-minute warning.

2-09-ATL40 (02:00) ATL 3 Forbes pass fell incomplete, intended for 83 Grier.
ARI 92 Parmalee hurried the quarterback into a bad throw.

3-09-ATL40 (01:51) ATL 37 Dunn ran inside the left guard for -1 yards.
Tackled by ARI 97 Vanderkellen.

4-10-ATL39 (01:06) ATL 17 Meadows punted 49 yards from the ATL39.
ARI 24 Nelson returned the ball 0 yards to the ARI12. Tackled by ATL 33 Wilt.

Possession to Arizona.

1-10-ARI12 (00:55) ARI 12 Bower pass fell incomplete, intended for 86 Whitehurst.
ATL 33 Wilt defended the pass.

2-10-ARI12 (00:42) ARI 12 Bower sacked by ATL 94 Dewit for a loss of 11 yards.
Sack allowed by ARI 68 Crisp.

3-21-ARI01 (00:26) ARI 12 Bower spiked the ball to stop the clock.

4-21-ARI01 (00:22) ARI 12 Bower pass completed to 87 Blaylock for 23 yards.
Tackled by ATL 36 Maxie.
--
1-10-ARI24 (00:05) ARI 12 Bower sacked by ATL 98 Tanner for a loss of 5 yards.
Sack allowed by ARI 51 Ross.

Game MVP: ATL 23 Marvin Van Pelt
Arizona uses their three time outs successfully to try to get the ball back, and uses the spike to stop the clock on their desparation drive. I didn't pick these out because the AI looked pretty solid. They were just the first two I looked at. Point being, clearly it does things pretty well sometimes. There could be more at work here than just a "bug."

3b. Poor late-game playcalling doesn't affect me that often anyway. I'm so good, my team's games are rarely close at the end anyway.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:02 AM   #170
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
ONCE AND FOR ALL. IN THE PLAYCALLING SCREEN, THEY ARE STILL YOUR PLAYERS! THEY STILL HAVE THE SAME NUMBER, ARE IN THE SAME ORDER, AND HAVE THE SAME ATTRIBUTES. IF YOU PUT THEM IN, THE STATS GO TO THE CORRECT PLAYER. ONLY THE NAMES HAVE CHANGED. THINK DRAGNET.

AND IS MARSHALL FAULK A WR? NO, ITS NOT REALLY A PROBLEM, SINCE RB's RARELY LINE UP AT WR and VICE VERSA.

I wouldn't say the end of game logic is a bug. It would be a bug if no matter your setting, a player threw on every down all game. I think it is a tweak that needs to be made, b/c there are occassions where my players actually have kicked FG's at the end of the game to win. (and I reported the damn tweak, so hopefully this will let it rest.)

Sorry for the caps, but I've posted this all before, but it seems people don't actually like to read.

This is what I was talking about in regards to having too many places where bugs are discussed. If there were an all-inclusive thread with information pertaining to each bug in the initial post then we wouldn't miss someone’s insight and then get yelled at for it.

BTW, just because we didn't see your post doesn't mean that we don't like to read.

This would solve the issues of the wrong players and the crash using the view button as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the info on the end of game logic SkyDog. It would appear as if this may need to be tweaked but may not necessarily be a Game-Stopper in my book any longer.

I'll just have to have faith that all will work out well in this respect.

The only remaining issue for me is the TCY to FOF import function. Is this bugged or is it working properly?
Old 11-28-2003, 10:09 AM   #171
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

This is the thread that I was referring to that would go a long way towards helping to organized the remaining issues:

Link

Nothing beats that first post, which made it a lot easier to track where FOF stood at all times prior to the patch. It also helped in comparing what the patch addressed in relation to what was reported.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:13 AM   #172
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Jim fixed the import problem with the patch.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 10:16 AM   #173
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

That's what I had thought but wasn't sure since others have brought it up recently.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:18 AM   #174
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
The only remaining issue for me is the TCY to FOF import function. Is this bugged or is it working properly?

I personally haven't tested it, but OldGiants did run one and was pretty pleased I believe. The best TCY players were the best players entering the draft, in general. The kick holding thing could be a problem, but I really don't see it as a major one.

Thread link here:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...&highlight=TCY

Last edited by The_herd : 11-28-2003 at 10:20 AM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 10:20 AM   #175
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
That's what I had thought but wasn't sure since others have brought it up recently.

And, technically, it only affected WinXP users.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 10:29 AM   #176
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Ben yelled at me today as well. I feel your pain skippy.

eh, not really.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 04:34 PM   #177
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac

I don't want to think Dragnet, in fact I could never get into Dragnet. Also, I have yet to start my FOF 2004 career, so I can't speak on this personally.

If it's alright with you, I'll take correct names for $200.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 05:21 PM   #178
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mrskippy
Only thing open in town here today: a grocery store, a few drug stores (RiteAid, Walgreens type), Kmart (but not Wal-Mart or Target), gas stations, 7-Eleven, a few fast food joints (limited hours) and Denny's (duh!). Oh and the movie theater.

And hospitals and police stations and fire departments and any other public services and utilities. Airports. Answering Services. Bail Bondsmen. Off the top of my head.

Fuck. The world doesn't exactly stop for a holiday.

Not an opinion on the issue but just of this inane paragraph.