Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #151
Groundhog
Coordinator

Also, really hoping Cavs swing a deal for the #2. Would love to see Beal in a Cavs uniform next season. MKG is a fair consolation prize, but I think Beal is a better fit next to Irving - someone to stop the defenders hedging over to Irving on pick-and-rolls.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #152
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think my dream offseason is trade and get Beal, max out and get Hibbert, and either get Batum for 12m or make Portland match. I'm tired of all the losing. And we need to discard Boobie like the trash he is.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #153
Atocep
Coordinator

There's a rumor that Kevin Jones got a late first round promise. I think that's a bit of a stretch, but I'd love to see him get into a good situation.

I really think people are going a bit overboard on Damian Lillard. I don't think there's a PG in this draft that belongs in the top 15.

I also think Quincy Miller will be a better pro than Perry Jones.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #154
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rebounder/Effort guys like Jones usually translate pretty well into rotation players.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #155
Bad-example
College Starter

As much as the NBA is a completely fucked up hot mess, I'm still pretty curious what Jerry West and the Warriors can come up with.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #156
Groundhog
Coordinator

As far as guards not named Beal, I've never seen Lillard play (like many others), but yeah, from what I read, I'm sceptical he's a top-10 selection. I think I'd take a flyer on Austin Rivers over Lillard. I think Lillard and Rivers potentially have a higher ceiling than, say, Lamb, but I think Lamb is pretty much a sure-fire rotation guy, which isn't true for Rivers/Lillard, who IMO will boom or bust. I don't know much about Waiters but I'm always skeptical about guys I don't hear much about until the time leading up to the draft. His college production certainly doesn't match his draft stock - if he were a freshman, maybe.

For the SFs, I think the ranking right now would be MKG #1, Barnes #2, then there's a drop off. I really like MKG and on any team outside of Kentucky he would've had better numbers, but having said that, it's a concern that he ranked 7th on the team in terms of shot %. For a pick as high in the draft as he's going to go, I'm not sure that MKG will ever be "The Man". Barnes is not a guy I have a lot of confidence in, but I feel he's got a good chance to be a Carmelo-esque type scorer as an NBA player.

Around the middle of the draft I like Terrence Jones and Sullinger, and think both could log good minutes for the right teams as rookies. Royce White looks like a pretty interesting prospect too, with a versatile set of skills (...and versatile set of off-the-court issues).
Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #157
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
As much as the NBA is a completely fucked up hot mess, I'm still pretty curious what Jerry West and the Warriors can come up with.

If Bogut* and Curry can stay healthy for most of the year, the roster is certainly better balanced this season. Bogut-Lee is a good high/low option and should complement each other quite well, while having a more traditional PG/SG setup with Curry-Thompson will help on both ends of the court. Thompson showed glimpses and was, IIRC, one of the better rated spot-up shooters in the league as a rookie.

Best case, 7 or 8 seed. Worst case, business as usual.

* hey, an Aussie can dream...
Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #158
bhlloy
Coordinator

Lillard's comparison seems to be Mo Williams. That's scary enough to make me take Marshall or whoever else if you force me to choose a PG at gunpoint.

I think the kid out of Cal State Long Beach is pretty interesting. I can see him going in the first after Isiah Thomas Jr last year, somebody is going to take a chance on him and try and recreate the magic
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #159
Mota
College Benchwarmer

As a Raptors fan I'm pretty disenchanted with the NBA. Seeing Bosh leave to join a fabricated team was pretty sad, and they had nobody ready to step up and take his place.
Two years later they still have nobody on their team. I don't see any future stars being developed right now. Hopefully they will get someone good in the draft.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #160
DougW
High School Varsity

I think LeBron has to go first, then definitely Darko. After that, I think I'd go with Anthony and then Bosh. At #5, maybe DWade, but - he's only 6'4.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:09 AM   #161
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
I think LeBron has to go first, then definitely Darko. After that, I think I'd go with Anthony and then Bosh. At #5, maybe DWade, but - he's only 6'4.

I see what you did there.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #162
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
As a Raptors fan I'm pretty disenchanted with the NBA. Seeing Bosh leave to join a fabricated team was pretty sad, and they had nobody ready to step up and take his place.
Two years later they still have nobody on their team. I don't see any future stars being developed right now. Hopefully they will get someone good in the draft.

Yeah I'm with you. I don't even care for the draft, I don't have any faith in the team from top to bottom. I do not like Bargnani, and who else is there? DeRozan seemed to regress, Ed Davis is OK but not great, there's just a lack of talent.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #163
spleen1015
Coordinator

Nice. Bird is going to resign from the Pacers 2 days before the draft.

Let's see. The guy guided your team back from suckitude after there were a bunch of thugs on your team. You were the 3rd best team in the East last year because of the moves made by Bird. You decide to let him walk instead of giving him a 3 year deal?

Thanks Herb.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #164
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

deep thoughts-

the nba should adopt mls' dp rule where you can pay one player whatever the fuck you want and he only counts 15%(or whatever) against the cap.

i don't buy the beal/ray allen comparisons.

i wouldn't draft fab melo.

i would draft dion waiters and austin rivers. they're both irrational confidence guys.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #165
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Nice. Bird is going to resign from the Pacers 2 days before the draft.

Let's see. The guy guided your team back from suckitude after there were a bunch of thugs on your team. You were the 3rd best team in the East last year because of the moves made by Bird. You decide to let him walk instead of giving him a 3 year deal?

Thanks Herb.
executive of the year too. that sucks.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #166
Logan
Head Coach

Rockets trade Budinger to Minny for the 18th pick. That gives them #14, #16, and #18.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #167
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Rockets trade Budinger to Minny for the 18th pick. That gives them #14, #16, and #18.

I could have sworn that the Rockets were looking to offload one of their picks. Well, maybe they figure that they can also offload 2 picks for future considerations and figured they didn´t need Budinger anymore.

For the Twolves i think Budinger is better than anybody available at No18 and more proven, so that´s a solid trade. Sure he doesn´t solve their problems and doesn´t even fill a huge need (too slow laterally to really guard 2s and can´t create his own shot) but neither could have the 18th pick i guess.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #168
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
You decide to let him walk instead of giving him a 3 year deal?

Where did you get this from ? I was under the impression that it was Bird who didn´t want to commit to anything long term and was himself contemplating wether or not he´d be back during the regular season at times (and in a "i don´t know if i want to continue" way)

I´ve seen it suggested that it´s health related.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-26-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #169
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yeah, I was about to say, I'm hearing Bird's got health issues.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #170
Logan
Head Coach

The guy from Draftexpress.com broke the Budinger deal and says that Houston has offered Lowry, the #14, and the #16 to Sacramento for Tyreke Evans and the #5.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #171
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Looks like Sullinger has now moved down to mid-to-late 1st round steal territory. I don't know the details of his back issues and he's certainly not a "can't miss" prospect, but I think he'll be able to score around the basket in the NBA if he can stay healthy.

He uses his body well but he releases a lot of his shots from a low angle. I could see him being a Al Horford type if he could develop a decent midrange game.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #172
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I could have sworn that the Rockets were looking to offload one of their picks. Well, maybe they figure that they can also offload 2 picks for future considerations and figured they didn´t need Budinger anymore.

For the Twolves i think Budinger is better than anybody available at No18 and more proven, so that´s a solid trade. Sure he doesn´t solve their problems and doesn´t even fill a huge need (too slow laterally to really guard 2s and can´t create his own shot) but neither could have the 18th pick i guess.

Good way of looking at it. When I first heard about this I was like WTF? But you make a great point that hes probably better than anything they would get at 18 anyway.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #173
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The guy from Draftexpress.com broke the Budinger deal and says that Houston has offered Lowry, the #14, and the #16 to Sacramento for Tyreke Evans and the #5.

If true, I hope Sacramento laughed in Houston's face. That sounds like a "how about you give me $5 and I punch you in the face" type of trade offer.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 06-26-2012 at 10:58 AM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #174
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The Celtics are awarded a 2013 2nd round draft pick from Oklahoma City due to Jeff Green's health issues.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #175
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Where did you get this from ? I was under the impression that it was Bird who didn´t want to commit to anything long term and was himself contemplating wether or not he´d be back during the regular season at times (and in a "i don´t know if i want to continue" way)

I´ve seen it suggested that it´s health related.

About a week or so ago he was quoted as saying he wanted a three year deal and it was tough being year to year with just a handshake agreement. I thought it was odd because I'd always thought he was the one who didn't want a deal.

He'd also had some quotes implying that they needed to spend more money to make it to the next level (presumably to match Hibbert and go after Gordon or another scorer), he wasn't sure Herb was willing to do it, and he only wanted to stay if that commitment was there. Today he's saying they had no disagreement on how much to spend... but of course that's what he has to say now.

Not a great day for the Pacers, but shouldn't be a surprise either I guess. This is the same guy who quit as head coach at the end of a season in which he led the team to the finals and won coach of the year.

Last edited by Daimyo : 06-26-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #176
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
The Celtics are awarded a 2013 2nd round draft pick from Oklahoma City due to Jeff Green's health issues.

Haha, The NBA must have decided this one. This pick the Celtics will get will be around #55-60 so its very unlikely the Celtics would have taken this in a settlement if it was directly done with Oklahoma City.

Almost seems as if the NBA thought the Celtics dispute was a joke because getting that pick as compensations is pretty much a joke.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #177
Daimyo
College Starter

Weird too that Bird just completed a power play to get rid of Morway and replace him with Pritchard as GM. Why go through the trouble if you're just going to leave a few days later...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #178
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Weird too that Bird just completed a power play to get rid of Morway and replace him with Pritchard as GM. Why go through the trouble if you're just going to leave a few days later...

Maybe the owner asked him to do that before he left so he didn't have to?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #179
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
About a week or so ago he was quoted as saying he wanted a three year deal and it was tough being year to year with just a handshake agreement. I thought it was odd because I'd always thought he was the one who didn't want a deal.

He's in a year to year? What is it with owners who can get away with this?

The Clips asshole owner had Oshey on a frickin' month to month, which is why Oshey is GMing in Portland now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #180
rjolley
College Starter

Interesting trade rumor:

@Chris_Brousard: The Celtics have traded Rajon Rondo, the #21 and #22 picks to the Kings, in exchange for Tyrke Evans and the #5 pick, per league source.

Later, it was proven to be from a fake account.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #181
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Yeah I'm with you. I don't even care for the draft, I don't have any faith in the team from top to bottom. I do not like Bargnani, and who else is there? DeRozan seemed to regress, Ed Davis is OK but not great, there's just a lack of talent.

Then you think maybe they'll make a trade, but who do we have that someone wants? I think Calderon's deal is up at the end of the year so maybe, but his contract is like 9 mil and even though he sucks on defense he actually gets players involved unlike Bayless. Best case, draft waiters, move DeRozan to the 3, Big V provides a low post presence, calderon works to get every one involved. Amir and the other random guys provide energy off the bench and... probably still in the lottery. Hopefully Bargnani can continue his development because he was showing signs of life on both ends of the floor before he got hurt. Maybe Bargnani + Calderon + Picks & Blackmail to the Lakers for Gasol? Who knows at this point.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #182
whomario
Pro Starter

Pau is turning 32 this summer and is entering his 13th NBA season (+ plaiyng for spain all the time), you don´t start from scratch to built around a player like that at this point.

I mean, what´s the point ? You´d likely not be much better short term (i love Pau´s game, but no way can you surround him with a below average team and then suddenly have a winning team) and if things go right you still need 2 or 3 years to add pieces and then he´ll likely be on the downslide. Sure, with his skill set he can be a nice complimentary player until he´s 40, but still ...

Plus in your scenario you sent away one of the few reason that might make Pau content to play motivated in Toronto, having a buddy around to feed him the ball.

Right now i think you have to stick with Bargnani and hope for the best (him making a leap or lucking out and drafting a better player)

Last edited by whomario : 06-26-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #183
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

holy crap. minnesota might have an all white starting five.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #184
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
holy crap. minnesota might have an all white starting five.

britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #185
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Haha, The NBA must have decided this one. This pick the Celtics will get will be around #55-60 so its very unlikely the Celtics would have taken this in a settlement if it was directly done with Oklahoma City.

Almost seems as if the NBA thought the Celtics dispute was a joke because getting that pick as compensations is pretty much a joke.

Not that it completely matters, but I've read the pick is actually the Charlotte 2nd rounder from the Byron Mullens trade.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #186
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

How's that fucking Perkins trade look now Danny Ainge

::makes a note to break his kneecaps with a crowbar the next time i see him around town::
Old 06-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #187
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I don't know, you aren't stuck with Perkins on a shitty contract.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #188
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Most centers are very overpaid...Perkins is paid correctly IMO.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #189
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Soooo....not planning on shaving anytime soon, I guess.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #190
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
If true, I hope Sacramento laughed in Houston's face. That sounds like a "how about you give me $5 and I punch you in the face" type of trade offer.
I don't think it's that bad of a deal. Get a very good PG and two mid 1st rounders to add depth with.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #191
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was trying to think hypothetically what the Cavs could offer the Hornets for Davis, at least to make them pause before saying no.

I'm thinking Tristan Thompson, pick #4, Cavs #1 pick in 2014, Cavs #1 in 2016 pick #24, a heavily protected #1 from Sacto, best pick of Miami or LAL next year and a 2015 #1 from Miami.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #192
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't think it's that bad of a deal. Get a very good PG and two mid 1st rounders to add depth with.

Lowry does not have Tyreke's potential and is more expensive. Also, a lottery pick, especially in this draft, is worth much, much more than a mid round pick.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #193
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think Lowry makes about 6.5m for 3 more years, but Evans is like 4-5mil this year, then possibly will get 10-12m/year after that. Sacto has to make an Evans trade I think.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #194
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Lowry does not have Tyreke's potential and is more expensive. Also, a lottery pick, especially in this draft, is worth much, much more than a mid round pick.

Lowry is a much better player than Tyreke. And this seems to be a draft with 4 elite prospects and they're drafting 5th. I believe the rumor was also for the 14th and 16th picks which helps them round out their roster on the cheap. Lowry and Cousins is a nice base to work from.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #195
rjolley
College Starter

Bobcats trade Corey Maggette to the Pistons for Ben Gordon and a protected 1st round pick in 2013, according to ESPN.com.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #196
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Looks like Sullinger has now moved down to mid-to-late 1st round steal territory. I don't know the details of his back issues and he's certainly not a "can't miss" prospect, but I think he'll be able to score around the basket in the NBA if he can stay healthy.

I think he'll be a nice pickup in mid-range territory. He's got a lot to prove.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #197
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Bobcats trade Corey Maggette to the Pistons for Ben Gordon and a protected 1st round pick in 2013, according to ESPN.com.

That's an incredible deal for the Bobcats.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #198
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That's an incredible deal for the Bobcats.

Except that Ben Gordon has a 13.2M player option for '13/'14, while Maggette's contract is up at the end of this season. Wonder how well-protected the pick is?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #199
larrymcg421
Head Coach

LOL that Ben Gordon is making more than Rajon Rondo. Locking up Rondo for so cheap is probably the best move Ainge has made, and he doesn't even seem to realize it.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #200
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Except that Ben Gordon has a 13.2M player option for '13/'14, while Maggette's contract is up at the end of this season. Wonder how well-protected the pick is?

All lottery next year, top 8 in year 2, top 1 in year 3 and unprotected in year 4.

So, definitely won't see anything until 2014, possibly 2015.

Last edited by bronconick : 06-27-2012 at 12:26 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote