Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #151
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
So, there is going to be an update for this new iootp before there is even a release of ootp12...........clearly priorities have changed.

The update is a relatively minor one to fix a few release issues in the main and is being worked on by Sebastian who isn't a member of the OOTP PC/Mac team (so no I don't think priorities have changed - just hopefully that OOTP Development is growing).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #152
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
The update is a relatively minor one to fix a few release issues in the main and is being worked on by Sebastian who isn't a member of the OOTP PC/Mac team (so no I don't think priorities have changed - just hopefully that OOTP Development is growing).

Sorry, but there is a lot of stuff that says otherwise. OOTP12 has clearly taken a backseat to the ipad version.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #153
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Sorry, but there is a lot of stuff that says otherwise. OOTP12 has clearly taken a backseat to the ipad version.

And why shouldn't it? I mean, we've only paid six times as much and waited four months since preorders began. The irony is, Markus and company supposedly were giving away an iPad to a lucky person who preordered by February. Irony, in this case, being that the guy who won the iPad is the only one who can play OOTP so far this year.

Bah, doesn't matter. Last year just spoiled PC owners because the game came out in April instead of June like it usually does. Still somewhat galling to see the god damned Apple thread bumped every freaking day.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #154
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
And why shouldn't it? I mean, we've only paid six times as much and waited four months since preorders began. The irony is, Markus and company supposedly were giving away an iPad to a lucky person who preordered by February. Irony, in this case, being that the guy who won the iPad is the only one who can play OOTP so far this year.

Bah, doesn't matter. Last year just spoiled PC owners because the game came out in April instead of June like it usually does. Still somewhat galling to see the god damned Apple thread bumped every freaking day.

It sure does feel like some duping is going on.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #155
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
Anybody have a sense yet about gauging minor league player development? I've just begun a fictional career, and with no minor league stats I'm struggling with determining when to call youngsters up.

I don't get this at all. How are there no minor league stats? How ARE we supposed to judge development? Do the stars change over the course of a season, and that's supposed to tell us something? So basically, we've got to use the majors as the testing ground for whether a 4 star player is really a 4 star player? Isn't there a built-in scouting error, or are players what the ratings say they are?

I assume that without minor league stats, we won't get penalized for leaving a guy in the minors too long, right? Otherwise, we have to use the majors as the minor league proving ground for guys with talent. IRL, maybe a 21-year old 4 star prospect can handle the majors, and maybe he can't. That's what the minor league numbers are supposed to help us with.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-14-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #156
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't get this at all. How are there no minor league stats? How ARE we supposed to judge development? Do the stars change over the course of a season, and that's supposed to tell us something? So basically, we've got to use the majors as the testing ground for whether a 4 star player is really a 4 star player? Isn't there a built-in scouting error, or are players what the ratings say they are?

I assume that without minor league stats, we won't get penalized for leaving a guy in the minors too long, right? Otherwise, we have to use the majors as the minor league proving ground for guys with talent. IRL, maybe a 21-year old 4 star prospect can handle the majors, and maybe he can't. That's what the minor league numbers are supposed to help us with.

To be fair from what they have said they didn't just decide to not include them. From what they have said the IPhone just doesn't have enough RAM to simulate the minors yet.

But players attributes do change constantly. I just wait for a guy to look like he could be a part of my roster and then give him a shot. If he does well he sticks. If not he gets sent back down. It isn't ideal, but OOTP 11 couldn't have been made in 2000 either.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #157
Ksyrup

Huh. That just seems to be such a basic component of baseball that it's hard not to expect it.

Here's something else I noticed - when a pitching change is made during an inning, shouldn't the batting team have an opportunity to pinch-hit? What I'm seeing is strategic moves to bring in a LH or RH reliever, and then the AB immediately goes through with the hitter. Both sides should be given a "reset" of sorts after the pitching change is made.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #158
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Here's something else I noticed - when a pitching change is made during an inning, shouldn't the batting team have an opportunity to pinch-hit? What I'm seeing is strategic moves to bring in a LH or RH reliever, and then the AB immediately goes through with the hitter. Both sides should be given a "reset" of sorts after the pitching change is made.
Usually what happens is the manager waits for the hitter to be announced and then comes in to change pitchers. So, if it's a pinch hitting situation, teams sometimes have to go with a bad matchup pinch hitter or risk burning that player without an AB. If a pinch hitter is announced, then another pitcher comes in and that hitter is replaced - he ends up not be available for future pinch hits nor does he get an AB.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #159
Ksyrup

I'm not talking about a situation where I've already brought in a PH - I'm talking about a matchup against a guy in my starting lineup. Say my LH-hitting #6 hitter is up next, the computer pulls the RH pitcher for a LH reliever, and the game immediately goes into the AB against the LH hitter without giving me an opportunity to PH for him.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #160
Ksyrup

Basically, the pitching change and AB occur in the same sequence without a "reset" of the situation to allow the batting team an opportunity to counter the move.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #161
SegRat
High School Varsity

Having a hard time putting this game down. Playing a fictional league on my iPhone and the MLB season on my iPad. The Ito too al league I have not played any games, just sim each day look at the box score and move on. The iPad I play each game. I spent probably 5 hours playing on the iPad today. So much fun.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #162
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Ksyrup, got it now and that makes sense. You should have a chance to switch hitters if they bring in a reliever.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #163
SegRat
High School Varsity

First update is out.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:04 AM   #164
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Hey guys,

iOOTP version 1.0.1 is out now, finally.

The fixes:
- Improved stability on older devices (iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 2nd gen)
- Added manual save function to action menu in Manager Home, Manager Options, and Game Setup screen
- Tweaked major league roster set data (only with new created games)
- Fixed bug when substituting injured DH
- Fixed bug on trade screen that allowed a player to be inserted twice
- Various small bugfixes

Those of you who wrote a review of the game in the AppStore, please resubmit your review (simply click the "write a review" button, your old text will then appear). And those who gave the game just 1 star because of the sage game problems, please consider changing your mind

All the best,
Markus
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:40 AM   #165
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Basically, the pitching change and AB occur in the same sequence without a "reset" of the situation to allow the batting team an opportunity to counter the move.

No, that's not true. The pitcher is replaced before you select your offensive strategy, I have just tested & confirmed this. However, since the PbP text pops up after your selection, it makes the impression as if the pitcher was replaced after your selection... maybe we should add a little popup when a new player is inserted in the future. For now, simply keep an eye on the pitcher in the fild view before each AB.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #166
Ksyrup

OK, I see that. But yeah, a pop-up would be nice, because trying to remember to look at the pitcher's mound to make sure it's the same guy before I take an action is not exactly at the top of my list. I only see it when it pops up in the PBP.

Great game, though - having a lot of fun with it so far.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #167
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Those of you who wrote a review of the game in the AppStore, please resubmit your review (simply click the "write a review" button, your old text will then appear). And those who gave the game just 1 star because of the sage game problems, please consider changing your mind

I've re-reviewed ... these things are very important to developers on iTunes so I'd second Markus's appeal, if you're enjoying iOOTP then help ensure its successful ...

(apart from anything else I'd almost guarentee that other sim developers are watching iOOTP with interest to see if its worthwhile their considering moving their sims onto iOS ...)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #168
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm having fun with this game now that I can play it on my iPhone 3G. Thanks, Palli!

Three things I think maybe should be tweaked in the next patch:

1. The trading engine - currently I think the game doesn't value prospects enough: the Padres dealt top prospect Anthony Rizzo and Ryan Ludwick for 37 year old Johnny Damon just weeks into the season and the Red Sox dealt Jed Lowrie and a prospect pitcher for career backup catcher David Ross, whom they are now starting. Also, just for kicks, I offered the Royals scrub longman Justin Germano for top pitching prospect Danny Duffy and the computer agreed. Players like Rizzo and Duffy can be had in trades but not for the likes of Johnny Damon or Justin Germano.

2. The frequency of long term injuries - I'm seeing quite a few long term (think 6-8 months) injuries in the first couple of weeks in the season.

3. How quickly the computer managers pull their starters during blowout losses - This one might be tough to tweak since there's a certain human element to letting a starter take his lumps during a blowout in favor of saving your bullpen. That being said, the game shouldn't really pull a starter just 1.1 innings into an outing when he's only given up four runs. I mean it does happen but it kills a team's bullpen. Six or seven runs makes more sense to me in that situation.

I want to reiterate that I'm having a blast with this game. I'm trying to help make the game better and more realistic than it already is.

Last edited by samifan24 : 05-17-2011 at 08:05 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #169
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

I deliberately held off on rating the game until it was patched, and I'm glad I did. Easily a 5-star game for me, now.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #170
samifan24
Pro Starter

Well the first couple of weeks were going along smoothly on my iPhone 3G but now the game keeps crashing again during a series against the Orioles. I'm not doing anything different or out of the ordinary and I was able to circumvent one crash by simming the entire game. First the game crashed after I'd just finished playing out the same game twice and then it crashed after I simmed that game and went to play the next game out and it crashed mid-game. Anyone else seeing crashes again on older devices?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #171
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Since the patch I've had a couple crash-to-desktop episodes that occurred when "auto-playing" through multiple weeks in the offseason. I've not had any crashes during or after games, though. I have a 3GS.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #172
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Well the first couple of weeks were going along smoothly on my iPhone 3G but now the game keeps crashing again during a series against the Orioles. I'm not doing anything different or out of the ordinary and I was able to circumvent one crash by simming the entire game. First the game crashed after I'd just finished playing out the same game twice and then it crashed after I simmed that game and went to play the next game out and it crashed mid-game. Anyone else seeing crashes again on older devices?

I'm pretty sure that your device run out of available memory.

The biggest problem with old devices are the 128 MB memory. With the 1.0.1 update we did everything in our hands to improve the situation by adding manual saving, weekly auto-saves (on old devices) and backup of all saves.

I never had crashes on my iPhone 3G. What I do: reboot my device before I start iOOTP. Make sure that enough free disc space is available. I just play iOOTP (not listening to music or other stuff). Always save manually before I close the game.
Sebastian Palkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #173
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by palli View Post
I'm pretty sure that your device run out of available memory.

The biggest problem with old devices are the 128 MB memory. With the 1.0.1 update we did everything in our hands to improve the situation by adding manual saving, weekly auto-saves (on old devices) and backup of all saves.

Thanks, I appreciate the response and will reboot my phone before playing OOTP. It wasn't playable at all before the 1.0.1 update so I appreciate your efforts since I can now play the game with only an occasional hiccup.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #174
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

There is a bug with setting lineups. I get a funky lineup set for me and I always change it. So after I set vs. RHP I do RHP DH then LHP then LHP DH then everytime I go back to RHP there is someone missing and the order is messed up. Ditto for RHP DH. I then set those two again and they finally stay set.

Last edited by dubb93 : 05-18-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #175
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
There is a bug with setting lineups. I get a funky lineup set for me and I always change it. So after I set vs. RHP I do RHP DH then LHP then LHP DH then everytime I go back to RHP there is someone missing and the order is messed up. Ditto for RHP DH. I then set those two again and they finally stay set.

I've had that happen as well.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #176
SegRat
High School Varsity

Another update coming because MLB whined about the use of team nicknames! Fuck you MLB!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:07 AM   #177
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Congrats OOTP on being big enough to be noticed by MLB!!!

Hopefully the patch also includes a team nickname editor.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #178
SegRat
High School Varsity

Yes they said team editor will be included.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #179
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

Yes, you will be able to edit the Team City, Team Nickname and the Team Abbreviation.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #180
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Did you make sure the depth chart is set right? I've had issues where I set the lineup but a backup depth chart spot was blank and it messed with me.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #181
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Did you make sure the depth chart is set right? I've had issues where I set the lineup but a backup depth chart spot was blank and it messed with me.

I can check to make sure later but this isn't an isolated event on my end. It happens every single time I set my lineup. If it isn't happening to everyone else and isn't a bug I don't know what else to make of it since I reproduce it every time I get an injury or call someone up/send someone down and reset my chart and lineups.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #182
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

Quote:
I can check to make sure later but this isn't an isolated event on my end. It happens every single time I set my lineup. If it isn't happening to everyone else and isn't a bug I don't know what else to make of it since I reproduce it every time I get an injury or call someone up/send someone down and reset my chart and lineups.

I work on version 1.1.0 and will investigate tomorrow morning (it's late here in Germany ). I will report back.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #183
SegRat
High School Varsity

Hopefully you can add in some way of figuring out what prospects from your minor league team are ready to come up. It is very hard for me to figure which guys are ready and which are not.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #184
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
Hopefully you can add in some way of figuring out what prospects from your minor league team are ready to come up. It is very hard for me to figure which guys are ready and which are not.

Yes, this is one whopper of a hole in the game. Aside from just pure guessing or waiting for a guy's current ratings/stars to advance to some level you feel comfortable with, there is literally no way to figure out who should come up. And then you've got guys who are angry with their role in the minors - I've got a 19 year old who's angry, what am I supposed to do with him? Does that mean he's ready to come up, or that he expects to come up and I've just got to leave him there for his own good?

I'm really enjoying the game, but the lack of minor league stats or even some sort of suggestion from a "scout" as to whether the player is ready for a call-up makes that part of the game a head scratcher.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #185
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

The 1.2.0 update will most likely be centered around different history/report additions.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #186
Ksyrup

Not sure if this has been reported or mentioned, but I noticed today after looking through some box scores that the Left On Base stats are royally screwed up. Nearly every game, both teams are shown as having 18+ runners LOB, and a lot of times it's over 20. Not sure what is counted as LOB, but it appears to be picking up the guy on deck, the guy in the hole, and the bat boy. Most times, the LOB number is higher than the combined number of hits, walks, HBP, errors, etc., not even counting the runners who score (let alone those erased on DPs, etc.).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-20-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #187
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Small sample size alert:

Anybody having trouble getting stolen bases in their played out games?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #188
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

1.02 is out, just FYI.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #189
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Small sample size alert:

Anybody having trouble getting stolen bases in their played out games?

I'm 20 games in (all played) and I have Juan Pierre leading the league with 10 sbs. caught twice. so seems decent to me. others on my team are pretty accurate as well.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #190
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I'm 20 games in (all played) and I have Juan Pierre leading the league with 10 sbs. caught twice. so seems decent to me. others on my team are pretty accurate as well.

What are Pierre's relevant speed/stealing ratings? Who would you say is the best rated catcher that you've stolen a base off of? I have Michael Brantley, a 9-10, and I've never been successful with him, not even against Brayan Pena, a 4.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #191
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea, that was my question. I am well aware of the small sample size, just curious.

I am the Reds. Drew Stubs is 20-19 or so. Maybe 20-17or18. He's 2 for 5 or 6. Outside of that I have one guy with one stolen base. I've had maybe four other guys go a combined 0-6 or 7.

Only been four series though.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #192
samifan24
Pro Starter

Anyone else seeing a ton of walks issued by their entire pitching staff?
Old 05-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #193
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:

More than I would expect.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #194
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:

Same here. Just restarted a season with the Reds and my staff walked 9 and the Brewers walked 7 in one game.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:16 AM   #195
Sebastian Palkowski
Mascot

Quote:

Could you give me a few more details as I'm not able to reproduce it. Do you change the lineups manually or let the CPU set them?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #196
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by palli View Post
Could you give me a few more details as I'm not able to reproduce it. Do you change the lineups manually or let the CPU set them?

I still get the error. What I do is I have the CPU set the depth charts. Then I normally make a change or two somewhere. Like on my current team I swap third baseman against RHP and my RF against RHP and RH DH. Then I fill in the backup holes.

Then I go line ups and have the CPU set them up. Then I manually change the order as was said in the last post.

The beauty of technology is if you still can't reproduce it let me know an email addy and I can record the bug with my girlfriends iPhone and email it to you.

Last edited by dubb93 : 05-23-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #197
digamma
Torchbearer

Is there a screen where I can track my FA offers? I can't seem to find it if so.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #198
Jon
High School Varsity

I'm getting a lot of long term injuries......
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #199
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I still get the error. What I do is I have the CPU set the depth charts. Then I normally make a change or two somewhere. Like on my current team I swap third baseman against RHP and my RF against RHP and RH DH. Then I fill in the backup holes.

Then I go line ups and have the CPU set them up. Then I manually change the order as was said in the last post.

The beauty of technology is if you still can't reproduce it let me know an email addy and I can record the bug with my girlfriends iPhone and email it to you.

I do exactly the same thing, and have exactly the same problem. I've now gone through a cycle of about four consecutive attempts to get my lineup set, and each time I leave the lineup screen I go right back and find empty slots. Maddening.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #200
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
What are Pierre's relevant speed/stealing ratings? Who would you say is the best rated catcher that you've stolen a base off of? I have Michael Brantley, a 9-10, and I've never been successful with him, not even against Brayan Pena, a 4.

Pierre is a 10/10 (I only use 1-10 ratings) and highest rated catcher that I know for sure I've stolen off of is an 8, could of been higher other ones, but not noticed it. I definitely don't steal every opportunity, I try to pick my spots. I also have Gordan Beckham , Alexei Ramirez and Alex Rios. This is just a guesstimate but they are about 10/15 combined stealing bases, and I think Rios is a 7/7 and beckham and Ramirez are 6/7 6/6 or something like that. I haven't noticed any problems. I do try to steal more off guys rated 6 or lower on catcher arm, if a guy is 7 or higher I probably don't attempt it to often. It depends though.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 05-23-2011 at 02:20 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote