Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #151
MrBug708
Head Coach

According to Fox News, Kiffin is meeting with the players in the morning to explain the penalties.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #152
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
According to Fox News, Kiffin is meeting with the players in the morning to explain the penalties.

Are you sure the players won't be explaining the penalties to him?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #153
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Fair point.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #154
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The only time it's ever had any teeth, it's been fought tooth and nail but still seems to be sticking, at the moment. And that's when Bowden was forced to vacate FSU wins that probably cost him the career coaching wins record.

SI

Blessing in disguise for FSU fans. Bowden had no reason to keep fighting for his job once that happened. And there were plenty of people (outside of FSU) who didn't want to include his Stamford years as part of his victory total anyway. I wasn't too torn up about it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #155
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Are you sure the players won't be explaining the penalties to him?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #156
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Can't take credit for this but I got a kick out of it.

Apparently the USC defections have begun:

Old 06-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #157
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Then what is the violation? Considering FSU, Oklahoma and Alabama all got slaps on the wrist (2 of those programs were even on probation at the time). If the smoking gun isn't there a 2 year bowl ban and 20-30 scholarships isn't going to hold up.

That was a university issue that involved non-athletes as well as athletes. If Florida State had stonewalled the NCAA nothing would have happened to them. #Fact
Old 06-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #158
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Maybe he can get Al Davis to explain it to them with an overhead projector.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #159
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Then what is the violation? Considering FSU, Oklahoma and Alabama all got slaps on the wrist (2 of those programs were even on probation at the time). If the smoking gun isn't there a 2 year bowl ban and 20-30 scholarships isn't going to hold up.

Lack of institutional control?

That has actually been the crime for some of the NCAA's harshest penalties in recent years. Granted these are still small potatoes compared what we'd see in the late 80s and 90s, but that's the catch all.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #160
MrBug708
Head Coach

The great thing is that with the scholarship losses, Kiffin has taken 7 WR's and 3 QB's in the last two classes
Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #161
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
The great thing is that with the scholarship losses, Kiffin has taken 7 WR's and 3 QB's in the last two classes

what?? Mr great coach can't convert them all to OTs and LBs
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #162
DeToxRox
Head Coach

USC just got fucked. 2 year bowl ban, limited recruited contact and 10 schollies a year for three years.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #163
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm really upset here.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #164
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Also 4 years probation for USC. I wonder how Lane and Bebe will be able to get around that.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #165
Logan
Head Coach

That kind of punishment at a premier program must mean some bad shit went down.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #166
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lane Kiffin could turn out to be a great coach, but most fans (well everyone but USC fans) dont think Kiffin and O can go 4 years with probabtion. Thats more important then even a bowl ban
Old 06-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #167
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So over the next three years USC will basically sign 45 scholarship players. That is brutal.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #168
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
So over the next three years USC will basically sign 45 scholarship players. That is brutal.

They'll probably be able to spread them out over a few years.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #169
MrBug708
Head Coach

DanWetzel The 30 lost scholarships is an absolutely massive total. That's a behind the woodshed type punishment. Also, two year bowl ban

BryanDFischer USC Penalties: 4yr probation, vacate wins in bball in 09-10, 2yr bowl ban fball, w tennis vacate wins, fine of $5,000

BryanDFischer COI considered imposing TV bans but decided penalties were enough, decision was “a very tough call.”

BryanDFischer Failure of USC was to recognize warning signs, b proactive in monitoring, didn't follow through on things, found lack of instit. control

BryanDFischer OJ Mayo violations: received cash, electronic devices, services, meals, transportation and a TV

BryanDFischer Case centered on agent and amateurism violations involving student athlete 1: (Reggie Bush) and student athlete 2 (OJ Mayo)

BryanDFischer Reggie Bush violations: received a vehicle, rent free home for parents, airline tickets, hotel room, cash, limo, furniture, appliance.

USC will DEFINITELY appeal this. This thing is harsh.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #170
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I'm really upset here.

This was my initial reaction as well.

But, to be clear (and I think Poli is in the same boat), I have no malice towards USC. But I LOVE seeing this happen to Kiffin. It's part of why I said (I think I said it here) that the move made no sense for him in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #171
MrBug708
Head Coach

From ESPN

"The NCAA said its findings included "a lack of institutional control, impermissible inducements, extra benefits, exceeding coach staff limits, and unethical conduct by an assistant football coach.""

Im guessing the Dogfighter got busted
Old 06-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #172
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
DanWetzel The 30 lost scholarships is an absolutely massive total. That's a behind the woodshed type punishment. Also, two year bowl ban

BryanDFischer USC Penalties: 4yr probation, vacate wins in bball in 09-10, 2yr bowl ban fball, w tennis vacate wins, fine of $5,000

BryanDFischer COI considered imposing TV bans but decided penalties were enough, decision was “a very tough call.”

BryanDFischer Failure of USC was to recognize warning signs, b proactive in monitoring, didn't follow through on things, found lack of instit. control

BryanDFischer OJ Mayo violations: received cash, electronic devices, services, meals, transportation and a TV

BryanDFischer Case centered on agent and amateurism violations involving student athlete 1: (Reggie Bush) and student athlete 2 (OJ Mayo)

BryanDFischer Reggie Bush violations: received a vehicle, rent free home for parents, airline tickets, hotel room, cash, limo, furniture, appliance.

USC will DEFINITELY appeal this. This thing is harsh.

Tennis team seems to fit in the "which one of these things is not like the other" game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #173
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
They'll probably be able to spread them out over a few years.

I am not sure. I am not sure on Pac 10 rules but the NCAA says you can sign 25 kids a class. If these 30 schollies are over 3 years, I don't see how they can spread it out.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #174
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I am not sure. I am not sure on Pac 10 rules but the NCAA says you can sign 25 kids a class. If these 30 schollies are over 3 years, I don't see how they can spread it out.

I must have read it wrong. That is a harsh penalty.

Basketball, Tennis, and Football means that the NCAA gave them the modern day death penalty
Old 06-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #175
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I must have read it wrong. That is a harsh penalty.

Basketball, Tennis, and Football means that the NCAA gave them the modern day death penalty

I know all these recruits right now are sticking with USC (2011 kids) but give these other coaches a week to negative recruit and they will be singing new tunes.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #176
Swaggs
Coordinator

I have nothing against USC, but I am glad to see that Reggie Bush (provided the findings are true) will likely have to vacate his Heisman Trophy. It seems like the athletes and/or coaches often get off without much of a penalty, but having to turn over the Heisman Trophy and possibly have the BCS come in and remove the BCS trophy (taking it away from him and all of his teammates on a championship team) has to hurt him a lot.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #177
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I know all these recruits right now are sticking with USC (2011 kids) but give these other coaches a week to negative recruit and they will be singing new tunes.

30 scholies total, but loss of 10 off both the regular yearly 25 against the cap (75 instead of 85) for three years is going to HURT. Far closer to what set back Oklahoma for a decade than what happened to Bama.

And USC basketball also received another 1 year ban for basketball

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-10-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #178
MrBug708
Head Coach

So where does Seantrel end up?
Old 06-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #179
DeToxRox
Head Coach

One aspect that makes this even tougher for ND is now there is no room for error with kids. They are going to not have typical USC classes as it is, but still probably decent but even in those loaded classes they had busts. Cannot afford that at all now.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #180
DanGarion
Coordinator

GO UCLA!

Last edited by DanGarion : 06-10-2010 at 02:57 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #181
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh Dan
Old 06-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #182
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh Dan

I got a big blue truck now too, (a Ford and I've always been a Chevy guy) so maybe it's time to convert...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #183
Ksyrup

If it's any consolation, at least the scholarship restrictions will have ended by the time that 8th grader is ready for college...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #184
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Can the thread be edited to include Kiffin-hater chuckles as well?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #185
Ksyrup

Yeah, I'm not sure who's happier about this news - UCLA fans or Tennessee fans. Is their home-and-home series concluded? Would have been funny to see all the anti-USC/Kiffin stuff between both of the fan bases next year.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #186
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure who's happier about this news - UCLA fans or Tennessee fans. Is their home-and-home series concluded? Would have been funny to see all the anti-USC/Kiffin stuff between both of the fan bases next year.

The home and home is done, but the opportunity may still come: they'll probably be in the same conference by 2020.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #187
MrBug708
Head Coach

Another reason to question the assistant football coach's credibility in denying that he knew agency partner A is the fact that the two shared a close relationship with a mutual friend ("mutual friend"), a comedian and actor who has appeared in various roles in television and motion pictures. Agency partner A grew up with the mutual friend in the OC. The record in the case included a photograph of the assistant football coach together with agency partners A and B and the mutual friend.

Todd McNair, Rodney Guillory and....anyone have any guesses?

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-10-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #188
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Will Ferrell is my guess.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #189
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Will Ferrell was born and raised in Irvine, CA, right in the heart of the OC.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #190
MrBug708
Head Coach

Yes, I believe so
Old 06-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #191
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Just saw that USC's scholarship limits do not count for last year. So with their 19 scholarships last year, you add, 15, 15, 15 for the next 3 years. That's actually a huge point in this.

If USC sues, it could possibly delay when the punishment will occur and if USC loses that lawsuit, they could very well sit their program back 5 years
Old 06-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #192
MrBug708
Head Coach

BC makes it official; released a statement a short time ago....in accordance with the NCAA findings, USC's 2005 BCS championship has been vacated.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #193
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
BC makes it official; released a statement a short time ago....in accordance with the NCAA findings, USC's 2005 BCS championship has been vacated.

BC?

Bowl Committee?

Old 06-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #194
MrBug708
Head Coach

BCS...sorry

Pete Carroll's response
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT7RvG_FpBY
Old 06-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #195
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
BCS...sorry

Pete Carroll's response
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT7RvG_FpBY

Congratulations Oklahoma?

Old 06-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #196
RainMaker
General Manager

What about Auburn?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #197
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What about Auburn?

Hard to reward the undefeated team that wasn't invited to the game over the team that was, and was also undefeated, prior to playing what turned out to be an ineligible USC team.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #198
Atocep
Coordinator

The speculation I had heard was that the title would be vacated and there would be no championship given out. No idea if the BCS has said otherwise today, though.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #199
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What about Auburn?

Well, Fox Sports Detroit did a replay of a 2000 High School hockey game that was suspended in the 3rd because of a nasty injury to a player a month or two ago, so I say we get the 2004 Auburn and Oklahoma teams to kickoff this year's college football season at the Rose Bowl (where said game would have occurred)

Minnesota wouldn't mind Peterson playing a meaningless exhibition, right?

bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #200
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hard to reward the undefeated team that wasn't invited to the game over the team that was, and was also undefeated, prior to playing what turned out to be an ineligible USC team.

Agreed, but it is also problematic to reward the team (OU) that lost in their bowl game over the team they should have played (Auburn) had USC been taken out of the equation instantaneously. But if you have to award one team now in the record books, then OU is the best bet I guess. Co Champs between OU and Auburn is better. But perhaps the best move is just having a *Title Vacated* next to the year.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote