Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #151
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I'm excited to see what Petersen can do with the talent UW brings in. Also, I am excited because I now see Kalani's name popping up for several positions but I do know he will definitely shoot for the BSU job.

Will he get it, I doubt it. He is a DC and not an OC and I don't know how he would build his staff. I do think BSU goes in house and keeps their OC and promotes from within.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #152
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
Would still like to see Wilcox and Tosh stay if at all possible. Then this would really be the best case scenario. I was looking but haven't seen anything about Wilcox to USC. They already have Pendergast and would have to buy him out as well as the 1m buyout on Wilcox.

This has probably been mentioned upthread but Wilcox was also DC for Peterson at Boise so combined with the 1 mil buyout I think Wilcox will probably stay unless offered an HC job elsewhere.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #153
RedKingGold
College Starter

On most days, the Peterson hiring would be a top news story. I nearly missed it with the hullaballoo about the World Cup draw, Kubiak's firing, and Cano's signing with Seattle.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #154
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
This has probably been mentioned upthread but Wilcox was also DC for Peterson at Boise so combined with the 1 mil buyout I think Wilcox will probably stay unless offered an HC job elsewhere.
It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. On the one hand, the buyout and the prior coaching connections between Petersen & Wilcox - not to mention having some continuity on the staff & with recruiting - would suggest it's a no-brainer for Petersen to keep Wilcox. On the other hand, I can see Petersen being a loyalist that would like to bring as much of his current staff with him.

I'm still shocked we got him - after all the noise he's made over the years about how he hates dealing with the media and isn't a big booster schmoozer, and all the other schools he's rejected, it's just a huge surprise that he accepted.

He's not a slam-dunk, but I'll be surprised if we're not winning 10+ games on a regular basis.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #155
MrBug708
Head Coach

As long as he isn't Hawkins or Koetter
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #156
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
As long as he isn't Hawkins or Koetter
Here's the thing about that comparison:

Koetter: .722 winning %
Hawkins: .828 winning %
Petersen: .885 winning %

Also, Petersen was the OC for Hawkins at BSU. Perhaps a big part of the reason Hawkins failed at Colorado is that he didn't have Petersen with him.

Like I said, he's not a slam-dunk. His transition from an also-ran conference to the Pac-12 - which now arguably has the best collection of head coaches in the country - will be interesting to watch and isn't a guaranteed success. He'll need to bump up his recruiting regardless of how good he's been at BSU in developing players.

But the combination of his player development with the talent upgrade Sark provided at the UW is an exciting combo for the next couple of seasons.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #157
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm interested to see how his recruiting goes and what type of staff he puts together. The first year or two is usually relatively easy for new coaches to recruit. It's year 3 and beyond that will tell us how well he's doing.

He's going to be under more pressure than he's ever been under as well. Locally there's already talk of National Championships and the expectations I'm hearing on the radio and from fans around here just aren't realistic.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #158
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He's going to be under more pressure than he's ever been under as well. Locally there's already talk of National Championships and the expectations I'm hearing on the radio and from fans around here just aren't realistic.
What would you consider realistic expectations?
Old 12-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #159
MrBug708
Head Coach

8 wins for the next two years
Old 12-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #160
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
8 wins for the next two years
That's at the low end.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #161
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm sure you feel that way
Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #162
MrBug708
Head Coach

Peterson won at Boise by finding academic risks at skill positions and on defense that couldn't qualify for Pac-12 schools. Boise accepts any player, and is hardly an elite academic institution.

Peterson, by recruiting like that, was able to have much better talent than the other WAC schools. No that the talent gap won't be so wide for him, we can finally see how he coaches over the course of a season, as opposed to a game or two a year against teams with similar or better talent.

Look at how Wittingham has fared since taking over at Utah? Same players he had while winning in a smaller conference and the switch over and he's been unable to sustain his previous success.

I think one measure of how well Petersen will do is being able to recruit Socal well. He's done it good enough in the past, but the key for most PAC-12 teams is to recruit California pretty hard.

Let the bidding war for Tosh commence!

The rumors of what USC was willing to pay Klemm were pretty impressive. Rumored to be 900,000. Now USC just gave UCLA a pretty good line of "USC wanted me to coach you guys" when recruiting OL.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #163
MrBug708
Head Coach

Wilcox to BSU, it's looking like.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #164
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The comparison to Whittingham doesn't make a lot of sense. Petersen isn't taking his Boise State team into the Pac-12, he's taking over Washington's roster which has plenty of talent, far more than he had at Boise.

You give rather little credit to his ability to develop 2-3 star talent into NFL players. Now we get to see what he does with high 3-star, 4-star and a few 5-star talents. With Washington's schedule next year, a 10-2 regular season is quite possible.

The questions about Petersen are longer term - how well can he recruit at the Pac-12 level, and does he adjust his talent search upward.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #165
MrBug708
Head Coach

I don't buy the.notion of improving 2-3 star players means success with better "talent" 4-5 stars will happen.

Part of the Utah analogy fits. Wittingham had the talent supply available to him and has been unable to adjust. He also had NFL players from 2-3 star kids, but that is unable to work. The more talent might be realive. You just told me he can turn unheralded kids into NFL players. Is UW stocked with HOF players?

UW fans, like USC and UCLA fans, love recruiting. What happens when he brings in quite a few 3 stars? Will there be worry?
Old 12-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #166
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
That's at the low end.
I agree. Gotta figure he'll go at least .500 each year and get to 12 wins in those first two years.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #167
Logan
Head Coach

Dave Clawson likely earned himself a nice job last night.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #168
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Utah's issues in the PAC have everything to due with depth. Whitt has yet to be able to build a team talent deep. Injuries happen and they get boned. They don't have a dearth of 3-4-5 * guys 2 to 3 deep at every spot.

Petersen going to UW is nothing like Whit. Petersen has the talent and the depth at UW to be successful and maintain it.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #169
MrBug708
Head Coach

My point about Witt was despite being in a major conference with a lot more access, he has been unable to recruit at a high level despite success in a smaller conference. I don't disagree that UW is a bigger program than Utah.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #170
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
What would you consider realistic expectations?

I don't think the talk of perennial national championship contender is realistic before he's coached a game at UW. Washington had a fantastic run from the late 70s through the early 90s, but it's still a school that has one 10 win season in 22 years. 10+ win seasons suddenly becoming the norm just doesn't seem realistic to me at this point. The team may get there, but it's asking a lot of a new coach.

I'm also not 100% sold on Petersen as a coach at the BCS level. At Boise, as Bug mentioned, he was able to take in a lot of questionable kids that other schools weren't willing to take a chance on. I don't think what he did at Boise (2010 report showed that Boise had 16 players with a criminal record) is going to fly at Washington. His recruiting is going to have to change and instead of going after players that most schools aren't going after he's now competing head to head with some of the best coaches in the country for recruits.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #171
mckerney
Coordinator

Auburn gave Gus Malzahn a raise, meaning he's gone from high school coach to top ten paid college coach in the span of 8 years. Not bad.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #172
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Dave Clawson likely earned himself a nice job last night.

I am pretty sure that is someone Wake's AD is talking to along with Pete Lembo. I hope Narduzzi is talked to as well. We will see.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #173
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
UW fans, like USC and UCLA fans, love recruiting. What happens when he brings in quite a few 3 stars? Will there be worry?
Sure there will. But if fans see the talent on hand developing nicely, that worry will be mitigated some.

Recruiting is my biggest worry with Petersen - can he adjust and adapt to the level of recruiting he'll need to do at the UW to be successful in the Pac-12?

But the next couple of years I think he's going to do very well. The roster has a lot of talent, and Petersen & co. have proven to be very good at developing their players. Beyond that obviously his own recruits will become a bigger part of the mix, and it will be interesting to see if he can adjust.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #174
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't think the talk of perennial national championship contender is realistic before he's coached a game at UW. Washington had a fantastic run from the late 70s through the early 90s, but it's still a school that has one 10 win season in 22 years. 10+ win seasons suddenly becoming the norm just doesn't seem realistic to me at this point. The team may get there, but it's asking a lot of a new coach.
Perennial NC contenders is certainly highly optimistic. I don't see that happening personally. But 10 win seasons? That is entirely possible, especially the next couple of years. He's taking over a pretty talented roster, and if his player development skills are as good as they appear from his time turning 2-3 star guys into NFL players at Boise State, and his X's & O's work out at the Pac-12 level (a lot is riding on his staff), I think a big run in 2014 & 2015 is entirely possible. And if that happens, recruiting will take care of itself.

Quote:
I'm also not 100% sold on Petersen as a coach at the BCS level. At Boise, as Bug mentioned, he was able to take in a lot of questionable kids that other schools weren't willing to take a chance on. I don't think what he did at Boise (2010 report showed that Boise had 16 players with a criminal record) is going to fly at Washington. His recruiting is going to have to change and instead of going after players that most schools aren't going after he's now competing head to head with some of the best coaches in the country for recruits.
Yes, recruiting is a big question mark. I suspect the 2014 UW class is going to be filled with a lot more 3 star kids and few of the 4 star guys the UW was targeting with Sark. Will he adapt? Retaining Tosh Lupoi should help.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #175
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Clawson? Srsly?

Let's just say I recall his one foray into a major conference and the notion of anyone giving him a shot beyond his current level as more than a little amusing.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #176
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Clawson? Srsly?

Let's just say I recall his one foray into a major conference and the notion of anyone giving him a shot beyond his current level as more than a little amusing.

I only know from what I've read up on him in the past week or so, but it seems like some think he was unfairly blamed for what happened in Tennessee by the pro-Fulmer crowd. Either way, he took a team that won two games a couple years back to winning the MAC. No small feat.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #177
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wyoming looking at Illinois State's head coach. Seems appropriate since they're basically a FCS program trying hard not to be.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #178
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I only know from what I've read up on him in the past week or so, but it seems like some think he was unfairly blamed for what happened in Tennessee by the pro-Fulmer crowd. Either way, he took a team that won two games a couple years back to winning the MAC. No small feat.

I was in the anti-Fulmer crowd but still put plenty of that situation on Clawson.
{shrug}
Old 12-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #179
bob
College Starter

Is auburn's oline really this good or is Missouri's dline this horrible?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #180
bob
College Starter

Actually both defenses are horrible
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #181
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wyoming is about to hire North Dakota State head coach Craig Bohl. In general, I hate them hiring an FCS coach, but..North Dakota State has success over FBS teams, he's a guy from the region so he might be very interested in staying in Laramie long-term and I prefer him over a guy like Tedford who there's no way he's going to stay if he does well.

So we'll see. If nothing else, he'll come cheaper than someone else would've come and I suspect that's why they went down a division to get someone.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #182
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Wyoming is about to hire North Dakota State head coach Craig Bohl. In general, I hate them hiring an FCS coach, but..North Dakota State has success over FBS teams, he's a guy from the region so he might be very interested in staying in Laramie long-term and I prefer him over a guy like Tedford who there's no way he's going to stay if he does well.

So we'll see. If nothing else, he'll come cheaper than someone else would've come and I suspect that's why they went down a division to get someone.

FUCK I just saw this!

Wyoming lands Bohl as new head coach - CBSSports.com

Quote:
Wyoming will announce North Dakota State's Craig Bohl Sunday as its new head coach, a source told CBS Sports.

I can't tell you how annoying it is that stuff like this comes out before the season is over. It would have been really nice if this could've waited until we won again, or were knocked out. His legacy in Fargo is cemented and will live on. I really hope we keep someone in there that can keep us in that winning mindset.

One would think that it could be a pretty good job for a lot of coaches out there.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #183
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
FUCK I just saw this!

Wyoming lands Bohl as new head coach - CBSSports.com

I can't tell you how annoying it is that stuff like this comes out before the season is over. It would have been really nice if this could've waited until we won again, or were knocked out. His legacy in Fargo is cemented and will live on. I really hope we keep someone in there that can keep us in that winning mindset.

One would think that it could be a pretty good job for a lot of coaches out there.

Wyoming just lost their President and have like 7 senior administrators who are not occupying jobs either. There was a report by a consultant that basically said Wyoming athletics are not really providing much value for what's being spent, the AD is on his 3rd football coach and 2nd basketball coach and that's a lot of buyouts in a place where money doesn't grow on trees.

So he had pressure to get this hire done. I suspect he knew who he wanted ahead of time, had done some feelers out there to see if there was interest knowing he firing Christensen and when he found his guy, went after him.

We've seen this before in Laramie with Joe Glenn who was massively popular, but who was older and whose offense really started to lag over time. Bohl's NDSU teams had an identity and I think that's what Wyoming needs desperately, so akin to what Petersen did with going to Washington and has more resources what he did at Boise State, the hope is that Bohl can a bigger version of what he did at NDSU in Laramie.

No one expects titles, but a team that can go to bowls other than the New Mexico Bowl or Las Vegas Bowl would be a huge boon.

I think Burman did a good job here with the hire, regardless how it works out. Bohl is a better choice than any of the other guys -- outside of Gilmore with the Raiders who I would've liked to have seen get the job since he's a former player at UW.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #184
PilotMan
Head Coach

The timing of this news really sucks. We are 3 wins away from a perfect season and 3rd straight national title. WTF?!?!?!?

Like Steam?

Old 12-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #185
PilotMan
Head Coach

And to think of how close I came to going to school in Laramie instead of Fargo. I even did the tour and registration, just decided against it in the end.

Like Steam?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #186
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
And to think of how close I came to going to school in Laramie instead of Fargo. I even did the tour and registration, just decided against it in the end.

Fargo is bigger than Laramie and Cheyenne together. I don't think you made the wrong choice.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #187
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
The timing of this news really sucks. We are 3 wins away from a perfect season and 3rd straight national title. WTF?!?!?!?

He'll still coach through the season, though, right? Do the FCS guys leave their teams like FBS teams do once they announce?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Under the circumstances that's kinda my reaction too and I don't even have a dog in the fight.

I'm reminded of that old saying about relationships: if they'll cheat with you then they'll cheat on you. If he has success at Wyoming, don't be shocked when he's making another move to greener pastures in a couple of years.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #189
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
He'll still coach through the season, though, right? Do the FCS guys leave their teams like FBS teams do once they announce?

It doesn't really matter that much either way. It'll still be a huge distraction.

Like Steam?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #190
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Fargo is bigger than Laramie and Cheyenne together. I don't think you made the wrong choice.

I planned to go there my Jr and Sr years and finish a degree in Astrophysics. However, math proved to be my undoing my sophomore year that career path fell by the wayside. I did like it there though. It would have been alright.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-07-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #191
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Under the circumstances that's kinda my reaction too and I don't even have a dog in the fight.

I'm reminded of that old saying about relationships: if they'll cheat with you then they'll cheat on you. If he has success at Wyoming, don't be shocked when he's making another move to greener pastures in a couple of years.

North Dakota State's Bohl will become Wyoming's next head coach : Wyoming

Wyoming hasn't had a coach worth a damn in a long time as in, someone who anyone else wanted, so if he wants to go there and fix things up and bolt at age 60 more power to him.

This is a very Petersen-like move. He doesn't really have to move outside of the region. Only FBS program in the Rocky Mountain West are Idaho, Wyoming, Boise State, Colorado and Colorado State. That's it. He wouldn't have wanted Idaho and he wasn't ever going to get any of those other three jobs.

So he had to strike while the iron is hot.

Quote:
Taylor said the current base salary of the contract is $206,503. The annual salary will be increased by a minimum of five percent per year effective July 1, 2013, contingent on performance evaluations.

The contract includes a 3 percent of gross home football regular season single-game and season ticket sales. There are also incentives for a Missouri Valley Football Conference Championship ($10,000), Football Championship Subdivision home ($5,000) and away ($2,500) playoff games, a FCS runner-up finish ($10,000) and a FCS championship ($15,000).

The contract includes provisions for the assistant coaches to receive compensation for a conference championship ($1,500), FCS home ($1,500) and away ($750) playoff games, a FCS runner-up finish ($1,500) and a FCS championship ($2,000). It also states the yearly budget for assistant coach salaries shall be in the top 10 percent of FCS football programs.

That's from the release last year when he signed an 8-year extension.

For perspective, Wyoming's recently fired coach was making a base of $190k but his total compensation was $1.2 million. If they offered Bohl a $1 million in total compensation -- and he's brought them two titles -- he probably had to realize he just wasn't going to get a chance like this again and if he waited, Wyoming would've gone on and found someone else.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #192
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Auburn gave Gus Malzahn a raise, meaning he's gone from high school coach to top ten paid college coach in the span of 8 years. Not bad.
And he's still underpaid.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #193
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
And he's still underpaid.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an NFL offer at some point.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #194
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:

Sounds like he's going to finish the season.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #195
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

And I did not know Wyoming paid their football coach that much. It's actually kind of embarrassing for Minnesota as that is about on par with how much Jerry Kill makes I think.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #196
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Sounds like he's going to finish the season.

Yup. Reports coming out he's coaching through the playoffs. No reason not to really.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-08-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #197
General Mike
Pro Starter

I'm back to no confidence in the Rutgers' Athletic department to do what needs to be done.

Edit: And Kyle Flood is coming back. Well that's that. Apathy has set in.

Last edited by General Mike : 12-08-2013 at 04:12 PM.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #198
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I'm back to no confidence in the Rutgers' Athletic department to do what needs to be done.

Sickened.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #199
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post

Really strange decision to keep him. With the move to the Big 10 next year his chances of keeping his job beyond next season appear to be slim. That makes it difficult to bring in new assistants and it gives other coaches ammo to recruit against Flood.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #200
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Really strange decision to keep him. With the move to the Big 10 next year his chances of keeping his job beyond next season appear to be slim. That makes it difficult to bring in new assistants and it gives other coaches ammo to recruit against Flood.

Of course, but this is Rutgers. If there was a book on small time thinking, someone in the Rutgers athletic department would have written it.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote