Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #151
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Congrats to Maty Mauk and the Tigers defense, fantastic game!

Agreed, it's funny how things change. Last year, Mizzou got no sympathy for getting beat while having more injured starters than any other team in the SEC. It's just that they weren't ready for the SEC. This year, they're playing much more like they have in past years under Pinkel despite having their best two players out yesterday and we're hearing excuses about the other teams. This tweet was pretty appropriate in that regard....

Quote:
Brad Edwards @JBradEdwards

After reading all the commentary, it seems most fans believe that every team, except their own, has beaten nobody.

Coach Henson deserves a ton of credit for the turnaround this year. He's simplified the offense while making the slight changes that were needed to create more positive plays. I've heard a ton of chatter that he's the heir apparent to Pinkel whenever he decides to move on. The administration and the alumni love the guy and he's done a great job at public functions as well.

This feels a lot like the year when we came one win short of going to a national championship. It's a lot of fun to watch. If MU keeps it rolling next week against South Carolina, we can start dreaming.

Edit: Just saw the tweet from Chris Fowler over at ESPN. Looks like South Carolina's loss cost Mizzou a College Gameday visit.

Quote:
Chris Fowler ✔ @cbfowler

We know Mizzou wants wanted us in COMO's ZOU. Tigers a good story. Had great time our last visit. But 2nd L by SoCar certainly a factor

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-20-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #152
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So is that the bloodiest day the top 25 has seen in a while? I mean 3, 6-9, 11, 15, 20 and 22 going down in the same day, and only three of those to other top 25 teams...I don't follow college football all that close, but that's as bad a day as I remember for upsets.

1-4 is going to be 'bama-Oregon-Florida State-Ohio State. It's 5-the rest where things get crazy. From a complete outsider's projection who doesn't know the first thing about it:

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Ohio State
5. Miami (FL)
6. Missouri
7. Stanford
8. Baylor
9. Clemson
10. LSU
11. Texas A&M
12. Louisville
13. Auburn
14. Texas Tech
15. Fresno State
16. UCLA
17. South Carolina
18. Oklahoma
19. Virginia Tech
20. Oklahoma State
21. Georgia
22. Northern Illinois
23. Wisconsin
24. Ole Miss
25. Arizona State
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #153
miami_fan
Coordinator

Don't Disrespect the Game!

Sports sensitivity is so cute. The winning team that is now complaining about the team that is losing keeping their starters in too long AND passing the ball.

Mike Leach, Washington State Cougars 'low class,' says Oregon Ducks' Nick Aliotti - ESPN
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #154
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Sports sensitivity is so cute. The winning team that is now complaining about the team that is losing keeping their starters in too long AND passing the ball.

I saw that earlier, just silly. Maybe silliness by both sides, but definitely absurd on the part of Oregon.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #155
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Florida State Seminoles, Baylor Bears, Missouri Tigers lead AP Top 25 makeover - ESPN
Old 10-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #156
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

FSU #2 in BCS.

2013 NCAA College Football Polls and Rankings for Week 9 - ESPN
Old 10-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #157
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Rum and Bug are so quiet
Old 10-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #158
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I wonder how many people would have bet the Iron Bowl would decide who goes to the SEC title game after watching last year's Iron Bowl.
I'm a bit surprised it happened this quickly (and there's still a good chance Auburn loses 1-2 more games before then), but Malzahn is such a huge upgrade over Chizik it's not a surprise Auburn is good again.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #159
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
And the other important side of the ranking... Northern Illinois and Fresno State are at 17/18, both ahead of Louisville and getting some solid numbers from the computers - bodes well for either to get that automatic BCS berth if they win out.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #160
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm a bit surprised it happened this quickly (and there's still a good chance Auburn loses 1-2 more games before then), but Malzahn is such a huge upgrade over Chizik it's not a surprise Auburn is good again.

I hate the fact that Malzahn went there. He's too good to not turn it around. The defense needs to get better, but he'll build an offense to give other teams fits.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #161
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Rum and Bug are so quiet

Nothing really to say. Not ready for primetime but was a winnable game

Last edited by MrBug708 : 10-21-2013 at 01:14 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #162
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
And the other important side of the ranking... Northern Illinois and Fresno State are at 17/18, both ahead of Louisville and getting some solid numbers from the computers - bodes well for either to get that automatic BCS berth if they win out.

The way "we've" played this year, I don't think NIU would be able to beat a top 30 team. The two wins on the road against the Big Ten is obviously a big deal for a MAC school.

Here's hoping we start beating teams up the way we should, I didn't get to make it down to Florida for last year's BCS game, I would love to get another opportunity this year.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #163
MacroGuru
Coordinator

What a shootout in Houston, our weakness was REALLY exposed (weak secondary due to us being down to 3rd and 4th string CBs, 2nd string FS).

Our QB threw for over 400 yards and 4 TDs, he ran for over 120 (Should have been close to 200, but 8 sacks for -66 hurt him there).

We also ran 115 plays

We won and turn around and Welcome Boise State on Friday!

Last edited by MacroGuru : 10-21-2013 at 09:20 AM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #164
MacroGuru
Coordinator

DOLA

One thing I will add, it was probably one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen and it went both ways, if that is the officiating in the AAC, then WOW they made the PAC refs look good.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #165
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Rum and Bug are so quiet

Yeah, what Bug said. Not sure what you want us to say. Stanford is great? Okay. Stanford is great. Go, you, you big stud.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #166
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
The way "we've" played this year, I don't think NIU would be able to beat a top 30 team. The two wins on the road against the Big Ten is obviously a big deal for a MAC school.

Here's hoping we start beating teams up the way we should, I didn't get to make it down to Florida for last year's BCS game, I would love to get another opportunity this year.

I agree, but unless you rate Kent State they really didn't beat a top 30 team last year either. I think the voters would punish them some for their poor showing vs. FSU last year, which is why that computer love is important. Path looks clear to get back to the BCS - win effectively 3 games (Toledo, Ball State, MAC title game - can't imagine UMass/Eastern/Western beating them), have Fresno State stumble, and their in. I'll be rooting for it, since that's 500k-$1 million extra in bowl revenue to UMass, and likely the difference between the football program being in the red vs. in the black.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #167
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Ohio State's Urban Meyer wants 2nd look at targeting rules and ejections - ESPN

Considering the hit in question, Meyer really has nothing to go on. You could even tell the player in question was rather happy with the hit.