Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 AM   #151
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Isiah has sexual harrasment charges against him that the team lost in court. Magic will always be linked with AIDS and Kobe will always have that footnote in his history. In 50 years when someone reads a biography of these great athletes, there will always be mention of these events.

I'm not saying that Tiger will have his career ruined at all by this. But I do think it's a mark that will always remain in his profile. Think about his image. It was perfect. His biggest flaw was that he'd get too competitive. Tiger Woods was perfect and now he's not.

Ty Cobb's life affects his legacy? Larry Bird's treatment of his daughter affect his? Michael Jordan's gambling exploits affect his? Babe Ruth's lifestyle affect his? Mickey Mantle? The only thing that gets mentioned is not the badness of his lifestyle as it pertains to morality, etc. but how it affected his career.

They're all things we talk about with these guys but it never factors into their legacies. 50 years from now this even will be nothing. Things fade over time...the only thing that will stand forever are the numbers.

Last edited by rowech : 12-01-2009 at 05:26 AM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 AM   #152
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerriuqs View Post
None of those things will taint their sports careers or legacies in the slightest. A footnote does not a taint make...

People's actions absolutely taint their careers.

Magic's HIV does not taint his career because its an illness. We don't generally hold getting sick against people.

Kobe's rape allegations are not a taint on his career because the general public opinion seems to have swung the way of his accuser having zero credibility.

But, Isiah's career is definitely tainted by his post playing actions. Not the sexual harrassment so much, but his becoming the "Brown Midas" (everything he touches turns to shit) has turned him from being beloved by NBA fans to being the laughingstock of the league.

Ray Lewis' career is definitely tainted by his participation in a murder.

Vick? Taint? Probably.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #153
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Magic's HIV does not taint his career because its an illness. We don't generally hold getting sick against people.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't he get the HIV because he slept with a woman who wasn't his wife who was infected?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #154
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't he get the HIV because he slept with a woman who wasn't his wife who was infected?
I thought he got Aids from all his Homosexual activity. And, one of those was with Isiah Thomas's brother.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #155
lerriuqs
High School Varsity

Quote:
People's actions absolutely taint their careers.

Kobe's rape allegations are not a taint on his career because the general public opinion seems to have swung the way of his accuser having zero credibility.

But, Isiah's career is definitely tainted by his post playing actions. Not the sexual harrassment so much, but his becoming the "Brown Midas" (everything he touches turns to shit) has turned him from being beloved by NBA fans to being the laughingstock of the league.

Vick? Taint? Probably.

The point being made was that a blemish in one's personal life will taint one's career. I disagree with the idea as history has proven this to be just the opposite in the majority of cases unless what was done was so severe you end up going to jail for it. Even then, it's no slamdunk. Even your situations bear this out for the most part.

Isiah's career isn't tainted by anything personal - which is the argument being made. He's tainted his career by staying in the professional limelight after playing and made his own bed.

As for Ray Lewis? I dunno - I think that whole situation has been swept under the rug - it happened 9 years ago and you never really hear it talked about.

As for Vick, yes his career is tainted - for now anyways. But he did do something to serious in his personal life and went to jail for it.
lerriuqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #156
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Not so fast, my friend. I rarely, if ever, think of the Ray Lewis' participation in a murder when I am watching him play football. The only time I even remember the incident is when people bring it up, which is pretty rare.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #157
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Not so fast, my friend. I rarely, if ever, think of the Ray Lewis' participation in a murder when I am watching him play football. The only time I even remember the incident is when people bring it up, which is pretty rare.

we bring it up all the time when i'm watching games. also the kobe=rapist thing and the vick-thing.

but those are all legal troubles and the idea behind bringing it up is anger that athletes get special treatment.

if a guy cheats on his wife i'm not about to bring it up, because it's not something that makes him any different than anybody else (other than the quality and amount of no-strings-attached pussy he's likely to come across).

IMO if he cheats on his wife and she beats on him or wrecks his shit...

a) he's getting what he deserves
b) she is the one whose reputation ought to be tarnished if he pursues legal action (which we know he won't)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #158
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ray Lewis didn't kill no motherfuckin' lion!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #159
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm on the other side. Once that happened I got pissed off at all the hype he continues to get and have never really liked him. Marvin Harrison's gun issues have certainly tainted his image in my mind. And Allen Iverson will always be a thug to me. These things definitely taint my view of the player, although I know I may well be in a small minority.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #160
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Woods will not participate in any other tournaments in 2009 and will return to action next year.

Source: TigerWoods.com: Tiger unable to play in Chevron World Challenge

Whatever is going on, he's taking time out to smooth things over.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #161
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I'm on the other side. Once that happened I got pissed off at all the hype he continues to get and have never really liked him. Marvin Harrison's gun issues have certainly tainted his image in my mind. And Allen Iverson will always be a thug to me. These things definitely taint my view of the player, although I know I may well be in a small minority.

I forgot about Harrison's gun-issue and Iverson's thugishness. And of course Plaxico if he ever returns.

And let's not forget Damon "weed wrapped in tinfoil" Stoudamire.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #162
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

I'm with you.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #163
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Ty Cobb's life affects his legacy? Larry Bird's treatment of his daughter affect his? Michael Jordan's gambling exploits affect his? Babe Ruth's lifestyle affect his? Mickey Mantle?

It's really only the last 10-15 years that we care so much about this stuff.

Larry Bird, in addition to the father issues, got into a drunken bar fight the night before an NBA finals game in the 80s. Nobody cared. It wasn't news.

Tiger Woods hits a fire hydrant and he gets 24-hour news coverage. It's a different world.

Last edited by molson : 12-01-2009 at 10:09 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #164
PilotMan
Head Coach

Great post there by Dark Cloud, G. R. E. A. T.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #165
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
I thought he got Aids from all his Homosexual activity. And, one of those was with Isiah Thomas's brother.

?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #166
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Its all I can think of when I see him play.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #167
lerriuqs
High School Varsity

Quote:
Its all I can think of when I see him play.

Based on the fact that he's still playing and it's rarely, if ever, talked about, I think you're in the minority then...

Last edited by lerriuqs : 12-01-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #168
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I really don't think the NFL wants it broadcasted...just like no one says Boo about what Vick did during an Eagles game.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #169
lerriuqs
High School Varsity

Quote:
I really don't think the NFL wants it broadcasted...just like no one says Boo about what Vick did during an Eagles game.

But people are still talking about what Vick did and will for a long time. Nobody talked about Ray Lewis for that long - it died down quickly as nothing happened with charges.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #170
spleen1015
Coordinator

The only one I think had an impact on their legacy is Magic getting HIV since it ended his career. Everyone else's problems have been pretty much forgotten, IMO.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #171
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerriuqs View Post
But people are still talking about what Vick did and will for a long time. Nobody talked about Ray Lewis for that long - it died down quickly as nothing happened with charges.

I don't disagree, I was responding more to the announcers/commentators bit, sorry.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #172
thesloppy
Pro Starter

thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #173
JediKooter
Coordinator

Haynesworth stomps on a players head and that's not talked about.

I can't remember who it was, but, they killed someone after they were drinking and decided to drive, that's not talked about.

Vick, what hasn't been said?

Ray Lewis, that's not talked about.

Ray Caruth, that's not talked about, but, he's in jail, so that may be a little different.

Really, other than showing the rest of the world that you are an idiot, I really don't care what you've done in your personal life. It's your personal life and you are the one that has to deal with consequences of your actions.

I think in todays, "We brought you the news first!!!!" environment, we get to hear more about these things than we did in the past. I don't care who broke the story first. Is it accurate or not? That's what I care about. Then move on, I don't need to hear it for the next 2 months.

Quite frankly, if Tiger Woods wants to try and keep this thing as private as possible, that's ok with me. I don't NEED to know what went on. I don't think he owes anyone an explaination either. Am I curious? Yes, but, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if I never find out.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #174
MikeVic
Head Coach

What did Larry Bird do?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #175
Radii
Head Coach

And here's what happens when you keep quiet and don't squash this shit yourself ASAP:

Tiger Woods -- New Woman Surfaces | TMZ.com

She's the one on the left.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #176
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Cheetah....rawr
Old 12-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #177
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
And here's what happens when you keep quiet and don't squash this shit yourself ASAP:

LOL

Sad thing is, it really won't matter to any significant degree as long as the proverbial live boy/dead girl isn't involved. As a nation we're pretty much morally bankrupt & nowhere is that more evident than when it comes to sports figures who could probably get away with the dead girl or live boy if they were big enough stars.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #178
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'd pick the one in the blue dress for sure.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #179
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Or in a drunken pinch even the boob job in the black dress.

But the animal print? Just damn.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #180
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

So you like the naughty girl look.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #181
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
So you like the naughty girl look.

She has a nice face and she's shorter. I think the other ones would be too tall for me. In summary, I find the blue dress one the sexiest.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #182
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I find the blue dress one the sexiest.

yeah. then i guess the black top if i had to. and then the other two...yech.

Although - the one on the right...she was on Tool Academy too I think (flipped past it a couple times what can i say), and when she's not all made-up like that she is probably the best-looking of all of them. definately has the "you could take me home to mom" look. but that makeup job...ugh
Old 12-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #183
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

People are apparently leaving comments on his site through the various articles but they're doing an effective job of weeding out what must be mounds of spammers.

TigerWoods.com: News: Article Comments

Funny, if you look on the bottom right the site is powered by MLB.com. That interactive media arm of theirs is raking in boatloads of cash.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #184
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

And our tabloid media friends at TMZ have announced the case is against Tiger, not his wife.

Florida Troopers Go After Tiger | TMZ.com

Quote:
Law enforcement sources tell TMZ the Florida Highway Patrol will move to have charges filed against Tiger Woods in connection with the accident last Friday.

We are told the FHP will announce the case is against Tiger -- not his wife. We do not know if the FHP will arrest Tiger or refer the case to prosecutors.

We know FHP was investigating whether Tiger was driving his SUV under the influence.

Tiger was drifting in and out of consciousness after the accident. As we first reported, his wife gave paramedics two bottles of prescription meds she says Tiger had taken though she did not know when. There was no evidence of alcohol.

The FHP is holding a news conference at 3:00 PM ET. We will livestream.

Read more: Florida Troopers Go After Tiger | TMZ.com
Old 12-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #185
Galaxy
Coordinator

Interesting article:

Rachel Uchitel & Tiger Woods: The Club Connection - BlackBook

Also, isn't it a problem when one of your partners, GM and the people in charge of building the product he was driving, questions how it happened?
Tiger Woods’ Crash: Not Adding Up « Glick Report

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-01-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #186
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Golf Channel clears things up:

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/shag-b...driving-34079/

Quote:
Sources close to the Florida Highway Patrol investigation into Tiger Woods’ car accident early last Friday have told GolfChannel.com that the world’s best player is going to be cited for careless driving and issued a ticket.

Florida Highway Patrol plans to hold a 3 p.m. ET press conference in Orlando, which can be seen live on Golf Channel, and the source confirmed the incident which occurred just outside Woods’ Isleworth home would not be pursued any further.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #187
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I can't remember who it was, but, they killed someone after they were drinking and decided to drive, that's not talked about.

Leonard Little, already brought up.

And as I said above, I remember most of those incidents. You added Haynesworth to the list, and I don't like him, either, thanks to "the incident".

Of course I still cringe whenever I hear Christian Laettner's name, but everyone keeps trying to tell me Kentucky was wacking on him all game so he was okay with his chest stomp.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #188
Galaxy
Coordinator

Tiger needs to fire his PR/lawyers and take a lesson from Letterman.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #189
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

TMZ is trying to make the story go longer, but failing. Tiger's really handled this well.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #190
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
if a guy cheats on his wife i'm not about to bring it up, because it's not something that makes him any different than anybody else
What????
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #191
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
What????

YOU HEARD HIM CHEATER!!

Old 12-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #192
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Yes, No, YES, no.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #193
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Golfer Tiger Woods will be cited for "careless driving" and faces a fine of up to $164, said Major Cindy Williams of the Florida Highway Patrol, who added that the investigation into his crash is over and police won't pursue criminal charges.

So, thee final score, Tiger 1, Tabloid Press and websites 0.. however I'm sure that the Tabloid press and web will be sniffing after him for months, trying to nail him, because he wouldn't play the game.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #194
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Golfer Tiger Woods will be cited for "careless driving" and faces a fine of up to $164, said Major Cindy Williams of the Florida Highway Patrol, who added that the investigation into his crash is over and police won't pursue criminal charges.

So, thee final score, Tiger and Shirley 1, Tabloid Press, websites, and Laverne 0.. however I'm sure that the Tabloid press and web will be sniffing after him for months, trying to nail him, because he wouldn't play the game.

Fixed.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #195
Galaxy
Coordinator

Did Tiger have an orgy in Boston or something? Our Mass. FOFCers are pretty passionate.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #196
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just glad to see the trashpress denied their "kill" so to speak.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #197
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:

Whereas I'd go Eh, YES, yes, Eh.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #198
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Whereas I'd go Eh, YES, yes, Eh.

Concur.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #199
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

In case you were confused, the Chinese make the events of that night clearer:

Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #200
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
In case you were confused, the Chinese make the events of that night clearer:

I didn't know Cadillac made an Escalade Astro. Terrific find, btw.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote