Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2006, 08:59 PM   #151
spleen1015
Coordinator

You are correct. I have to wait a few seconds.

Sorry for the confusion.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #152
Yossarian
High School Varsity

any chance we can rename the two AI Spleen1015's?
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:06 PM   #153
WVUFAN
College Starter

Runtheball has given me permission to take over one of the open civs. Any one in particular y'all would suggest I take over?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #154
Galaxy
Coordinator

Not to threadjack, but is the e-mail "multiplayer" version good?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:23 PM   #155
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
Runtheball has given me permission to take over one of the open civs. Any one in particular y'all would suggest I take over?

You could take over Egypt, and end the war. Or the Aztecs, and end that war, too.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:23 PM   #156
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Not to threadjack, but is the e-mail "multiplayer" version good?

Yeah, the PBEM works. It's slow, due to the nature of PBEM, but it's solid.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:02 AM   #157
WVUFAN
College Starter

There has been an overthrow of the current government of the Egyptian people. There is a new ruler.

The People of Egypt offer to end all hostilities toward the peoples of Mongolia and Arabia in exchange for the same.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:15 AM   #158
Runtheball
High School JV

Woohooo!
Well, actually, I was hoping that in a few hundred years, with Franklin's help, I might expand into the Egyptian lands. Oh well, welcome to the neighborhood.
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver
Runtheball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #159
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtheball
Woohooo!
Well, actually, I was hoping that in a few hundred years, with Franklin's help, I might expand into the Egyptian lands. Oh well, welcome to the neighborhood.

Who says that still can't happen?

Now we just need to smack down the Aztecs... And something tells me Germany is going to become a problem.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #160
Runtheball
High School JV

Does anyone even know where Germany is? The world looks pretty small from where I'm at.
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver
Old 07-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #161
Yossarian
High School Varsity

germany is on our continent.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:45 PM   #162
Franklinnoble
Banned

Anyone seen WVUFan around? His other two games have been offline for two days, and his turn timed out here...
Old 07-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #163
Yossarian
High School Varsity

I think this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
Starting now until tomorrow afternoon, the game will be down while I do some work on the systems here. Expect the game to be back up mid-day tomorrow. The progress of the game thus far has been saved.

Is still the case ('mid-day tomorrow' not withstanding)
Old 07-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #164
spleen1015
Coordinator

He mentioned he was working on his computer in his game's thread.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:02 AM   #165
Franklinnoble
Banned

My rush to Optics has paid off. The mighty Mongols (who probably never set foot on a boat in actual history) are the first to circumnavigate the globe.

Now we have a better chance of outrunning our bigger rivals.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #166
Runtheball
High School JV

Any objections to shortening the turn clock from 18 to 15 hours?
-- The Lawgiver
Old 07-20-2006, 09:52 AM   #167
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't have any.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #168
Yossarian
High School Varsity

go for it
Old 07-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #169
Franklinnoble
Banned

Yeah... more turns are better.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #170
Runtheball
High School JV

Well danged if I can find a way to change the time limit. Should be easy to do. I took down the game, reloaded pitboss, and thought that would allow me to change settings, but no. Did a search on Apolyton web site, couldn't find the answer there.

We may be stuck with an 18 hour limit. The good thing is, we rarely go past about 12 hours anyway (until this week).

WVUfan has not been taking his turns, so the game has kinda dragged lately. He's got alot of other stuff going on lately, so has asked me to put Egypt back on AI control until he can return. He says he should be back in a few days.

Everyone start pimping SimCiv so we can generate more interest. I've postponed the start of that game, but if there's significant interest I could start it next week. I'll set that one to a 12 hour turn clock.
-- The Lawgiver
Old 07-21-2006, 10:56 AM   #171
Franklinnoble
Banned

I wanna know what Yossarian's strategy is... he's kicking ass in this game.

What's with all the 1GPT "gifts" to Montezuma?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:28 PM   #172
Runtheball
High School JV

Sorry folks, but I had to reboot my computer, and the save file I made prior to the reboot didn't work. We will need to re-do the current turn.
-- The Lawgiver
Old 07-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #173
Runtheball
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
I wanna know what Yossarian's strategy is... he's kicking ass in this game.

What's with all the 1GPT "gifts" to Montezuma?

That's strange. Never heard of this before. How did you find out that he's doing this?
-- The Lawgiver
Old 07-21-2006, 01:03 PM   #174
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtheball
That's strange. Never heard of this before. How did you find out that he's doing this?

Diplomatic advisor screen shows all your ongoing trade arrangements with other players (doesn't show one-time deals, just stuff like "silks to montezuma for 1GPT).

Anyhow, he has three separate 1gpt deals to Montezuma, with nothing in return. Either he's paying him to do something, or it's some sort of diplomatic strategy.

My suspicion is that he's paying Montezuma to harass Sharon, keeping her from expanding north towards his territory while the Aztec threat exists to the south.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:14 PM   #175
Yossarian
High School Varsity

I say noooooottthhhiiinnggggggg

except that im afraid of the dark and suspect (wthout any real evidence) that multiple small gifts might impress the AI (and keep away 'the dark') more than one big gift.

But i'm kinda just guessing that

Plus, I'm not top of the game anyway - are you not second behind Frederick?
Old 07-21-2006, 02:38 PM   #176
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
I say noooooottthhhiiinnggggggg

except that im afraid of the dark and suspect (wthout any real evidence) that multiple small gifts might impress the AI (and keep away 'the dark') more than one big gift.

But i'm kinda just guessing that

Plus, I'm not top of the game anyway - are you not second behind Frederick?

You're at the top of the research ladder (well, except for maybe Frederick). I think my score is only higher because ... I have no idea why my score is higher, actually.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #177
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
You're at the top of the research ladder (well, except for maybe Frederick). I think my score is only higher because ... I have no idea why my score is higher, actually.

More troops, maybe?
Old 07-21-2006, 03:04 PM   #178
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
More troops, maybe?

I doubt it. I slashed military spending a little while ago because my initial land grab left my empire too expensive to manage. Maybe I get brownie points for my navigational prowess.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:09 PM   #179
Yossarian
High School Varsity

you're at top at least in part because you had your own island and have thus expanded much more than anyone else - you've got tonnes of cities compared to me. also, you had a bit spike jump. I'm guessing you met a lot of civs and got some badass trading or something...
Old 07-21-2006, 04:25 PM   #180
Franklinnoble
Banned

Maybe. Like I said, the expansion has been costly, as I don't really have the infrastructure to support all the cities I have now.

I've met just about everyone thanks to all the caravels I have cruising around, and I've made a few tech trades, but I still think you have a substantial edge with gunpowder right now.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #181
Yossarian
High School Varsity

I'm going to show all you americans my USA inspired 'foreign policy' :-p
Old 07-21-2006, 04:48 PM   #182
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
I'm going to show all you americans my USA inspired 'foreign policy' :-p

You're going to give a ton of aid to your less privileged neighbors?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:51 PM   #183
Yossarian
High School Varsity

good retort :-)
Old 07-21-2006, 07:24 PM   #184
Franklinnoble
Banned

And now Germany declares war on Sharon.

I would advise Yossarian and Spleen to take up arms against the Germans.

Look at the map of your continent, fellas. Germany is already the dominant force. There's no chance she can hold them off alone. Imagine what the map will look like if Russia becomes German territory.

Think you have a chance of stopping them after that happens?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:01 AM   #185
spleen1015
Coordinator

Yossarian, will you give me open borders?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #186
Yossarian
High School Varsity

Open borders granted.

I'm happy to join in a multinational anti german force but i'll need a decent number of turns to reinforce my own cities and create enough of an army to make it worthwhile. I'm thinking, realistically, like 10 turns or maybe even more.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:23 AM   #187
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Open borders granted.

I'm happy to join in a multinational anti german force but i'll need a decent number of turns to reinforce my own cities and create enough of an army to make it worthwhile. I'm thinking, realistically, like 10 turns or maybe even more.

It will take at least that long for me to invent and build the galleons to send troops from mongolia.

The sooner you declare war, the better. It will split Frederick's focus. In my experience, the AI doesn't fight on multiple fronts very well, anyway, and if your border cities already have musketmen, there is almost zero chance he'll be able to capture them right now.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #188
Yossarian
High School Varsity

my border cities (um.. ALL my cities) have warriors in them if anything. I have invented gunpowder... i dont' actualyl have any units. check the power graph.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #189
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
my border cities (um.. ALL my cities) have warriors in them if anything. I have invented gunpowder... i dont' actualyl have any units. check the power graph.

I have swordsman and axeman all over the place. I should have came after you!

Old 07-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #190
spleen1015
Coordinator

Tell Sharon:

"GANDHI TO THE RESCUE!"
Old 07-22-2006, 01:47 PM   #191
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

Umm... Sharon sees a musketman of yours parked right outside the barbarian city of Scythian.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #192
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Tell Sharon:

"GANDHI TO THE RESCUE!"

Awesome... thanks!

Ever seen "UHF"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHF
Next week, on U-62, he's back! And this time, he's mad.

Gandhi II!

No more Mr. Passive Resistance. He's out to kick some butt. This is one bad mother you don't want to mess with.

Old 07-22-2006, 04:56 PM   #193
Yossarian
High School Varsity

i'm not saying idon't have ANY units - but compare my power graph to sharons and everyone else without gunpowder - i'm roughly the same. I'm building gun dudes and i have two or three but in 3 or 4 of my 6 cities, i have a warrior, or skirmisher guarding them them so i'll help, but the first part of that is defending the homeland.

Looking at the power charts and 'score graph' it doesn't look like sharon's actually suffered any losses so i don't think we need to panic to be honest.

i'm all in favour of expandnig into german territory trust me.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:43 PM   #194
Franklinnoble
Banned

No, she hasn't suffered any losses (to Germany yet - Montezuma took out a horse archer), and nobody's panicking (it's just a game ). I'm just looking at the world map I have and particularly one of that continent, and Germany looks like a real threat. So, I'm just humbly asking for help. Sharon is doing everything she can - slave-rushing new units (costing population points), and generally fighting a really good defensive war at this point - but with two fronts to fight on, she can't take the battle to them.

I've just declared war on Germany. Best I can do at this point is use my caravels to pick off any galleys they have on the coast. I am researching Astronomy right now, and will move troops to the battle as soon as possible.

Last edited by Franklinnoble : 07-22-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #195
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have 9 swordsman I can spare heading that way.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:17 PM   #196
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
I have 9 swordsman I can spare heading that way.

Nice! That ought to get Frederick's attention.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:10 AM   #197
Runtheball
High School JV

Franklin, thanks for the trade offer. I think I blew the acceptance of it. I re-made the offer so hopefully you can accept it.

I have a great scientist now, and am only two turns away from having calendar, so that will help me to catch up a bit technologically. Right now I'm struggling to avoid bankruptcy while I rush to complete some markets. My economy is a mess after that long war with Egypt.

I wish I could offer some support to Sharon, but we're a very pathetic civ right now, and if WVUfan doesn't come back soon I still have Egypt to worry about. I'm also worried that if I can't convert the Americans with culture (a very real possibility it seems) then they'll soon attack as I'm much weaker than they are. Being sandwiched between two AI civs sucks!!!
-- The Lawgiver
Old 07-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #198
Franklinnoble
Banned

Fortunately, I don't think Washington is going to be much of a problem right away. I'd worry more about Egypt.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:59 PM   #199
Franklinnoble
Banned

Man, Yossarian... you're impossible to trade with, dude.

Sharon says you're "stingy mean"

Old 07-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #200
Yossarian
High School Varsity

ha ha ha funny

i keep trying to message you guys with alternative trades but i'm not sure if you're getting the text.

The tech that I have costs like 2000 beakers, drama and the other one you guys were offering cost like 500 each or something...

Just holding out for fair offers y'know :-)