Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
There's more here than in any state.

*cough* Texas *cough* *cough* Florida *cough*
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #152
DeToxRox
Head Coach

it is imposossible to grade UCLAS class with the new staff. Tressels first year at OSU his class wasn't even top 25. This time next year I am confident UCLA will have a top 15 class
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #153
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
UCLA will be fine.

Not if they keep losing their 4 star commits. The perception is going to hurt them in future recruiting this year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #154
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Not if they keep losing their 4 star commits. The perception is going to hurt them in future recruiting this year.

I do not buy that. Florida State keeps losing games and people go there. Ditto for Miami. Losing commits when there is a staff change is expected. Judgin them this year is hard to do when no kids know what they'll look like on the field.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #155
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I do not buy that. Florida State keeps losing games and people go there. Ditto for Miami. Losing commits when there is a staff change is expected. Judgin them this year is hard to do when no kids know what they'll look like on the field.

I can't believe I am agreeing with a UCLA fan especially in a year I want to hate them so much.

You are right, I think with the weasel, Chow and Walker this team will be a power in a couple of years. This season is definitely a rebuilding one, and losing your QB's and some OL before the season even starts is going to hurt.

Some of the recruits will look at the fact they don't want to deal with a program on the rise, they are tied into the "ME" generation where they want instant gratification. But there are those out there that are willing to take that challenge, take the responsibility of placing a program on their back and elevating it, helping it grow back into national prominence.

UCLA will be there again, I give them 2 years to sock USC in the mouth.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #156
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I can't believe I am agreeing with a UCLA fan especially in a year I want to hate them so much.

You are right, I think with the weasel, Chow and Walker this team will be a power in a couple of years. This season is definitely a rebuilding one, and losing your QB's and some OL before the season even starts is going to hurt.

Some of the recruits will look at the fact they don't want to deal with a program on the rise, they are tied into the "ME" generation where they want instant gratification. But there are those out there that are willing to take that challenge, take the responsibility of placing a program on their back and elevating it, helping it grow back into national prominence.

By no means am I a Bruins fan. Just someone who can s see that staff will be fine.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #157
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
By no means am I a Bruins fan. Just someone who can s see that staff will be fine.

Oh ok...sorry about that...
Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #158
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You are right, I think with the weasel, Chow and Walker.

There are more indications out there that Walker will be leaving after this year which is why I think they lost their latest 4 star recruit to ND. Losing 2 4 star's in a little over a week hurts. I think ND will return to status as a power to compete with USC before UCLA will be able to do so.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #159
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh ok...sorry about that...

Bleed maize and blue baby. I feel for UCLa though as the parallels between their football program and Michigans basketball program are similar.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #160
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't want to get into this argument. I don't hate UCLA like a USC fan should not having been brought up around the rivalry, but I know how it is going to sound.

Anyway, really UCLA is going to be winning the PAC 10 in two years with the juniors and seniors that Dorrell brought in before last years nice class? Have you seen the talent on the offensive line? IMO, with a big class this year the Bruins would have been a real force in 3 years (better than USC possibly) but this year's class is disappointing to say the least. I'm sure OSU under Tressel could live with a class that wasn't top 25 a lot more than UCLA could right now. How long is Slick Rick going to keep that coaching staff together anyway? (I hadn't even heard of the Dewayne Walker to leave at the end of the year rumors yet)

Also, you keep mentioning that UCLA will be fine this year and there are plenty of elite talents in California left for grabs. Can you name some? (I'll give you top 15-20 at their position nationally as elite) You already have Brehaut (who will be good) and Golper and I'll spot you Michael Phillip and Shaq Evans, both of whom will end up at UCLA IMO. Any others?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #161
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

You truly don't hate UCLA like you should, but I overlook that flaw.

Despite that flaw, spot on. Their offensive line is going to be a downfall to the team this year, particularly with the early injuries they have had. Their likely very poor performance this year is just going to compound the recruiting issues they are having this year.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #162
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
There are more indications out there that Walker will be leaving after this year which is why I think they lost their latest 4 star recruit to ND. Losing 2 4 star's in a little over a week hurts. I think ND will return to status as a power to compete with USC before UCLA will be able to do so.

It has nothing to do with Walker possibly leaving. Looking at the defense this year, I can't see Walker leaving here anyways.

How often do coaches stay at one particular school? Even if he's gone in three years, that means he'll have been Pollard's coach for 2 seasons, one of which is a likely RS year
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #163
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I don't want to get into this argument. I don't hate UCLA like a USC fan should not having been brought up around the rivalry, but I know how it is going to sound.

Anyway, really UCLA is going to be winning the PAC 10 in two years with the juniors and seniors that Dorrell brought in before last years nice class? Have you seen the talent on the offensive line? IMO, with a big class this year the Bruins would have been a real force in 3 years (better than USC possibly) but this year's class is disappointing to say the least. I'm sure OSU under Tressel could live with a class that wasn't top 25 a lot more than UCLA could right now. How long is Slick Rick going to keep that coaching staff together anyway? (I hadn't even heard of the Dewayne Walker to leave at the end of the year rumors yet)

Also, you keep mentioning that UCLA will be fine this year and there are plenty of elite talents in California left for grabs. Can you name some? (I'll give you top 15-20 at their position nationally as elite) You already have Brehaut (who will be good) and Golper and I'll spot you Michael Phillip and Shaq Evans, both of whom will end up at UCLA IMO. Any others?

UCLA hasn't really been targeting that many kids in state that are elite, the staff came in too late to really make a difference in this class. You'll see the difference in next years class however.

The only position UCLA will be hurting in is OL and possibly DT. They are pretty well stocked everywhere else in players.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #164
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
*cough* Texas *cough* *cough* Florida *cough*

Depends on the position. But I think Cali as a whole, probably has more talent then anywhere else by the sheer size of the state. It's not to say that the other two states aren't in the same "elite" category
Old 07-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #165
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
You truly don't hate UCLA like you should, but I overlook that flaw.

Despite that flaw, spot on. Their offensive line is going to be a downfall to the team this year, particularly with the early injuries they have had. Their likely very poor performance this year is just going to compound the recruiting issues they are having this year.

Recruiting will take care of itself. The dynamics of the PAC-10 are changing though. I think this is the year that Tedford will be exposed as a fraud. I also think ASU will start recruiting California much better and will replace Oregon as the main school who takes some good kids from California
Old 07-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #166
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Recruiting will take care of itself. The dynamics of the PAC-10 are changing though. I think this is the year that Tedford will be exposed as a fraud. I also think ASU will start recruiting California much better and will replace Oregon as the main school who takes some good kids from California

We can definitely agree on this. I think ASU is going to be a power in a few years, and there is some real nice talent coming out of Arizona all of a sudden if they can keep it in state.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #167
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Didn't want to start a thread for this, but you really would think a massive company like ESPN wouldn't put rubbish like this on their front page.. read the review of the Buckeyes and then look at their ratings at the end. Makes no sense. I guess Michigan got an A+ on offense as well.

hxxp://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/news/story?id=3479660&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d3479660
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #168
BishopMVP
Coordinator

In addition to taking Pollard (4* CB) from UCLA, ND picked up the #2 G in the nation James Watt... and 2 unrated guys. They're a K/P respectively, so it's kind of expected. Big blow came from the news that Darrin Walls, starting CB and previous 5* recruit, will miss the fall season. We have 3 other highly-rated guys there, but Walls was the clear #1 starter.

Since we have the UCLA fans here, is the QB situation still ridiculously up in the air? I noticed on the betting sites UCLA was the one team listed with no over/under for wins.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #169
MrBug708
Head Coach

It'll be Olson unless he gets hurt again.

Pollard seemed to be a Dorrell guy. Plus he probably saw the depth chart for DB here. Should be a solid guy for you but no one is losing much sleep over him
Old 07-15-2008, 11:35 PM   #170
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
It'll be Olson unless he gets hurt again.

Pollard seemed to be a Dorrell guy. Plus he probably saw the depth chart for DB here. Should be a solid guy for you but no one is losing much sleep over him
Yeah, Pollard seems to be a solid player, but not program-changing.

The reason I was asking about UCLA's QB situation wasn't that I really care who it is, but it seems like there must be some huge uncertainty (the QB/OL injuries?) that would lead to Vegas taking them, and only them, off the board.

I'm also curious about the negativity for Tedford. As someone who doesn't follow the PAC-10 closely in the offseason, he's always struck me as a phenomenal gameday coach and developer of talent. Did he just get lucky all those years?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #171
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Corey Adams names a top 3 in no order; ASU, USC and Ohio State.

Ohio State. Southern California. And Arizona State. In no particular order.

Scottsdale Saguaro defensive lineman Corey Adams this week narrowed it down to those three colleges, after his coach John Sanders was being bombarded by calls from major college coaches.

To curtail some of the madness, Sanders told Adams he's going to have to get it down. Basically, so Sanders can have a life outside of fielding inquiries for Adams this summer.

The brinking point came Sunday, when a reporter from Ohio called Sanders to let him know that Ohio State already had 24 commitments for the Class of 2009.

Sanders got with Adams to let him know he can't wait much longer.

"I tried to explain to Corey I want some answers, because soon it's going to be out of your hands," Sanders said. "They're going to be full at Ohio State. They're going to be full at USC.

"Because he's the local kid, Arizona State won't do anything without telling him first."

Sanders said the original plan was for Adams to announce his choice in January at the Under Armour All-American Bowl in Orlando, Fla., because Sanders will be the secondary coach and Adams will be a partcipant.

"We thought it would be fun," Sanders said. "But his hand might be forced (to do it earlier).

"The way recruiting is going on now, it's nuts. Colleges are pulling offers."

Phoenix Desert Vista defensive end Devon Kennard, a few weeks ago, announced his top five: USC, ASU, Texas, UCLA and California.

Scottsdale Chaparral coach Charlie Ragle said he talked to defensive end Craig Roh's father, Fred, Monday night to let him know that it's time for Craig to narrow it to five.

Ragle said he expects Roh to get it narrowed down in the next week to 10 days. Ragle said he believes Michigan, ASU and USC all to be in the mix. The Rohs took an unofficial visit to Michigan this summer. Fred Roh grew up in Michigan, so having family there is a strong selling point.

hxxp://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/Richardobert/27905
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #172
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wold love to land Roh. USC is the team to beat I think but I assume he takes an official here and if so I think we snare him.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #173
hoopsguy
General Manager

The Illini get their #1 QB target out of this class, 4* Nathan Scheelhasse. Option guy, apparently had some Iowa roots, and was considered an Oklahoma lean. This is the first real recruiting "win" I've seen for Illinois since spring, as the other couple of announcements were considered more under-the-radar types.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #174
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
The Illini get their #1 QB target out of this class, 4* Nathan Scheelhasse. Option guy, apparently had some Iowa roots, and was considered an Oklahoma lean. This is the first real recruiting "win" I've seen for Illinois since spring, as the other couple of announcements were considered more under-the-radar types.

I feel like Zookers recruiting is going to get hurt some by RichRod running his offense in Michigan now. He is going to swipe some of those guys Illinois would've taken in years past. Illinois will still get talent, but it'll be harder to get upper echelon guys who covet that type of system.

Regardless Scheelhasse looks like a huge get for the Illini, congrats.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #175
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm sure they will end up going head to head on some guys, but it doesn't feel like it has happened all that much in this class. Ohio State is the program the Illini have been losing to with regularity this class, mostly in attempts to uproot guys from Ohio.

However, there is a fair amount of top-level talent in state that has gone elsewhere. UM got a lineman, ND got Watt in the last week, Ohio State grabbed Goebel. I would hope that if Illinois is able to put together another couple of winning seasons that they would be able to get a higher percentage of the Top 5/10 guys in state.

Ironically, Zook seems to be making big strides in the Public League (Chicago schools) - an area that has been a tough go for the more successfull Illini basketball program.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #176
hoopsguy
General Manager

A good week for Illinois continues with the signing of 4* WR Terry Hawthorne. He plays for East St. Louis, which is a real powerhouse high school in the area. I'm sure the coaching staff would like to get a pipeline going there (as would Mizzou).

They also signed a 2* safety from East St. Louis, but the guy who is considered the best of the lot is WR Kraig Appleton. He is looking at a ton of top programs and is expected to announce his decision at the Army All-America game. I'm sure the Illini hope that having a couple of his teammates in the fold will help Appleton make the right choice.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #177
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
4-star RB Desmond Scott, rated the #2 all-purpose back in the country by Rivals, and holding offers from West Virginia, Georgia, Clemson, and Tennessee, among others, will commit to Rutgers tomorrow.

One of those others was Duke, as he has now de-committed from Rutgers to go there.

Apparently NJ was too far from home, and he wanted to stay local. Being an excellent student, Duke was his choice. I'm surprised he didn't just go to UNC then, as they're not exactly shabby academically and don't have to state how much they suck in football in lawsuits. Best of luck to the kid.

Last edited by Logan : 07-24-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #178
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
One of those others was Duke, as he has now de-committed from Rutgers to go there.

Apparently NJ was too far from home, and he wanted to stay local. Being an excellent student, Duke was his choice. I'm surprised he didn't just go to UNC then, as they're not exactly shabby academically and don't have to state how much they suck in football in lawsuits. Best of luck to the kid.

Cutcliffe is pretty under the radar, but I suspect he'll be pretty successful at Duke -- particularly with offensive players. Add in the education and (probably more importantly) the early playing time due to the caliber of players currently on their team, and it makes sense.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #179
mckerney
Coordinator

Rivals #5 All Purpose Back Eric Stephens finally committed to Minnesota last week after speculation that he would for a few weeks. He and Lipscomb could be a good 1-2 combo in a couple years, nice to see the Gophers are getting stocked at running back again.

One of the Gophers top recruits from last year Sam Maresh is going to grey shirt and enroll in January because of his heart surgery last month, but as of right now his doctors think he'll be able to participate in spring practice in 2009.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #180
MrBug708
Head Coach

Brehaut named best at Elite 11 camp
Los Osos QB sets accuracy record
T.J. Berka, Staff Writer
Article Created: 07/24/2008 11:09:16 PM PDT

Los Osos High School quarterback Richard Brehaut left his Rancho Cucamonga home for Mission Viejo Monday morning to compete with the best incoming senior signal callers in the country.

He returned home Thursday with a cool new decoration for his bedroom, the golden football jersey that comes with winning the Golden Gun Award at the annual Elite 11 quarterback competition.

"It's pretty cool-looking," said Brehaut, who verbally committed to UCLA in May. "I'm going to frame it and put it up on my wall."

You can't blame Brehaut for taking pride in the gold jersey. He was one of 12 quarterbacks throughout the United States picked to compete in the elite summer camp - whose alumni include the likes of 2007 Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow, Arizona Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart and Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young - and he dazzled from the moment he arrived.

Brehaut set camp records during the last two days of the four-day camp, breaking the accuracy record on consecutive days, scoring 24 points Wednesday and besting his own mark with 27 Thursday in a fierce three-way competition with California commit Allan Bridgford and North Carolina commit Bryn Renner.

Brehaut was named the most accurate quarterback in the camp, one of three awards that the 6-foot-2, 206-pounder received. He was also named as the quarterback best suited to fit in any college system and the quarterback most ready to play early. He was also second in the camp's MVP voting, just behind Georgia commit Aaron Murray.

"I was a little off the first day, but after that I felt like I did pretty well," Brehaut said. "This was definitely the most fun football experience I've ever had. Getting to hang out with all these great quarterbacks and compete with them, I couldn't ask for anything better."

Brehaut also got to rub elbows with some college and professional standouts, most notably Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, Bengals wide receiver and Barstow native T.J. Houshmandzadeh and USC junior quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Brehaut got a chance to interact with Palmer, a Heisman winner at 2002 at USC, quite a bit, as they talked about UCLA offensive coordinator Norm Chow - who coached Palmer at USC.

Despite Palmer being a rival Trojan, there was very little trash talk exchanged between the two.

"We didn't get into the SC-UCLA thing at all," Brehaut said. "Carson was cool and really talked with me a lot about Chow. He let me know what he went through in learning from him and got me really excited about playing under him. Carson was a really cool guy."

The Elite 11, sponsored by EA Sports, also afforded the quarterbacks a lot of fun. The camp provided Xbox 360s for the quarterbacks and ran an NCAA Football 2009 tournament on Tuesday night.

As with everything else Brehaut excelled in that competition, too,taking Florida to the final before losing to Murray, who was playing with Georgia.

"His team was rated No. 1 in the game, so it was tough," Brehaut joked. "I picked Florida because I like quarterbacks that can run and Tebow is a perfect quarterback for me. (UCLA quarterback) Ben Olson is good and all, but he's not much of a runner."
Old 07-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #181
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm guessing Barkley wasn't there?

Seriously, Brehaut looks great and I think he'd be the #1 QB in the country if he wasn't in the same year as Barkley. Definitely, a huge pickup for UCLA.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #182
MrBug708
Head Coach

Nah, he wasnt there. I do wonder why he didnt end up there as well? Not that he has anything to prove, but it would have been nice to see him there. I like the fact that Brehaut got the award that says he could play in any system
Old 07-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #183
bhlloy
Coordinator

Official line is that Barkley wanted to prepare for the season/didn't want to burn himself out.

However, a lot of people seem to think that it was out of loyalty to Dave Clarkson. Same reason Jimmy Clausen didn't show a couple of years back.

I heard that Aaron Murray was absolutely lights out and looked like the best QB there, but he's only 6'1 (being generous, most people think 6'0) tall and might have to play in the shotgun his whole career. Plus Georgia picked up another 5 star QB who is a true pocket passer. Any UGA fans have any insight into where Murray ends up and what that means for Mettenberger? Seems very strange to pick up 2 top 10 QB's in the same class if you don't plan to move one of them...
Old 07-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #184
timmynausea
College Starter

I'm wondering if this will have an effect on recruiting and/or Schiano staying at Rutgers.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...e_rutgers.html

Basically, Rutgers pledged to raise $30 million of the $102 mill needed for their stadium expansion. I could be misunderstanding but it sounds like they've only raised about $2 million and the Governor says there's no way they can raise more than $10 million. The deadline is August 1.

I imagine that this will be a huge selling point in recruiting against Rutgers - no fan support, the program isn't big time, etc. It certainly undoes a lot of the perceived enthusiasm. Even bigger, it seems like exactly the kind of thing that could leave Schiano looking elsewhere. (I hope that doesn't happen for the sake of the Big East, but I don't like the looks of this.) Curious what Rutgers fans have to say.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #185
Logan
Head Coach

Well, this is nothing new. Let's start from the top...

When the expansion plans got put together, it called for $102 million. $72 million was to come from bonds (paid through stadium revenues, which would easily make up the cash flow over the timeframe), and $30 million that Governor Corzine pledged to come from the state. In the face of the state's shitty financial situation, people were upset about this $30 million, despite how we waste billions in all our corrupt dealings, and despite the state giving $200 million to the Giants and Jets for their new stadium, this was a no go.

So Corzine felt bad about reneging on his promise, so he says, "Don't worry, I'm a rich prick, I'll raise the $30 million by reaching into mine and my buddies' pockets." Great. So his advisors then spend 6 months figuring out if this is a conflict of interest, because hey if these guys are giving money to Rutgers, what could it possibly get them in the way of benefits from the state down the line (you know, like what's happening as we speak)? So it wasn't Rutgers that pledged to raise the money, it was our wonderful governor.

So no money got raised during that freeze which is why we're so far behind. But now that everything has been cleared, it's time for Corzine to put his money where his mouth is and step up to the plate. My gut...I think everything gets done, although some of the extra amenities that were planned might be delayed until Phase III (Phase I is the club seats that will be in for this season, Phase II is the 13k extra seats plus everything else).

As for how it will be perceived...no one will be able to knock us on fan support. Our 1000 club seats sold out quickly and we have more people on the waiting list for season tickets than we will have available seats when the first phase of expansion is done.

You can look back at every post I've made on here where I maintain Schiano would never leave...and I'm positive that I always said there wasn't a job he would leave Rutgers for as long as the state did their part in allowing for the program to grow. If this thing fails and he leaves, I wouldn't blame him a bit as I sure as hell wouldn't want to be employed by that shit state. He has a vision, he knows what he wants, and if the state can't comply with reasonable requests to allow for it, he'll be gone. I never want to see him leave, but obviously the hope is for enough of the hard work to have been done by Schiano where someone else can come in and maintain the level of the program.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #186
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Official line is that Barkley wanted to prepare for the season/didn't want to burn himself out.

However, a lot of people seem to think that it was out of loyalty to Dave Clarkson. Same reason Jimmy Clausen didn't show a couple of years back.

I heard that Aaron Murray was absolutely lights out and looked like the best QB there, but he's only 6'1 (being generous, most people think 6'0) tall and might have to play in the shotgun his whole career. Plus Georgia picked up another 5 star QB who is a true pocket passer. Any UGA fans have any insight into where Murray ends up and what that means for Mettenberger? Seems very strange to pick up 2 top 10 QB's in the same class if you don't plan to move one of them...

Without taking too much away from either Brehaut or even Plant, for whatever reason a fairly nice sized collection of top QBs werent there. Including Barkely, something like 8-10 QBs in the 4-5 star range (and rivals ranks 18 between the two star levels, so around half) never competed in a qualifier camp to make it to this event. While i have no doubt that competition was still intense, it still doesnt feel like the typical elite 11 event without a few guys who prob. should have been there.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #187
Logan
Head Coach

All I know about Elite 11 is that Tom Savage was one of the first 4 invites, along with Barkley and the two UGA QBs.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #188
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
All I know about Elite 11 is that Tom Savage was one of the first 4 invites, along with Barkley and the two UGA QBs.

The invites aren't handed out chronologically to the best QB's in the nation....
Old 07-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #189
Logan
Head Coach

I have no idea what that means.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #190
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
You can look back at every post I've made on here where I maintain Schiano would never leave...and I'm positive that I always said there wasn't a job he would leave Rutgers for as long as the state did their part in allowing for the program to grow. If this thing fails and he leaves, I wouldn't blame him a bit as I sure as hell wouldn't want to be employed by that shit state. He has a vision, he knows what he wants, and if the state can't comply with reasonable requests to allow for it, he'll be gone. I never want to see him leave, but obviously the hope is for enough of the hard work to have been done by Schiano where someone else can come in and maintain the level of the program.

Ditto. The state of New Jersey is a total joke. The town I've lived over 90% of my life in was voted the 5th best place to live in America for 2008 by Money magazine, but it's a complete joke of a town.

If Schiano leaves its because his hand was forced, and I will accept that.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #191
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
I have no idea what that means.

The Elite 11 camp system is predicated upon a series of regional camps that take place across the nation. These feeder or qualifying camps are run like any QB camp, except that the top 12 players nationally(predicated upon camp director's opinions) from these camps are invited to the final elite 11 camp every year. The one big rule there is that the QBs are only selected from the feeder camps, so if for whatever reason you dont attend a regional camp, you cannot be selected for the final elite 11 camp irregardless of talent. And what Mr. Bug was referring to, you can obviously not be offered an Elite 11 spot until after your camp. So in what order the QBs received their offers reflects solely upon which camp they attended, and not what their talent level was adjudged to be.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:02 PM   #192
Logan
Head Coach

Okay, I understand. I didn't mean he was considered in the Top 4 of QBs in the nation; just that I was happy his inclusion didn't have anything to do with Barkley or anyone else turning down the invite.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:40 AM   #193
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Okay, I understand. I didn't mean he was considered in the Top 4 of QBs in the nation; just that I was happy his inclusion didn't have anything to do with Barkley or anyone else turning down the invite.

In all honesty, Barkley likely would have had little effect either way...they tend to try and keep the invites even by regional camp, so Savage was really only competing against the other QBs in his NE region. I suppose it comes into play for the 1 or 2 wild-card spots, but in general id say he only had to worry about other NE QBs
Demotivation
Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #194
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Although it technically belongs in last year's thread: A very good JC OL Donovan Edwards de-committed from UCLA today and is going to Cal. Slick Rick is having some serious recruiting problems with his current staff.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #195
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Although it technically belongs in last year's thread: A very good JC OL Donovan Edwards de-committed from UCLA today and is going to Cal.

He didn't so much de-commit as he wasn't cleared by Admissions. He was told to take some summer school classes and he didn't pass one of them.

Quote:
Slick Rick is having some serious recruiting problems with his current staff.

What are you talking about?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #196
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He didn't so much de-commit as he wasn't cleared by Admissions. He was told to take some summer school classes and he didn't pass one of them.

What are you talking about?

He's lost quite a few players in the last month or two. Byron Moore being the most prominent, particularly after he just really shined at the most recent camp and was raved about by camp coaches. You can say that he is new and can't be judged until next year, but he is losing some of UCLA's best recruits for 09 - that is an early bad sign.

Here is an article from today:

Narbonne High defensive back Byron Moore was among many of the nation's top prep football players who recently trained in the Football University All-Star Camp in Orlando, Fla. The camp consisted of three days of training with former NFL players and coaches.

Moore shined while practicing with some of the top prep players in the country, including running back Cierre Wood (Oxnard) and running back/linebacker Patrick Hall (Ventura).

"Moore is the real deal," defensive backs instructor Perry Williams said. "In my opinion, he is the best at camp this weekend. I look forward to following him in the future."

Moore said it was a valuable experience.

"I'm listening to everything Coach Williams is telling me, and I'm learning new things to take back with me for my upcoming season," Moore said.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #197
MrBug708
Head Coach

And when his childhood favorite offered him a scholarship, he took it.

That's one example that happened about a month ago. Do you have any more recent examples? Or is this making a mountain out of a molehill?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #198
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just got home after a bad rain storm made a 30 minute ride take almost 90 minutes:

I'm blanking on all of the details, but didn't they just lose a linemen to ND? They lose this JC player to Cal. They lost someone else who I'm forgetting last month. Not to mention their attempts to sway Randall Carroll have failed as he has said they aren't even in his top 5. 4 decommits in less than 2 months is not a good sign. I'm happy that you are supporting slick Rick though. Hopefully, all UCLA fans will continue to support him for too long as he fails miserably. I'm willing to bet his 2009 class will be worse than the 08 class (which was really put together by Dorrell and his staff) even with Brehaut (if he can keep him.)
Old 07-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #199
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm blanking on all of the details, but didn't they just lose a linemen to ND?

We lost a Cornerback to Notre Dame. A kid who committed to Dorrell last year. We just two took of the best CB's in the state in the last class so his PT isn't there. I wish him well at Notre Dame.

Quote:
They lose this JC player to Cal.

He didn't meet the admissions requirements that was asked of him.

Quote:
They lost someone else who I'm forgetting last month.

No idea

Quote:
Not to mention their attempts to sway Randall Carroll have failed as he has said they aren't even in his top 5.

Is that what this is about?

Quote:
4 decommits in less than 2 months is not a good sign.

Why?

Quote:
I'm happy that you are supporting slick Rick though.

Rick needs to prove he can succeed. I guess after USC fans were so bitterly opposed to Pete Carroll at first, anything is possible.

Quote:
Hopefully, all UCLA fans will continue to support him for too long as he fails miserably.

He has barely started and you are judging him based on a kid not qualifying at UCLA?

Quote:
I'm willing to bet his 2009 class will be worse than the 08 class (which was really put together by Dorrell and his staff) even with Brehaut (if he can keep him.)

Are we just throwing stuff off of walls to see what sticks? You mean two of the three main coaches for UCLA are not hitting every 5 star kid in the state of California?

Did you ever stop and think that maybe it was already too late to recruit a lot of the kids in this class? You start recruiting them the summer of their junior years. The summer of the C/O 2009 kids saw Rick and Norm coaching in the NFL. Kind of hard to establish relationships doing that, huh?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #200
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Randall Carroll knows how to stir things up. He had this to say about UCLA in a recent interview:

"I've been up to UCLA and seen the way they work, and I really don't like it that much. I get the feeling there are a lot of guys who don't want to go there, but most don't have better options like I do."