Old 12-06-2008, 08:08 PM   #151
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Boy, speed kills doesn't it?

Maclin looked veryveryfast right there.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #152
MrBug708
Head Coach

Well, it only took Craft 58 minutes to throw a pick in this game. UCLA's D came to play, they went toe to toe with USC. TOo bad the offense only had 7 (I think?) first downs all game? I don't expect Walker to be at UCLA next year
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #153
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I sure feel bad for Demarco Murray. He's worked so hard to get back to his old form, and now he injures his other knee on the opening kickoff return. I've followed his high school career since he was at Bishop Gorman here in Las Vegas. He's a super kid, good student, and very humble.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #154
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looks like OU is playing 11 on 7.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #155
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Glad I placed my bet on Oklahoma. I just didn't see this team blowing there chance, even though I was hoping they would. Should be a fun National Championship Game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #156
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Maybe 11 on 6.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #157
Mike1409
High School Varsity

It looks likethe Big 12 really is only the Big 2.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #158
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

MBBF's bold statement a few months ago is hilarious given the current state of events.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #159
miami_fan
Coordinator

So when do the calls for eliminating the divisions and just taking the top two teams for the championship game start?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #160
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow... just... !$@&*%(@! You can't give Bradford all day to throw.. that OU offensive line is brutal...

I still think it's a toss up between Oklahoma - Texas - Alabama - Florida

REALLY, REALLY need a playoff system in place.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #161
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Dr. Pepper halftime throwing contest > this game
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #162
RedKingGold
College Starter

So, what if Oklahoma looks "so impressive" that voters put Oklahoma at #1 and Florida at #2?

Couldn't the computer spread put Texas into the title game over Florida?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #163
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Beating a #1 11-0 team > beating a #20 9-3 team.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #164
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
So, what if Oklahoma looks "so impressive" that voters put Oklahoma at #1 and Florida at #2?

Couldn't the computer spread put Texas into the title game over Florida?

Oklahoma and Missouri will wash each other out since the win helps Texas, but the loss also hurts them. Florida will be a no brainer #2 and a 11 point win against a then 12-0 team and is gonna do wonders for the computers. Texas isn't getting in if Oklahoma wins. Period.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #165
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Oklahoma and Missouri will wash each other out since the win helps Texas, but the loss also hurts them. Florida will be a no brainer #2 and a 11 point win against a then 12-0 team and is gonna do wonders for the computers. Texas isn't getting in if Oklahoma wins. Period.

Most of the projections I saw had Texas .05 ahead of Florida in the computer polls if Florida beat Alabama. That means that Florida will need to pick up about 40 points in both the Harris and USA Today polls to move ahead of Texas. It is very possible, but the margin between Texas and Florida could be even closer than last week's .012 between Texas and Oklahoma.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #166
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

HAHA Musberger (sp) had a great line, "The sooners are holding up 4 fingers indicating the 4th belongs to them. Not to mention the first, second and thrid."
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #167
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Why are the OU starters still in the game? Do they have some kind of long standing beef with Missouri or do they actually care about that 60+ points streak? I thought with Bradford's hand they'd at least have him out of there by now.

Last edited by Big Fo : 12-06-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #168
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Why are the OU starters still in the game? Do they have some kind of long standing beef with Missouri or do they actually care about that 60+ points streak? I thought with Bradford's hand they'd at least have him out of there by now.

Maybe because they aren't assured of being one of the top two teams in the final BCS rankings tomorrow?
Old 12-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #169
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I thought it was win and they're in for OU.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #170
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I would love to see USC's defense vs. OU's offense.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #171
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

First team in NCAA history to score 60+ points in five consecutive games.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #172
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If the human polls don't both have Florida a full point ahead of Texas, there will be a rematch of the Red River Shootout in the BCS title game.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #173
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
If the human polls don't both have Florida a full point ahead of Texas, there will be a rematch of the Red River Shootout in the BCS title game.

#4 just did cover the spread, why should they jump #3 that is significantly ahead of them in the BCS?

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #174
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I would love to see USC's defense vs. OU's offense.

So you are coming around to the idea of a playoff???

Old 12-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #175
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
So you are coming around to the idea of a playoff???

Nope. There's just as much chance of them being 1-2 in the BCS as there is them meeting in the playoffs, which is about the same as them meeting in the Rose Bowl. Besides, nearly everyone wants to see UF-OU and the BCS will make that happen more than a playoffs would.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #176
sooner333
College Starter

No matter what happens in the bowl season, I'm just glad I got to witness each game from the OU season. It's really been a joy to watch them play, progress, and dominate teams at the end of the season on the offensive side of the ball. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in standings and everything (and it seems easy for me to say this now that OU is looking like a lock to the BCS championship game, but this was true even before last week when it was definitely in doubt), but I think you just have to think about how fun it is to watch college football where each team isn't running the same stuff in different uniforms and where it's the breeding ground for change in systems.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #177
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
#4 just did cover the spread, why should they jump #3 that is significantly ahead of them in the BCS?

Because the spread is a gambling tool and shouldn't be a part of the discussion.

1) They won one more game
2) That extra win was a win in a championship game against the #1 team in the nation
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:22 AM   #178
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Because the spread is a gambling tool and shouldn't be a part of the discussion.

What what what.

Alabama had a terrible computer average for their record and the line reflected that.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:41 AM   #179
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Hawaii just took the lead over #13 Cincinnati, 17-10 in the 3rd quarter.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #180
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
What what what.

Alabama had a terrible computer average for their record and the line reflected that.

You are not grasping what is obvious and important. Sorry, only magic fairy dust will make it so Florida didn't just beat the #1 team in the nation in a championship game.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:36 AM   #181
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Because when it's all said and done Florida beat the #1 team in the country by 11 on a neutral field and thus won their conference while Texas sat home and didn't win theirs(justified, or not). Texas only lost poll points on Saturday while Florida, Oklahoma, and USC gained them. Florida would raise a ton of hell if they didn't get in, and they would have "a lot" of backers. Texas has a right to complain, but they got screwed by their own conference's rules. If Texas wants to complain, they don't have far to go.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:53 AM   #182
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Wow! Cincinnati takes the lead over Hawaii 29-24, late in the 4th, on a safety followed by a 69 yard TD strike from Grutza to Gillyard.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:24 AM   #183
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Because when it's all said and done Florida beat the #1 team in the country by 11 on a neutral field and thus won their conference while Texas sat home and didn't win theirs(justified, or not). Texas only lost poll points on Saturday while Florida, Oklahoma, and USC gained them. Florida would raise a ton of hell if they didn't get in, and they would have "a lot" of backers. Texas has a right to complain, but they got screwed by their own conference's rules. If Texas wants to complain, they don't have far to go.

Texas beat the #1 team in the country on a neutral field too. It seems kind of crappy that the system is based purely on scheduling and when you end up playing the better team.

In fact, there is a case that Florida doesn't belong. The SEC is having a down year (for them at least) and their loss to Mississippi is worse than Texas' loss to Tech.

In any event, the championship is not determined on the field. It's a joke of a system.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:44 AM   #184
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Interesting. The Sagarin ELO Chess rankings just came out, and OU is #1, Texas is #2, Texas Tech is #3 and Florida is #4. If the other computer rankings are similar, Texas might just squeek by Florida in the final BCS rankings.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #185
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Texas beat the #1 team in the country on a neutral field too. It seems kind of crappy that the system is based purely on scheduling and when you end up playing the better team.

In fact, there is a case that Florida doesn't belong. The SEC is having a down year (for them at least) and their loss to Mississippi is worse than Texas' loss to Tech.

In any event, the championship is not determined on the field. It's a joke of a system.

Both teams flipped a switch after their losses and many consider them to be playing the best football out of anybody. That is going to sway voters much more than looking at losses that might of happened months ago.

In terms of systems, if the Big 12 used the same one as the SEC, Texas would have played Missouri. A whole lot less complaints if that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Interesting. The Sagarin ELO Chess rankings just came out, and OU is #1, Texas is #2, Texas Tech is #3 and Florida is #4. If the other computer rankings are similar, Texas might just squeek by Florida in the final BCS rankings.

You have to wonder if the people behind that computer poll aren't looking to fix those numbers during the offseason. TT has zero right to be ranked ahead of Florida and ranked #3. Getting smoked by 40+ means you shouldn't be above any of this year's Big 6.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #186
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Interesting. The Sagarin ELO Chess rankings just came out, and OU is #1, Texas is #2, Texas Tech is #3 and Florida is #4. If the other computer rankings are similar, Texas might just squek by Florida in the final BCS rankings.

Anyone have any insight here? In prediction markets, you can buy anyone but OU and UF very very cheaply. You think Texas has more than a 3-4% chance to get a berth?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #187
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
First team in NCAA history to score 60+ points in five consecutive games.

I hope Florida kicks OU's ass.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #188
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

A bunch of one-loss teams. Which one came closest to being unbeaten?

Texas lost on the last play of the game. No one else can say that. So for my money, Texas is #1, despite the fact I don't like them. Or any other team in this debate except Penn State.

Who do they play? It doesn't matter. The #2 team will win because that's how this season has gone.

Every #1 team has choked this season, no reason to assume that will change in the bowl games.

There is no champion this season, so let the results show that.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #189
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Which one came closest to being unbeaten?

I really don't see how that matters, since it seems to assume that "unbeaten" equals "best team" ... and that's not always the case. Otherwise we'd be having conversations about Utah, Boise, and would have had Ball State in the mix until now.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #190
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

wtf

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #191
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Most of the projections I saw had Texas .05 ahead of Florida in the computer polls if Florida beat Alabama. That means that Florida will need to pick up about 40 points in both the Harris and USA Today polls to move ahead of Texas. It is very possible, but the margin between Texas and Florida could be even closer than last week's .012 between Texas and Oklahoma.
I've been hearing "projections" from the "experts" that Florida needs anything from 75-150 point lead in the polls to overcome the edge Texas has in the computers.

Here's you BCS uproar for the day. It's distinctly possible that Texas could end up No. 2 in all three human polls and end up with the No. 2 computer average and still not be in the title game if OU remains ahead in the computers and Florida is No. 1 in Harris.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #192
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

I hope Florida kicks OU's ass.
Don't care who it is, but somebody needs to kick OU's ass.

You're up 48-21 midway through the fourth quarter and you still have your starters in and are passing downfield? OU didn't set the scoring record because they have a great offense (they do have a great offense -- not disputing that) but because Bob Stoops is a giant d-bag. A lucky giant d-bag at that. He's intentionally run up the score in four of the last five games supposedly under the guise of winning "impressively" for the voters. He's just lucky there wasn't a fluke play or an angry Tiger (it was a chippy game after all) and Bradford ended up with a late hit on his knee.

I was impressed with what Stoops did the first few years at OU. Now, I just see him as a sleazy, manipulative prick. See Bradford's interview after the game where he said OU was tired of people saying they didn't belong in the Big 12 title game and tired of Mizzou saying their last two wins against us were a fluke? Who said either of those things? Yes, people debated about whether Texas or OU was better but NO ONE argued OU didn't belong in the title game. And certainly no one from Missouri was talking fluke this week. Stoops just made that up for motivation.

Whoever plays OU next, please give them a Tennessee stump fuck.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #193
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
a Tennessee stump fuck.

Is this one of those things I can look up in something online and then instantly regret it? Like a rusty trombone or whatnot?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #194
sooner333
College Starter

A) I don't think Stoops has run up the score all year. Prior to the Oklahoma State game, OU averaged just over 4 ppg in the fourth quarter. In the OSU game, OU was up two possessions and OSU just called a time out (not wanting the game to end, I guess)--I'm not going to call it running up the score when that happens and you run the football up the middle, you can call it whatever you want. Obviously, I do think he ran up the score yesterday, throwing deep up 55-21. I think he's just pissed now. Call it poor sportsmanship, call it playing until the end and trying to let the other team stop it, but it is what it is. I've never been anti running up the score, but some people are and I understand.

Secondly, the computer polls don't account for scoring margin because of what is being discussed earlier. Again, I don't like it because if you either cap scoring margin in the computers or make a diminishing rate of returns, you can cure those problems. But, the BCS people didn't want it in there, so it's out. Texas Tech could have lost by 1 at OU or by the margin they lost by and the rankings would be the exact same. Texas Tech actually beat Texas (yes, we don't hear about that one much) and OSU and they played in the best conference in the nation so they get rewarded for losing just as many games this year as Florida, Texas, OU, Alabama, USC, and Penn State in the computers.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #195
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
See Bradford's interview after the game where he said OU was tired of people saying they didn't belong in the Big 12 title game and tired of Mizzou saying their last two wins against us were a fluke? Who said either of those things? Yes, people debated about whether Texas or OU was better but NO ONE argued OU didn't belong in the title game. And certainly no one from Missouri was talking fluke this week. Stoops just made that up for motivation.

Oh, come on. Lots of people said Oklahoma didn't deserve to be there. I think when people say for two consecutive weeks that Texas deserves to be there because they won head to head (as if that's all that matters in tie between three teams), it at the very least infers that Oklahoma doesn't deserve to be there because they lost head-to-head.

Mizzou people pretty much said the first game was a fluke due to turnovers and they should have won. Chase Daniel said this week that he feels better about the game because he wasn't sick (with a cold) this week like he was last year at the Big 12 Championship. Again, I don't think anyone said "that was a fluke" but you can read between the lines (at least I can read between lines on comments, but I'm not incredibly angry right now).
Old 12-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #196
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
You are not grasping what is obvious and important. Sorry, only magic fairy dust will make it so Florida didn't just beat the #1 team in the nation in a championship game.

While I am definitely grasping the obvious, people put too much weight on polls. If OU was to play Alabama I would be one broke guy if Alabama was the favorite. Let me put it in terms you might understand. I would bet OU would be the favorite not that they would win.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #197
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

After determining the Big-12 championship game participants the BCS computers were put to work on other major contests and today the BCS declared Germany to be the winner of World War II.

"Germany put together an incredible number of victories beginning with the annexation of Austria and the Sudetenland and continuing on into conference play with defeats of Poland, France, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and the Netherlands. Their only losses came against the US and Russia; however considering their entire body of work--including an incredibly tough Strength of Schedule--our computers deemed them worthy of the #1 ranking."

Questioned about the #4 ranking of the United States the BCS commissioner stated "The US only had two major victories--Japan and Germany. The computer models, unlike humans, aren't influenced by head-to-head contests--they consider each contest to be only a single, equally-weighted event."

German Chancellor Adolph Hiter said "Yes, we lost to the US; but we defeated #2 ranked France in only 6 weeks." Herr Hitler has been criticized for seeking dramatic victories to earn 'style points' to enhance Germany's rankings. Hitler protested "Our contest with Poland was in doubt until the final day and the conditions in Norway were incredibly challenging and demanded the application of additional forces."

The French ranking has also come under scrutiny. The BCS commented " France had a single loss against Germany and following a preseason #1 ranking they only fell to #2."

Japan was ranked #3 with victories including Manchuria, Borneo and the Philippines.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #198
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't care who it is, but somebody needs to kick OU's ass.

You're up 48-21 midway through the fourth quarter and you still have your starters in and are passing downfield? OU didn't set the scoring record because they have a great offense (they do have a great offense -- not disputing that) but because Bob Stoops is a giant d-bag. A lucky giant d-bag at that. He's intentionally run up the score in four of the last five games supposedly under the guise of winning "impressively" for the voters. He's just lucky there wasn't a fluke play or an angry Tiger (it was a chippy game after all) and Bradford ended up with a late hit on his knee.

I was impressed with what Stoops did the first few years at OU. Now, I just see him as a sleazy, manipulative prick. See Bradford's interview after the game where he said OU was tired of people saying they didn't belong in the Big 12 title game and tired of Mizzou saying their last two wins against us were a fluke? Who said either of those things? Yes, people debated about whether Texas or OU was better but NO ONE argued OU didn't belong in the title game. And certainly no one from Missouri was talking fluke this week. Stoops just made that up for motivation.

Completely agreed. Way to protect Bradford's injured hand - keep him in a game where the game is clearly over. Don't tell me he did it because of the polls, that kind of running up the score isn't going to help them in the polls at all. I hope whoever plays them just destroys them.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #199
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Completely agreed. Way to protect Bradford's injured hand - keep him in a game where the game is clearly over. Don't tell me he did it because of the polls, that kind of running up the score isn't going to help them in the polls at all. I hope whoever plays them just destroys them.

Well, the National Championship is considered a big game .. so I don't think you need to worry about them being destroyed
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #200
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Looking foward to Penn State v. USC (and hope it's competitive for over a half).

Have faith...I do. I think this could be a great game. I respect USC a lot, but they aren't as invincible as many pundits make them out to be.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote