Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #151
sabotai
General Manager

At this point, I think it's almost guaranteed that a lot more people will be disappointed with the ending than will be satisfied with it. It's just been built up too much, and everyone seems to have their own idea as to how the series should end.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #152
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
At this point, I think it's almost guaranteed that a lot more people will be disappointed with the ending than will be satisfied with it. It's just been built up too much, and everyone seems to have their own idea as to how the series should end.

There was some interview with the creators where they praised how The Wire and The Shield ended, but I swear they basically said their ending might have a Sopranos feel to it in how the fans react.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #153
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Well, it seemed to start out as science fiction, and turns out its a lesson in religious ideology. I cannot imagine anything that would turn off the science fiction crowd more.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #154
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
There was some interview with the creators where they praised how The Wire and The Shield ended, but I swear they basically said their ending might have a Sopranos feel to it in how the fans react.

I didn't like te way the wire ended, I loved how the shield ended but the biggest difference if we saw it coming during two full seasons, we knew something like that would happen, they build it slowly and that's why it was great.

Regarding the ending, honestly they didn't show up anything yet.

For me this can only lead to great expectations and therefore great disapointment.

Let's hope I'm wrong.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #155
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Well, it seemed to start out as science fiction, and turns out its a lesson in religious ideology. I cannot imagine anything that would turn off the science fiction crowd more.

That was the main reason I stopped watching Battlestar Galactica, here at least it's less mystical.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #156
StLee
High School Varsity

Quote:

May the force be with you!

As far as the story goes, nothing to me is indicating anything of God vs Devil play, though they are trying to drop those hints (I believe as Red Herrings). In the end, I think it is more of a scientific, chaos theory abounding throughout. I have nothing to base that on, other than there seems to be so many theological/mythological hints being dropped in that I can see nothing of a true ideology there. Hopefully, I will be surprised by the endgame and say, "Oh, OK. That's cool." I invested too much forum time reading about the show to be blown away by anything since so many different angles have been theorized. I imagine that's what the creators of the show wanted from the beginning, lots and lots of hypothetical situations discussed.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #157
Swaggs
Coordinator

I feel like there was a good episode in there tonight, but it got edited down and they shaved off about 10-15 vital minutes.

The only thing I think I got out of this one was that Sayid turned heel for the remainder of the series.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #158
sabotai
General Manager

Sayid has always been a follower.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #159
hoopsguy
General Manager

I missed something at the end with the Tivo going out. Anyone want to spoil the last five minutes for me, since I can't find it online at the ABC site yet?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #160
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

This is good news.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #161
hoopsguy
General Manager

Thanks, Brassmonkey.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:19 AM   #162
Pyser
Pro Rookie

this season sucks

they spent 5 seasons building up something great with widmore and all that, then in the last episode of the season turned it into jacob vs MIB.

then someone in the writers room had the brilliant idea to turn the flashbacks into CoincidenceLand, where absolutely nothing of note happens, except some history is changed and people bump into each other but dont know it. which essentially wastes half of every single episode.

i mean, we have 10 episodes left. sayid died and is now bad. claire, the nicest person on the show, is now evil (and horribly, horribly, HORRIBLY unconvincing). jack broke a mirror. jacob, who we didnt even know was real until 5 episodes ago, died. did i miss anything?

unless widmore and desmond come back, and maybe eloise, this season is a waste. they shouldve ended it last year.

prove me wrong, lost!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #163
Pyser
Pro Rookie

dola

anyone else feel like the first 4 seasons are essentially meaningless now?

some characters arent even themselves anymore, and the time change has wiped out most of the rest of the history.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:03 AM   #164
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
this season sucks
prove me wrong, lost!
It gives me hope that the thing Ronnie posted that listed the ratings for the first 9 episodes (only spoilers are episode titles) - Lost Season 6 - Episode Scorecard | Lost Season 6 - has
Spoiler

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-03-2010 at 03:06 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #165
Swaggs
Coordinator

In previous seasons, who else did the smoke monster kill? I think it got the original pilot (Matt Parkman from Heroes), Mr. Echo, Keamy (sp?) and his team. I'm trying to think if there is anyone else and what the link could be, or if it is inconsequential now.

Also, I guess it is just Jack and Hurley, and then the group that is with Sun (Frank the pilot, Ilyana?, Ben, and Sun) that are not w/ Smoke Locke now?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #166
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
dola

anyone else feel like the first 4 seasons are essentially meaningless now?

some characters arent even themselves anymore, and the time change has wiped out most of the rest of the history.
I have that thought all the time. I think back to the first and second season and think that the writers had no idea where they were headed and it's essentially a new show with similar characters now.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #167
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Also, I guess it is just Jack and Hurley, and then the group that is with Sun (Frank the pilot, Ilyana?, Ben, and Sun) that are not w/ Smoke Locke now?
Don't forget the other other Others that I'm sure will be introduced 3 episodes from the finale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
I have that thought all the time. I think back to the first and second season and think that the writers had no idea where they were headed and it's essentially a new show with similar characters now.
I think they had the broad idea and a lot of S1still holds together - it set up the Jack/Locke science/faith rivalry, the apparently all-important Jack/Kate/Sawyer triangle, introduced the smoke monster and that there were mysterious other people on the island. It's S2 and S3 where it feels like they were just killing time and/or had no idea how they wanted to end it. There were also a couple off-camera things that affected things - I'm not sure if Libby and Ana-Lucia were supposed to be big characters but I remember Eko was supposed to have a large role going forward before he asked off the show. Even so, there was a lot of irrelevant and now whitewashed stuff that happened then. I'm sure Widmore etc. will be tied back in when the Smoke Monster tries to get off the island, otherwise yes, S4 and S5 could fall into that category.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-04-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #168
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

and where the F is Desmond a.k.a. the most interesting person on the show?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #169
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
and where the F is Desmond a.k.a. the most interesting person on the show?

I can't stand most episodes with Desmond in it.. So glad he's not around.

I think so far this season has been ok for me, I don't think it is as bad as some make it out to be, but I still don't really care too much for the sideways arc. I think the one thing missing is one of the things I enjoyed greatly was Ben's character earlier seasons as well as the mystery of the island. I think the more I come to learn about the island, the less mysterious it is and thus the less interesting. Plus there hasn't really been a good replacement for Ben's character since he has become a rather minor role.

Still this show is my most anticipated every week, so must be alright in my eyes

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #170
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Something I didn't realize (thanks EW) is that this season's episodes mirrored the first season's episodes as to who was featured. Except for the last episode "Sundown", which in the 1st season featured Sun and Jin and this one was Sayied focused.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #171
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I can't stand most episodes with Desmond in it.. So glad he's not around.

I think so far this season has been ok for me, I don't think it is as bad as some make it out to be, but I still don't really care too much for the sideways arc. I think the one thing missing is one of the things I enjoyed greatly was Ben's character earlier seasons as well as the mystery of the island. I think the more I come to learn about the island, the less mysterious it is and thus the less interesting. Plus there hasn't really been a good replacement for Ben's character since he has become a rather minor role.

Still this show is my most anticipated every week, so must be alright in my eyes

Next week is a Ben episode, I believe.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #172
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I think both Ben and Desmond's stories have been told, to a large degree.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #173
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm sure Widmore etc. will be tied back in when the Smoke Monster tries to get off the island, otherwise yes, S4 and S5 could fall into that category.
Or, alternatively, the writers could just be douches. Lisa de Moraes - Creators of 'Lost' say they won't tie up all those loose ends - washingtonpost.com (I don't think anything in that article could be classified as a spoiler, but you probably don't want to read it anyway.)
Old 03-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #174
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Lindelof already said that article was bullshit FWIW.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:46 AM   #175
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Lindelof already said that article was bullshit FWIW.
On one hand, I pray he's right and it's a smokescreen. On the other, the only hard thing mentioned in the article was the economist Sayid shot on the golf course (and presumably the other X# Ben had Sayid going after), and I really don't see how they can adequately explain who is "good" and who is "bad" - and why - in 12 episodes when there are much bigger issues to wrap up. I was still hoping they at least had it mapped out by early S3 once ABC gave them a deadline, but reading behind the scenes on The Wire even the best shows apparently wait until the last season to figure out the most integral questions.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #176
bryce
High School Varsity

My girlfriend and I have both watched this show from day 1, but we've both adopted the "Thank God this show is finally almost over" attitude. A brief exchange we had during the latest episode on Tuesday, which was an election night here in Texas, pretty much sums it up:

Me: "Wow, Perry is killing them."
Her: "Huh? I was watching the dog breakdance on the floor."

Lost was on, but neither of us was watching it. I was more interested in the primary election results scrolling across the screen, and she was more preoccupied with the dog scratching her butt. Yep, Season 6 of Lost...

As someone else mentioned, and I completely agree, and I've had this view for years now - I don't think the writers had any clue what they were doing 3,4,5 years ago - they just threw junk at the wall and hoped something would stick. And now this is the result, just garbage.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #177
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
My girlfriend and I have both watched this show from day 1, but we've both adopted the "Thank God this show is finally almost over" attitude. A brief exchange we had during the latest episode on Tuesday, which was an election night here in Texas, pretty much sums it up:

Me: "Wow, Perry is killing them."
Her: "Huh? I was watching the dog breakdance on the floor."

Lost was on, but neither of us was watching it. I was more interested in the primary election results scrolling across the screen, and she was more preoccupied with the dog scratching her butt. Yep, Season 6 of Lost...

As someone else mentioned, and I completely agree, and I've had this view for years now - I don't think the writers had any clue what they were doing 3,4,5 years ago - they just threw junk at the wall and hoped something would stick. And now this is the result, just garbage.

Could not disagree more. It's abundantly clear to me that they have known all along what is going to happen. Maybe you're just not paying enough attention?
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #178
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am rewatching every season as 6 goes along and frankly I am shocked at the little things mentioned early on that have been brought up so far in the final season. It was far more detailed then I remembered.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #179
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
I think its all going to make sense at the end.

Remember season 1 Episode 3. When Locke was playing backgammon at the end and talking about the black and white pieces on it and then whisper something to Walt.

It could be important.

I'm betting the 'He's coming/he'll figure out how to get here' person Jacob referred to at the Lighthouse is Walt. Remember Ben telling the Losties 'We got so much more than we bargained for (with Walt)' when he put Michael and Walt on the boat? Well, so far they haven't gotten much of anything, so Walt as Jacob's replacement makes sense to me.

He was already able to jump around like Jacob, popping up here and there.

And he needs to reclaim Vincent, too.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #180
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Could not disagree more. It's abundantly clear to me that they have known all along what is going to happen. Maybe you're just not paying enough attention?

+1

IF it's Walt, they'll need a new actor as old Walt is too big (or it will have to be a future Walt)
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #181
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
+1

IF it's Walt, they'll need a new actor as old Walt is too big (or it will have to be a future Walt)

We've already seen 'big' Walt when Ben was in NYC. Not sure why you think the actor is too old to come back.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #182
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post

I just wanted to add to the chorus that where this is going does not in any way seem incongruous with the earlier seasons. They crashed on a very special island, which some people have committed themselves to defending. We are learning more about who is defending it, perhaps against what. The battle of good versus evil where the castaways are the pawns.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #183
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
What if in season 1 they did an extra filming scene of Walt and save it for later. Then for sure they knew what they were doing.

Certainly plausible
Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #184
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
We've already seen 'big' Walt when Ben was in NYC. Not sure why you think the actor is too old to come back.

It was something Damon/Carlton said, I personally don't care if they use the real Walt and just say he went thru a growth spurt the last 3 years...
Old 03-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #185
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Next week is a Ben episode, I believe.

About f-ing time. The writers seemed to have forgotten that Michael Emmerson won their show an Emmy last season, not Jack or Kate or any of the others. He has been woefully underused so far. He disappeared in the temple just after talking to Sayid, so I got the sense that he was up to something.

I find it hard to believe that Desmond -- who had all that set up in prior seasons with his unique ability to perceive time -- still doesn't have a role to play. My gut tells me that he is the one Jacob was referring to.

At some point, the writers have to give me some reason to side with Jacob in all of this. As it stands, he is just a secretive, manipulative, egotistical jackass. At least the MIB gives you some answers from time to time.

I was just starting to warm up to Mr. Miyagi.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #186
DanGarion
Coordinator

Lost fans. Quick! Don't let Lost lose!

IR Greatest TV Show Tournament: Round 1, Bloc 5 - Front Office Football Central
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #187
spleen1015
Coordinator

Some interesting things last night.

Welcome back, Charles.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #188
Swaggs
Coordinator

I thought the episode was just okay by itself, but when you contrast it with the Sayid episode, the week before, it was really good. Both of their flash sideways storylines had them having to make an ethical choice w/ the results seemingly crossing over to their island storyline. Pretty cool to see that Sayid and Ben have ended up on "teams" that are different than we might have expected.

Looking forward to seeing what Richard can/will reveal. And, also, I had mentioned earlier that I thought that the Kwan on the list was Jin because Jacob had touched him in that wedding scene and, last night, Richard mentioned something about Jacob touching people being a blessing/curse.

Also, last night for a moment, for the first time I had the thought that the Locke in the flash sideways was Smokey, as he seemed to be pushing Ben in a certain direction. Probably nothing, but maybe something to keep an eye on.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #189
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the sideways stories are basically coincidenceland right now to me. still feels like we are wasting 30 minutes where we could be doing more.

but i enjoyed bens episode. i definitely miss him being in control though. i mean, even when the crap was being beaten out of him in previous episodes, he still seemed in control. he seemed weak last night when anne newcia (no idea what her name is) tied him up to dig his grave.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #190
Thomkal
Head Coach

I liked the last episode a little better than the others, and oddly enough I thought the very last scene was the most effective-the various survivors and Jacob allies hugging in the center with Richard and a very vulnerable Ben on the outskirts. You could tell Ben just wanted to go up to them and get hugged-he is such a good actor. And then of course there was the periscope...

I like the setup of the two sides and the likely battle that will ensue. But for the love of God, can you finally have Kate decide to go one way or the other and stay that way?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #191
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I liked the last episode a little better than the others, and oddly enough I thought the very last scene was the most effective-the various survivors and Jacob allies hugging in the center with Richard and a very vulnerable Ben on the outskirts. You could tell Ben just wanted to go up to them and get hugged-he is such a good actor. And then of course there was the periscope...

I like the setup of the two sides and the likely battle that will ensue. But for the love of God, can you finally have Kate decide to go one way or the other and stay that way?

I'm surprised that people are so down on Kate for this reason. I think that the gathering of sides is essentially what this season is about and that she is, and has been, somewhat of a wildcard all along. In the end, I expect her to go with Jack (she had the quote that, "I have always been with you" or something like that, last season, when he asked if she had his back), unless Jack makes a decision against it.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #192
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I think Kate is just going along with them because everyone else is dead, when she sees Jack she'll be on his side.

The real question is what side is Widmore really on? I think he's going to the hydra station to fight on Jacob's side but not sure. Hopefully they explore that more next episode instead of doing the usual tease then skipping an episode (think MIB dragging Richard off and not seeing anything the next week)
Old 03-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #193
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently the March 23rd and May 4th episodes answer a majority of the remaining questions.

I know the 23rd episode is the one people are on pins and needles waiting for because of who it is about.

Spoiler below for who it is about.

Spoiler
Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #194
spleen1015
Coordinator

Spoiler
Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #195
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Seems like people like the first batch of spoilered episode grades, so here are the rest through 6.16.

Spoiler

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 03-15-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #196
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Losties, check out today's Teefury shirt (3/16): The Limited Edition Cheap T-Shirt, Gone in 24hours! | TeeFury
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #197
chesapeake
College Starter

Redeemed Ben is a big snooze.

Who is the villian now? I think that I am supposed to believe that Locke is the bad guy because he just killed everyone in the temple. Other than Dogen to a very modest extent, I didn't give half a turd about anyone in the temple. To be honest, if I was faced with the choice of Locke and Jacob right now, I'd go with Locke. They're both a-holes, but at least Locke gives you a little information every now and then.

I was hoping that this episode would show Ben crafting up another Machiavellian scheme, but he went soft on us, and I think it is for real.

In my opinion, shows like this work best when there is a well-defined heel. Ben was absolutely outstanding in that role. Now there is no discernable bad guy. Absent that, who am I supposed to be rooting for? I find this all a little unsatisfying.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #198
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
this season sucks

they spent 5 seasons building up something great with widmore and all that, then in the last episode of the season turned it into jacob vs MIB.

then someone in the writers room had the brilliant idea to turn the flashbacks into CoincidenceLand, where absolutely nothing of note happens, except some history is changed and people bump into each other but dont know it. which essentially wastes half of every single episode.

i mean, we have 10 episodes left. sayid died and is now bad. claire, the nicest person on the show, is now evil (and horribly, horribly, HORRIBLY unconvincing). jack broke a mirror. jacob, who we didnt even know was real until 5 episodes ago, died. did i miss anything?

unless widmore and desmond come back, and maybe eloise, this season is a waste. they shouldve ended it last year.

prove me wrong, lost!

Couldn't agree more.

Last 2 episodes (Ben and Sawyer) have convinced me that it's just about what we saw in last season's finale : choice.

For me the alternate reality is "what would have happened if they had made a better choice in their life".

And so far it just sucks.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #199
sabotai
General Manager

The show is really losing me. I didn't mind the Kate episode that everyone seemed to hate, but this one was just painful to watch. The alternative storyline is just awful now. It was fine at first, how the characters casually bumped into each other at the airport or shortly after leaving.

But MIles and Sawyer are detectives and partners!? .......whatever.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #200
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
But MIles and Sawyer are detectives and partners!? .......whatever.

Lost as a 70's buddy-cop movie! Cue the wah pedal and car chases!
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote