Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #151
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Seriously?

SI

yep. as he pointed out in slo-motion -- the angle of the stick for the d-to-d pass was correct, the stick/puck was slightly deflected by the forechecker (didn't catch which he meant) and the puck slipped in shortside (where Nabakov as the goalie needed to be covering regardless) while Nabakov was asleep.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #152
Danny
Head Coach

YES!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #153
Danny
Head Coach

Woot!!! We're up 2-1 in the series
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:45 AM   #154
MrBug708
Head Coach

Go Kings?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #155
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am not sure why this should be stunning. Phoenix is the higher seed, they got 107 points in the regular season and Detroit is coming into the playoffs with a rookie goalie.

I think if Phoenix wins will be considered an upset, but shouldn't be considered a huge or stunning upset by any stretch of the imagination.

Detroit losing to Toronto in 1993 was an "UN-BEE-LEEB-ABBA!" {tummy poke} upset, Detroit losing to San Jose in 1994 was a stunning upset (still ranks as the worst ever from my perspective), Detroit losing to LA in 2001 was a big upset, Detroit losing to Anaheim in 2003 was a big upset, Detroit losing to Edmonton in 2006 was a big upset.

Phoenix has out played Detroit in all but 3 periods of hockey so far (1st period Game 1 and the 2nd and 3rd periods of Game 2). The only line Detroit has going in the Zettberg line and that wont be enough.

Howard isn't the reason they are behind, but he hasn't been great either. He is not making the "timely save", which is often the key to playoff success. The game winning goal in Game 1 and the 4th goal yesterday were particularly bad. I don't fault him for too many of the other goals, but he's overplaying things and hasn't looked sharp or all that confident.

I have only been able to watch one of the games so far (the last one), and the Wings look lazy and nonchalant. Howard needs to step his game up and other guys need to contribute more. Most importantly, we need to clamp down defensively, allowing 11 goals in 3 playoff games is absurd and a sure way to lose the series.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #156
boberot
High School Varsity

Well, shit.

Coming into this series, I knew everybody around here [WNY] was underestimating Boston, but I could never figure out why.

Now, without Vanek [who had something like 6 goals in 4 games], the Sabres are having to rely upon guys like Pominville and Connolly, and those are just NOT guys who will carry the team on their back.

The Bruins look faster, stronger, meaner and more determined.
The Sabres' muckers are the only ones who seem to be applying pressure and playing with anything that resembles urgency.

I wish like hell players and coaches weren't so nonchalant after losing game 3. I just dont get it.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #157
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Bruins' fans will know better than me, but this might have been the best match up for them (in the first round), just like NJ was for the Flyers. With the injuries to some key players for the Sabers on offense, it makes these games low scoring which Boston needs to advance. Boston was next to last in goals scored this year with 206, only 2 more than Calgary. With Vanek out and Stafford playing at less than 100%, that's around 18% of the Sabers scoring.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #158
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I hope the Nashville Police Department has issued a warning to all Nashville-area cab drivers.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #159
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Bruins' fans will know better than me, but this might have been the best match up for them (in the first round), just like NJ was for the Flyers.

Yep. The Bruins are playing their best hockey in months right now. I don't know what got into them. They still don't have much of an offense and guys like Lucic, Wheeler and Ryder haven't done much all season. Boychuk has really stepped up his game and so has Sobotka and, amazingly, Wideman has, too. Still, no Savard until later this series and no Seidenberg for the rest of the year, probably. Even if the Bruins win this series I don't see them going very far unless they go crazy and start scoring goals left and right, which I don't think will happen.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #160
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I feel like tonight is the night the Wings need to put back Dats/Z. They need something to light a fire under some of these guys.

Holmer - Dats - Z
Franzen - Fil - Bert
Cleary - Helm - Eaves
Abby - Draper - Miller

In a perfect world that is what I'd do. Light a spark.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #161
RendeR
Coordinator

Buck Foston.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #162
Logan
Head Coach

I've only been watching the Flyers and Devils for about 15 minutes now, and saw two penalties called against the Devils that seemed perfectly legit. But Emrick and Chico have spent the last 5 minutes going on about how the refs need to let these guys play and how the NHL is losing experienced refs who have better "sense" (Emrick's word). All the while trying to stress that they're not only talking about this game (now 4-1 Philly after a PP goal).

So has it been that bad or is this just homerism?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #163
MacroGuru
Coordinator

What a game between PIT and OTT, Neil is an ass and should have been booted a hell of a lot earlier than with 1:37 left in the game.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #164
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I've only been watching the Flyers and Devils for about 15 minutes now, and saw two penalties called against the Devils that seemed perfectly legit. But Emrick and Chico have spent the last 5 minutes going on about how the refs need to let these guys play and how the NHL is losing experienced refs who have better "sense" (Emrick's word). All the while trying to stress that they're not only talking about this game (now 4-1 Philly after a PP goal).

As much as I love Doc, I think this is homerism more than anything.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #165
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

In my opinion the officials in the last two games have been horrid for both sides. Jersey had 8 power plays last game and I think they had another 8 today. They are letting some stuff go then calling some head scratchers.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #166
Pyser
Pro Rookie

some homerism from me, but these games havent been that physical or chippy...and yet theyve all had about 15 minor penalties a game. seems excessive to me.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #167
Logan
Head Coach

thanks boys
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #168
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
What a game between PIT and OTT, Neil is an ass and should have been booted a hell of a lot earlier than with 1:37 left in the game.

I understand him being pissed when Malkin bumped him after the whistle was blown on a penalty call...but the same jackass yapped to the refs when he dumped Letang in the crease, AFTER he scored. How you can try justifying that to an official amazes me.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #169
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I understand him being pissed when Malkin bumped him after the whistle was blown on a penalty call...but the same jackass yapped to the refs when he dumped Letang in the crease, AFTER he scored. How you can try justifying that to an official amazes me.

He may be dumber than Scott Hartnell.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #170
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
In my opinion the officials in the last two games have been horrid for both sides. Jersey had 8 power plays last game and I think they had another 8 today. They are letting some stuff go then calling some head scratchers.

This going on in PIT-OTT too. Three 5-on-3 PP tonight, two for Ottawa. Yet a few times each way slashes resulting in broken sticks uncalled.

Also noticed twice this series so far (once game 1 on TV, once live game 2) a puck that pretty sure is up in the netting...and play continues. Four guys can't see this?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #171
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
He may be dumber than Scott Hartnell.

He tried to bite someone, but forgot he has no teeth.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #172
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He tried to bite someone, but forgot he has no teeth.

Who Matt Cooke? Is he biting again?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #173
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Who Matt Cooke? Is he biting again?

Cooke has twice as many teeth as Neil...4 to 2
Old 04-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #174
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Cooke has twice as many brain cells as Neil...4 to 2

This can apply too
Old 04-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #175
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Dan Boyle scores his second goal in as many games
Old 04-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #176
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
Well, shit.

Coming into this series, I knew everybody around here [WNY] was underestimating Boston, but I could never figure out why.

Now, without Vanek [who had something like 6 goals in 4 games], the Sabres are having to rely upon guys like Pominville and Connolly, and those are just NOT guys who will carry the team on their back.

The Bruins look faster, stronger, meaner and more determined.
The Sabres' muckers are the only ones who seem to be applying pressure and playing with anything that resembles urgency.

I wish like hell players and coaches weren't so nonchalant after losing game 3. I just dont get it.

I was at game 3 last night (and had some asshole fans next and behind me...Thankfully, the other Boston fans around us called them the same. )

The Sabres just don't seem to get it. You have to press and play hard for 60 minutes. They seem afraid to hitting and getting hit. And the powerplay. They need to knock off doing that fuckin' play they run every time. It doesn't WORK. You need to dump it in from the red line and go chase it.

Other then Montador, the D doen't seem to stick up for each other. Hank is the worst (and I think it wears off on Tyler Myers) at it.

Raask (spelling) was not on the best for the first two periods last nights. Lots of rebounds being coughed up. Then when the Sabres turned it on after that late 3rd period fight, he was on his game.

I did see the Sabres called up Cody McCormick today?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:18 AM   #177
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Sharks win. Series tied. I'm calling it now: they take the next two.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #178
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I was at game 3 last night (and had some asshole fans next and behind me...Thankfully, the other Boston fans around us called them the same. )

The Sabres just don't seem to get it. You have to press and play hard for 60 minutes. They seem afraid to hitting and getting hit. And the powerplay. They need to knock off doing that fuckin' play they run every time. It doesn't WORK. You need to dump it in from the red line and go chase it.

Other then Montador, the D doen't seem to stick up for each other. Hank is the worst (and I think it wears off on Tyler Myers) at it.

Raask (spelling) was not on the best for the first two periods last nights. Lots of rebounds being coughed up. Then when the Sabres turned it on after that late 3rd period fight, he was on his game.

They racked up a ton of hits in game one, were flying around with reckless abandon, played like their life depended on it -- and won.

I haven't really seen that much since then.

Wow, Cody McCormick? As a lifelong Sabres fan, I have never HEARD of McCormick -- but I see he has 163 PIM. That, to me, is sort of damning in that the Buffalo brass realize this group does not have the grit or toughness to get the job done. I am sickened that they don't stand up for each other. How has nobody gotten in Boychuk's face yet?!

Instead of bringing in a guy to provide a spark for the anemic offense, they bring in a guy who actually has some hair on his balls to stand up to Boston.

Huge game tonight.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #179
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Quote:
Wow, Cody McCormick? As a lifelong Sabres fan, I have never HEARD of McCormick -- but I see he has 163 PIM.

I had no idea that McCormick wasn't still in Colorado.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #180
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Both Carter and Gagne are out for the Flyers on Thursday.

If New Jersey can't win a "must win" game against a Brian Boucher-led Carter and Gagne-less Flyers team, they really have no business being in the playoffs.

The Capitals and Penguins seem to be head and shoulders above everyone else in the the East.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #181
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I don't see Jersey coming back from a 3-1 deficit. Maybe that makes me a bad fan, but...their history doesn't bode well for situations like this. But Philly is giving Boucher enough to work with that it negates him being there almost and as usual, they can't get the damn puck in the back of the net. Meh. Oh well.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-21-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #182
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So is tomorrow Illya Kovalchuck's final game in the NHL for a while?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #183
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
They racked up a ton of hits in game one, were flying around with reckless abandon, played like their life depended on it -- and won.

I haven't really seen that much since then.

Wow, Cody McCormick? As a lifelong Sabres fan, I have never HEARD of McCormick -- but I see he has 163 PIM. That, to me, is sort of damning in that the Buffalo brass realize this group does not have the grit or toughness to get the job done. I am sickened that they don't stand up for each other. How has nobody gotten in Boychuk's face yet?!

Instead of bringing in a guy to provide a spark for the anemic offense, they bring in a guy who actually has some hair on his balls to stand up to Boston.

Huge game tonight.

Did I hear Vanek was a possibility for tonight's game?

From what I've read, Savard has been cleared to play after tonight's game. That could be a HUGE offensive boost for the Bruins. He may not play a ton of ES time, but Savvy would be big on the PP. Truth be told though, I'm not sure I risk it on this year's playoffs. I'd rather he come back 100% next year.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #184
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Did I hear Vanek was a possibility for tonight's game?

From what I've read, Savard has been cleared to play after tonight's game. That could be a HUGE offensive boost for the Bruins. He may not play a ton of ES time, but Savvy would be big on the PP. Truth be told though, I'm not sure I risk it on this year's playoffs. I'd rather he come back 100% next year.

Vanek is doubtful, he didn't skate yesterday and isn't getting much better. Ellis is also becoming a game time decision.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #185
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Carter apparently done for the year. That hurts.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #186
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Vanek is doubtful, he didn't skate yesterday and isn't getting much better. Ellis is also becoming a game time decision.

Vanek could play. Ellis is out, which is why they called up Cody.

Glad to see you're getting into the Sabres.

I'll be nice being able to watch the game from the comfort of my couch and not to have the drunk "nacho" guys sitting behind and next me tonight like Monday night at the game.

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-21-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #187
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Gagne is out 3 weeks...Carter is out 6 weeks.

Here's your opening NJ.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-21-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #188
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Gagne is out 3 weeks...Carter is out 6 weeks.

Here's your opening NJ.

Come on...you can't steal one more game somehow??

At the very least, play Carcillo - Asham - Hartnell together long enough to hurt Brodeur.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #189
Galaxy
Coordinator

Man, can the refs suck more in the Boston-Buffalo game?

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-21-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #190
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I have been watching the Habs/Caps...but if they are anything like what I've seen in Philly/NJ and Pittsburgh/Ottawa...I feel your pain.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #191
miked
College Starter

Expecting the Devils to win a round 1 series when they are a 1 or 2 seed is like waiting for hot chick at the bar to come over and talk to you. As much as you wish it would happen, you'll be waiting a while.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #192
Galaxy
Coordinator

What an overtime and goalie showcase. Going to the second OT in Boston, despite the Bruins getting some calls to help them tie this game.

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-21-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #193
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
What an overtime and goalie showcase. Going to the second OT in Boston, despite the Bruins getting some calls to help them tie this game.

Couple of BS calls the Bruins received...this game should be over. Hell of an OT by the goalies though....Boston owes their GK a ton after the barrage he put up with at the beginning of OT.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #194
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Couple of BS calls the Bruins received...this game should be over. Hell of an OT by the goalies though....Boston owes their GK a ton after the barrage he put up with at the beginning of OT.

Yeah....And a couple of non-calls as well that went into Boston's favor. I can see why these two are the best goalies in the NHL right now.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #195
Galaxy
Coordinator

Crap...Penalty.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #196
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

WOW!!!

Hell of a game...way to go Bruins!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #197
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i can't figure out what Miller was doing coming out so far there with Satan having so much ice left to make that move...
Old 04-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #198
Galaxy
Coordinator

*Shakes head*
Old 04-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #199
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I believe that, once again, it appears Buffalo was built on cemetery or something because that city is cursed

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-21-2010 at 10:04 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #200
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I believe that, once again, it appears Buffalo was built on cemetery or something because that city is cursed

SI

It just pisses me off how we lose. Tonight, it was just horrible calls (and non-calls). Garbage calls.