Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #151
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I know this is the 2013 thread, but I'm behind the times.

Finished The Witcher 2 yesterday. One of the best games I've ever played. That being said, Chapter 3 was disappointingly short compared to the first two, and difficulty balancing was pretty weak throughout. What started as a very challenging game became a complete cakewalk about halfway through. The final two bosses in particular were disappointing in terms of difficulty. The story also wrapped up pretty weakly - for a game with a ton of political intrigue and mystery unravelling throughout, a simple dialogue at the end with thirty or so options simply narrated the loose ends to me. I almost expected him to say "and I would have gotten away with it too, of it weren't for you meddling kids."

Despite that, it was a phenomenal game that I would recommend highly to anyone.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #152
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

Finished The Witcher 2 yesterday. One of the best games I've ever played. That being said, Chapter 3 was disappointingly short compared to the first two, and difficulty balancing was pretty weak throughout. What started as a very challenging game became a complete cakewalk about halfway through. The final two bosses in particular were disappointing in terms of difficulty. The story also wrapped up pretty weakly - for a game with a ton of political intrigue and mystery unravelling throughout, a simple dialogue at the end with thirty or so options simply narrated the loose ends to me. I almost expected him to say "and I would have gotten away with it too, of it weren't for you meddling kids."

Vinny Two! Our paths (though divergent at one point) and feelings on this game are as one.

I just finished it on Friday night. My thoughts were exactly the same. The game peaked in Chapter 2 without a doubt and then completely fizzled near the end. Well, maybe not completely, but Chapter 3 wasn't all that. Short and not entirely compelling and the ending wasn't that powerful.

Still, an amazing game. Very enjoyable. A great, gritty RP world. A cast of very cool characters, even if very few are really all that likeable, great politics and plot twists.

Fun stuff.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #153
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

This qualifies under the 'Shut up and take my money' banner. Great game, and seems like a really cool company.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #154
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Microsoft is launching a big sale on the XBox 360 downloadable games.

Microsoft takes a cue from Steam, offers deep sale on downloadable games | Ars Technica
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #155
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Microsoft is launching a big sale on the XBox 360 downloadable games.

Microsoft takes a cue from Steam, offers deep sale on downloadable games | Ars Technica

Hilarious part of that article is the mention that the new Xbox will block used games. Does anyone really think that will happen after the PS4 conference where Sony brass said that they would not? Blocking used game play would be a death sentence for the new MS console.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #156
mckerney
Coordinator

Square Enix trademarked Deus Ex: Human Defiance - NeoGAF
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #157
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

Being even further behind than you, I just finished the first Witcher last night. Really enjoyed the story and characters which made it one of the best RPGs I've played, right up there with Dragon Age: Origins for modern games. The combat was disappointing to say the least though, especially the boss battles. The ending sequence of the epilogue felt like it should have had most of the combat cut though, especially since you were buffed with massive endurance regen so you could just spam igni until everything was dead. I am very happy to have read it's something that's greatly improved in Assassination of Kings.

I did think the ending was pretty good, I especially enjoyed
Spoiler

Downloaded The Witcher 2 as soon as I finished the first and am going to make sure my saved game imports, but I'm not sure I'm going to jump right into it. I might wait until after I finish Tomb Raider which I decided to preorder after reading the surprisingly good reviews and Amazon having it on sale for about $33. I'll probably play through the rest of the first episode of Kentucky Route Zero tonight, I played the first half hour or so which has been as good as advertised. I've also gotten sucked into BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner 2 since it came out.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #158
mckerney
Coordinator

And in what seems like in perfect timing, more Witcher 3 info.

Witcher 3 is 50 hours long: new previews offer fresh details | VG247
Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 AM   #159
mckerney
Coordinator

Some more evidence of Age of Empires 2 coming to Steam.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/commen...ming_to_steam/

Last edited by mckerney : 03-01-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #160
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Some more evidence of Age of Empires 2 coming to Steam.

Age of Empires 2 (very likely) coming to Steam. : Games
I used to love those monks in the game. These days I can't get into rts games though. I'm to damn slow
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #161
Drake
assmaster

Quote:

Can't tell you how thrilled I am that they scrapped QTE's. That was easily my least favorite part of Witcher 2.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #162
Dutch
"Dutch"

Having a ton of fun with "March of the Eagles" a Paradox-Lite strategy game set in the Napoleonic Era. Finally, a game that doesn't require a PHD in gameplay, is heavy on warfare, and just plain fun. It uses a Crusader Kings styled map.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #163
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Can't tell you how thrilled I am that they scrapped QTE's. That was easily my least favorite part of Witcher 2.

I despise quick time events. Even when done well (as far as QTEs go) they feel like lazy development to me. Witcher 2 was a big step forward as far as combat goes, but if they were to go to more Dark Souls/Demon Souls type boss encounters it could be amazing.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #164
samifan24
Pro Starter

I rented Crysis 3 from Redbox the other day and had a lot of fun. I'd never played any games in the series and still picked things up fairly quickly. I don't play a ton of shooters but thought this one was a lot of fun.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #165
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:

Ya know I loved the first one but I can't stand the combat in the second so most likely I'll pass on the third if the combat doesn't change.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #166
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Ya know I loved the first one but I can't stand the combat in the second so most likely I'll pass on the third if the combat doesn't change.

http://www.cvgworld.com/2013/03/03/t...he-deveolpers/

Quote:
The combat is somwhere in between the one of The Witcher 2 and the one of The Witcher 1. It is slower than in The Witcher 2, and requires more thought. The number of different strikes and combos increased fivefold, and they heavily depend on timing. If you press the button a second earlier, Geralt will strike in one way. A second later, in a different way.
And the developers said that, citing them, “Geralt will no longer turn his back on foes”.

Sounds like it will be changed but still closer to 2. Played through prologue yesterday and liked the combat more than in the original myself while playing it with a controller (after taking some time to get used to it getting immediately slaughtered at first on dark difficulty), though could definitely see how someone wanting to play it more like an isometric RPG wouldn't like it.

I didn't really like the first being it seemed like they went for somewhere between top down tactical and action rpgs, though it didn't really work for me. I like the switch to the arpg side of things, so am happy it looks like there are some good isometric rpgs on the way.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #167
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

A build site for PoE fans.

Exile Pro - Pro Path of Exile Builds
Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #168
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
A build site for PoE fans.

Exile Pro - Pro Path of Exile Builds

I'm afraid clicking on a site dedicated to the PoE build tree will require so much power that my PC will explode and my house will burn down.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #169
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Having a ton of fun with "March of the Eagles" a Paradox-Lite strategy game set in the Napoleonic Era. Finally, a game that doesn't require a PHD in gameplay, is heavy on warfare, and just plain fun. It uses a Crusader Kings styled map.

Thanks for mini-review Dutch, I've been on the fence about this - I usually pick up Paradox games but never really been into the Napoleonic era and wasn't sure where this fell on the fun vs. rules scale.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 03-03-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #170
mckerney
Coordinator

Thief 4 screenshots!

http://www.cvgworld.com/2013/03/05/f...ief-4-screens/

Played about an hour of Tomb Raider last night. It has a great PC version and so far seems more along the lines of Uncharted starting Lara Croft than following the previous games in the series, which makes me very happy.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #171
mckerney
Coordinator

Now in the Steam database, an entry for AOEII HD preorder.

AOEII HD Pre-Order · SubID: 26117 · Steam Apps Database

Not in the store yet, but hopefully it will be available soon.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-05-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #172
mckerney
Coordinator

I've been loving BIT.TRIP Runner2 so far. I don't think the rhythm runner platformer style game is for everyone, but for that kind of game the mechanics are absolutely perfect. About 10 hours in but still on the second of five worlds because I'm obsessed with getting a triple perfect plus on every level. The music and art are wonderful as well.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #173
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

AoE II coming to Steam.

Hidden Path Entertainment

I can dig it. Steam multiplayer

e: i guess I could have looked two posts up

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 03-07-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #174
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
AoE II coming to Steam.

Hidden Path Entertainment

I can dig it. Steam multiplayer

e: i guess I could have looked two posts up

It's actually in the store and officially announced now though. Preorder for $17.99, releases on April 9th though if you preorder you'll be able to play on the 5th.

Not just Steam multiplayer, but also Steam Workshop support.

Interesting that it's Steam exclusive and doesn't seem to have GFWL. Wonder if marks a change of their strategy on PC and if they'll stop pushing it going forward, and if it is could it mean they are still working on putting Halo 1, 2 and 3 on Steam.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-07-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #175
mckerney
Coordinator

Well this sucks.

Was planning on finishing Tomb Raider tonight though I ran into a bug where the next room won't load properly so I can't progress in the game. Prior to the whole game stopping bug the game had been awesome though, felt like a combo of Uncharted, FarCry 3 and Lost starring Lara Croft. Oh well, guess I'll start on chapter one of The Witcher 2 for now. Submitted a bug report and I guess I'll just have to wait for a fix before finishing TR.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #176
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, I've started a video games blog for those interested. My first column is up, and it's based on the next generation.. of PC games, not of consoles. I'd appreciate a look, a comment (Either here or there)

8 bit mind in a 64 Bit World

edit: Tommorrow's post is already in the can.. it's about ShamCity.. er.. SimCity

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-09-2013 at 12:58 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #177
Edward64
Head Coach

Space Rangers update. Supposedly Mar 15 but think for Russian version and English maybe later. But grateful for some/any news.

http://www.facebook.com/SpaceRangersHD
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #178
spleen1015
Coordinator

Did anyone pick up the StarCraft 2 expansion today?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #179
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, I'm out of town til next week though. Can't wait. Blizzard failed with Diablo, in my opinion, but SC2 was damn near perfect. Post release support has been great as well.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #180
mckerney
Coordinator

Far Cry 3 is great, but I really hate it when games that have driving in them don't let you switch between keyboard + mouse and game pad on the fly.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #181
mckerney
Coordinator

Matrix Games - What's Your Strategy?

Turn based strategy game set in WH40k universe is in the works.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #182
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Awesome! I've been waiting for one of those for a while now.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #183
mckerney
Coordinator

Another month of terrible sales for the Wii U, which makes me wonder even more what Nintendo was thinking launching a console without any of their big franchises in it. Not once game from the Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid or modern Mario franchises. Hell, even just their Skylanders style Pokemon game could have made for a good launch.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #184
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just picked up Tomb Raider, can't wait to dig into it tonight.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #185
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I just picked up Tomb Raider, can't wait to dig into it tonight.

I thought it was great, but anyone who hates QTEs and cutscenes probably won't like it. If you enjoyed Uncharted and are looking for an action movie like game where the line hero leaves a trail of bodies and destruction you should enjoy it.

One thing if you're going to start playing it, change your save slot every once in a while. There are a few bugs that can completely block you from progressing if you run into them. They seem pretty rare, but I ran into one and had to get someone else's save file to finish the game.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #186
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think I'm on the next to last quest before the end of Act III. Game continues to have huge maps and sometimes far too spread apart waypoints. I'm finding some nice places to do some farming on the later maps. I figure right now it is more about getting through the first two difficulty settings and then mostly farming the last one versus completing it although that does lead to end game Maps.

Trying to decide what my next character will be in terms of getting pushed. I will likely go non-witch for a change of pace but a summoner witch lurks. I already have a gem that gives a lightning aura to me and any teammates/minions. I was thinking it would be awesome for a melee, but having that aura on a bunch of minions might be too difficult to ignore. Some online videos of summoner builds are really not helping. I'm pretty pumped to play anything outside of a marauder for whatever reason. Maybe because they seem to use two handed weapons the most, which I'm lukewarm on.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #187
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I thought it was great, but anyone who hates QTEs and cutscenes probably won't like it. If you enjoyed Uncharted and are looking for an action movie like game where the line hero leaves a trail of bodies and destruction you should enjoy it.

One thing if you're going to start playing it, change your save slot every once in a while. There are a few bugs that can completely block you from progressing if you run into them. They seem pretty rare, but I ran into one and had to get someone else's save file to finish the game.

Thank you.. I'm about 45 mins in and I'm loving it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #188
mckerney
Coordinator

Saints Row 4 hits Aug. 20 in North*America | Polygon

Yes please.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #189
mckerney
Coordinator

Well, this looks about as good as i was expecting.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #190
mckerney
Coordinator

If I didn't know any better I'd have guess that game was around 10 years old.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #191
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Is it ok for me to continue pimping my video game blog here? I'm going to update my sig with it too, but, a bunch of enw articles, including one on a bunch of coming soon games (including a sports sequel to Frozen Synapse, and the Next Saints Row game)

Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #192
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Is it ok for me to continue pimping my video game blog here? I'm going to update my sig with it too, but, a bunch of enw articles, including one on a bunch of coming soon games (including a sports sequel to Frozen Synapse, and the Next Saints Row game)

I'm looking forward to seeing how Frozen Endzone turns out, but not sure what to expect from it at this point. It's a really enticing concept, but it looks like a game that needs to be done just right for it to work out. It seems like something that will either be amazing or a complete disaster.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #193
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Too bad Matrix will charge 59.99.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #194
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Too bad Matrix will charge 59.99.

Yup. Wait for the Christmas sale or hope it gets released on Steam.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #195
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Very expensive spot for Bioshock:Infinite just aired on The Walking Dead.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #196
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Anyone played Sword of the Stars: The Pit? Stumbled across it on Steam today and was intrigued, but not enough to plunk down $10. Seems like a rogue-like set in a sci-fi world.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #197
Thomkal
Head Coach

I have played the demo a tiny bit and liked it, but haven't bought it.

Total Biscuit seemed to like it:

â–º WTF Is... - Sword of the Stars: The Pit ? - YouTube
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #198
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I have played the demo a tiny bit and liked it, but haven't bought it.

Total Biscuit seemed to like it:

â–º WTF Is... - Sword of the Stars: The Pit ? - YouTube

I picked it up after watching this and was planning to play it this weekend but didn't get around to it.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #199
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Did anyone pick up the StarCraft 2 expansion today?

I have it. The campaign is top notch as usual. Can't wait to tinker with multiplayer, although I haven't played online in a looooong time.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #200
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is that Walking Dead game as bad as it looks?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote