Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #2001
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
LOL!

The relief of people saying Tyrion wasn't going go on a long boat ride turns to ash .

I think people would rather Griff and Young Griff be included if there was no Penny .

Well, we know that Tyrion will make it to Mereen before this season ends. So, we're still waaaay ahead of the books on this one. I don't mind a bit of a journey, so long as it's not too long and it's interesting.

Penny and games of cyvasse are not interesting. Some of the other stuff that happened with Tyrion and Mormont was kind of interesting. It's all a balance.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #2002
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

5 episodes until he potentially gets there .
Old 05-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #2003
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
5 episodes until he potentially gets there .

Given all the other plot lines they are juggling, sounds pretty reasonable. The scene in Old Valryia and with Drogon and the Stonemen were all great scenes. Visually stunning, moving, interesting.

I think Andy Greenwald at Grantland summed up just how great that whole scene was:

Quote:
Jorah and Tyrion’s slow boat to Valyria, the penultimate sequence in the gripping “Kill the Boy,” was a glorious piece of imaginative storytelling. It stirred my soul; it stole my breath. The ruins of an ancient, globe-straddling civilization rising up out of the placid waters reminded me of the glory years of Lost or a particularly trippy episode of Cosmos. Jeremy Podeswa, making his Thrones debut, kept his camera low, the better to gape at the collapsing coliseums and disintegrating castles of the empire that once ruled the known universe.

“For thousands of years they were the best in the world at almost everything,” Tyrion said of the Valryians — a powerful people who rode dragons for sport and birthed a dynasty that’s currently languishing in a Meereenese pyramid. “And then … and then they weren’t.” Nature had reclaimed nearly all that the Valyrians had built with a cruelly efficient beauty. The verse Tyrion quoted lingered on notions of futility (“The Doom consumed it all alike” is basically the Seven Kingdoms version of “Ozymandias”), and I found myself thinking of cemetery groundskeepers and how their job is to beat back the encroachment of life on carefully manicured monuments to death.

Of course, one can’t expect to have awe without some shock. (This is Game of Thrones, after all, not a Terrence Malick film.)...

Give me some more scenes like that over the next 5 episodes, and we're all good.

I love a good journey, so long as it's interesting and meaningful in some way to the story and/or characters. So far, Tyrion's journey on the show has done that. Unfortunately, much (not all) of Tyrion's journey in the book was neither interesting, nor meaningful. A lot of what happened (not all) in the book, wavered between boring to downright painful to read, and not in the good "Red Wedding" type of painful.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #2004
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I personally really enjoyed Tyrion's boat journey in the book, up to the point he was captured by Ser Jorah (well the capture was fun, but afterwards was meh). The gradual revealing of Griff and Young Griff actually being Jon Connington and Aegon, the journey through the Stone Men part of Valyria, the moment that Connington was like screw finding Dany and goes to the Golden Company and they accept... what did he offer, is it related to Blackfyre? Awesome stuff.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #2005
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ugh, show. Seriously... I mean yes marrying Sansa to Ramsey would have led to something like this... but this is why I hated the Sansa going to Winterfell plot.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #2006
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and of course Tyrion and Jorah get captured by slavers... is Penny long behind?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #2007
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ugh, show. Seriously... I mean yes marrying Sansa to Ramsey would have led to something like this... but this is why I hated the Sansa going to Winterfell plot.

Like I said in the other thread, so glad they didn't do what Ramsay did with Jeyne.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #2008
Grover
Pro Starter

I also feel like they're using Sansa's rape as a catapult to a Theon redemption arc. I don't like that.

The entire thing made me feel very uncomfortable.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #2009
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Oh, and of course Tyrion and Jorah get captured by slavers... is Penny long behind?

I doubt it. No Penny and no Tyrion tumbling around like a fool.

Hopefully, it will just be taking them to Mereen and the fighting pits.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #2010
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Like I said in the other thread, so glad they didn't do what Ramsay did with Jeyne.

But even then though (say you do a turn away with Jeyne as well - btw, didn't they show Jeyne as "fake Arya" earlier in the show [or was it just the books]? Whatever happened to that?), at the least it doesn't fuck up a character arc.

It seems the show has used rape to mess up at least two character arcs - Jaime's redemption and Sansa's cunning.

Quote:
I also feel like they're using Sansa's rape as a catapult to a Theon redemption arc. I don't like that.

They are indeed. Sansa is, at least in the show, once again just a pawn.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:45 AM   #2011
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, I keep waiting for Sansa to start DOING something, because they've been leading up to it for a while...and they keep dropping the ball.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #2012
sabotai
General Manager

The fighting pits scene (was it rewritten to basically be "pre-season"?) was comically bad. I guess they were running low on the CG budget or something and couldn't do an actual arena.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #2013
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It does seem though that at least one of the 3 cliffhangers from Dance with Dragons will be resolved by the show this season - The Battle of Winterfell. I bet they'll show us the actual victor.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-24-2015 at 09:22 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #2014
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
The fighting pits scene (was it rewritten to basically be "pre-season"?) was comically bad. I guess they were running low on the CG budget or something and couldn't do an actual arena.

It was like when Maximus had to start in a shitty backwater ring before getting to the Colisseum.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:01 AM   #2015
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Wasn't that the point though? Hizdahr even mentioned that it was tradition to visit the lower fighting pits to pay respects while they walked up.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:03 AM   #2016
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
It was like when Maximus had to start in a shitty backwater ring before getting to the Colisseum.

However I was entertained.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #2017
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
It does seem though that at least one of the 3 cliffhangers from Dance with Dragons will be resolved by the show this season - The Battle of Winterfell. I bet they'll show us the actual victor.

Please be Stannis.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #2018
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Please be Stannis.

Word.

Though I wonder if it even could be possible that Ramsey wins, story wise. In the books, after all, Sansa is no where near the North. Jon has been stabbed (though we all expect he comes back). Theon is with Stannis. Asha/Yaya is with Stannis. If Ramsey wins, the entire North (below the Wall that is) is just a super boring story line with no POV characters.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #2019
sabotai
General Manager

It would be one way to eliminate a bunch of POV characters as he tries to head towards the end of the series.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #2020
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The boltons winning and really horrible things happening is probably one of the things that I would least want to have happen. So based on past history every single plot turn causing me anguish, I am just holding my breath waiting for stannis to lose and Ramsey find some way to take super uncomfortableness to a new level.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #2021
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
The boltons winning and really horrible things happening is probably one of the things that I would least want to have happen. So based on past history every single plot turn causing me anguish, I am just holding my breath waiting for stannis to lose and Ramsey find some way to take super uncomfortableness to a new level.

I'm not convinced that Stannis will win. However, Dany has to be part of the winner's circle eventually.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #2022
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Yeah, that wasn't the actual scene from the books. That was a low-level, cheap little side of the road pit. As noted above, it was explained.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:36 AM   #2023
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

As much as I loved finally seeing Dany and Tyrion meet face-to-face, I feel like it was the first thing that I really would have liked to have read first before seeing.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #2024
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It would be one way to eliminate a bunch of POV characters as he tries to head towards the end of the series.

Not necessarily. The only POV characters in Stannis's camp at the moment is Theon/Reek and Asha. Remember that Davos is out in Skagos trying to find Rickon to bring back to Wyman Manderly.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #2025
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Thinking about this... the show could totally do the Bastard's Letter as a cliffhanger for the season. Episode 9 be the Battle of Winterfell, leave it as inconclusive, and then in Episode 10, Jon returns to Castle Black, gets the letter and decides to march on Winterfell, leading to the Mutiny of Castle Black (though it won't be nearly as powerful as you won't have a crying Donal Noye saying "For the Watch" as he does it).
Old 05-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #2026
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm still betting episode 10 will be titled "For the Watch"
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #2027
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Huh, I guess I could have looked for episode titles to find out what was going to happen...

Ep 8 is "Hardholme" - ie, where Jon is going to meet with Rattleshirt.

Ep 9 is "The Dance of Dragons" - so I guess the big scene is going to be focused on the Grand Fighting Pit and not the Battle of Winterfell - but usually Ep 9 of a season has one major focus. Maybe they'll split the focus?
Old 05-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #2028
Grover
Pro Starter

Where was Cersei left off in the books?

The last I remember is her being marched naked through the streets.

Interesting that they were able to skip the entire Kettleblacks plotline through the use of Lancel.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #2029
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Cersei basically realizes that while she felt she could do the walk head held high, that this completely takes away her power. She understands that she becomes a laughing stock to the people and therefore her ability to lead is compromised. Kevan starts basically running things, along with Grand Maester Pycelle.

At the end of Dance it appears that Cersei has to be forced into leading again, but now her confidence is shot and she has no respect from anyone.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #2030
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Cersei basically realizes that while she felt she could do the walk head held high, that this completely takes away her power. She understands that she becomes a laughing stock to the people and therefore her ability to lead is compromised. Kevan starts basically running things, along with Grand Maester Pycelle.

At the end of Dance it appears that Cersei has to be forced into leading again, but now her confidence is shot and she has no respect from anyone.

Ah, yes.

I'm assuming they really won't need to use Kevan, now that they have Tommen of ruling age.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #2031
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Crud... that takes away my favorite chapter of Dance

(though maybe Kevan comes back to help Tommen and express outrage at the Faith Militant?)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-26-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #2032
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Crud... that takes away my favorite chapter of Dance

(though maybe Kevan comes back to help Tommen and express outrage at the Faith Militant?)

One is hoping.

As an aside, I love Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow.

He comes across as both completely reasonable and terrifying at the same time.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #2033
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I don't think we'll see a Kevan with no Varys around.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #2034
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I don't think we'll see a Kevan with no Varys around.

Maybe Varys will decide to head back to King's Landing since he lost Tyrion and hang around in disguise like Lando at Jabba's Palace.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #2035
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:

Interesting take. I remember walking away from the end thinking that Cersei is going to go absolutely apeshit and lay waste to the place. I see a similar fate as the Mad King ending in her future.

Also, and this thought came to me out of the blue, but does anyone else think that Varys may be apart of The Many Face dudes? His ability to float in and out of trouble is well documented, although not he's not really disappearing like Jaqar (or whatever his name is). And he relies on his contacts, which is the exact opposite of them as well. Bah, nevermind
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #2036
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Maybe Varys will decide to head back to King's Landing since he lost Tyrion and hang around in disguise like Lando at Jabba's Palace.
I'm still waiting for the Pycelle scene that justifies the one showing him faking the extent of his infirmities.

Had another thought while posting in the GoT thread - is Jorah now in line to release Dany's dragons or somehow help save her at the fighting pits? I mean, he'll likely be in the same dungeons, and now with his greyscale he's got added motivation to make a huge sacrifice sometime soon.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:57 PM   #2037
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Did Jorah get greyscale in the book?
Old 05-26-2015, 11:18 PM   #2038
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Did Jorah get greyscale in the book?

No, Jon Connington was the one with greyscale. In the books, Jorah took Tyrion after his (Tyrion's) encounter with the stone men.

Last edited by sabotai : 05-26-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:21 PM   #2039
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

And if you're unfamiliar with the books, Jon Connington is obviously not in the show.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #2040
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Had another thought while posting in the GoT thread - is Jorah now in line to release Dany's dragons or somehow help save her at the fighting pits? I mean, he'll likely be in the same dungeons, and now with his greyscale he's got added motivation to make a huge sacrifice sometime soon.

Jorah may take on Barristan Selmy's role. After Drogon rescues Dany at the fighting pits, Jorah may declare himself Hand of the Queen and lead the defense of Meereen - then again, we haven't seen any evidence that the Wise Masters of Yunkai are buying an army to retake Meereen.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #2041
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The casting news for Season 6 seems to indicate that Euron is finally coming to the show... (hopefully they also cast Victarion).

Season 6 Game of Thrones Casting News Brings a Long-Buried Plot Back from the Dead | Vanity Fair

It also appears that the Tarlys may be showing up. Sam to Oldtown was bound to happen at some point, I figure.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #2042
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Jorah may take on Barristan Selmy's role. After Drogon rescues Dany at the fighting pits, Jorah may declare himself Hand of the Queen and lead the defense of Meereen - then again, we haven't seen any evidence that the Wise Masters of Yunkai are buying an army to retake Meereen.
I always thought Tyrion would be that one, with Jorah now filling the Quentyn Martell role, but maybe he'll also take on Sir Belwas' and save her from an assassination attempt before the real one at the pit.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #2043
sabotai
General Manager

If they cast for Euron, I guess that would answer the Euron = Daario theory (unless they explain his different appearance with magic and Daario soon makes an exit from Meereen.)
Old 05-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #2044
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Here's my predictions:

1. Jon dies in Episode 8 and we don't see him for the rest of the season. He gets revived (or something) by an all-powerful Bran in Season 6, however, and something something Rickon.

2. Episode 9 has Jorah (who looks pretty desperate) fulfilling Quentyn's BBQ role and ending with Dany and Drogon flying off. We either don't see her again this season (which really fucks show-watchers off) or we do, but it's at the end of Episode 10 when she's found by the blood riders.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #2045
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I never even thought of Jorah as Quentyn, but that's brilliant.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:48 AM   #2046
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hardhome, Dance of Dragons, and Mother's Mercy are the last 3 episode names.

I was REALLY expecting 9 or 10 to be For the Watch. I'm guessing 9 is when Dany flies off, 10...not sure now.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #2047
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Can we make Daaario as Quentyn?

I'd actually prefer if Jorah stuck around. Dany, Jorah, Tyrion, and perhaps Varys would actually make an interesting dynamic rather than the usual boring Dany storyline.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #2048
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

10 has to be Arya, right?
Old 05-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #2049
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Hardhome, Dance of Dragons, and Mother's Mercy are the last 3 episode names.

I was REALLY expecting 9 or 10 to be For the Watch. I'm guessing 9 is when Dany flies off, 10...not sure now.

Not saying this is going to happen, but... in the Appendix of A Feast for Crows:

Quote:
LADY STONEHEART, a hooded woman, sometimes called MOTHER MERCY, THE SILENT SISTER, and THE HANGWOMAN

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-30-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #2050
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

As a storyline that I and my roommate have been very sad to have seen left off, that would be an awesome cliffhanger.