Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2023, 09:29 AM   #2001
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Planting my flag so I can come back and look at why I tend not to gamble actual money too often

Seahawks +9.5 over 49ers.: The 49ers are the hottest/best team in the NFC. But division games are tough, and 9.5 is a lot. And the Seahawks are playing with house money and then some.

Jaguars +2.5 over Chargers: It feels like the Chargers coaching has let them down all season. And the playoffs are when coaching really matters. Also, Peterson has been here before and will do what he needs to get his team ready.

Bills -13.5 over Dolphins: This goes against everything I said above about division games. But I think that the Bills, Chiefs, and Bengals are on another level right now. I'd love to see this game if Tua were playing. And, in that case, I might take the Dolphins +9.5 or whatever that line would be. But I think that this might get ugly early.

Giants +3 over Vikings: The Vikings might be the first ever 13-win team that people legitimately don't believe in (I seem to recall one year where the Patriots had, like, 13 wins and Brady gave some angry press conference about how everyone thought they sucked, but that was just weird Brady being weird Brady, and no one actually thought they sucked). I don't have a great feel for this game. I do think that the Giants will have some funky tricks they have been saving. And I'll just take the three points.

Ravens +8.5 over Bengals: The Bengals are good. Really good. But so is John Harbaugh. And a division game. And over a touchdown spread. I'll take the points.

Cowboys -2.5 over Bucs: Less than a field goal? I know all the Mike McCarthy jokes. But the Bucs aren't good. And I sort of get the sense that Brady is ready for the season to end so he can go finish his career in San Fran or with McDaniels in Vegas.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 12:04 PM   #2002
bhlloy
Coordinator

Seems like with Jackson out your Bills/Dolphins take and your Bengals/Ravens take don't really line up.

I think if it's Brown then it's an absolute boat race and even if it's Huntley then it's easily a 2 score game, but I'm also terrible at betting real money so let's see.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:57 PM   #2003
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think the Bengals destroy the Ravens and whomever their QB is. Burrow deserves to be mentioned with Mahomes and Allen. He is so stinking good.

I want to say the Cowboys win but it is hard to discount years of Brady magic and Mike McCarthy being completely incompetent.

That 13.5 is a scary number for the BIlls, the back door will be wide open at the end of that game.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 02:23 PM   #2004
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Seems like with Jackson out your Bills/Dolphins take and your Bengals/Ravens take don't really line up.

I think if it's Brown then it's an absolute boat race and even if it's Huntley then it's easily a 2 score game, but I'm also terrible at betting real money so let's see.

You are right. I am gonna stick to it, but I'm having buyers remorse.

I think that I just have a lot of historical respect for the Ravens organization generally and Harbaugh in particular and that shaded my view.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:35 PM   #2005
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

14-13 Seahawks so far.

The 49ers feel like they’ve been dominating this game. But settling for fuel goals after long drives in the first half always seems to come back and bite a team. Still seems like they may end up pulling away before it is all said and done.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:16 PM   #2006
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I knew this game wasn't going to be close. I convinced my boss to take 49ers and give the points (it was around 10 as I recall).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:14 PM   #2007
Thomkal
Head Coach

Not a bad effort by the last player taken in the draft...
Old 01-14-2023, 08:40 PM   #2008
bronconick
College Starter

Trevor Lawrence 5-18, 35 yards, 4 INT so far. Could've used some of that in college.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:03 PM   #2009
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Took the Jags in game +900 to win
Old 01-14-2023, 09:13 PM   #2010
Ksyrup

Al Michaels is a shit game magnet this year.

Although Jax has a bit of an opening here if they can get a TD on this drive. 27-14 with plenty of time in the 3rd is not insurmountable.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-14-2023, 10:14 PM   #2011
Atocep
Coordinator

The officiating in this game has been awful
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:16 PM   #2012
Ksyrup

Yep.

Apparently when Joey Bosa was called offsides they were looking at his nose.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:20 PM   #2013
Ksyrup

After the Mike Williams injury debacle last week, if they blow a 27 point lead, LA may also be interviewing Harbaugh.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:24 PM   #2014
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hate the pass on 3rd and one. Have 2 chances to get it. HAve to run there.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:28 PM   #2015
Ksyrup

Why wouldn't LA use their TO? You at least force Jax to take a knee and go backwards 2-3 more yards.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:28 PM   #2016
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Why run it down to :03? Run it to :10, tell the Holder that if it's a bad snap, to throw it away. Now, a bad snap, game over.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:29 PM   #2017
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Guys.

I just won a lot of money
Old 01-14-2023, 10:45 PM   #2018
RainMaker
General Manager

How do you lose a game when you are +5 in turnovers? Fire Staley and pay Payton whatever he wants.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:54 PM   #2019
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Guys.

What was the score when you placed that bet?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:57 PM   #2020
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Planting my flag so I can come back and look at why I tend not to gamble actual money too often

Seahawks +9.5 over 49ers.: The 49ers are the hottest/best team in the NFC. But division games are tough, and 9.5 is a lot. And the Seahawks are playing with house money and then some.

Jaguars +2.5 over Chargers: It feels like the Chargers coaching has let them down all season. And the playoffs are when coaching really matters. Also, Peterson has been here before and will do what he needs to get his team ready..

So until about 11:18 EST you thought you were starting 0-2...
Old 01-14-2023, 10:57 PM   #2021
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
What was the score when you placed that bet?

Placed at halftime, so 27-7 IIRC.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:01 AM   #2022
molson
General Manager

That was a better move than this guy

https://twitter.com/br_betting/statu...C8xffE6ecsAAAA

Or this guy

https://twitter.com/ActionNetworkHQ/...htmode%3Dfalse
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 12:03 AM   #2023
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone who watched that game had to know the Jags were still in it. Hell, anyone who has watched football the last 30 years knows if any team would blow that it was the Chargers.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:24 AM   #2024
RainMaker
General Manager

Anyone know why Bosa wasn't ejected? I thought it was 2 unsportsmanlike penalties. Also really weird they had him on the bench a lot on that final drive.
Old 01-15-2023, 06:54 AM   #2025
Ksyrup

The NBC officiating guy said only certain types of unsportsmanlike penalties actually count toward ejections which I had never heard until last night.
Old 01-15-2023, 07:47 AM   #2026
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Guys.

I’m picturing you being carried around like the Jags’ kicker with that big smile on your face
Old 01-15-2023, 08:41 AM   #2027
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Fire Staley and pay Payton whatever he wants.

If McCarthy does something similar on Monday night, then the bidding war between Jones and Spanos for Payton will be epic.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:45 AM   #2028
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Anyone know why Bosa wasn't ejected? I thought it was 2 unsportsmanlike penalties. Also really weird they had him on the bench a lot on that final drive.

Now the benching was really interesting. I don't think it will matter too much moving forward but that felt like Staley knew that Bosa was uncontrollable last night. It reminded me of a soccer manager subbing a player off because he knows the player is going to get the second yellow or a baseball manager sprinting out to get between a player and an umpire so that player does not get ejected.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:11 AM   #2029
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Anyone who watched that game had to know the Jags were still in it. Hell, anyone who has watched football the last 30 years knows if any team would blow that it was the Chargers.

I took the Jags (the only underdog in my bet) in a parlay yesterday thinking exactly that, IE the Chargers will find a way to blow it. Turned on the game and 4 picks in and a punt muff off the top of the head , I was wondering what the hell was goin on? Still in the back of my mind was just get it to 27-7 and you have a chance

The Lions are smiling thinking "that used to be us"
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:24 AM   #2030
Thomkal
Head Coach

Man went to bed thinking Chargers were going to win...
Old 01-15-2023, 09:55 AM   #2031
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Also kind of neat to see a direct connection between Bosa being a whiney baby and his team losing.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:56 AM   #2032
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: If they trade him this offseason, the cap hit is very manageable.

Might be worth seeing if some team is willing to sell the farm for him.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:16 AM   #2033
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Also kind of neat to see a direct connection between Bosa being a whiney baby and his team losing.

As a coach, I was livid at his selfishness, he would have never been on the field for that second penalty to happen, but then again it speaks of how coaches have handled him in the past that causes this type of behavior to occur so easily in such a big game. His post game comments were hardly as harsh as they should have been either.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:18 AM   #2034
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed
The Lions are smiling thinking "that used to be us"

Back in the good old days when they were able to make the playoffs once every few years to even get to the point where they could blow a game like that.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 11:51 AM   #2035
miked
College Starter

I mean, some of that is coaching, yes. But what can you do if your normally reliable kicker misses a 35 yard FG. That changed the game completely. Of course, a 3 and out with 4 minutes left is pretty horrible.

Also, that seemed to be one of the worst officiated games I've seen. So many holding non calls on the Jags, so many DPI/holding non calls on the Chargers. It was out of control.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:06 PM   #2036
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I mean, some of that is coaching, yes. But what can you do if your normally reliable kicker misses a 35 yard FG. That changed the game completely. Of course, a 3 and out with 4 minutes left is pretty horrible.

When you blow a 27 point lead you can't look to any one specific play or call. That is a complete failure from top to bottom, and that's on the head coach.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:20 PM   #2037
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Unbelievable catch by Dawson Knox
Old 01-15-2023, 12:22 PM   #2038
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Dolphins defense makes a great stop on the Bills first drive.

Skylar actually makes a terrific deep throw. Waddle drops it.

Dolphins have the Bills backed up to 3rd and 15.

Allen hits Diggs deep and scores on next play.

Gonna be a long day. Miami is clearly fired up, but blowing these chances is not how you pull off an upset.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 12:53 PM   #2039
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Congrats!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 12:55 PM   #2040
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If the Chargers' loss yesterday was an abberation, that would be one thing, but this is just the latest in a series of poor decisions and poorly managed games. I can't see how any owner can look at Staley's work so far and decide to stand pat. Especially when they have a legit stud QB.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 01:53 PM   #2041
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I know the Dolphins are probably just setting me up for 2nd half disappointment, but this has definitely turned into a fun game.

Old 01-15-2023, 02:01 PM   #2042
Ksyrup

The Athletic article about the Chargers game last night was interesting. Williams' injury had a trickle-down effect because the guy who normally runs the end around that they tried with Bandy wasn't in that place because he was Williams' replacement, and that play pretty much kick-started the comeback.

3rd and short, under 90 seconds left in the half, and they tried a WR sweep which had been run 4 times for NEGATIVE 21 YARDS all year, and then they tried it with a guy who was elevated from the practice squad and didn't know the play. That's why he didn't even attempt to take the hand-off, he was trying to get out of the way because he didn't know the play call was for him! So they fumbled, he recovered it, but it forced them to punt and the Jags ended up scoring to make it 27-7. The rest is history.
Old 01-15-2023, 02:11 PM   #2043
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I know the Dolphins are probably just setting me up for 2nd half disappointment, but this has definitely turned into a fun game.

Agreed. I think the likely equilibrium here is still a 10-17 pt Buffalo win, but Buffalo is good enough to pave pretty good teams sometimes, this won't feel like a disgrace especially given the QB situation. Heads held high, even if they lose.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:19 PM   #2044
Ksyrup

WTH is going on?!
Old 01-15-2023, 02:21 PM   #2045
Thomkal
Head Coach

Buffalo choking
Old 01-15-2023, 02:54 PM   #2046
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Agreed. I think the likely equilibrium here is still a 10-17 pt Buffalo win, but Buffalo is good enough to pave pretty good teams sometimes, this won't feel like a disgrace especially given the QB situation. Heads held high, even if they lose.

I think this is (unfortunately) probably the correct take.
Old 01-15-2023, 03:24 PM   #2047
bhlloy
Coordinator

Really impressive game plan on both sides of the ball by Miami
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:26 PM   #2048
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Thompson drops back too far.
Old 01-15-2023, 03:36 PM   #2049
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Ugh these wasted timeouts are killer.

Old 01-15-2023, 03:44 PM   #2050
RainMaker
General Manager

If you can't get plays in on time you should let a coordinator call plays.