Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #2001
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
There's nothing Vilma can do at this point to salvage his reputation among the fans of 31 NFL teams. He's seen as a bounty-hunting-SOB and will be for the rest of his career. Might as well play it up.

My favorite hypocrisy in the whole thing is that the players have admitted they got paid for hits that took a player off the field for one or more plays (during the whole discussion over what the ledger terms meant). In other words, THEY GOT PAID FOR INJURING OTHER PLAYERS! Case closed.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #2002
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Clinton Portis officially retires.

Clinton Portis retires from Redskins and pro football with tears and memories - The Insider - The Washington Post
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #2003
RedKingGold
College Starter

Jim Irsay is a buffoon, it kinda pissa me off that he ended up with both Manning and Luck falling into his lap.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #2004
Logan
Head Coach

Very surprised but very happy to see Jason McCourty, a former 6th round pick, get $43 million over 5 years with $20 million guaranteed.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #2005
Rizon
Pro Starter

TO ... doing what he does best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #2006
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Jim Irsay is a buffoon, it kinda pissa me off that he ended up with both Manning and Luck falling into his lap.

Im on record last year saying that Luck was the most polished QB coming into the NFL since Peyton. So, youre right on the Irsay.

Then again, I was not very high on Matt Ryan and didnt think that Newton would have the rookie year he achieved.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #2007
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

I wonder if he has a deal in place for Mike Wallace. It makes sense from a football standpoint. With Austin Collie getting another concussion, the Colts are thin at WR. They have 33 year old Reggie Wayne and who else? Donnie Avery (who has a thigh injury)? LaVon Brazill? TY Hilton? There's not a lot of weapons for Luck to throw to. Bringing in a proven burner like Wallace gives him a new toy and Wallace is young enough to stick around while Luck matures. Pro Bowl WRs with that kind of speed don't grow on trees.

So the Colts cough up a 2 and a 4 next year and get Wallace, who they sign to a long term deal. What do the Steelers get out of this?

The Steelers, who will struggle to resign Wallace next year due to a lack of cap room, get more compensation than they would if he walks during FA (they'd get a 3rd) and get rid of a potential distraction. With Brown, Sanders and Cotchery, they still have talent at the WR position and Haley seems wants more of a running game in the 'Burgh anyway. The Steelers have never been afraid to let guys walk when they wanted more than they were worth. That saves the money for them to resign Keenan Lewis (who will be a UFA next year and is claiming the role of CB #2 this year) and a few other contributors.

So Irsay is talking about a BIG trade, and Wallace is coming in to Pittsburgh to sign his $2.7 RFA tender this weekend...the timing is kind of interesting.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #2008
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Russell Wilson is legit
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #2009
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Matt Forte doesn't seem to fit this new look Bears offense.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #2010
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Clearly that Thigpen dude returning kicks for the Dolphins never played NFL2k on the Dreamcast. The Falcons kicker angled the kick toward the sidelines and Thigpen caught it with one foot out of bounds on his own one yard line, leaving Miami with awful field position. Anyone who had played this game would know to let the kick drop and go out of bounds as it was a well-known way to exploit the AI and inexperienced human opponents.

edit: refs changed the call and Miami got the ball on the 40 somehow, I have the commentary muted as I'm listening to music so I didn't hear the explanation though

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-24-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #2011
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Russell Wilson is legit

I thought he'd be a very valuable backup that could become a starter, but I didn't think he'd look this good. He impressed the hell out of me in college and I'm happy he's doing well.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #2012
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

thank you CBS for reaffirming my hatred for dierdorf. does that ass kissing, excuse making, blowhard ever shut his fucking mouth? id rather change the channel
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #2013
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Gonna be a long year in KC.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #2014
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Pats offensive line is fucking brutal. Brady almost died.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #2015
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

They are also one team that never seems to take the preseason all that seriously.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #2016
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
They are also one team that never seems to take the preseason all that seriously.

I'd expect them to take pass-blocking for their MVP-caliber QB seriously no matter what time of year it is.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #2017
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Remember last year in game 3 of the pre-season when they got destroyed by the Lions? Brady was getting hammered in that game too. They really don't care.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #2018
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Russell Wilson is legit

How do you not make the guy your starter after 3 straight performances where he basically took the team down for scores every time they had the ball?

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #2019
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
How do you not make the guy your starter after 3 straight performances where he basically took the team down for scores every time they had the ball?

This.

If I'm Seattle, I'm putting the best player on the field not the one who makes the most money.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #2020
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Remember last year in game 3 of the pre-season when they got destroyed by the Lions? Brady was getting hammered in that game too. They really don't care.

I guess I had forgotten about that.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #2021
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It's really cool to have the Fins on Hard Knocks, but it is not filling me with confidence for the upcoming season.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #2022
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Was looking for old NFL PrimeTime music and ran across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJI5pKtMrk&t=4m4s

I think I completely missed this week- hard to believe since I watched NFL Primetime religiously- or just forgot about it. Basically, it's the end of the 1999 season when Carolina and Green Bay were point differential apart trying to get the last playoff spot.

This is one of NFL Primetime's finest hours: no other media to watch multiple games but they spliced it together perfectly (Berman kindof spoils the ending about a minute from the end, but still...)

Cannot find this song, tho and it's driving me nuts.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-25-2012 at 12:21 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #2023
PilotMan
Head Coach

Good god, Mike Tomlin's injury rating must be poor. This is going to be one long ass year at this rate. I have a feeling that the Rooney's gambled too much on pass and run and didn't have the team spend enough time in the weight room to counteract Tomlin's poor rating. Sux.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:30 AM   #2024
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Dez Bryant Rules

Cowboys set rules for Dez Bryant
By Calvin Watkins
ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant has agreed to strict guidelines from team officials regarding his conduct away from the field.

The guidelines Bryant agreed to took effect Aug. 23 when the team returned to Dallas after three weeks of training camp in California, according to sources.

Sources say some of the rules Bryant must abide are as follows:

• A midnight curfew. If he's going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance;

• No drinking alcohol.

• He can't attend any strip clubs and can only attend nightclubs if they are approved by the team and he has a security team with him.

• He must attend counseling sessions twice a week.

• A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.

• Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.

Bryant's adviser, David Wells, will hire the security team for the wide receiver.

"Oh yeah, very much willing to do anything he can to help himself and help the team," Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said of Bryant. "He's very open-minded and cooperative. He's doing the right things by his teammates and everybody is counting on him."

The rules stem from a July 14 incident where Bryant was charged with allegedly assaulting his mother, Angela Bryant. Bryant was charged with a Class A misdemeanor by the DeSoto Police Department.

The Dallas County district attorney's office hasn't decided if it will pursue charges.

On July 25, Bryant's attorney, Texas state senator Royce West, said at a news conference the receiver didn't commit any violence against his mother.

A spokeswoman for the Dallas district attorney's office said it's still reviewing the case and it's treating it like any other domestic violence complaint. Bryant's mother filed an affidavit of non-prosecution from the complaint. The affidavit means the complainant, Angela Bryant, doesn't want the case to proceed.

"They ask that there not be a rush to judgement concerning their family," West said July 25. "They also ask for your continued prayers and support for their family as they work through this matter."

Police issued the arrest warrant for Bryant after he allegedly hit his mother in the face with a baseball cap. The police affidavit said Bryant grabbed his mother by her T-shirt, causing her bra to tear.

According to the DeSoto Police Department, Bryant is charged with a Class A misdemeanor for assaulting a female family member and after he turned himself in, was released a few hours later without talking with police.

Bryant, who hasn't been made available to reporters during training camp, is out because of a knee injury, though he's expected to be ready for the regular season opener on Sept. 5.

The Cowboys have a history of dealing with troubled players, most recently cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones and nose tackle Tank Johnson. However, Adam Jones got into a fight with one of his team-issued body guards and eventually was suspended by the league. When he returned, he didn't have any further incidents as a member of the Cowboys.

Jerry Jones said the Cowboys have placed restrictions on other players previously and when asked if this is the strictest of rules for a player he said, "No this is (not) the strictest at all."

So far this preseason, coach Jason Garrett said Bryant has been outstanding in practices, and there have been no issues regarding him being late to meetings, practices or games. Bryant did switch agents, leaving Drew Rosenhaus and returning to Eugene Parker.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #2025
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This level of oversight for a player is just plain stupid. If he doesn't realize the opportunity he has and doesn't want it bad enough to clean up his own act the Cowboys should just cut him and move on. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to for one player who frankly hasn't performed to expectation. Jerry Jones will never get it.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #2026
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

He assaulted his own mother??

What a fucking scumbag.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #2027
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Was looking for old NFL PrimeTime music and ran across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJI5pKtMrk&t=4m4s

I think I completely missed this week- hard to believe since I watched NFL Primetime religiously- or just forgot about it. Basically, it's the end of the 1999 season when Carolina and Green Bay were point differential apart trying to get the last playoff spot.

This is one of NFL Primetime's finest hours: no other media to watch multiple games but they spliced it together perfectly (Berman kindof spoils the ending about a minute from the end, but still...)

Cannot find this song, tho and it's driving me nuts.

SI

I remember that week really well. I wonder how many fans at the games knew why the offenses were running hurry-up in the 4th quarter already up big.

Last edited by molson : 08-26-2012 at 09:38 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #2028
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Jerry Jones said the Cowboys have placed restrictions on other players previously and when asked if this is the strictest of rules for a player he said, "No this is (not) the strictest at all."

Pacman seems the obvious choice. Michael Irvin, maybe?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #2029
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
This level of oversight for a player is just plain stupid. If he doesn't realize the opportunity he has and doesn't want it bad enough to clean up his own act the Cowboys should just cut him and move on. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to for one player who frankly hasn't performed to expectation. Jerry Jones will never get it.

Quote:
He assaulted his own mother??

What a fucking scumbag.

Sounds like a textbook alcoholic.

This one just happens to be very good at football.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #2030
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The T.O. time in Seattle is over.

Terrell Owens tweets that he’s been released by Seahawks | ProFootballTalk
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #2031
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Good god, Mike Tomlin's injury rating must be poor. This is going to be one long ass year at this rate. I have a feeling that the Rooney's gambled too much on pass and run and didn't have the team spend enough time in the weight room to counteract Tomlin's poor rating. Sux.

So DeCastro tears his MCL and has some Patellar Tendon damage. So much for the big, rebuilt offensive line.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #2032
Izulde
Head Coach

Vontae Davis traded for two undisclosed picks

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #2033
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Vontae Davis traded for two undisclosed picks

2013 2nd rounder and a conditional late pick according to Irsay's twitter. Any Dolphin fans want to chime in on Davis?
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #2034
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I would have loved the Bengals to make that deal with one of their two 2nd round picks.

For the Dolphins, I'm not sure the trade first round picks for second round picks is a good long term strategy.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #2035
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
2013 2nd rounder and a conditional late pick according to Irsay's twitter. Any Dolphin fans want to chime in on Davis?

I've been pretty disappointed in his play. So I'll say it's a good deal for Miami in the long run.

Peyton Manning looks like Peyton Manning against the 49ers.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #2036
Izulde
Head Coach

I'll echo BillJasper's comments. Was a first round pick, but not one who lived up to that billing, so I think it's a surprisingly good return considering it's a Jeff Ireland trade.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #2037
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Russell Wilson gets the nod to be Week 1 starting QB. Seattle ships Travis Jackson to the Bills for an undisclosed draft pick.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #2038
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

John Parker Wilson released by Falcons
Old 08-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #2039
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Tavaris Jackson to the Bills for an undisclosed pick...

Really? Why? Are they going to cut Thigpen and Young?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #2040
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think the Seahawks start 2-4 and Wilson is benched week 7. They have to play Dallas, New England, Green Bay, and @Carolina 4 of first 6. The other 2 are at Arizona and at St. Louis. That is a rough start for a rookie. Throw in the fact that Flynn is going to be pissed and you have the makings for a fractured locker room.

I think this move gets Carroll canned at the end of the year.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #2041
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think the Seahawks start 2-4 and Wilson is benched week 7. They have to play Dallas, New England, Green Bay, and @Carolina 4 of first 6. The other 2 are at Arizona and at St. Louis. That is a rough start for a rookie.

The next two are @SF and @Detroit. The second half gets much better, but that's an ugly first half.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #2042
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Really? Why? Are they going to cut Thigpen and Young?

Deal close with Seattle on QB Jackson - Press Coverage - The Buffalo News

Quote:
Vince Young may have played himself out of a job with his underwhelming performance against the Pittsburgh Steelers Saturday night.

Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Caroll confirmed to reporters tonight that he expects his team to deal quarterback Tarvaris Jackson to the Buffalo Bills. The deal has not yet been finalized, while the Bills work on restructuring Jackson's contract. NFL.com first reported the trade talks.

Young threw two interceptions in the 38-7 loss to Pittsburgh and has struggled to look efficient in Chan Gailey's spread passing offense. Meanwhile, Bills backup Tyler Thigpen has had an unimpressive summer and did not see any action in Saturday's game. The situation raised major concerns about whether the Bills have any security whatsoever behind starting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick
Old 08-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #2043
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The next two are @SF and @Detroit. The second half gets much better, but that's an ugly first half.

yeah, I cut it off at 6 because by then I think the whole thing is going to be a mess.

Posted the same thing on the Seattle Times comments, prepared to get killed. Seahawks fans are eternal optimists. In the comments section the other day some idiot said Wilson could be the best QB in football.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #2044
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- That NE-San Fran stretch is also a Sunday-Thursday stretch. So they get to have their brains beaten in by Tom Brady then 3 days to prep for a road game at San Fran. Likely they make the change after the San Fran game when they have 10 days to prep.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #2045
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
yeah, I cut it off at 6 because by then I think the whole thing is going to be a mess.

Posted the same thing on the Seattle Times comments, prepared to get killed. Seahawks fans are eternal optimists. In the comments section the other day some idiot said Wilson could be the best QB in football.

Prepare to be surprised.. pleasantly. RW3 is the effin' man!
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #2046
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Tebow!!! oh.......
Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #2047
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Prepare to be surprised.. pleasantly. RW3 is the effin' man!

He has looked great, but once he starts seeing more complex defenses and having to play from behind I think it becomes obvious why he was a 3rd round pick.

HE also isn't going to be able to run as often against first team NFL defenders as much without getting crushed.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #2048
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Does Tebow really have a 0.0 passer rating against a second team defense?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #2049
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I don't think Wilson will struggle that much. He has a strong defense backing him up, and showed he could make smart decisions in every chance he got this preseason. He is Drew Brees with a RB's body. The touch and awareness he has shown in his play thus far has been good enough that I believe he will be successful and that Seattle will surprise some people. They may not challenge for the division, but I think they will challenge for a playoff spot. Only one defense in those first 8 games strikes me as reliably legit.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 08-26-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #2050
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Does Tebow really have a 0.0 passer rating against a second team defense?

The more I see of this Jets offense, the more I think they have a chance to be all time epic bad. Who is their best player, maybe Keller who is a top 8-10 TE? The line is a shambles. The receivers are terrible and the backs are average at best.

It sucks for Sanchez, but he's in the David Carr zone now. Their only chance to win is with Tebow and Sanchez is going to find a role as a backup somewhere for the next 8 years.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote