Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #2051
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Actually I don't love it ... but I know what you mean

Meanwhile, y'know, Roode has worked a nice match here. He's not going to get much notice because of his style but he's played his part quite well & really provides a pretty good example of a professional wrestler.

Agreed. Okay outing so far.

The XDivison Cluster was fun, but I hate EY, so whatever. The Knockouts went 10 minutes too long. Bashir and Rhino was too slow. Bashir isnt capable to carry an over the hill Rhino. The X-Division Champ losing clean was awful too.

Tag match was good.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #2052
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Tag match was good.

I'm trying to think back but maybe the best overall tag title match since AJ & Daniels were a team?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #2053
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm trying to think back but maybe the best overall tag title match since AJ & Daniels were a team?

I think so. A lot of TNA marks probably won't think so because it wasn't a spot fest, but that was a great old school tag match with some new aged feel to it. It worked really well, and everyone looked good.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #2054
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This Christian/Booker match is interesting. No one seems to know if Christian is leaving TNA or not. The gimmick is stupid, obviously, but I think if Booker wins Christian is probably headed up north.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #2055
DeToxRox
Head Coach

ICP and Scott Hall are no longer sitting at ringside.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #2056
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This Christian/Booker match is interesting. No one seems to know if Christian is leaving TNA or not. The gimmick is stupid, obviously, but I think if Booker wins Christian is probably headed up north.

FWIW, I saw some reports during the past week that say Cage has made it known privately (but not to TNA) that he isn't interested in going back to Vince.
Apparently (allegedly? reportedly?) he hasn't officially told TNA anything one way or the other.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #2057
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think Angle is probably about half looped and I don't think I'd want to hang out & drink coffee with the guy BUT after a running somersault off the stage can't say that he's phoning anything in. Props to him for that.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #2058
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I think Angle is probably about half looped and I don't think I'd want to hang out & drink coffee with the guy BUT after a running somersault off the stage can't say that he's phoning anything in. Props to him for that.

That was insane. He flew. But with his neck injuries in the past I am not sure it was the wisest idea for a throwaway match.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #2059
DeToxRox
Head Coach

For something like this to work .. you know .. the MEM needs to lose once. Instead Nash kills Joe.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #2060
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't know DTR, one night of domination actually fits the scenario okay I think. I don't like the way Nash got the win but the win itself isn't absolutely unbearable.

I'm far more annoyed by the way they backed themselves into a corner with the booking of Christian (assuming he is indeed staying). I'm not really a fan of the worker-as-unwilling-servant-to-others storylines and the predictability of it isn't something I'm looking forward to.

edit to add: One thing I always have to remind myself is that the pacing of storylines should be different now than in the Monday Night Wars era. Something that lasts a month for TNA runs 8 hours of TV plus 3 hours PPV. For WCW, a month was as much as 20 hours of TV per month plus the PPV (3 hour Nitros + 2 hour Thunders). So it's okay for me if they move more slowly with the eventual turning of the tide by the younger guys.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-09-2008 at 09:39 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #2061
DeToxRox
Head Coach

My problem is, yes Nash needed all that cheating to win, but Joe was dominated the last 10 minutes of the match it felt like. It totally negated what Joe did early. Nash is easily the weakest of the MEM, and Joe got owned, cheating or not. Nash is 50 and looks 60, it doesn't help Joe look any better imo.

Joe should've dominated the entire match, totally snapping, and at the end Nash finds away to stun him and take a cheap pin, and then take a bigger beatdown after until MEM help him escape.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #2062
DeToxRox
Head Coach

TNA STAR EXPECTED TO LEAVE FOR WWE SHORTLY
by Mike Johnson @ 12:09 PM on 11/10/2008

The word going around backstage last night at the TNA Turning Point PPV among the wrestlers is that Christian Cage will be leaving the company for WWE when his contract expires next month.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #2063
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

James Storm's beer cooler scooter made me laugh.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #2064
PilotMan
Head Coach

I saw Mark Henry at the Austin airport last week. I can tell you that in person that is one big dude.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #2065
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

The WWE Championship match had a great ending.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #2066
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

How is it that Santino is the highlight of Raw most weeks & yet most guys can't cut a simple promo any more?

Amazing, one of the best comedy talents in many years.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #2067
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
How is it that Santino is the highlight of Raw most weeks & yet most guys can't cut a simple promo any more?

Agreed totally. That was amazing.

Meanwhile Jon, you been reading TNA spoilers? Wow is it awful.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #2068
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

Santino is the reason to watch WWE programming these days. The matches are eh with some good spots, but the storylines are bad. There's no solid development of anything worthwhile.

But watching Santino try to do that move had me laughing out loud. Haven't done that watching WWE programming in a long time.

And now we get Cena back. Can they make him a heel already?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #2069
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think the worst part of the TNA booking at this point is not that it's bad, it's that there's more telegraphing each week than in the heyday of the Old West.

Ray Charles could see most of the next steps coming.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #2070
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
And now we get Cena back. Can they make him a heel already?

Wouldn't be easy, almost like trying to turn ReyRey.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #2071
rjolley
College Starter

Yeah, and that's a shame. I'd like to see him go on a big arrogant ego trip like The Rock used to take on his heel runs. At least it would be something different.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #2072
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LOLing at Stephanie, screwed up reading a promo & said "Sorry, I pulled an Adamle"
Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #2073
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Santino's great, and I think some of the other guys might be a little better if they had a distinctive character to sink their teeth into instead of "cool guy", which is the gimmick 9 out 10 wrestlers over the 10 years have had.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #2074
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{shakes head sadly at the latest Abyss angle}
Old 12-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #2075
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Final Resolution opens (predictably) with the Feast or Fired match.
Briefcases go to Curry Man, Hernandez, Homicide, and Jay Lethal who rolled through the celebrating Machine Guns & swiped the case Shelley had retrieved before he could take it to the floor to officially claim it. Lethal opened his case already, has the tag title shot.

Meanwhile, Taylor Wilde looks really really cute in her black & yellow spandex.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #2076
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

That felt like a non commercial IMPACT!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #2077
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Heh. You guys see what apparently happened in the Iraq trip for WWE?

Apparently JBL was hazing someone mercilessly on the trip, to the point that the two scuffled, once seperated and JBL broke free and went after em again, and the other guy landed a punch that gave JBL a black eye, cut him underneath the eye, and knocked him out.

That's crazy enough. The crazier part... is who did it.

OH MY GAWD

Yes, former ECW announcer Joey Styles was apparently the one that laid out JBL.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #2078
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Heh. You guys see what apparently happened in the Iraq trip for WWE?

Apparently JBL was hazing someone mercilessly on the trip, to the point that the two scuffled, once seperated and JBL broke free and went after em again, and the other guy landed a punch that gave JBL a black eye, cut him underneath the eye, and knocked him out.

That's crazy enough. The crazier part... is who did it.

OH MY GAWD

Yes, former ECW announcer Joey Styles was apparently the one that laid out JBL.

Old Skool ECW rocks. JBL picked on the wrong announcer. Heyman must be laughing his butt off on that news. I find that very funny.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"
hoosierdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #2079
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Here's the story:

PWINSIDER.COM EXCLUSIVE: OH MY GOD - YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED IN IRAQ
by Mike Johnson @ 9:52 AM on 12/9/2008

One of the most newsworthy events that transpired on World Wrestling Entertainment's tour of Iraq last week took place nowhere near any of the cameras that were filming the tour. I was stunned at hearing the following story over the weekend and initially chalked it up to being just an urban legend, but as it turns out, it was completely accurate.

Retired WWE announcer (and current WWE.com personality) Joey Styles punched out former WWE champion JBL in Iraq during an altercation between the two, busting JBL open under the eye.

No, that is not a typo.

As the story was initially explained to me (and all versions I've heard since have matched the original report I was conveyed), JBL made Styles something of a target because it was Styles' first tour of Iraq for the company and was hazing the former ECW announcer.

I was told JBL was trying to bully Styles with a lot of condescending comments and actions, including allegedly spilling a drink on Styles on purpose. JBL was more or less pulling a lot of the shenanigans that a lot of of the performers in the company can't stand but deal with since he has the political stroke of being a tenured veteran.

Several days into the tour, JBL (who by all accounts, had been drinking) did something that caused Styles to physically retaliate in defense. A number of wrestlers stepped between them and held the two apart. When JBL broke free, he went towards Styles, who "nailed him perfectly with a pretty good shot" according to one witness, laying JBL out, busting him open and blackening his eye.

There were no further incidents between the two on the tour after that.

There were a number of performers who pointed out to me that the story was something of karma coming back to bite JBL in the rear because his antics had caused Smackdown talent Palmer Cannon to quit the company during a European tour (and Cannon wasn't the only victim of JBL's hazing over the years) as well as the famous 2005 ECW One Night Stand beating of the Blue Meanie during the PPV closing brawl inside the ring.

At last night's Raw in Philadelphia, the story was the talk of the day among wrestlers, who were amazed by the incident. I was also told JBL was acting completely subdued at the taping, something absolutely out of character for him, as he knew the story was making the rounds. Styles, meanwhile, was trying to downplay the incident to those who brought it up to him at Raw.

It was considered doubly embarrassing for JBL among the wrestlers since he was so involved with setting up the Iraq tours.

In a strange way, some theorized the incident would get Styles over with Vince McMahon because it showed his "toughness" and could pave the way for his return to TV. I have no idea whether Styles' cameo last night was part of any direct result of the "Iraq Punchout", as it was termed to me.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #2080
Flasch186
Coordinator

so they put the belt on Jeff Hardy anyways eventhough he's completely proven unreliable over the years? smart.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #2081
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Man after that PPV last night it was well worth the wait, I actually mark'd out for Jeff when he won the title. Me, my roommate, and two friends all were cheering and high-fiving for his victory.

I expect his title run to be about month, where he'll drop the title too Edge at the Royal Rumble.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #2082
molson
General Manager

Saw a trailer for The Wrestler over the weekend - can't wait.

It's about time that someone took a shot on this kind of movie. It couldn't really happen before kayfabe died, and it couldn't really happen during the 90s because things were just so over the top. But now, finally, we apparently have it.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #2083
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think I actually get what TNA is shooting for with tonight's setup, something along the lines of the passion that we saw when the names were Flair, Windham, Rhodes, and so forth. And I think the talent is actually giving it their best shot, particularly the older faces. (it's a little harder for the heels 'cause a lot of them haven't been heels so often). But it's just not quite clicking for me here.

Jarrett is trying, BG is trying, Foley is trying (although he's a little off his game IMO except for the payoff line at the end of his promo tonight), especially since they had to shuffle the vocal leadership with Cage's departure but I don't think that would have gotten it over the top either.

Truth is, I don't think this month's set up is terrible, it's just not great.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #2084
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I think I actually get what TNA is shooting for with tonight's setup, something along the lines of the passion that we saw when the names were Flair, Windham, Rhodes, and so forth. And I think the talent is actually giving it their best shot, particularly the older faces. (it's a little harder for the heels 'cause a lot of them haven't been heels so often). But it's just not quite clicking for me here.

Jarrett is trying, BG is trying, Foley is trying (although he's a little off his game IMO except for the payoff line at the end of his promo tonight), especially since they had to shuffle the vocal leadership with Cage's departure but I don't think that would have gotten it over the top either.

Truth is, I don't think this month's set up is terrible, it's just not great.

Well, Christian was supposed to have Rhinos role, and now he going to the E kills that.

ALso, Low Ki signed with WWE and worked FCW tonight.

How bizzare is that?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #2085
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ALso, Low Ki signed with WWE and worked FCW tonight. How bizarre is that?

Extremely.

I'm happy he'll get a regular paycheck but from a ring career standpoint it's highly bizarre indeed. Is there a guy in the US that actually fits into the WWE less than him?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #2086
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Extremely.

I'm happy he'll get a regular paycheck but from a ring career standpoint it's highly bizarre indeed. Is there a guy in the US that actually fits into the WWE less than him?

Nope.

Apparently Rey was pushing for him and wanted to work him on Raw. I guess with Sydal/Bourne getting over they feel like they could get use out of Ki.

Sadly, he needs a manager, and they dont' do that in WWE anymore.

I think his first couple months will be good, and then he gets pushed aside and is back doing indies by the summer.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #2087
molson
General Manager

There was a story out a few days go about the WWE doing some financial re-structuring, including cutting 10% of its staff. A few workers got the axe yesterday:

Wrestlers:
D'Lo Brown
Bam Neely
Val Venis
Kevin Thorn
Gavin Spears
Mike Kruel

Refs:
Keenan Quinn
Mike Posey
Jimmy Korderas
Tim White

No huge surprises, but Venis' 11-year WWE run comes to an end.

Last edited by molson : 01-10-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #2088
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heh.

Deadest crowd I've ever heard at a PPV is now underway as Shelly faces Sabin in a X Title match. They come out & went straight to mat wrestling & counters (as I told my son they would do before they started, to play to Foley's orders about putting on a show or else) and the crowd just stiffed it.

And, as I'm typing this, I realize that the crowd mics are turned almost all the way to zero because you can faintly hear some noise that matches some of the reactions you see in the background. But this has a very old school pre-80's feel, when you had long matches that didn't have a lot of crowd noise as the tension slowly built.

edit: Sure enough, they've told the story through near fall after near fall and have the crowd on the feet now.
Double edit: LOL at the Heely McHeel finish by Shelley.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-11-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #2089
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

PWI reporting that the Nash hospitalization bit is a straight shoot, that Nash was admitted to a Charlotte hospital earlier today with a severe staph infection & may have blood poisoning.

The can't-find-Rhino bit however is an angle.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-11-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #2090
DeToxRox
Head Coach

TNA MAIN EVENTER HOSPITALIZED, WON'T BE APPEARING ON PPV
by Mike Johnson @ 8:40 PM on 1/11/2009

For those wondering, what TNA said on tonight's PPV regarding Kevin Nash is a shoot. Nash was hospitalized earlier today in Charlotte, NC with a severe staph infection in his elbow and there is a strong fear he may have blood poisoning.

I am told it's a really serious infection and there is a lot of concern backstage for Nash's well being.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #2091
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Woops. Just saw Jon beat me to it.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #2092
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Woops. Just saw Jon beat me to it.

Yeah, but I had an embarassing typo that I was able to fix because you posted so it's all good
Old 01-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #2093
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Shelley vs Sabin was amazing ..

Davairi vs Sewell .. no.

And that match went out like 7 minutes too long.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #2094
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Davairi vs Sewell .. no.

I don't know if they have much choice but to let some matches run long at this point though. The card was already short before they lost the women's title match.

For what it was, Sewell & Daivari served it's purpose I think, at least they avoided the temptation to string it out another month. And Sewell can probably hold his own in a short feud with Booker, at least as interesting to me as anything else they can do with KB at this point (I'm beyond over the silly Idi Amin accent)
Old 01-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #2095
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Shelley vs Sabin was amazing ..

Quote:
Davairi vs Sewell .. no.

Waste of a match.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #2096
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Good to see Beer Money win.

Pretty obvious ending but at least the long winded Abyss/Morgan breakup can finally end.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #2097
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looks like nice new ring attire for Saed/Melissa.

Add me to the wish they'd get her out of this dead end gimmick & let her work as herself or some variation of herself (I'm not a fan of the Cheerleader gimmick, but do like Anderson's work).
Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #2098
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, that's the danger of booking on the fly.

And if that's the best option available, Lord have mercy, why not move this out of the main main event & into the second slot instead?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #2099
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Okay, that's the danger of booking on the fly.

And if that's the best option available, Lord have mercy, why not move this out of the main main event & into the second slot instead?

Or have Brother Devon get punked and make it 2 on 2?

I mean .. really? I doubt ANYONE would care if Devon wasn't in the match. They wanna see AJ and Foley so give it to them.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #2100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I mean .. really? I doubt ANYONE would care if Devon wasn't in the match. They wanna see AJ and Foley so give it to them.

Probably need Devon to participate though, if he is indeed destined to continue as a singles worker if Ray does reduce his schedule or even retire as being rumored recently. How he's perceived by the existing TNA audience against guys like Booker & Steiner and alongside AJ & Foley while being outside his usual element (i.e without Ray, tag match or not) probably has at least some minor bearing on what sort of future he might have.