Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #2101
Joe
Pro Starter

So who won the 2010 Ohio State - Penn State game?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #2102
molson
General Manager

I bet the statute will be in storage for a while, and then they'll show it to people on tours, and then it will be in there deep in the stadium if you know where to look for it, and then someday there will be a new stadium and the statute will be a part of some little in-stadium exhibit about "celebrating the past for a better future" or something. It'll take a gradual re-entry, but time tempers everything.

Last edited by molson : 07-23-2012 at 09:35 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #2103
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, but in the case of vacated wins doesn't the loser still have the loss?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #2104
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, but in the case of vacated wins doesn't the loser still have the loss?

I believe I read that vacated wins don't count as a win/loss for either team involved.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #2105
molson
General Manager

I love how wikipedia cooperates with NCAA sanctions.

List of Penn State Nittany Lions football seasons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #2106
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Why would they ever put the statue back up? Caving to peer pressure from the student base and alumni?

His name is still on the library as a reminder for everybody to stay quiet inside.

Hilarious.... It's never been said before in this thread before.

Ive tried to stay in my "hole" and I prob should, but I think people are delusional about what they think is realistic (for penn state). I would be shocked if it it didnt come back out and be placed somewhere in the next 5 years after all the national outrage dies down.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #2107
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Hilarious.... It's never been said before in this thread before.

had it been? I completely missed it if so. I don't generally go back and read everything. I saw it on twitter the other day.

Oh well, it's a good quote

Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #2108
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Paterno's page was changed this morning when I looked at it just before 10am.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #2109
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Yeah, so we'll see if all of those Jersey kids are heading to Rutgers or if they're going to California, essentially.

I guess the real thing is, so many of these programs already have things figured out that it seems the real trickle-down might be to 2nd tier programs. It'd be crazy if say, a MAC program got a bunch of PSU second-string kids and provided they were any good (big if, obviously..) could make something happen with that.

It's quite the possibility.

Could opt for the ACC. Nicer weather (in most cases), teams still aren't so good that they couldn't be able to step in and play.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #2110
bhlloy
Coordinator

A bit late for my 2 cents, but I think a 4 year bowl and championship ban is going to hurt a lot more that people are giving it credit for. That's a couple of recruiting classes who probably aren't even going to look at PSU plus a bunch of underclassmen leaving as well. In 5-6 years that team is going to be decimated, especially with the scholarship reductions. I think it's essentially on par with a 1 year death sentence in terms of long term outlook.

Now the punishment is handed down, I have to agree with Molson and others that it has a touch of sad and ridiculous about it. So covering up child rape is approximately twice as bad as what happened at USC, now at least we know. At the end of the day clearly something needs to change with the football program and the place it has in the school but it should have been the school stepping down a division for football or voluntarily shutting the program down for a couple years, and if they wouldn't do it then the state should have.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #2111
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think essentially doing to them what the University of Chicago did to themselves would've achieved the purpose of diminishing the importance of football. The problem there is the B1G is essentially screwed. Not that they couldn't replace Penn State easily and not that some other conference in a lower division wouldn't be happy to have PSU as a member either. But...I think they felt the idea was to make it "hurt" without actually leaving scorched earth behind.

Mostly because of the precedent it'd set.

But again, it's the NCAA we're talking about here. Not an honorable organization or anything.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-23-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #2112
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Does anyone else conjure up the last scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark when they think about them putting the statue in an "undisclosed location"
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #2113
PilotMan
Head Coach

I seriously don't think the punishment was far enough. A 6-7 year ban on bowls, and double the financial pain to start.

Penn State will always have financial backers that will put this program back on the map in a few years. This whole thing should have taken them off the map for the next 10.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #2114
MrBug708
Head Coach

Did anyone hear the one about the library?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #2115
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Did anyone hear the one about the library?

Don't judge a book by its cover-up?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #2116
MrBug708
Head Coach

USC might get it's feature RB as they are going to recruit Silas Redd, PSU RB.

Only the NCAA would allow something like this. The sanctioned exchange program
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #2117
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I seriously don't think the punishment was far enough. A 6-7 year ban on bowls, and double the financial pain to start.

Penn State will always have financial backers that will put this program back on the map in a few years. This whole thing should have taken them off the map for the next 10.

That's why kicking them to D3 (or more realistically FCS) would've been the best play. No one gives a shit who wins FCS titles. (Sorry wade)
Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #2118
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
No one gives a shit who wins FCS titles. (Sorry wade)

Ouch!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #2119
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
So who won the 2010 Ohio State - Penn State game?

Given the thousand of articles that will be coming for next's year MLB HOF voting, I wonder..... will JoePa's HOF plaque have an asterisk or reflect this era in any way? Or do we just remove him altogether and not acknowledge that PED era?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #2120
saldana
Pro Starter

the PSU president made a statement at some point where he responded to the questiong of why they signed the Consent Decree, and he answered that he was give the choice of signing without fighting, or "multiple years of the death penalty".

i wonder how the stupid trustees that are pissed that they werent consulted first would feel about that?
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #2121
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I believe as a result of Ohio State vacating those games in 2010 and Penn State vacating its wins, Rich Rod ends up as having a winning record as Michigan's head coach.

Good job, Rich Rod!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #2122
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I believe as a result of Ohio State vacating those games in 2010 and Penn State vacating its wins, Rich Rod ends up as having a winning record as Michigan's head coach.

Good job, Rich Rod!

Even in sarcasm, I refuse to acknowledge anything Rich Rod "did" for Michigan.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #2123
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
the PSU president made a statement at some point where he responded to the questiong of why they signed the Consent Decree, and he answered that he was give the choice of signing without fighting, or "multiple years of the death penalty".

i wonder how the stupid trustees that are pissed that they werent consulted first would feel about that?

They are upset.

In the USA today paper

Penn State trustee: School 'rolled over and played dead' to NCAA
Old 07-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #2124
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Dude's got a point:

Quote:
"If I'm going to be held accountable, I feel like I should've been part of that process," Lubrano added. "I think it's fair to say that a number of board members are upset."

Quote:
Meanwhile, a group called Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship issued a statement Monday that, in part, blamed the board for the NCAA's severe punishment.

"To rely upon such a report to issue punishment is beyond reckless, and should not be supported in any way by the leadership of Penn State," said the group. "By agreeing to these sanctions, every single member of the Penn State Board of Trustees has blatantly failed in their fiduciary responsibilities to the university. With each passing hour, we are gaining additional alumni support in our demand to have them resign immediately."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #2125
corbes
College Benchwarmer

On a scale of 1 to 10, how ugly is the scene going to be at the football games this year, both home and away? 8? 23? 504? One billion?
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #2126
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
On a scale of 1 to 10, how ugly is the scene going to be at the football games this year, both home and away? 8? 23? 504? One billion?

I think the home games will be fine except I think a lot of people are going to take offense to what is going to happen (goes back to the culture comments and arguments).

Road games on the other hand I think are going to get out of hand. I think there will be fans (both good and the crazy) that don't know how to deal with the anger that will come their way and that's when the potential for stuff to hit the fan will hit the fan.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #2127
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Road games on the other hand I think are going to get out of hand.
Let's see...lots of alcohol consumption...child molestation...."us against the world" mentality....revered icon being shat upon in the worst terms by opposing fans....

What could POSSIBLY go wrong with that combination???
Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #2128
molson
General Manager

I imagine the typical Penn St. fan that can afford to travel to road games isn't the type of fan twitter is making famous at the moment, so that should help.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #2129
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I imagine the typical Penn St. fan that can afford to travel to road games isn't the type of fan twitter is making famous at the moment, so that should help.
You haven't been to many big-time college football games, I take it.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #2130
bhlloy
Coordinator

Really the potential for ugliness is another compelling reason they shouldn't have been playing at all this year. And I don't necessarily agree that money = class. I think there will be incidents at every road game, only question is how bad
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #2131
Autumn
Head Coach

I think it's the road fans that will be the problem as much as any Penn State fans. Have you seen what a bit of self-righteousness does to a group of young, aggressive, testosterone-laden and alcohol imbibing group? I expect that it will be drunken opposition fans which will start the real trouble, feeding into the Penn State martyred fan complex.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #2132
Ben E Lou

Ehhhh...to be fair, many of PSU's games may be farther away than what I'm used to. When I lived in Atlanta, roughly half of the Dawgs' road games didn't necessarily require a hotel room if they weren't at night.

EDIT: But yeah, what Autumn said: drunken opposition fans start it up, martyred fans with chip on shoulder unable to let it go when one of them yells that "Joe Paterno was a child-raping faggot."

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-24-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #2133
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
You haven't been to many big-time college football games, I take it.

I've been to quite a few, though I've never heard anyone yelling stuff like I read in those tweets or being physically violent. More often the road fans who have traveled some distance (like Penn St. fans would have to) are retired people who own a big RV and travel around during the football season. But, I've never been to an SEC game (and Penn St. won't have to go to an SEC stadium, I don't think).

Last edited by molson : 07-24-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #2134
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I've been to quite a few, though I've never heard anyone yelling stuff like I read in those tweets or being physically violent. More often the road fans who have traveled some distance (like Penn St. fans would have to) are retired people who own a big RV and travel around during the football season. But, I've never been to an SEC game (and Penn St. won't have to go to an SEC stadium, I don't think).
Yeah, see above. If you live in metro Atlanta, an afternoon road game in Knoxville, Nashville, Columbia, Auburn, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, or Clemson can be as cheap as a ticket and 2 fast-food meals. (Having been a young single guy in ministry living in Atlanta, I know that one very well. )

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-24-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #2135
Easy Mac

"child-raping faggot."

Heck, I've been called that at a Wofford game by some drunk frat boys after Furman beat them. I've been heckled by Clemson fans in derogatory ways after they beat 1-AA Furman by only 2 TDs.

I don't think people in other parts of the country realize how idiotic drunk Southern frat boys act regarding college football. All they see are dumb signs on college game day.

I don't recall calling other teams fans pedarists, but I've definitely referenced their propensity for jail time or their anger towards women (see Georgia Southern, App State and Citadel).
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #2136
molson
General Manager

Ya, now that I think about it, my division 1 college football game attendance experience (Washington, Oregon, Boise St, Syracuse, Purdue, Boston College, UConn), probably leans heavily towards the "polite" fan side....but I think Penn St's road schedule does also.

Last edited by molson : 07-24-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #2137
Ben E Lou

I think they'll have their share of drunken opposition fans...

September 8 Virginia Away - Noon
September 29 Illinois Away
October 20 Iowa Away - 8PM
November 3 Purdue Away
November 10 Nebraska Away
Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #2138
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

Right, but if the other option was a multi year death penalty, I want to hear from that guy if he still thinks he shoukd have been consulted.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #2139
molson
General Manager

And Penn St. will probably attract a lot of non-football fan drunk hooligans everywhere they go too, "hey, the child molesters are in town, let's go fuck 'em up!"
Old 07-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #2140
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Right, but if the other option was a multi year death penalty, I want to hear from that guy if he still thinks he shoukd have been consulted.

Yes they would have liked to be in on the conversation. I'm sure they would have debated if the ncaa would have really given them a 4 year death penalty. I'm not sure anything would be different but at least they would have some say in which direction they went. The fact that they still have no power is mind bending to me. That's part of the reason we are in the situation we are in to begin with.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #2141
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

I saw this on the ESPN ticker this morning-and I was pretty annoyed at the NCAA giving them an ultimatum like that-now I'm not sure how I should feel about it.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #2142
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I saw this on the ESPN ticker this morning-and I was pretty annoyed at the NCAA giving them an ultimatum like that-now I'm not sure how I should feel about it.

Before I believe the PSU President's claim that that NCAA threatened them with a multi-year death penalty if PSU did not accept the other punishment, I'd like to hear some corroborating evidence. The NCAA is capable of doing something like that, but the PSU president is also capable of lying to get himself out of trouble with the board, so I am not sure whether to believe the president or not about this.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #2143
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't care if they gave them an ultimatum or not. PSU's reaction to it didn't have to be any different. If they decided it was best for the school, they could have protested either potential penalty and insisted that the NCAA go the regular route in investigating and levying penalties, and I assume part of it would have been the legal battle of whether the NCAA has authority to levy ANY penalties in this situation, much less those they didn't investigate at all. It's not like they wouldn't have had any recourse if they refused to agree to the Consent Agreement and the NCAA tried to levy the death penalty.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #2144
bronconick
College Starter

After all of this crap where the board supposedly didn't know anything about any of the coverup (apparently backed up at least partially by the Freeh report), I'm surprised the president has the authority to do anything other than day to day actions without a vote. An interim president just consented for the NCAA to hammer them. If Emmert supposedly cornered him and said "Sign this or else" Erickson's response should have been "I don't have the authority to agree to this."

This has got to be for the most part, the dumbest Board of Trustees I have ever seen.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #2145
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
This has got to be for the most part, the dumbest Board of Trustees I have ever seen.

Clearly you haven't paying attention.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #2146
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
Before I believe the PSU President's claim that that NCAA threatened them with a multi-year death penalty if PSU did not accept the other punishment, I'd like to hear some corroborating evidence. The NCAA is capable of doing something like that, but the PSU president is also capable of lying to get himself out of trouble with the board, so I am not sure whether to believe the president or not about this.

NCAA's Mark Emmert establishes with Penn State sanctions that he's in charge like no one else - Yahoo! Sports
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #2147
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Id like to see Sandusky get served to the Penn St mob. That would seem like justice.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-24-2012 at 12:19 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #2148
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

I've been serving as an academic administrator in a university setting for a few years now, and based on that experience I'd say that administrative protocol in higher education all but demands that a university's president consult with the board on matters of such highly visible institutional importance. Even if the outcome of that consultation wouldn't have changed anything, they should still have been consulted. There are no scenarios under which the president should agree to these sanctions without at least briefing the board.

If I'm chair of the board I would seriously consider a motion to fire Erickson. The board needs to show that it is asserting control over the institution, and Erickson's actions show that they've been ineffective so far. They need to make a statement - and termination may be the only way to get their message across. It would create additional institutional upheaval, and it may make it harder to find a good president in the near future, but that short-ish term pain would be worthwhile if the board's authority is reestablished for the long term.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #2149
miami_fan
Coordinator

Curious......

Graham Spanier wants to set record straight with Penn State Nittany Lions' Board of Trustees - ESPN

Quote:
In the letter, Spanier also points out that he has undergone significant background checks and received national top security clearance from the federal government in his new job -- clearance that required a review once the Sandusky matter became public last fall, he wrote. Spanier told Freeh investigators of this during a five-hour interview earlier this month, but it was omitted from Freeh's report, he wrote to the trustees.

I am not against Spanier getting another job or even working for the government, but having gone through the TS clearance a couple of times it is surprising that this was not a dis-qualifier.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #2150
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
I've been serving as an academic administrator in a university setting for a few years now, and based on that experience I'd say that administrative protocol in higher education all but demands that a university's president consult with the board on matters of such highly visible institutional importance. Even if the outcome of that consultation wouldn't have changed anything, they should still have been consulted. There are no scenarios under which the president should agree to these sanctions without at least briefing the board.

If I'm chair of the board I would seriously consider a motion to fire Erickson. The board needs to show that it is asserting control over the institution, and Erickson's actions show that they've been ineffective so far. They need to make a statement - and termination may be the only way to get their message across. It would create additional institutional upheaval, and it may make it harder to find a good president in the near future, but that short-ish term pain would be worthwhile if the board's authority is reestablished for the long term.

That was my thought as well. How do they agree to a 60 million liability without consulting the body legally responsible for the institution?